MongoDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MongoDB is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top NoSQL Databases. It is most often compared to InfluxDB: MongoDB vs InfluxDB

What is MongoDB?
Open source database alternative to relational databases. It simplifies development and is extremely scalable.
MongoDB Buyer's Guide

Download the MongoDB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

MongoDB Customers
Facebook, MetLife, City of Chicago, Expedia, eBay, Google
MongoDB Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MongoDB pricing:
  • "We are using the Community Edition of MongoDB."
  • "We use the open-source version, which is available to use free of charge."
  • "It is rather expensive."

MongoDB Reviews

Sushil Dwivedi
Team Lead at RBS Securities
Good security, highly-available when installed in a cluster, and no schema is needed to store data

• "We can define security rules at the database level or the cluster level to grant or deny access to particular users."
  • "Data encryption is possible using third-party tools but they should have their own encryption capability built-in to this solution."

What is our primary use case?

I have done a variety of things with MongoDB that started with the adoption of this solution at one company. I was involved in setting up the cluster and then the monitoring, alerting, and backup process. Once all of the set up was complete, I was involved in writing some of the components that were responsible for fetching data from MongoDB.

We are now responsible for running the platform, so whoever wants to run MongoDB comes to us and we explain how we can deploy the cluster for their applications. At this point, we build a cluster in the servers under a UNIX account. The number of nodes in the cluster depends on the requirements of the application side.

Some of the use cases we have configured MongoDB for are desk-tooling and a payment card profiling project. We are currently working on a data exchange platform. We also have a couple of use cases in the pipeline for potential MongoDB clients who also need the MongoDB Ops Manager.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that we don't need a schema to store the data.

The security is very good. Cybersecurity, authentication, authorization, and server certifications are all valuable features. We can define security rules at the database level or the cluster level to grant or deny access to particular users.

This is a highly available architecture. If you are using a three-node cluster and one of these goes down then either of the secondary nodes will become a priority to eliminate downtime from the application's perspective.

What needs improvement?

The documentation for MongoDB is not very good and should be improved. Some of the documents are referring to legacy versions. MongoDB 4.2 has been released, but there are training documents and other documentation that still refers to versions 3.6 and 3.4, which is not good. They should definitely update the documentation as new software is released.

Information about upcoming and recently released features should be made available so that we are aware of the latest features, and how we can manage the issues that will accompany them.

I have been working with MongoDB for the last three years.

We have not had any issues with stability.

We have a support portal where we can log tickets and fix issues. We contact them directly and we can set up a call whenever we need help from them.

For some issues, I would rate technical support a nine out of ten, or a ten out of ten. However, at other times, I would rate them a seven out of ten. It depends on who is dealing with the ticket. There are times where they respond to tickets very quickly and things get resolved in a timely manner. At other times, it takes ages to resolve the problem.

We did not use a different NoSQL solution prior to MongoDB.

We continue to use Microsoft SQL Server for other types of database implementations that require SQL, which I also have expertise in.

The initial setup is not very complex. We used the MongoDB resources to understand how to set it up on a Linux server, and after that, we prepared our own document that explains how to install it. Now it is quite straightforward, although if you are going with a more granular level of configuration, such as enabling other parameters on the cluster, then it would be different. I would say that set up would be a little more difficult, but not much. It's very simple using the MongoDB Ops Manager.

We offer three types of services on the MongoDB platform. First is the ODS service, second is the MongoDB SQL, and third is MongoDB standalone. For standalone, we are providing services on the tenant. With respect to shared services, we have the infrastructure but we have to set up their database on the shared servers. This will be useful for some use cases. The standalone configuration takes approximately 15 to 20 days to set up. It is sometimes less but it takes the time to create and configure the UNIX account because we have a third-party dependency for that.

The ODS solution will be better for enterprise data such as those involving payments, accounts, and customers.

What other advice do I have?

MongoDB is a solution that I can recommend because we have realized good benefits from it. We are in the process of setting up the ODS project, which should help the organization from a cost perspective. Then we will be moving the mainframe data to ODS, and we can use the MongoDB API to fetch data from there and provide real-time solutions to the customer.

At this time, I cannot judge the benefit of MongoDB in isolation, but as time goes on, perhaps by the end of the year, I will have a better idea.

Pranesh Vittal
Associate Director - Database & DevOps at Medlife
A flexible solution that is cost-effective and developer-friendly

• "MongoDB is extremely developer-friendly because when you are starting, there is very little time needed upfront in terms of planning."
  • "MongoDB should not be used for reporting, analytics, or number-crunching tasks."

What is our primary use case?

When the company started, MongoDB was our primary database.

It offers great flexibility where developers can define any key and assign a value to it. This means that there is very little that one has to plan in terms of designing the schema upfront, so developers enjoy a lot of flexibility. Now that we have more use cases for which NoSQL is not suitable, we are trying to move those workloads out of MongoDB.

What is most valuable?

MongoDB is extremely developer-friendly because when you are starting, there is very little time needed upfront in terms of planning. Whenever a developer wants to build a certain feature, they simply define a key and a value and that's it.

It is very easy to create an index on a field that you want to have searchable.

All of the documents are stored in JSON format, which gives developers a lot of flexibility.

What needs improvement?

MongoDB should not be used for reporting, analytics, or number-crunching tasks.

The pricing should be improved because the whole design is around replication of data, so in terms of storage costs, in the long run, it will be expensive. The amount of storage grows very quickly when compared to other databases that store data in normalized form. If there were a way that some data could be partitioned or moved into cold storage then it would be very good.

We have been using MongoDB for about four and a half years.

There are bugs in the system but they are not very significant. We have found a workaround for each of those bugs and we have been running the full-scale production cluster for more than four and a half years. As we haven't had any issues, I would say that it is pretty stable.

This solution is used constantly by both us and our customers, every second of every day.

We are not looking at increasing our usage. Rather, we will be moving some of our workloads off of MongoDB. Ultimately, usage will be at a standstill or perhaps even reduced.

This is a scalable solution. We have close to 100 developers who use it. In addition, our entire business makes use of MongoDB. Everything the customer does makes use of this solution, so I would say that we have at least 100,000 users.

Because we are using the Community Edition, we don't have any support whatsoever.

We did interact with them for MongoDB Atlas, and we are still in contact with them to see if we can take something into production a couple of quarters from now.

We did not use another NoSQL database solution prior to MongoDB.

When we installed MongoDB the initial setup was complex. However, now with Atlas, it is very easy. It took us less than a week to deploy and now, with Atlas, there are a lot of things that you don't need to know that was required four years ago.

I did the original cluster deployment on my own.

We are using the Community Edition of MongoDB. However, we would be happy if the pricing for the full version were more competitive.

We use a lot of different database products and the choice depends on the use case.

With respect to NoSQL, we did not evaluate other vendors because when we implemented this solution four and a half years ago, it was the only scalable NoSQL database. This made it a rather obvious choice for us at the time.

What other advice do I have?

The features that I have looked for are in this solution and we are using an older version. The current cloud-offering, MongoDB Atlas, has even more features. It would be a natural fit for us, but it will not be easy to move because we have a lot of dependencies. We have to update drivers, isolate collections, and take care of other issues before we can switch.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution, or any other database, is to take care to plan your indexes because it is extremely important. Spending some time designing the document structure in the initial phase will certainly help you in the long run.

I would also suggest that in terms of sharding, try to think about it as early as possible so that when you are ready to scale, it will certainly help to reduce the workload.

Do not rely on MongoDB for any of the analytics use cases. Aggregation works well but do not use it for your reporting or analytics or number crunching-related tasks.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about MongoDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
LourensWalters
Senior Program Manager and Data Scientist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Allows a lot more scalability and is completely open-source

What is our primary use case?

We used MongoDB to implement a healthcare application into the Amazon Cloud. We deployed that architecture within the South African public health care sector.

What is most valuable?

One feature that we found most valuable is that it is completely open source - this was majorly important. Because we worked for a nongovernmental organization we had to work with only open source tools. So that was a big selling point for MongoDB. We also needed a document-based DB to build this FHIR application on top of, MongoDB offers.

Another major selling point was that they're massively scalable. The fact that unlike relational databases, MongoDB allows a lot more scalability and it was more suited for the type of data that we were storing, which was semi-structured healthcare data. It provided very nicely for the standards that we were working - FHIR - which could be interfaced with JSON and Mongo. It had very good JSON capability and storage. Overall, it was a combination of what we were trying to store and the scalability in terms of being able to store a lot of this information over time.

What needs improvement?

We were quite happy with the product and the actual use of it. We had no particular problem.

In the future, if they could look into supporting FHIR better. FHIR is a healthcare standard. I don't know what that would mean, but, we had to implement a layer on top of it that implements FHIR. But if MongoDB can look into implementing that would be useful.

The two things that were very important for us were basically performance and compatibility.

I have been using this product for about a year.

It is very stable.

We had issues. It wasn't operationalized yet, but our feeling was that it was easy to set up and easy to operate and very stable. So I would say our compatibility and performance are the two things that came up that I know in the project we had problems with. The rest wasn't at any point an issue.

It's massively scalable. It is very scalable in terms of being able to store a lot of this information over time.

In terms of how many users are using this solution, it was a large database with many objects being pumped into it. But, for our purposes, it was just not necessarily the number of users, but the amount of automation being integrated

It was used by the Provincial department of health, or country. So it was basically the nine provinces in South Africa. And each of them had it. It was all the HIV and TB data for all the departments of health in South Africa. It was big.

I can't recall any issues that our technical team ever had. My feeling was that they were satisfied.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was a pleasure to work with, for everyone. So setting it up, getting up and running, pumping data into it, and actually looking and querying the data was super simple. We were up and running within an hour. We could literally install and start ingesting information into it from the word go. It was very simple to set up and to have tools to actually query and pump objects into it.

We implemented ourselves.

I would definitely recommend MongoDB. I'm hoping MongoDB will continue to be developed from strength to strength because I think it's an awesome tool. I hope that other products, like DocumentDB, will find a way to work with MongoDB to improve the overall stability of the product. It would be good if other services that host Mongo would become more readily available. It was very useful to actually have a hosted MongoDB set up that is maintained by Mongo Atlas.

I would rate it 9 out of 10 because we had very little issues and it did exactly what we wanted it to do.

What other advice do I have?

MongoDB Atlas was the deployment mechanism we went with and that was hugely helpful for us. MongoDB Atlas is part of the MongoDB suite, I think. It's just a deployment of the Mongo. We also deployed it on Amazon using DocumentDB, but we found that MongoDB Atlas worked better in the end.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Deepak Kumar  T R
Managing Director at SimSol Technologies And Services Pvt Ltd
Quite scalable, easy to deploy, and affordable

• "The solution's most important aspect is its seamless database."
  • "The on-premises version of the solution is still pretty expensive, especially compared to the cloud version."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a database. It's basically used as a storage engine.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a very dynamic product. It becomes extremely easy for us to support user requirements and we also make use of the simplicity of a cloud redeployment.

The solution is easy to deploy.

The product can scale quite well.

The cloud version of the solution is very affordable.

The solution's most important aspect is its seamless database.

The solution offers excellent documentation.

What needs improvement?

The management on the cloud is pretty good, however, the on-premises deployment model is a bit more difficult in this area.

If they want to make their product a little competitive, they'll have to go to organizations and get a bit more commercial in their approach. They need to think about pricing and licensing for RDBMS players. For them to be competitive in the market, they will have to think of strategies other than what they have currently. Their pricing definitely needs to improve.

We've been working with the solution for four years now. It's actually coming up on five years soon.

We've never faced any issues with stability. It's been very good so far. It doesn't crash or freeze, and it's not buggy by any means.

The solution is extremely scalable When we need to expand it out, we know we can do so easily.

We have about five products that factor into the needs of the BFSI segment in India. These proprietary products developed on five or ten platforms. We don't develop MongoDB, we just use it as a storage platform.

Currently, we also use RDBMS. We use Oracle for some other products. We don't just use MongoDB exclusively.

While Oracle is better for transactional services, MongoDB is extremely good at support services. That's the main difference. I have seen people use MongoDB for transactional as well, however, I have never attempted it, so I can't speak to it's capabilities.

The solution is very easy to deploy. The implementation is not complex at all.

The on-premise implementation takes a bit longer. We're looking at a six month implementation for one of our clients, for example.

We handle the implementation ourselves in-house. We don't need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

For people who can afford it, there are good subscription offers that are available on the cloud as well as on-premises. On-premises is still a little expensive. However, if a company decides to go to the cloud, it is pretty affordable.

If the company is small, there is a community edition that can be taken advantage of. If a company needs to scale quite a bit, they'll need to move up to the enterprise version.

Due to the fact that we are a BFSI focused product company, we typically recommend that users go for the enterprise-level license.

There is also pricing surrounding support. We're in discussions with MongoDB about that now. I don't know the exact costing just yet, however, I know it isn't free.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer of MongoDB. We don't embed it in our application, however, we recommend it to our clients who use our product.

We're mostly on the cloud deployment version of the solution However, we do have a banking client who requires an on-premises solution. We work with both and have experience with both.

This solution is perfectly suited for companies of all sizes, from small to large. Small companies can definitely use the community version, however, this product offers an enterprise-level license for much larger organizations as well.

I'd advise new users to be flexible and be able to change their mindset when it comes to MongoDB and what is in the RDBMS. there's a bit to unlearn before you re-learn MongoDB. The solution does have a good survey of languages and it's quite good.

Due to the fact that is scales well, I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
JG
Senior Associate at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Good for transformation and data storage but quite expensive for smaller organizations

• "The initial setup isn't really that complex."
  • "MongoDB should better support small and medium companies. There are a lot of clients out there that are interested, however, they need something lighter and less complex and something not so expensive upfront."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for long-term storage. We use it to store all our data. We also use it to support microservices that already have calculated data. We don't use it for any other purpose.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is the ability to easily store documentation regarding structures.

We can easily connect to MongoDB and search without transformation, without joining. If we want to use a simple search it's really fast.

The initial setup isn't really that complex.

The solution is pretty stable overall.

What needs improvement?

If we want to perform some joins or some other types of transformation that are more advanced, in that case, we cannot use MongoDB. We need to use another solution.

The solution needs to better support modern aspects of search engines. There is typically a microservice layer and MongoDB doesn't support well within search engines. If you want to create some complex structures, you need something like Elasticsearch, for example.

The pricing is expensive.

MongoDB should better support small and medium companies. There are a lot of clients out there that are interested, however, they need something lighter and less complex and something not so expensive upfront.

I've been using the solution for the past two or three years.

The stability of the solution is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's pretty good overall.

I've never used technical support. I can't speak to their level of responsiveness or how knowledgeable they are.

We previously mostly used SQL databases. We used Microsoft SQL mostly and we needed some NoSQL databases. That's why we implemented Elasticsearch and MongoDB. We wanted a NoSQL database that we could search, however, was also capable of long-term storage.

The initial setup is not so complex when we are talking about on-prem solutions. It's an easy initial setup. We are fine with that.

I was surprised, however, by the lack of support offered during implementation. You are left to your own devices. There isn't much guidance - especially on so complex a transformation.

We have our own agent teams. Mostly we rely on our engineers, not consultants at other companies. We're able to handle everything rather well in-house.

The pricing is quite high and we don't appreciate the solution raising prices so much.

I'm following up with the licensing, however, I don't have the exact figures right now. I mostly advise some companies about that, and usually do not go into detail. What I'm interested in, for example, is when you implement some solution in some company what are the costs for that company in the near future, for example, in one or two years. This is what we are thinking about.

It's not easy to implement some solutions in some small companies if at the beginning they need to pay some licensing costs upfront. For example, for Mongo DB. It would be easier if the small companies could operate without licensing for some period of time and then only after they grow to a certain size or need they would have to pay some for that usage.

What other advice do I have?

While I may advise clients on MongoDB, I don't have a direct business relationship with the company.

We always use the latest version that is available.

As we implement the solution for clients, we deal with different deployment models. Typically, for banks, for example, the on-premises deployment is used. However, we've looked into the cloud as well and some clients may consider that deployment instead.

A company considering the solution needs to first think about the project and the infrastructure that they need to implement. Every solution is different. I cannot say that I feel some particular way about MongoDB. It always depends on the organizational need.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher if it offered more upfront support and a lighter solution for smaller organizations. It would be great if they could build an open-source version, for example.

Saeed Abedi
Senior Information Technology Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up and helpful for storing unstructured data, but the performance could be improved

• "The most valuable feature is that you can store unstructured data, which is helpful when you don't know what the best structure should be and you cannot use a relational database because of that."
  • "The performance can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use MongoDB in different products. The first is a Business Process Management System (BPMS) that we have developed for ourselves. MongoDB stores all of the data for business flow management.

The second product is in the capital market. We have implemented it to use all of the stock-related data.

We have also developed an online shipping product, using MongoDB for storing product features.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can store unstructured data, which is helpful when you don't know what the best structure should be and you cannot use a relational database because of that. For example, in our online shopping product, different products have different features and there is no structure for all of the data.

The usability is good.

Compared to a relational database, the performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The performance can be improved. While it is good compared to relational-type databases, it could still be improved.

Stability-wise, there is some room for improvement.

I have been working with MongoDB for between four and five years.

If you take care of the application and check everything then it will be stable. However, if you do not maintain it properly and do not have support then stability will be a problem.

We have not tried to scale our implementation of MongoDB.

We do not have direct support for this product. Instead, we have used the community-based resources that are available on the internet. For example, we have searched for questions and taken advice from the community in order to resolve our problems.

We may have used InfluxDB for some reason but I don't recall any of the details.

The initial setup is simple and not a problem to complete. I don't recall the exact length of time that it took to deploy, but I think that it was completed within one or two days.

We deployed MongoDB ourselves.

We have two administrators who maintain and work with it on a daily basis.

We use the open-source version, which is available to use free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering MongoDB is that when we want to have flexibility in storing our data, I recommend using it. We can store anything, in any format, in any size, and accessing the data is the same speed. In the case where you have structured data or it is in a unique format, this is not the product that you use.

In summary, this is a good product and it has been very useful for our purpose.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

SS
Data Engineer | Full Stack Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable solution with schemaless architecture and sharding feature

• "I like the schemaless architecture that it follows. I also like the sharding that it provides."
  • "Its security features can be better. Sometimes, my higher authority says that we are not going to use MongoDB because it doesn't provide that much security for the RDBMS or relational data that we use for transactions. Instead of MongoDB, we will use Oracle Database because for a transactional service, you have to rely on RDBMS ACID properties. I would love to work on MongoDB by using my mobile phone. When I am working remotely or traveling and have some instances deployed on my server, I should be able to check through my mobile whether all the data is being pulled. GitHub has a similar feature, where it lets you read from the laptop, and you can also pull and push with your mobile phone. I would request MongoDB to provide such a feature. Basically, I want a mobile version for both iOS and Android versions."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a data warehouse, and we also use it for software development when we are not sure how much and what kind of data we would get from the customers. For a short span of time, we also use it for the data lake to dump the data of a temporary instance so that the developers on the next node can leverage this data.

What is most valuable?

I like the schemaless architecture that it follows. I also like the sharding that it provides.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

Currently, we have about 1,000 to 5,000 employees all over India. Most of us are using MongoDB for internal projects.

When I was getting trained in the data engineering field, there was a saying that if we run after the technical support, we won't be able to see a bug in our own code. Since then, our superiors or colleagues don't suggest going for technical support. If anything goes wrong, we just troubleshoot it on our own, and we have done that successfully.

What other advice do I have?

When we provide solutions for a customer, we look at the domain in which we are working, and accordingly, we recommend or select a database. It is up to the customers which database they want to use and how they are going to use it and leverage the subscription of that database. Do they want Oracle, MySQL, or SQL Server? Based on their preferences, we select the database.

For people or businesses that are currently trying to put their feet in the industry, it is a good thing to start their career with MongoDB. Sometimes, you don't have the knowledge of SQL and how to put a query to get a result. In MongoDB, there are certain things that make it different from other solutions. It is schemaless, and you don't have to have the knowledge of schemas. It is a good way to go ahead.

I would rate MongoDB a nine out of ten.

KS
Digital General Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good interface and integration with other tools but they should modernize the storage options

• "I find the integration with other tools very easy."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for schema lists. It's easy to populate the data and to get information for summaries and things like that. The second use case is that there is a mainframe and the upgrades on the mainframe can use your CPU time. As the customer is working on the mixed product, it becomes very costly. Using MongoDB internally allows us to divide as much as we can with it. And there is a service provision that I think is much cheaper than continuing the maintenance of the machine.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable, is that it is easy to use. Even a non-technical person will be able to understand it. I also find the integration with other tools very easy.

What needs improvement?

The price can always be better. I mean, we are a big corporation so it is quite expensive for us. So perhaps they can improve on the price.

I have been using MongoDB for two years now.

MongoDB is very stable.

The solution can be scaled without any issues.

I have not yet contacted the technical support team of MongoDB, but I have great interactions with the MongoDB side. We have our own technical team in our company that takes care of our issues.

We have used Snowflake before and I can tell you what the difference is between MongoDB and Snowflake. Snowflake is a totally different type of database. It is basically shot across small units and its solutions are only for the cloud. Your access can be private and it can be fast on the queries. Whereas with MongoDB, it takes much longer than with Snowflake if you want to extract. Snowflake is much faster. It has good analytics capabilities, though.

The initial setup was easy and quite fast. The only problem is the provisioning environment within the cloud. Deploying the MongoDB program doesn't take very long. The whole process of deployment needs only one additional person to do its maintenance and to finalize the deployment faster.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate this solution a seven out of ten because I like the interface and the integration with other tools. In the next version, perhaps they can modernize the storage options. I think they have a very good reputation, from what I hear from our client comments. The program has speed and it has simplicity. If you want to extract the application, the terms of applicability it is good. And you can use the intelligence within the program.