MongoDB Overview

MongoDB is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top NoSQL Databases. It is most often compared to InfluxDB: MongoDB vs InfluxDB

What is MongoDB?
Open source database alternative to relational databases. It simplifies development and is extremely scalable.
MongoDB Buyer's Guide

Download the MongoDB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

MongoDB Customers
Facebook, MetLife, City of Chicago, Expedia, eBay, Google
MongoDB Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MongoDB pricing:
  • "We are using the Community Edition of MongoDB."
  • "We use the open-source version, which is available to use free of charge."
  • "It is rather expensive."

Sushil Dwivedi
Team Lead at RBS Securities
Good security, highly-available when installed in a cluster, and no schema is needed to store data

What is our primary use case?

I have done a variety of things with MongoDB that started with the adoption of this solution at one company. I was involved in setting up the cluster and then the monitoring, alerting, and backup process. Once all of the set up was complete, I was involved in writing some of the components that were responsible for fetching data from MongoDB. We are now responsible for running the platform, so whoever wants to run MongoDB comes to us and we explain how we can deploy the cluster for their applications. At this point, we build a cluster in the servers under a UNIX account. The number of nodes in… more »

• "We can define security rules at the database level or the cluster level to grant or deny access to particular users."
  • "Data encryption is possible using third-party tools but they should have their own encryption capability built-in to this solution."

What other advice do I have?

MongoDB is a solution that I can recommend because we have realized good benefits from it. We are in the process of setting up the ODS project, which should help the organization from a cost perspective. Then we will be moving the mainframe data to ODS, and we can use the MongoDB API to fetch data from there and provide real-time solutions to the customer. At this time, I cannot judge the benefit of MongoDB in isolation, but as time goes on, perhaps by the end of the year, I will have a better idea. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Pranesh Vittal
Associate Director - Database & DevOps at Medlife
A flexible solution that is cost-effective and developer-friendly

What is our primary use case?

When the company started, MongoDB was our primary database. It offers great flexibility where developers can define any key and assign a value to it. This means that there is very little that one has to plan in terms of designing the schema upfront, so developers enjoy a lot of flexibility. Now that we have more use cases for which NoSQL is not suitable, we are trying to move those workloads out of MongoDB.

• "MongoDB is extremely developer-friendly because when you are starting, there is very little time needed upfront in terms of planning."
  • "MongoDB should not be used for reporting, analytics, or number-crunching tasks."

What other advice do I have?

The features that I have looked for are in this solution and we are using an older version. The current cloud-offering, MongoDB Atlas, has even more features. It would be a natural fit for us, but it will not be easy to move because we have a lot of dependencies. We have to update drivers, isolate collections, and take care of other issues before we can switch. My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution, or any other database, is to take care to plan your indexes because it is extremely important. Spending some time designing the document structure in the initial phase will…
Learn what your peers think about MongoDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.
LourensWalters
Senior Program Manager and Data Scientist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Allows a lot more scalability and is completely open-source

What is our primary use case?

We used MongoDB to implement a healthcare application into the Amazon Cloud. We deployed that architecture within the South African public health care sector.

What other advice do I have?

MongoDB Atlas was the deployment mechanism we went with and that was hugely helpful for us. MongoDB Atlas is part of the MongoDB suite, I think. It's just a deployment of the Mongo. We also deployed it on Amazon using DocumentDB, but we found that MongoDB Atlas worked better in the end.
Deepak Kumar  T R
Managing Director at SimSol Technologies And Services Pvt Ltd
Quite scalable, easy to deploy, and affordable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a database. It's basically used as a storage engine.

• "The solution's most important aspect is its seamless database."
  • "The on-premises version of the solution is still pretty expensive, especially compared to the cloud version."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer of MongoDB. We don't embed it in our application, however, we recommend it to our clients who use our product. We're mostly on the cloud deployment version of the solution However, we do have a banking client who requires an on-premises solution. We work with both and have experience with both. This solution is perfectly suited for companies of all sizes, from small to large. Small companies can definitely use the community version, however, this product offers an enterprise-level license for much larger organizations as well. I'd advise new users to be flexible and be able…
JG
Senior Associate at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Good for transformation and data storage but quite expensive for smaller organizations

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for long-term storage. We use it to store all our data. We also use it to support microservices that already have calculated data. We don't use it for any other purpose.

• "The initial setup isn't really that complex."
  • "MongoDB should better support small and medium companies. There are a lot of clients out there that are interested, however, they need something lighter and less complex and something not so expensive upfront."

What other advice do I have?

While I may advise clients on MongoDB, I don't have a direct business relationship with the company. We always use the latest version that is available. As we implement the solution for clients, we deal with different deployment models. Typically, for banks, for example, the on-premises deployment is used. However, we've looked into the cloud as well and some clients may consider that deployment instead. A company considering the solution needs to first think about the project and the infrastructure that they need to implement. Every solution is different. I cannot say that I feel some…
Saeed Abedi
Senior Information Technology Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up and helpful for storing unstructured data, but the performance could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use MongoDB in different products. The first is a Business Process Management System (BPMS) that we have developed for ourselves. MongoDB stores all of the data for business flow management. The second product is in the capital market. We have implemented it to use all of the stock-related data. We have also developed an online shipping product, using MongoDB for storing product features.

• "The most valuable feature is that you can store unstructured data, which is helpful when you don't know what the best structure should be and you cannot use a relational database because of that."
  • "The performance can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering MongoDB is that when we want to have flexibility in storing our data, I recommend using it. We can store anything, in any format, in any size, and accessing the data is the same speed. In the case where you have structured data or it is in a unique format, this is not the product that you use. In summary, this is a good product and it has been very useful for our purpose. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
SS
Data Engineer | Full Stack Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable solution with schemaless architecture and sharding feature

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a data warehouse, and we also use it for software development when we are not sure how much and what kind of data we would get from the customers. For a short span of time, we also use it for the data lake to dump the data of a temporary instance so that the developers on the next node can leverage this data.

• "I like the schemaless architecture that it follows. I also like the sharding that it provides."
  • "Its security features can be better. Sometimes, my higher authority says that we are not going to use MongoDB because it doesn't provide that much security for the RDBMS or relational data that we use for transactions. Instead of MongoDB, we will use Oracle Database because for a transactional service, you have to rely on RDBMS ACID properties. I would love to work on MongoDB by using my mobile phone. When I am working remotely or traveling and have some instances deployed on my server, I should be able to check through my mobile whether all the data is being pulled. GitHub has a similar feature, where it lets you read from the laptop, and you can also pull and push with your mobile phone. I would request MongoDB to provide such a feature. Basically, I want a mobile version for both iOS and Android versions."

What other advice do I have?

When we provide solutions for a customer, we look at the domain in which we are working, and accordingly, we recommend or select a database. It is up to the customers which database they want to use and how they are going to use it and leverage the subscription of that database. Do they want Oracle, MySQL, or SQL Server? Based on their preferences, we select the database. For people or businesses that are currently trying to put their feet in the industry, it is a good thing to start their career with MongoDB. Sometimes, you don't have the knowledge of SQL and how to put a query to get a…
KS
Digital General Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good interface and integration with other tools but they should modernize the storage options

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for schema lists. It's easy to populate the data and to get information for summaries and things like that. The second use case is that there is a mainframe and the upgrades on the mainframe can use your CPU time. As the customer is working on the mixed product, it becomes very costly. Using MongoDB internally allows us to divide as much as we can with it. And there is a service provision that I think is much cheaper than continuing the maintenance of the machine.

• "I find the integration with other tools very easy."

What other advice do I have?

I will rate this solution a seven out of ten because I like the interface and the integration with other tools. In the next version, perhaps they can modernize the storage options. I think they have a very good reputation, from what I hear from our client comments. The program has speed and it has simplicity. If you want to extract the application, the terms of applicability it is good. And you can use the intelligence within the program.
    See 18 more MongoDB Reviews
    Product Categories
    NoSQL Databases
    Download our free MongoDB Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.