SK
IT Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Ethernet switches that are highly user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VLAN tagging and VLAN port enabling.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. It should be affordable for any organization.

I have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for more than eight years.

I have never faced any issues with stability.

The initial setup isn't straightforward. It depends on how knowledgeable you are. But Cisco will support us whenever we buy products. There's product documentation that needs to be followed. It took hardly 15 minutes to set up and deploy. However, the time can be extended if you want to configure different…

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VLAN tagging and VLAN port enabling.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. It should be affordable for any organization.

I have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for more than eight years.

I have never faced any issues with stability.

However, the time can be extended if you want to configure different things. If you want to add VLANs, then it will take time. We have to decide on what we have to do before doing it. Based on that, the timeline will really differ. We have a tiny team at my organization, just two others working with me.

I've always reached out to my consultant to support me whenever we buy a new switch. If they share some knowledge documents, I can look into that, and I can do it myself.

Cisco is an industry leader, but the price is very high.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to potential users, but it depends on their requirements.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Ethernet Switches an eight.

Varun Malhotra
Chairman Infrastructure & Application Development Services at atnis
Reseller
Good material available on their website enables an easy setup

What needs improvement?

Cisco is now competing with companies that are putting out cheaper switches so the price could be something that could be improved upon. However, if you want the best in the industry then you need to pay for it. Cisco could also open the API up to work closely with other systems.

We have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for eighteen years. We only deal with Cisco switches.

What needs improvement?

It is much easier and faster to get to the Cisco support, which is good. Secondly, Cisco is the world leader in these systems. The expertise they have is very good compared to others. We can trust Cisco from a technical perspective. For example, if you are buying a car you would not buy from a company that will not give you support. Also, you wouldn't buy a car from a company that is not proven in the industry. These are two things that should be taken into consideration while you are looking at any product. Then you should get into technical features.

Cisco has very good material available on their website to read and to do yourself. This makes the initial setup of these switches very easy.

We handle all of the setup ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend Cisco Ethernet Switches if you have the budget for it. I would rate Cisco switches at a ten on a scale of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Igor Pigariev
Cyber Security Consultant at Ukroboronprom
Easy to use with perfect technical support

• "The features that I have found most valuable are that it is easy to use and it has good technical support."
  • "It would be good for Cisco to provide certification to our engineers for our IT infrastructure. Basically to train and certify our engineers."

What is our primary use case?

We built all our ground network on Cisco Switches.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are that it is easy to use and it has good technical support.

We cooperate with local Cisco teams here in the Ukraine. They help us to develop our system and support it.

What needs improvement?

It would be good for Cisco to provide certification to our engineers for our IT infrastructure. Basically to train and certify our engineers.

In the next release I would like to see more training and documentations for our engineers.

We have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for about five years.

Cisco Switches is a stable product.

Cisco Switches are scalable.

We have 300 users using it and 5 guys from the IT department that support our network.

They are basically all engineers and some programmers.

Cisco's technical support is perfect. There is no need to improve anything there.

If we have problems with the setup, we ask the local Cisco team and they help us. We have good cooperation with the local team.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Switches are very good. They are interoperable with Microsoft solutions, by the way.

On a scale from one to 10, I would rate Cisco Switches about a nine.

I would surely recommend Cisco Switches for other users who want to start using it.

AR
VP of IT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalable and stable with a variety of models to choose from

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for LAN routing in both manufacturing industries and IT sectors. We use a variety of different models of the solution. We have used the 4000, 9000, 9200, and 9400 Series switches. Currently, we are deploying the 9000 Series to customers at data centers and when it comes to core switches at data centers we are using the 9400 model.

What needs improvement?

There are some GUI configuration improvements that they can implement in the future for the product models.

I have been using the solution for over forteen years.

We have found the solution to be stable.

The solution is…

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for over forteen years.

We have found the solution to be stable.

The solution is scalable. We have deployed more than 1000 switches to customers.

We provide support for the client.

We do the deployment of the solution using a team of approximately five people. The time it takes to do the deployment all depends on the client's requirements. The range of time it can take varies depending on the design and architecture involved.

There are different licensing based on the model of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We only deal with Cisco products, they are very good.

I rate Cisco Ethernet Switches a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
MD
Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very scalable and easy to deploy, but has bugs that caused the switch to reboot

• "It is very scalable."
  • "If we can have fewer bugs on our switches, that would be great. We had bugs that caused the switch to reboot. There is probably a problem with the software."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for user connectivity. We are using its latest version.

It is deployed on a public cloud and on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It is very scalable.

What needs improvement?

If we can have fewer bugs on our switches, that would be great. We had bugs that caused the switch to reboot. There is probably a problem with the software.

Their technical support can be improved in terms of response time and overall efficiency.

I have been using this solution for about 20 years.

It is very scalable. We have about 8,000 users.

We use their technical support a lot. They are okay. There is definitely room for improvement in terms of response time and overall efficiency.

We didn't use any other solution.

For our setup here, it was pretty straightforward.

I pay a fixed price on it. I'm not the person on the pursing, so I don't really compare.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to shop around and maybe compare it with some of the other vendors such as Juniper or Arista.

I would rate Cisco Ethernet Switches a seven out of 10.

PB
Data Center Admin at Sysnet Global Technologies
Stable, they have good replacement service, and the technical support is helpful

• "The procedures and handling of these switches are easy."
  • "The initial setup can be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use these switches as part of our data center infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

These switches are stable and they have a good replacement service.

The support is good.

The procedures and handling of these switches are easy. Anything that you need to know is available in a Google search, or from the technical support.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup can be simplified.

We have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for approximately 10 years.

Stability is one of the key features of this product.

We are using the Cisco 4503-E and these switches are very scalable. There are some models that have plenty of ports.

Users do not connect directly to this switch. Rather, only servers are connected and we have perhaps 20 of them.

We also have experience with HPE switches. The HPE switches are okay, but Cisco is the best when it comes to things like the CLI. I prefer them.

Juniper is also a good company and they have good switches.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Switches are the best and I recommend them.

GC
Science Technician at a government with 201-500 employees
Secure, high performance, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a networking switch.

What is most valuable?

The solution's valuable features are the speed of network transfer, it can transfer four to six gigabits per second. Additionally, we found it to be secure.

I have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for approximately eight years.

I find the solution to be stable.

The scalability of the solution is good.  I am the only one in my organization using the solution.

I have little experience with the solutions technical support and I am satisfied with it.

How was the

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a networking switch.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for approximately eight years.

I find the solution to be stable.

The scalability of the solution is good.

I am the only one in my organization using the solution.

The installation is difficult and requires further training documentations. I can configure it alone with some supervision.

For the deployment of the solution, we were aided by consultants, and no other technical team is needed for the maintenance.

The solution does not require a license. However, it is expensive and the price could improve.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the solution to others.

I rate Cisco Ethernet Switches a ten out of ten.

LW
Senior Director of IT and Data Analytics at a performing arts with 201-500 employees
Scalable, good POE functionality, and responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as switches for our organization's network.

What is most valuable?

One main feature of this solution is the POE switches.

What needs improvement?

The interface and dashboard could look better.

I have been using the solution for approximately two years.

I have been using a lot of hardware that is probably close to 10 years old. We did have an issue once with one of our switches that would just auto-reset and wipe out and randomly restart. I do not know the full details, but we ended up just replacing it. In the future, there should be readily available instructional videos.

What do I think about the scalability of the

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as switches for our organization's network.

What is most valuable?

One main feature of this solution is the POE switches.

What needs improvement?

The interface and dashboard could look better.

I have been using the solution for approximately two years.

In the future, there should be readily available instructional videos.

The scalability is pretty good, all you need to do is add more racks. We have approximately 70 people that rely on this solution from my organization.

We paid for the technical support and they were good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I have been evaluating Fortinet solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco Ethernet Switches an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Cisco Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.