SZ
Team Lead Network Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Secure and flexible with no latency issues, and it is easy to set up

• "I haven't found any issues related to latency or any other issue."
  • "Cisco Umbrella should introduce an on-premises device."

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers for all Cisco products.

We have contracted a couple of schools for a proof of concept for the customers who purchase Cisco Umbrella. We have also deployed it to virtual machines in the customer's environment.

We have also deployed Active Directory connectors, and we have directed the customer's traffic towards Cisco Umbrella and their DNS Service.

We have also monitored and provided a course for the customers.

This product can be used for DNS security. DNS security basically provides protection because Cisco thinks that 90% of the attacks come from DNS. So, they warn us that if customers protect the DNS, then they are 90% secure.

Instead of resolving their domains through normal global DNS servers, this solution provides security.

Cisco Umbrella grades all of the domains that are present in its own grading and specifies which are malicious, which are whitelisted, which are not safe, which domains have recently been, and which show some spike in the graph that sometimes they come up and suddenly they go offline.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Umbrella is very flexible, and it does not show any kind of delay that someone is responding to their DNS server, outside of their network and outside of their environment.

I haven't found any issues related to latency or any other issue.

They have Umbrella Investigate, which uses machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms to find malicious attacks in the domains.

What needs improvement?

There should be some sort of appliance for those customers who do not trust the cloud. Cisco Umbrella should introduce an on-premises device.

Customers should have the ability to manage on-premises.

While support is provided, the response time could be faster.

I have been acquainted with Cisco Umbrella for two years.

We are providing the latest version.

Cisco Umbrella is scalable. We provide services to customers. We have some customers who have been using this solution for one and a half years.

I have contacted technical support. My experience is that it is a bit slow. The response is a bit slow, but they provide support.

People have many queries online. In terms of the support, they may be a bit delayed but ultimately the problem will be resolved.

Before Cisco Umbrella, there wasn't any security product.

There is a product called Infoblox, but I haven't used it.

The installation is pretty straightforward and it only took 10 minutes to deploy.

We require only one person for the deployment and the maintenance of this solution, who understands it technically.

We are system integrators and we do the implementation ourselves for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

We will continue to sell this product.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Cisco Umbrella a nine out of ten.

Ravi_Verma
Senior Network Engineer at Saffron networks pvt ltd
Complete solution in a single licensing

• "There is much differentiation within the licensing so if anyone wants DNS security from the DNS security log, we are there already, and if anyone wants to go to a secure internet gateway, that is also available. We can get the integrated cloud DLP license keys. That is a good benefit with Cisco Umbrella. You can get a complete solution in a single licensing."
  • "It should have more integrations with multiple end user OEMs."

What is most valuable?

The first thing that I found most valuable is that there is much differentiation within the licensing so if anyone wants DNS security from the DNS security log, we are there already, and if anyone wants to go to a secure internet gateway, that is also available. We can get the integrated cloud DLP license keys. That is a good benefit with Cisco Umbrella. You can get a complete solution in a single licensing.

Additionally, the cloud firewall is available to integrate if you want. Also, you can create side to side within everything in the cloud.

Right now there are modules just like cloud DLP that are implemented very well. You can just log onto the site, upload and download with the multiple options that are available. That is a good option with Umbrella. Also, you can integrate it with a Cisco Meraki switch as a firewall. That is also a good benefit with Cisco Umbrella.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, it should have more integrations with multiple end user OEMs.

Also, the Linux agent is a big challenge because multiple companies are going with Linux. There is no Linux right now for people working from home and they are looking for security which is not available via Linux. That needs to improve.

I have been using Cisco Umbrella for the last two years.

In terms of the stability, if you're talking about DNS Security, it is very stable. They recently launched Cloud DLP,  so I can't comment on that. We are now working with it, but I do not have too much experience. DNS security is a stable product. There is no issue with that.

Cisco Umbrella is a scalable product. That means, when you have 4,000 users you can take the license for 4,000 users. If they just have 1,500 or 2,000, you can go for that license. Also, on the lower level, if you want 10 licenses, that is also available. That's scalability.

Cisco's technical support is always number one compared to other OEMs.

Deployment and implementation are straightforward for anyone going for the basic certificate for networking, meaning CCNS or CCNP security. The implementation resources are readily available for it. We don't think Cisco has a difficult deployment. Umbrella is very easy. Everything is straightforward. There is no need to Google much for every feature because there is a tab where you can go and configure them. One thing I would like to improve in Umbrella is to have a Linux client available.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to then, I would rate Cisco Umbrella just an eight.

I would recommend it. If you have a Cisco environment, then I must recommend Cisco Umbrella if you have a Cisco Meraki or a Cisco Router solution. There is the option available to integrate and use the firewall, as well. You can deploy policies from the cloud.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Umbrella. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SUDIPTABISWAS
Senior Manager - Information Technology at Emami Ltd
Easy to set up and use, but deep packet inspection is needed and they should have a data center based in India

• "The most valuable feature for us is the DNS-based protection."
  • "This solution does not give us full, 360-degree protection."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Umbrella to provide protection for our end-users. It prevents unauthorized access to their systems, as well as halts access to compromised sites, such as a ransomware site. Essentially, all of the malicious activity is prevented.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the DNS-based protection. It is the only type that is available in India.

The interface is very easy to handle. Even a person with limited knowledge can quickly learn to work with it.

What needs improvement?

Deep packet inspection features should be implemented. This solution does not give us full, 360-degree protection.

They should have a local data center available in India.

I have been working with Cisco Umbrella for four months.

I haven't experienced any instability.

This is a highly scalable product.

I have been in contact with the Cisco technical support, once or twice. They were not big issues, however. Overall, I am satisfied with the support.

Prior to Cisco Umbrella, we were using on-premises solutions. The capability is good except that a cloud-based solution can be more easily provided to all of our end-users.

The initial setup is straightforward and there is no complexity to it. This is a cloud-based system, so just install it, mount it, and the policies get applied. The installation requires that you log into the portal using your ID, and then it just starts working.

Zscaler has a local data center available, which is something that Cisco can't offer us at this time.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, although it does not have the features that I was looking for. At this time, it does not have the capabilities that are relevant to the Indian market. As such, we are thinking about uninstalling it and switching products.

The suitability of this solution depends on the industry and requirements. It is important to remember that if you start with a product or approach, you may end up switching to something different. That said, if you want to begin with Cisco Umbrella to deal with malware then you can always change later if it doesn't perfectly fit your environment. This is what we are doing.

If I were rating this product on a single capability then it would do very well. However, rating it on multiple capabilities, then there is definitely room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

BA
CTO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Cloud-delivered security combined with endpoint versatility

• "Cisco Umbrella is absolutely stable."
  • "Looking at the full umbrella suite in the light of SASE, Secure Access Service Edge, they are clearly lacking in the inline CASB."

What is most valuable?

DNS security used to be the main value for us. Looking forward, SASE-style use cases (the ability to connect to any endpoint, be it a corporate-managed device, or a privately managed device, to any SaaS service) seems to be the most important feature for the future, on top of DNS security.

What needs improvement?

Looking at the full umbrella suite in the light of SASE, Secure Access Service Edge, they are clearly lacking in the inline CASB. Any line cloud access security broker has an API-based cloud access security broker, which is called CloudLock, but they're lacking the inline components, which are able to intercept traffic.

An on-premise DLP solution or integration with an on-premise DLP solution would be a nice addition. Also, more broad operating system support for endpoints would be an advantage.

I have been using Cisco Umbrella for the last three years.

Cisco Umbrella is absolutely stable. They put a lot of weight on the availability and reliability of the global footprint. So yes, they kind of set the standards for availability.

Cisco Umbrella Is very easy to scale.

I haven't been involved in providing support for it; however, I am not aware of any significant issues.

The initial setup was quite straightforward.

Deployment depends on the number of features and the degree of integration you're looking for. Deployment can take anywhere from 30 seconds, simply to redirect your recursive DNS service, up to several days for a full-blown enterprise setup. So it depends on the use case.

The pricing varies. If you're just after DNS security, it's rather expensive. If you are, however, after replacing parts of your enterprise security infrastructure (by moving from a legacy on-premise, security-based approach, to a more cloud-based approach), then you can replace a whole bunch of classic security devices and solutions. In short, you can basically consolidate your security functions. I think it's worth the money.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Cisco Umbrella. Proof of concept is always the second step. The first step is coming up with your use cases. If Umbrella is the answer, what's the question? You should roadmap your immediate and long-term goals in terms of IT security, or information security. You should take into account your operational fitness for tackling the cloud as well, then pick the right features to suit your needs. This is all basically applicable to similar solutions. If you run into this with no plan, you're just shifting your existing problems.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Umbrella a rating of eight.

Victor Mejia
SOC & SECURITY SERVICES DIRECTOR at BESTEL
Reseller
Great security with an easy implementation and good stability

• "The implementation is pretty easy."
  • "The pricing is a bit high. Being outside of the USA, we have issues with the exchange rate."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used for remote workers, for people that are outside the enterprise premises, in order to have security while they work on the road.

How has it helped my organization?

With many of our customer's end-users on the road, it was easy for their machines to get infected or to lose information. After we installed this product, these issues were drastically reduced and the number of infections dropped month over month.

What is most valuable?

It provides security for the remote workers and it helps to improve enterprise security in a very easy way.

We mainly enjoy web software protection capabilities. It prevents the end-users from getting into bad sites or sites that potentially could have malware or could be phishing. It helps end-users avoid the wrong sites.

The solution works very smoothly.

The user interface is good.

The implementation is pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of a place where there is a gap in features. It seems to cover everything.

The solution could use more intelligence.

They likely could combine some of the AMP features that they already have in other AEM's for anti-malware purposes.

I've been using the solution for two years at this point.

The stability of the solution is excellent. It's very reliable.

Cisco technical support is one of the best on the market. We're quite satisfied with their level of support.

That said, as the solution is pretty easy to use and very stable, we haven't really used too much technical support.

The setup is not too complex. It's pretty straightforward. They make configuration and onboarding relatively easy.

Deployment only takes a matter of days. You simply deploy the agent to the active directory, to all the installations and you're done.

I sell it as a managed service provider. Therefore, the solution is installed for our clients. They don't have to worry about that aspect.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know exactly which version of the solution we are using, however, we do use the most advanced license that's available currently.

As a managed service provider, we deal with organizations of all sizes, from small companies to large enterprises.

Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It works well, has an easy installation, and offers good protection.

Victor Mejia
SOC & SECURITY SERVICES DIRECTOR at BESTEL
Reseller
Easy user interface, offers good protection against malicious websites, and good support

• "The most valuable feature is the website protection capabilities because it prevents end-users from entering bad sites that potentially have malware or could be used for phishing."
  • "In the future, they should combine some of the Cisco AMP features that they already have, for anti-malware purposes."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller and Cisco Umbrella is one of the products that we sell to our customers. We offer it as a managed service provider. This product provides security for remote workers and it helps to improve enterprise security in a very easy way.

It is mainly used for remote workers and for people that live outside the enterprise premises. It gives them security while they are on the road.

How has it helped my organization?

Because our clients' end-users are mainly on the road, it is very easy for them to get infected and lose information. After we installed the Cisco Umbrella solution, importantly, they have reduced the number of infected cases per month.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the website protection capabilities because it prevents end-users from entering bad sites that potentially have malware or could be used for phishing. Ultimately, it helps users avoid the wrong sites.

It is very easy to integrate.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more intelligence built into Umbrella.

We have been working with Cisco Umbrella for more than two years.

This is a very stable product and helps to improve the security posture of the enterprise.

We have clients that range in size from small to large-sized organizations.

Cisco's support is very good and, in fact, one of the best.

Because the product is very easy to use and very stable, we have not had to rely on support from the documentation or the community.

The initial setup is quite straightforward and easy, and the deployment can be completed in a matter of days. You deploy the agent to Active Directory, for all of the installations, and you're done.

We deploy this solution for our clients because we sell it as a managed service.

Outside of the United States, we have issues with the exchange rate that increases the cost.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product works smoothly and perfectly.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

HS
Cyber Security Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
A very good solution, but needs a real-time malware classification engine and control over file execution

• "Overall, it is a very good solution. It is a simple solution and very easy to set up."
  • "It should have a real-time malware classification engine. It should check the malware on the website. It would be good if it had a real-time malware check for the websites because currently, it just compares the DNS queries of the blacklist. It should also have malware control over file execution and the types of files that the users are allowed to download."

What is our primary use case?

We have been working with the administration of the product as well as looking at various features of the product, such as locking of the URL. We have also been checking certain intelligence to see how it helps in maintaining security posture for the organization. In addition, we have also been looking at command and control, communication with other IPs, and early blocking of the DNS requests.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it is a very good solution. It is a simple solution and very easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

It should have a real-time malware classification engine. It should check the malware on the website. It would be good if it had a real-time malware check for the websites because currently, it just compares the DNS queries of the blacklist.

It should also have malware control over file execution and the types of files that the users are allowed to download.

I have been working with this solution for over one and a half years.

Technical support is very good for the existing features, but they must incorporate more features in their solution, such as file execution blocking and real-time malware check.

The initial setup was very simple because it was just the installation of agents on the system, and it can communicate with the cloud easily. It didn't give me any problem.

The price should be slightly lower than the current price because if you look at the whole solution, it is simply a threat intelligence solution to block blacklisted things. The price should be lower looking at the features provided by the solution. The price isn't too high either, but it could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to have a simpler solution that can easily prevent malicious threats, you can go for it. If you want to have a more general solution, for example, with control over file execution or real-time malware engine, you can go for a web security gateway. If you want to have a number of things integrated within a single solution, such as DLP, you should go for Forcepoint Security Gateway. Cisco Umbrella doesn't provide such a feature.

I would rate Cisco Umbrella a seven out of ten.

AR
Global Security at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Weekly reporting, investigation, and the application management are equally great

• "The weekly reportings are great. The investigation is super and the application management is equally great."
  • "The reporting could be improved by way of the information that's displayed. For example, when you pull a report, it shows an internal employee going to many websites, but you can spin that right down by saying a lot of it is being cached."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for protecting and defending against cyber-based threats. So anything on the internet emanating through DNS-type attacks and then also content filtering. It ensures that our employees are only going to know safe categories.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved by way of the information that's displayed. For example, when you pull a report, it shows an internal employee going to many websites, but you can spin that right down by saying a lot of it is being cached. So for example, if you go to www.msn.com, that would then not only pull the MSN domain down, but it would also bring back all the ads and the adverts. It looks like you've been to 30, 40 websites when in actual fact you've only been to one. They should narrow it down.

We have had Cisco Umbrella at my company for three years but I have been using it for six months.

The stability is great.

We've got full coverage, but from an admin perspective, there are four users who use it on a daily basis.

We've contacted their support once or twice and thy were great.

It is 1,000 on a yearly basis. Everything is included in the standard license, there are no additional fees.

What other advice do I have?

It does not require maintenance. It is very light in that way.

Architecturally, for the deployment, you should consider if you want it on roaming clients or if you want it central. If people are connecting back through a VPN, it's then probably on every single client. Looking at how we're all working now with COVID, having a roaming client deployment gives you that added layer of protection because you're not dependent on the users connecting back to corporate VPN. They're always protected. Think about your deployment.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Download our free Cisco Umbrella Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.