Haitham Elwany
IT Infrastructure & Data Platform Sr. Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Lightweight with good performance, but deployment with clustering needs to be simplified

• "This is a lightweight product that is not demanding on the resources, which is what I think gives it the edge."
  • "The product is a little bit complex and it is difficult to find sufficient documentation."

What is our primary use case?

I am a senior manager of the infrastructure team and MySQL is one of the products that I work with. We use it in an e-commerce portal. The database is light and everything works smoothly.

What is most valuable?

The performance is great.

This is a lightweight product that is not demanding on the resources, which is what I think gives it the edge.

What needs improvement?

We faced some details in clustering, although this may have been because we did not have enough knowledge about MySQL clustering. In general, an easier implementation for clustering would be an improvement.

We have been using MySQL for approximately six months.

We have not had any problems with stability.

MySQL is easy to scale.

We have dealt with Oracle support regarding other products such as Oracle Database and Oracle WebLogic. I believe that it will be of the same standard, although I'm not sure.

I am not a technical person but my understanding is that they are competent.

My complaint about them is that when we have a problem, we have to explain the same thing many different times to different engineers. Every time we engage with a new engineer, we have to start all over again. This is a nightmare that we chased three months ago.

In addition to MySQL, we use Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server.

Oracle is an enterprise-level product but it is very straightforward to install and it has sufficient documentation and guides, which we did not easily find for MySQL.

Implementing clustering depends on a few different layers or different components. The clustering layer handles requests from the applications, and it is all a bit more complex than Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle.

The design, review, and deployment took approximately one week.

What other advice do I have?

At the moment, because of the issue that we are having with the clustering, I may not recommend MySQL. It would first need to have the clustering problem fixed and then have a sufficient deployment guide.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

ARJUNMarya
Enterprise Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I can meet the RPO in almost real-time

• "MySQL's clustering features are very strong, and you can automate scripting, so that helps. We wrote a Terraform script and ran it."
  • "Rather than going in-depth about the technical features, which a technical person can directly tell, I would say that MySQL should be able to adapt to the next framework. The 5G framework means an unstructured framework. So if MySQL becomes smoother and more adaptable, it'll be easier."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case for MySQL is for applications and seamless migration to the DR site. And the application in this case is an airport application.

How has it helped my organization?

I can meet the RPO in almost real-time. This changes the customer experience. That testing still needs to happen, but that is one of the advantages of MySQL. We have found MySQL to be a very sturdy and strong database. And I have run it in a solution where it's almost real-time, so it runs very efficiently.

What is most valuable?

MySQL's clustering features are very strong, and you can automate scripting, so that helps. We wrote a Terraform script and ran it.

What needs improvement?

Rather than going in-depth about the technical features, which a technical person can directly tell, I would say that MySQL should be able to adapt to the next framework. The 5G framework means an unstructured framework. So if MySQL becomes smoother and more adaptable, it'll be easier. In terms of new features, automation is always the biggest demand from our customers.

I've been doing pre-sales and working with MySQL since 2007.

I would say that MySQL is definitely stable, but its scalability has yet to be tested. I cannot say right now.

We follow an agile strategy, so deployment is done in parallel. In comparison to other databases, I have always found MySQL to be the most efficiently managed. Of course, I don't discount Postgres, but MySQL deployment always has gone smoothly. I've never had an issue during migration, even on the granular level. UID numbers, which we commonly face in Microsoft SQL, have never been a problem with MySQL.

We use the implementation partners for OEM.

We get the standard packages, but mostly MySQL is freeware. You pay for a license to get the upgrades. We pay for an enterprise license if that is required, but that's not in every case. It depends.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate MySQL nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about MySQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PJ
Deputy Director General at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is very easy to install and has all basic database features

• "It is very easy to install and has all basic database features."
  • "We require more ease of use, scalability, and high availability. These are some of the critical features that we use and look for in a product. It should be easier to manage clusters. Scalability is very important for us because our projects and concurrency requirements are quite big. We also require high availability of the server, application, and other things. It should also have more performance-based features or enhancements from the performance point of view. When we divide a database, it should be able to handle the queries very fast."

What is our primary use case?

I have been working for 25 to 30 years in this domain, and during this time, I have used various products such as MySQL, SQL Server, and PostgreSQL. Currently, in my product, I am using PostgreSQL, and in some projects, I am using MySQL. We are using the latest version of this solution.

We do projects for various government departments. We have used this solution for the transport department for vehicle registration, driving license, and all such things. We have also used it for port projects, depots, educational counseling projects, school databases, higher education, and health registry. As an organization, we have a lot of use cases of this solution.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to install and has all basic database features.

What needs improvement?

We require more ease of use, scalability, and high availability. These are some of the critical features that we use and look for in a product. It should be easier to manage clusters. Scalability is very important for us because our projects and concurrency requirements are quite big. We also require high availability of the server, application, and other things.

It should also have more performance-based features or enhancements from the performance point of view. When we divide a database, it should be able to handle the queries very fast.

Whenever required, we also take support, but our people are quite experienced. They are able to manage it most of the time.

Its installation is quite easy.

We have our own people who do the deployment. We have various teams for various projects, and the size of the deployment team depends on the project. We have people who basically look after the DB activities, installation, and consolidation.

There is a licensing cost because we are going for a proprietary product. There are some other versions for which there is no licensing cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution depending on the project. If a project requires the kind of features that are available in this solution, I would recommend this solution.

I would rate MySQL an eight out of ten.

AR
Information Technology Infrastructure Manager at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Feature-rich, cost-effective, and allows us to implement clustered solutions

• "MySQL gives us all of the critical features that we need in a database, but without the costs."
  • "I would like to have features that allow us to jump between the cloud and our on-premises system."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that we can implement clustered solutions.

What needs improvement?

I have been using MySQL for about 20 years.

MySQL is a very stable product.

I know that it is scalable, and in fact, that is why we chose it. We always have it in mind that in some number of years, you have to scale the solution to something different in terms of architecture.

As it is now, our databases are not big. They are critical, but not large in size. We are not dealing with Big Data.

We have never contacted Oracle for MySQL support.

The documentation that is available is enough for my needs.

This was the first database solution that we used. I have used other database products such as Oracle, for example. Oracle comes at a heavy cost.

This is an open-source product that can be used free of charge.

This is the product that was proposed to us and we implemented it.

What other advice do I have?

MySQL is a product that I can strongly recommend. However, it is important for you to have the in-house knowledge to support it. Some level of in-house expertise is necessary, otherwise, you will have to rely only on external opinions. In my opinion, that's not good. Sometimes they have good intentions but don't understand the reality.

I cannot give MySQL a perfect rating because we don't use all of the features. That said, I can tell you that I am totally satisfied with it. It's a very stable product and it's something that is not difficult to deal with.

Steve Jung
Director Of Sales Marketing at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Quick to deploy, stable, and scalable

• "The deployment process is pretty fast."
  • "When I run into issues, I really have to research how to fix them."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for mobile applications and IoT-based services. It's a good choice for development.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The scalability has been great.

The deployment process is pretty fast.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution had more references available in terms of helping me find answers to issues or problems. When I run into issues, I really have to research how to fix them.

The installation process could be better.

I would like the product to have even better stability and scalability.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's easy.

We have 500 users on the solution at this time. We are likely to increase usage in the future.

We don't really have access to technical support. Our engineers have to spend time looking for answers on Google.

Previously, we only used Oracle databases, which were expensive. We've moved away to other DBs and have begun to use MySQL.

The installation process didn't take very long. It took about three or four hours.

We have five people, who are engineers, that can handle setup and maintenance tasks.

I handled the implementation myself. I did not need the assistance of any integrators or consultants.

You do need a license in order to use MySQL.

What other advice do I have?

The solution can be deployed both on the cloud and on-premises.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

MW
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A lightweight database that's easy to maintain and develop

• "MySQL is a light database. It's not very complex. It's easy to develop, easy to maintain, and easy to back up and restore."
  • "We want to continue using MySQL but it merged with Oracle and the scalage changed."

What is our primary use case?

We use MySQL as a light database engine to provide database service to our web application.

Almost all of our software engineers use MySQL.

We want to continue using MySQL but it merged with Oracle and the scalage changed. After they merged, we tried MariaDB.

For two years, we tried MongoDB and prepared for application migration; all because the scalability changed when MySQL merged with Oracle.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy to use. It's stable and very quick. MySQL is a light database. It's not very complex. It's easy to develop, easy to maintain, and easy to back up and restore.

Our software team has been using MySQL for more than eight years.

It's hard to say if MySQL is scalable as we've never tried to scale it.

We have never had to contact support.

We installed MySQL Database on our server. It took roughly 12 to 13 minutes to install it.

Installation was done by our software team's engineers — seven to eight of them.

We've never bought a commercial license. We just use the open-source community edition.

We evaluated other databases and products, including EnterpriseDB and PostgreSQL. The latter was scalable, but it wasn't easy to use. MySQL is much easier to use and install. Before MySQL merged with Oracle, our software engineers were very satisfied.

What other advice do I have?

We recommend MySQL to our customers and other partners. The only problem relates to the business strategy from Oracle. For this reason, most MySQL users are considering migrating to MariaDB.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. We're very satisfied with MySQL. If we could scale-out further, I would give it a ten. We need a database cluster or a scalable database solution for our future applications.

DB
Founder at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
Easy to integrate and reasonably priced but the memory consumption needs to be improved

• "The connectivity with PHP is quite good."
  • "On the database side, it should be really lightweight, and the data structure should be like MongoDB."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the database.

What is most valuable?

The connectivity with PHP is quite good.

It is easy to integrate, and the fees are less than Oracle and other services.

What needs improvement?

MySQL is good but it should be able to handle the large transaction levels that Oracle can. It should be able to manage large amounts of data. We have experienced some issues when we are handling a large amount of data in MySQL.

The memory consumption it's using is very high at times, and the default parameter settings are not quite good automatically. We need to tweak the configuration as per the requirements. This is an area that can be improved by giving some guidelines and direction.

It should put less load on to the memory and it should be able to handle maximum data.

I have been working with MySQL for approximately five years.

The solution is stable but there is an issue with memory consumption at times.

I have not contacted technical support. I am using MySQL with Zabbix and when I have an issue, I contact Zabbix who resolves the issues on their end.

I am a developer and I handle the other side of things. I rely on the DB team to handle the maintenance and deployment. My knowledge is very basic.

It's cheaper than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

For one level of data, you can use MySQL. However, for large amounts of data, you will have to find other databases.

Overall, it's a good solution.

I would rate MySQL a six out of ten.

Ariful Mondal
Consulting Practice Partner - Data, Analytics & Artificial Intelligence at Wipro Ltd
ExpertModerator
Open-source, good documentation, and the multiplatform support includes Linux, Windows and Mac

• "It's a good tool, a good database platform."
  • "It could be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

I used MySQL for academic purposes. I use it for learning purposes.

You can start anything with MySQL.

You can build your own app, and store your data.

It's a free solution for development purposes.

What is most valuable?

It's a good tool, a good database platform. Everything you can do, you can do for free.

I like that it's open-source and that it's free.

What needs improvement?

Typically security will be on a security layer. I haven't really looked into the security of it, but it should be good.

It could be more secure.

I have been using MySQL for 16 or 17 years.

It's a stable solution.

We have trained hundreds of users.

I will continue to use this solution for learning purposes.

We have not contacted technical support.

You can download it and start using it.

It's very easy to install. It's a one-click Windows installation.

You can install and configure everything in a half-hour to one hour.

There is a lot of documentation available.

The maintenance can be done by anyone who has installed and used it.

I have never used the enterprise level of MySQL.

I use the open-source free community version.

I am sure that the Enterprise version of MySQL is cheaper than Microsoft SQL Server, or IBM and Oracle.

It's cheaper than other tools.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who wants to learn SQL, MySQL is free on Linux, Windows, or Mac Operating Systems.

MySQL can be deployed anywhere on the cloud or on a PC.

I would rate MySQL an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free MySQL Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.