PostgreSQL Overview

PostgreSQL is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Open Source Databases. It is most often compared to Firebird SQL: PostgreSQL vs Firebird SQL

What is PostgreSQL?

PostgreSQL is a powerful and fully-featured database management system with which business owners can create object relational tables. It is an open source project that can be acquired for free and heavily focuses on elements such as extensibility and strict standard compliance. PostgreSQL is a flexible server system that can manage large workloads that are being contributed and accessed from a wide range of locations such as in a network, as well as small-scale projects like a single machine or user.

Some technical details of interest about PostgreSQL include:

• Its MVCC (Multi-inversion concurrency control) allows fluid changes to be made to the system without cumbersome roadblocks, while maintaining the optimal level of ACID.
  • Replication, built-in binary replication is available from the 9.0 version and later.
  • It offers a wide range of indexing capabilities, including B-tree and hash indexes, as well as GIN and GiST (generalized inverted indexes and generalized search trees).
  • It uses procedural languages that make it easier for developers to expand the database.
PostgreSQL Buyer's Guide

Download the PostgreSQL Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

PostgreSQL Customers

Hundreds of companies have used PostgreSQL, including the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, Champion Products, the United Nations Industrial Development Organization, the U.S. Agency for Disease Control and Prevention, and IMDB.com.

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about PostgreSQL pricing:
  • "It is also open-source so it is free."
  • "PostgreSQL is open-source, so if capable admins are available then the setup cost can be $0."
  • "PostgreSQL is a free and open-source database."

Jason Tumusiime
Software Developer at a healthcare company with 1-10 employees
Can be clustered which allows for fault tolerance

What is our primary use case?

Currently, I'm doing a lot of source applications with Ruby on Rails, React, and mobile applications. PostgreSQL is my preferred database over MySQL. It's open-source and licenses are free, so it is excellent. The SQL queries are almost the same as MySQL.

• "Clustering will be the number 1 feature. It is also open-source so it is free. It can also be clustered, to allow fault tolerance."
  • "It could be improved by using parallelization. You want basically, distributed computing."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to use PostgreSQL instead of MySQL because of licensing issues. Another reason is that Oracle may remove MySQL soon or add substantial costs to using it It may even turn into something like MariaDB, and then you would need to know if MariaDB and MySQL work the same? PostgreSQL really works well. There are a lot of other databases around right now, but PostgreSQL is the most popular. It is not like a hammer and a nail situation whereby it is the only thing you have to use. If you need a relational database management system, go for PostgreSQL instead of MariaDB or MySQL, then…
Kaan Çelik
Data Analytics and Business Intelligence Manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, flexible and stable

What is our primary use case?

The database is used for our customers' products. We also offer some products on our POC system, and our customer's POC systems post some data stored on PostgreSQL on the cloud. Our company's data doesn't store at PostgreSQL. We still have our system MS SQL and Oracle.

• "The product is quite flexible."
  • "The pricing could be better."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We generally use the last version, as we try to ensure all of our programs are the latest technology. Therefore, we generally use cloud platforms like Amazon or Microsoft, which is Azure. Whichever version is on the cloud, we generally use that version. That said, some of it is on the cloud and some of it is on-premise. In Turkey, we have some legal requirements that require some data to be stored in our country. We have to store it locally. Therefore, we can't use the cloud completely. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. I would rate the…
Learn what your peers think about PostgreSQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Faustine Chisasa
Engineering Supervisor- Corporate Data Solutions and Services at TZ Telecoms. Corporation
Easy to manage, good integration, improves performance, and saves on storage space

What is our primary use case?

I use PostgreSQL on-premises to store monitoring data collected by the Zabbix Server. I wanted a database engine that could handle an ingress of a thousand real-time values per second, delete old items without affecting performance, and handle hundreds of user requests at all times. The solution had to support high compression and time series data while maintaining data integrity and performance. I wanted the database engine to be easy to tune, secure, and set up. PostgreSQL has regular updates and plenty of official and community resources.

• "We managed to reduce the storage space needed to 10% of the original size, without affecting data integrity, and we significantly improved the performance."
  • "PostgreSQL uses high memory compared to its counterparts when a highly demanding load is involved, especially one that makes many concurrent connections to the database."

What other advice do I have?

For anybody who is considering this solution, my advice is that it is better to do enough research on the specific database engine requirements. I highly recommend PostgreSQL with TimescaleDB extension for time-series data.
MS
Head of Technical Support at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Free to use, stable, and quick to set up

What is our primary use case?

We use it for processing files mostly. It integrates basically with the SQL Server. On the server-side it uses the SQL Server, then from the files that are generated from SQL Server we do have an application running using Microsoft, and we attach it to a Postgres server. We do is for the backups there from time to time.

• "The product is very similar to the SQL Server."
  • "I'm not really able to customize it."

What other advice do I have?

The last one that we used is version 11 or something like that. I'm not sure if that's the latest version or not. Postgres is similar to Linux. It's designed for people who would know what they want, who would have to set up what they need, and they would use it, and they know that it's straightforward, so that other people cannot just go in and mess with it. I'd rate the product as a nine out of ten. I'd recommend the solution to other users.
NK
Senior IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Scales well and offers a quick and easy setup

What is our primary use case?

Typically, our team runs the database and then the applications, on Postgres. However, I'm not part of the development process.

• "The initial setup is quick and easy."
  • "It would be great if the solution offered even more integration capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

We are simply a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with PostgreSQL. The solution is deployed both on the cloud and on-premises. We use more than one deployment model. I can't recall the exact version number we are using, however, it's my understanding that it is not necessarily the latest version. I'd recommend this product to other organizations. It's worked well for us so far. In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
KA
Chief technical officer at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
You can provide a multi-component with the database at the same service with the same performance and scalability

What is our primary use case?

The database for the accounting systems is our primary use case for this solution. Business software is 80% of my use case in the accounting software. It's a good tool for planning. I work with financial data and the data mining aspect is very important, as I need to access the data easily. The data is the most important thing. Sometimes the software developers forget this part because they just want to save the data on the database, but they don't know how to manipulate the data. The performance of the solution is dependant on how easily and quickly you can obtain access to the data.

• "With the database, you can provide a multi-component at the same service with the same performance, scalability, or all those things."
  • "The database and applications can become very slow."

What other advice do I have?

If you want one tenant, you can use MySQL. If you want a multi-tenant, I think Postgres is better. SQL on PostgreSQL is linked to Oracle. Oracle and Postgres is the same thing, the same language. You will not have a big change for the software developers to migrate from Oracle to Postgres. I would rate PostgreSQL 8 out of 10.
hugodpereira
Computer engineering student at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Good for database management, free to use, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to develop the databases for your application. I used it personally for a college assignment.

• "It's a standard reliable database management system."
  • "The interface could be much better."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I'm mostly happy with its capabilities. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this product for beginners.
EK
Sr Lead Data & Information Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use, simple to install, and quite stable

What is our primary use case?

The solution is quite a good database for light applications for sure. This is how we are using it - as a front-end application and the canned database of PostgreSQL. The use case is comparable to Oracle, with quite a wide range of usage.

• "It's quite scalable."
  • "If it was free to use, it would be the perfect solution."

What other advice do I have?

I can't recall the exact version number of the solution. We're planning to move to the latest version. The solution is installed in the cloud, however, it's a software as a service, provided by AWS. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's very comparable to Oracle. While it does depend on the use case, for the most part, I would recommend the solution to other companies and users.
See 14 more PostgreSQL Reviews
Product Categories
Open Source Databases
Download our free PostgreSQL Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.