TS
Sr. Director, Security and Architecture at a pharma/biotech company with 11-50 employees
Provides visibility into what is going on, 100% stable, and infinitely scalable

• "Panorama enables you to provision all your firewalls and other things as a cluster. It is quite useful for that."
  • "Its UI and usability could be improved. The way the UI looks could be improved to make it a little bit more intuitive. Other than that, it is a pretty simple product."

What is our primary use case?

It is essentially a lightweight SIEM, so it'll detect and flag any sort of vulnerabilities or attacks on your network.

I've been using the most recent version of it. In terms of deployment, it is on the cloud. It is a private cloud. It is Palo Alto's Cloud, and I think they host on AWS.

How has it helped my organization?

It centralized the management of our Palo Alto systems. It provided more visibility into what was going on. It sort of gave a single painted glass picture instead of 25 different pictures.

What is most valuable?

It is a very simple product. It does what it is designed to do.

What needs improvement?

Its UI and usability could be improved. The way the UI looks could be improved to make it a little bit more intuitive. Other than that, it is a pretty simple product.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

It is 100% stable.

It is highly scalable. It is pretty much infinite.

In terms of the users, the Firewall Management team and the Security team use it. There are probably only 10 people who really have access to it. They also take care of its maintenance.

It is being used extensively at the moment. Its usage will just kind of naturally grow over time. As we deploy more devices, we'll put them into Panorama for management.

Palo Alto is very good at technical support. They're a 10 out of 10. They're very good.

We used FireMon in the past. It does a little bit more, but it is not as tightly integrated as the Palo Alto solution.

It was very straightforward and very simple. I helped them roll it out and watch them spin it up. I didn't do anything configuration-wise, but I think it took us 10 minutes. It was that fast.

It was done in-house.

Its licensing is yearly and multi-yearly. It is not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared for simple. It is not complicated. You're up and running in 10 minutes, so you'll be surprised.

It is only for Palo Alto products, so you can't scale it to anything else. It does what it is designed to do, which is to manage Palo Alto firewalls and other Palo Alto equipment.

I would rate it a 10 out of 10. It is a pretty simple platform; it is just the UI that can be made a little more intuitive. That's it.

Private Cloud

Other
LR
Senior System Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
An easy initial setup with good policies and good scalability

• "The firewall rules and policies are the most valuable aspects of the solution."
  • "The product could offer more integration with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to protect our perimeter. It's used for security purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

The product is set up so that we can handle more than one firewall. We can handle a bunch all in one application. It makes it simpler that everything is more centralized.

What is most valuable?

The firewall rules and policies are the most valuable aspects of the solution.

The interface and dashboard are quite good.

We haven't had any issues with the management of the solution.

The product offers good technical support and documentation.

We haven't had issues with scalability or performance. It's been very stable over the years.

I don't recall the initial setup giving us any troubles.

What needs improvement?

I haven't come across any issues with the product. Overall, it's been very positive.

I don't recall missing any features. It's a fairly complete solution.

The product could offer more integration with other solutions.

I've been dealing with the solution for five or six years at this point. It's been a while. It's not new to our company.

The solution is quite stable. There are no glitches or bugs. It doesn't crash or freeze. the performance is reliable.

We are currently in a hardware upgrade and I hope that it's very seamless. It is scalable; we checked the hardware and I do not expect to upgrade again due to the current hardware performance being really good.

We've connected with technical support a few times. It was normal, much like our experience with other vendors. They are average and provide the support we require. We are satisfied so far with their level of attention.

I also have experience with various firewalls, such as Checkpoint, Palo Alto, and Cisco.

The initial setup was not handled by myself. It was handled by a colleague. However, I do not recall them struggling with the implementation. The setup seemed to be quite straightforward. It's not overly complex, from what I witnessed.

My colleague handled the implementation.

I can't directly speak to the price of the solution. It's not an aspect of the solution I handle.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the organization.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It's been very useful for our organization and we've been quite happy with its capabilities.

It is a next-generation firewall, and therefore you can use it for a lot of requirements, and lots of solutions. I would highly recommend it.

Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks Panorama. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Leandro Soares Costa
Cloud Security Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Awesome stability and comes with useful features like IPS, App-ID, and content inspection

• "The application ID or App-ID feature is a good feature for us. We are also using IPS and content inspection features. The firewall can inspect the packages that are passing through my network."
  • "It should have more connection with Threat Intelligence Cloud. They can also include features related to SecOps and automation API."

What is our primary use case?

Our firewall uses IPS and other features. We have some firewall rules using the IPS feature. For the VPN users using the MFA authentication protocol, we are using the SAML protocol.

What is most valuable?

The application ID or App-ID feature is a good feature for us. We are also using IPS and content inspection features. The firewall can inspect the packages that are passing through my network.

What needs improvement?

It should have more connection with Threat Intelligence Cloud. They can also include features related to SecOps and automation API.

I have been using Palo Alto Networks Panorama for two years.

It is awesome in terms of stability.

In terms of scalability, it is complicated because you have to scale up. Its scalability could be better. It would be great if you could scale out by integrating another node, and you are good to go.

Currently, you have to buy new hardware with more power in terms of CPU and memory. You cannot simply increase the nodes in a cluster. In the last five months, we had to acquire new hardware because we are facing some higher usage in the Palo Alto hardware. We have about 15,000 users.

They provide good support. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

They can increase the SOA time. When dealing with your case, sometimes, they take time. In the queue, you need to pass through one analyst and then go to the next level, which takes some time.

It was quite straightforward. In terms of technology, it was okay. As our environment is quite complicated, we had to deal with several phases of the implementation because we don't have only one appliance installed. We have implemented four Palo Altos. That's why it took some time, but it was just because of the complexity of our environment, not because of the solution itself. The whole project took one year.

We did some POCs to understand this solution. We had a lot of discussions in terms of the best way to implement this solution in our environment. It took the effort that this kind of solution normally takes.

It is not a cheap solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise studying and understanding the best factors for implementing Palo Alto Networks Panorama and creating a roadmap to use all the features because it is not a cheap solution. Understand the possible ways to implement Palo Alto Networks Panorama and create a roadmap that implements all the features.

Palo Alto is constantly improving its solutions. They have been doing a great job and putting a great effort into their products. I would rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama a nine out of ten. We are satisfied with the solution.

CTO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Good scheduling and reporting with very reliable stability

• "The solution is very stable. It's reliable. We don't experience bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash. It works as expected."
  • "The solution should improve the speed at which they make changes on the system. Historically, they've been a bit slow in that respect. They should apply changes to the box quicker and more often."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to centrally manage multiple firewalls that we have in our infrastructure and to be able to consistently push policies to them. It's really just a management platform.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of the solution are the backup to recovery, pushing out the patches, and scheduling.

It also has good reporting capabilities in it as well.

What needs improvement?

I don't see many places to improve the solution. For us, it's working quite well.

I've probably used the solution a few years now. I would say that it's been at least three to four years.

Right now, the solution appears to be very scalable. I should note that, with a company of our size, we're not pushing it to its functional limits or anything by any stretch of the imagination. That said, it scales very well for us.

I personally have never required much help from them, but I have found that they're very responsive. Our company has been satisfied with the level of support they have provided us over the years.

The initial setup was not complex. It was actually quite straightforward.

My engineer did most of the installation for the organization. We didn't need outside resources or any kind.

We pay approximately $3,000 a year in order to use the product.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller of Palo Alto.

We're currently using the most up to date version of the solution at our organization.

I would advise companies considering using the solution to go through the training before setting out on implementing anything. New users should maybe be somewhat familiar with it before they do the installation, just so that they can familiarize themselves with how it works. It's not difficult, however, you just don't want to go at it without having some understanding of where things are located. It will make the setup much easier.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten overall. It's a very solid product from a management perspective. Often companies will try to oversell how great their product is, however, in this case, it's true. It's very good.

Sumanth Myneni
Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
An easy setup with good security alerts and a nice dashboard

• "Our team has the option to make configuration changes at any given time."
  • "At times we have noticed that we get into issues where Panorama is going too slow or has other little problems. The performance can suffer occasionally."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security.

What is most valuable?

The solution works on a single pane of glass, so we have a good overview of everything happening.

We can easily look at security alerts.

Our team has the option to make configuration changes at any given time.

There are excellent reporting capabilities within the product.

The setup is quite easy.

What needs improvement?

The pricing should be reconsidered. It's too high right now.

At times we have noticed that we get into issues where Panorama is going too slow or has other little problems. The performance can suffer occasionally.

I've worked with the solution for three to four years at this point. It's been a while now.

The solution is stable, aside from a few performance issues. We find it to be reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not really buggy. It's pretty good.

The solution isn't too scalable. Organizations should keep this in mind if they are considering installing it.

We have about ten or more people on the team that make use of the solution. They're admins and they monitor it.

Technical support has been good so far. I'd say that we are satisfied with the service. They seem to be knowledgable and responsive.

The initial setup isn't too complex. It's pretty straightforward.

The production instances take about an hour or so. Deployment is fast.

We have ten admins that make sure the solution is working properly at any given time.

The pricing is too high for us. We'd like it to be more affordable.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Palo Alto.

I'm not sure of which version of the solution I'm using. I've worked with many versions, including both newer and older ones.

We use multiple deployment models. We use both cloud and on-premises deployments.

In general, I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. It's worked well for us and we don't believe there's anything feature-wise that is really missing.

I'd rate the solution, on a scale from one to ten, at an eight. Of course, if it was less expensive and had a more stable performance, I'd mark it higher.

Hybrid Cloud
RS
Network Security Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Stable with a good user interface but could have better security updates

• "Technical support is helpful and knowledgeable."
  • "The product does need a bit of configuration. It's not quite ready to go out of the box."

What is most valuable?

Via the management display, you can actually manage multiple firewalls within it. We have multiple sites and are able to manage multiple firewalls very well.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The solution scales well.

The product has been quite stable so far.

Technical support is helpful and knowledgeable.

The user interface is pretty good.

The pricing of the product is fair. It's not too high.

What needs improvement?

The solution could do a bit more with its security updates. Palo Alto in general could be a bit more secure.

Support is pretty good, however, they could always be a bit faster and more responsive.

I've been using Palo Alto products for three years and Panorama for about one year.

The solution is very stable. We didn't have any issues with crashes or freezing. There aren't bugs or glitches. It works well.

The solution can scale if you need it to.

We have multiple sites. We have ten to 20 branches across India.

Technical support is pretty good. they have good engineers on their side. They are very helpful and they follow up. We're very satisfied with their level of support.

The installation process took several steps. First of all, we needed to do all the media files. I basically just downloaded the media files from the folder. Then we deployed into the VM. We added a management tool in Palo Alto. After that, we needed to ensure that the Palo Alto and Panorama were using the correct serial number, and we needed to set up a template to get a US2. We then purchased a warranty and listed the policies from the Panorama to Palo Alto.

I'm not quite sure how long the full deployment took.

The solution isn't too expensive. It's reasonable, especially if you compare it to other options on the market.

What other advice do I have?

We are Palo Alto partners.

I believe I am using a variation of version nine from Panorama. I've deployed the solution on a virtual machine, however, I've never deployed it to the cloud.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

Overall, I would rate it at a seven on a scale from one to ten.

SE
Network Security Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
A flexible and scalable centralized management system, but it could be easier to manage

• "I like its flexibility."
  • "It could be easier to manage. In the future, it should be much easier because it's not very easy to manage. So in the next release, I think it should be much easier to manage, especially in the first configuration. It could also be more stable."

What is our primary use case?

We use it only for management. It's dependent on the customer environment. If they have more than one Palo Alto product, they prefer to buy Panorama because you can manage all Palo Alto products.

Suppose you have four or five firewalls for different environments related to the same customer. You can buy one license for Panorama and handle the management of all these firewalls simultaneously from one console.

We usually use the same use cases related to it because we're working with only government parastatals. We have certain criteria that we cannot move out of, and we should be in the same line as they provide for us.

What is most valuable?

I like its flexibility.

What needs improvement?

It could be easier to manage. In the future, it should be much easier because it's not very easy to manage. So in the next release, I think it should be much easier to manage, especially in the first configuration. It could also be more stable.

I used Palo Alto Networks Panorama for about a year and a half.

Palo Alto Networks Panorama is fairly stable. Sometimes it takes a long time. Sometimes there is a delay in pushing the policy or configuration between the Panorama and the host.

Palo Alto Networks Panorama is scalable.

Palo Alto technical support is good, and they answer in really good time.

It's easy to install, but the configuration is not simple as the installation. Nevertheless, the deployment should take less than ten minutes.

We're an integrator, and we implement this solution.

Sometimes the company prefers to give a license to test the product in our environment before we go to the customer. But the customer should buy his own license, and that's the system here. The system is different between one country and another. Some countries say that the IT solutions provider should provide the license.

I lived in Turkey before, and over there, the customer buys the license and provides this license to the IT solutions provider. However, here in Qatar, the customer asks the IT solutions provider to do everything.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Palo Alto Networks Panorama a seven.

TG
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Works well and helpful for centralized management of devices at different locations

• "Templates and the possibility to apply a configuration to many devices at the same time are the most valuable features. We are able to create templates, and we don't need to go to each firewall to make changes. We can make changes in Panorama, and it automatically applies those changes to all those firewalls on which we want to apply the changes. It provides centralized management."
  • "It communicates with remote devices, and sometimes, there is a little bit of delay during its communication with remote devices. There should be real-time communication or updates from the manager to devices."

What is our primary use case?

It is a management tool, and we use it to manage many devices at many locations.

What is most valuable?

Templates and the possibility to apply a configuration to many devices at the same time are the most valuable features. We are able to create templates, and we don't need to go to each firewall to make changes. We can make changes in Panorama, and it automatically applies those changes to all those firewalls on which we want to apply the changes. It provides centralized management.

What needs improvement?

It communicates with remote devices, and sometimes, there is a little bit of delay during its communication with remote devices. There should be real-time communication or updates from the manager to devices.

In Panorama and Palo Alto firewalls, I would like to have a traffic simulator. They have packet capture for troubleshooting, but it would help if they can provide a traffic simulator so that we can simulate the traffic and see the route the traffic is taking and get feedback about whether it is blocked or it is able to pass.

I have been using this solution for maybe a year and a half.

I don't have big deployments. It works and is stable for what I have, and I don't have concerns.

I don't have experience in big deployments. In terms of its users, our network engineers have access to it. We have less than 10 people.

I don't have any experience with their tech support.

Its main competitor is Cisco with the next-generation firewalls and FTD. They are managed by FMC, which is a little bit similar to Panorama and firewalls. There are some similarities, but there are also some different approaches. In general, they both are using the same standards. One major difference is that Palo Alto uses security zones, but Cisco doesn't have this feature, which makes Palo Alto better.

It is not so straightforward, but it is also not complex. It is acceptable.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to completely evaluate the requirements and build properly with hierarchical templates. This will make it more scalable and manageable in the future.

I would rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama an eight out of 10.