Palo Alto Networks Panorama Overview

Palo Alto Networks Panorama is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Firewall Security Management tools. It is most often compared to AWS Firewall Manager: Palo Alto Networks Panorama vs AWS Firewall Manager

What is Palo Alto Networks Panorama?

Panorama network security management provides static rules and dynamic security updates in an ever-changing threat landscape. Reduce administrator workload and improve your overall security posture with a single rule base for firewall, threat prevention, URL filtering, application awareness, user identification, file blocking and data filtering.

Palo Alto Networks Panorama Buyer's Guide

Download the Palo Alto Networks Panorama Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Palo Alto Networks Panorama Customers

University of Arkansas, JBG SMITH, Temple University, Telkom Indonesia

Palo Alto Networks Panorama Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks Panorama pricing:
  • "Initially, Palo Alto looks expensive, but if you dig deeper then you will find that it is very comparable, or even cheaper than other solutions."
  • "The solution is priced well and there is a license for this solution that we pay annually for."
  • "It is not a cheap solution."

SN
Head of IT Department at a logistics company
Offers a lot of advanced functionality that is easy to deploy and the GUI is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

This is a solution that we implement for our customers. It allows our customers to manage several firewalls from a central location. Some examples are securing the internet edge, data centers, micro-segmentation within the data centers, and securing their campuses. The majority of the deployments are on-premises, however, we have more and more customers that are moving to the cloud. This solution is helping them to secure their cloud, as well.

• "Using this solution means that you can store logs for longer periods, up to perhaps two years, depending on your attached storage."
  • "The dual WAN functionality is missing in this solution."

What other advice do I have?

This is the most mature next-generation firewall in the market and a solution that I strongly recommend. The biggest lesson that I have learned from this solution is not to trust internet users. Whether it is regular users or employees, they do not like to be detected. They keep trying to work around the policies using different applications and peer-to-peer functionality. I have learned this because Palo Alto has full visibility to all types of traffic, and we're able to catch these scenarios and put security policies int place. Palo Alto has done a lot towards closing gaps in security. Cloud…
Lead Program Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, scalable and very user friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for automation purposes and for security.

• "You don't need an overly experienced workforce to handle Palo Alto. It's very easy to use."
  • "They need to do less bug-related releases and create versions that are stable for at least six months at a time. I don't find this issue in other solutions like Cisco, Check Point, FortiGate, or others. Those just provide a patch if there is a bug and we don't have to worry about downtime."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company. We have multiple variants of the solution's model. Currently, we are using 8.1.15-H. We also have some virtual firewalls that are recently in Tokyo. We are using close to around 800+ Palo Alto firewalls. We're currently developing our virtual firewalls and have them in different locations. It is not just Palo Alto. We have other devices as well, so we have close to around 1300 plus firewall devices. I would recommend the solution to others. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If you need a perimeter type of…
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks Panorama. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RD
Director, Compliance and Risk Management at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Sophisticated and robust prevention that is relatively easy to setup even in complex environments

What is our primary use case?

My obligations consist of overseeing cyber threat intelligence, threat defense operation, digital forensic incident response, and data loss prevention. So in the context of endpoint solutions, my position pertains mainly to the DLP (data loss prevention) function. Cisco AMP (Advanced Malware Protection) plays a significant role in our perimeter strategy for protecting the infrastructure. I work primarily with making sure that we have indicators of compromise in Cisco AMP. I am not on the network engineering or network operations side of things. I am mainly a consumer of services from those… more »

• "The product features allow the capacity to take effective, advanced security measures."
  • "The product could use some method of allowing for more customization and open integration with other controls."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Networks Panorama is to thoroughly research the competitive landscape. Do your Gartner research. Make sure you develop a set of requirements — a feature matrix that you can use to compare your requirements with the functionality offered by the various solutions under consideration. There are a lot of solutions out there and the goal would be to pick the one that best fits your situation rather than just one that someone recommends. On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as an eight-of-ten considering the…
MS
Security Consultant
Improves management abilities by simplifying the implementation of policies for all branches

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is jack monitoring and file management.

• "What I like most about this solution is that it allows me to push multiple policies on multiple followers at the same time."
  • "Customer support can improve."

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend this solution to others because it is a good solution, but only if you are using multiple files and not only two or three files. You should have at least five files for this solution to be right for you. I rate this product an eight out of ten. Easier implementation with other solutions will increase my rating. In the future, I would like to see additional features being able to install firewalls using remote sites and the ability to do initial configuration using Panorama. I would like this initial configuration to be copied on USP and have the firewalls configured to connect…
Swapnil Talegaonkar
Technology consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Superior firewall management, plenty of features, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to manage our two perimeter devices. We have two firewall setups; one perimeter and one internal firewall and we have two different Panorama for managing both set of firewall.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are that it works better than a normal firewall, easy to explorer all of its features, and it has the Log Collector mode. This mode allows us to store our logs for two years in the solution itself."
  • "There is a need to improve the upgrade process. When we are upgrading the solution we are facing some issues with Elasticsearch services. Every time we upgrade it takes a long time to become stable."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement this solution that is pretty straightforward, and Palo Alto has written very detailed documentation on their website. If you go through that it is very easy to deploy. You will not run into any issues if you follow the documentation. I recommend this solution to others. I rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama a nine out of ten.
LR
Senior System Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
An easy initial setup with good policies and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to protect our perimeter. It's used for security purposes.

• "The firewall rules and policies are the most valuable aspects of the solution."
  • "The product could offer more integration with other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the organization. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It's been very useful for our organization and we've been quite happy with its capabilities. It is a next-generation firewall, and therefore you can use it for a lot of requirements, and lots of solutions. I would highly recommend it.
Leandro Soares Costa
Cloud Security Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Awesome stability and comes with useful features like IPS, App-ID, and content inspection

What is our primary use case?

Our firewall uses IPS and other features. We have some firewall rules using the IPS feature. For the VPN users using the MFA authentication protocol, we are using the SAML protocol.

• "The application ID or App-ID feature is a good feature for us. We are also using IPS and content inspection features. The firewall can inspect the packages that are passing through my network."
  • "It should have more connection with Threat Intelligence Cloud. They can also include features related to SecOps and automation API."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise studying and understanding the best factors for implementing Palo Alto Networks Panorama and creating a roadmap to use all the features because it is not a cheap solution. Understand the possible ways to implement Palo Alto Networks Panorama and create a roadmap that implements all the features. Palo Alto is constantly improving its solutions. They have been doing a great job and putting a great effort into their products. I would rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama a nine out of ten. We are satisfied with the solution.
AA
Senior Security Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good firewall monitoring solution with a user-friendly interface in need of better technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution primarily for monitoring the firewalls that we have. We have multiple firewalls, including a DC firewall, a perimeter firewall, etc. We are using Panorama to control all of our firewalls.

• "It's helpful that the solution allows us to control all the firewalls from one device."
  • "It can take a few minutes to test to see if any changes are successful or not. This needs to be improved. A commit change should take a second, not a minute or more."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud deployment model. I would recommend the solution. It has a user-friendly interface. It's stable. You can easily troubleshoot any issue. You will also get clear information, and, in general, it's a very good product that allows you to manage more than one device from a central interface. Of course, before you do any change, I would recommend that you back up everything first. I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
See 20 more Palo Alto Networks Panorama Reviews