IQ
Branch Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
User-friendly with an easy setup and a good user interface

• "The initial installation is very straightforward."
  • "There are some cloud-based features that could be much more flexible than they currently are."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for network security and security next-generation firewalls.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite user-friendly.

We find that the system interface is simple to navigate.

The initial installation is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It's my understanding that they are currently working on improving the cloud solution quite substantially.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't have bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We find the solution to be quite scalable. If your organization needs to expand this solution out, you shouldn't have any problems doing so.

We have two or three different locations and have between 50 to 200 users amongst those locations.

The technical support is very good.

Most of the time, whenever a ticket is opened and we reach out to support on behalf of our customers, they offer good advice and are very responsive. We're satisfied with the level of service we're provided.

The implementation is not complex. It's very straightforward to set up and does not take a lot of time to deploy everything.

That said, I did not handle the implementation myself, so I can't speak to more technical aspects of the job.

We had four or five resources that assist in network security and they all helped with the deployment.

I don't handle the pricing side of the product and therefore can't speak to anything in regards to the licensing or costs.

What other advice do I have?

Although we largely handle on-premises deployment models, we have suggested cloud versions to our clients recently.

We are a solution-providing company, and we are offering products to our customers.

Although we really enjoy the solution, there's a lot of very interesting competition in the market. The competition is huge. As a partner of the product, we get a lot of questions we have to answer, and, to be honest, this solution isn't as strong in some areas as others.

That said, we would recommend the solution to others.

Overall, I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

KN
Service Delivery Engineer - Network Security Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Integrates smoothly, scales well, and high-quality features

• "The solution is highly scalable because they have devices that can handle a large amount of traffic."
  • "The solution could have licensing fees reduced in the future."

What is most valuable?

When trying to move from MPLS to SD-WAN they have a very good SD-WAN offering.

The solution integrates well.

It has high-quality security features.

It provides a full end-to-end security suite.

The security of the solution is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution could have licensing fees reduced in the future.

I have been using the solution for 5 years.

It is not common for the solution to become unstable, but it does happen. The good thing is, they constantly release updates. If the version you are using has a bug, in the next version it definitely will be fixed.

The solution is highly scalable because they have devices that can handle a large amount of traffic. The VM version with the hardware appliances is widely scalable. It can handle small businesses to large scale enterprises. In terms of mode of deployment, you have VM, hardware appliance, and cloud. There is cloud management as well that is scalable. It can suit a number of deployment scenarios.

We currently have 50 employees using the solution, some of our clients that have deployed it has 1000 users and it has not given a problem.

The customer service was very fast to respond to our needs.

The installation is not difficult but there is a learning curve, it becomes easy over time.

The basic installation took approximately two days. A more complicated scenario can take even up to two weeks. Depending on the options that you are looking for, there are many things you can consider. If you are looking at a complex design then you are going to take more time.

I did the deployments myself with one other technician.

The pricing of the solution is very competitive. The license price can vary depending on the product you have and the different types of licenses you need. For example, they have an enterprise and UTM license. It depends on the type of license and the size of the company.

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet has a product that can cater to any area of the security market. For example, application firewall and authentication products.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RJ
Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good pricing with very good threat and content filtering switches

• "The solution has very good threat and content filtering switches."
  • "It's my understanding that more of the current generation features could be brought in. There could be more integration with EDRs, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We have used the solution as a perimeter firewall. We are using it as an anti-ATP solution also.

What is most valuable?

The firewall features are pretty good.

The solution has very good threat and content filtering switches.

The initial installation is fairly easy.

What needs improvement?

I'm from the sales side and therefore I wouldn't really know if there are features that are lacking.

I've been using the solution for two or three years. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is stable. It doesn't have any issues with bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash and freeze. It's very reliable.

Since we are integrators, this product gets sold to people who have a minimum 25 and up to 600 users.

At the moment, we don't plan to increase usage.

The technical support is very good. We're satisfied with their level of support. They are quite responsive and knowledgeable.

We were previously using Sophos and Watchguard.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty much a straightforward implementation. There aren't really any surprises.

The length of deployment differs based on the kind of policies a client would like to implement. If they are very simple policies, then there isn't a lot of work to worry about. However, if there are complex policies or multiple policies, it does take some time to get things up and running.

I didn't handle the installation personally, as I am in sales.

We have three or four people in our organization who handle maintenance.

We have a systems integrator in-house that handles the deployment.

The solution isn't too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're integrators. We help our clients with this solution.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend this solution to other users.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator.
NomanSaleem
IT & PPN Coordinator at a manufacturing company
Highly rated, easy to manage, and pretty easy to set up

• "The solution is very easy to understand. It's not overly complex."
  • "The solution needs to improve its integration with cybersecurity."

What is our primary use case?

Our organization has 45 branches. We use the Fortigate 200 models at our data centers and have centralized connectivity between our different branches and our data centers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to understand. It's not overly complex.

The product is user-friendly and easy to manage.

Fortigate overall has a very high security rating in Gartner. We feel safe under their security features. It has extended options as well, if you would like even more security for your organization.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its integration with cybersecurity. While in general, it's pretty good, this is always a concern as the landscape shifts constantly. They need to ensure they stay on top of things so that their security and integrations stay constantly up to date in order to protect our company.

We've been using the solution for seven to eight years. It's been quite a while. We have lots of experience with it.

The solution is quite stable. We don't have issues with the product freezing or crashing. We don't deal with glitches or bugs or anything of that nature.

The solution can scale if you need it to. That's not a problem at all.

We do plan on continuing to use the service going forward.

The solution overall is very easy to understand. Therefore, the initial setup is not complex. It's straightforward. Even the configurations are good. An organization shouldn't have too much trouble with it.

How long it takes to deploy depends on  what you want to configure on a firewall. It depends on the policies being implemented. That definitely takes time depending on the company and what is being done. If you are familiar with all features and all the steps regarding how to create a policy and how to implement a policy, it is pretty easy and won't take too long.

I've handled the initial implementation myself many times. I don't necessarily need any outside assistance.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would recommend this solution. I'd rate it ten out of ten. We've enjoyed using the product and we appreciate its security features.

PH
Deputy Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good stability and fair pricing with an easy initial setup

• "The customization potential is quite impressive."
  • "The ease of use could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the firewall for the most part. It's to help us with security on our network.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a very good set of rules.

The customization potential is quite impressive. It can be customized based on our licensing contracts.

The initial setup was pretty simple. We didn't find it to be overly difficult to execute on.

Technical support is rather helpful.

We find the stability to be pretty good.

We didn't have any trouble setting up the solution.

We find the pricing to be fairly good.

What needs improvement?

The ease of use could be improved.

We've been using the solution for about five years. We have been continuously working with FortiGate itself throughout that time. It's been a while.

So far, the stability has been pretty good for us. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. I'd describe the stability as reliable.

I can't really speak to the scalability of the solution, as it isn't as aspect I handle. I've never tried to do it, so I'm not sure how it works.

We have about 50 users on the solution. About one third have access to it.

We only really had one issue in the past where we had to deal with technical support. We needed some restoration of some data. It wasn't a bad experience. We were satisfied with their level of service. They seem to be knowledgeable and responsive.

In terms of the initial setup, the process was not complex at all. We found it to be very straightforward and easy. We didn't run into any issues setting everything up.

We have one engineer that handles ongoing maintenance for us when we need it.

The pricing is fair. I don't feel that it is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I've been good with using Fortinet. It's a fine tool.

Overall, I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

I would rate it a nine on a scale from one to ten.

TF
Officer / General Manager Software R&D Laboratory at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use with good GUI and an easy initial setup

• "The usage in general is pretty good."
  • "The performance could be a bit better. Right now, I find it to be lacking. Having good performance is very important for our work."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the VPN.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is pretty easy, at least if you are looking to take advantage of basic functionality.

The usage in general is pretty good.

The GUI is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The support could be improved upon somewhat.

The command line operation is a bit out of our depth.

We've been dealing with the solution for about two years.

The solution is quite stable. We don't have issues with bugs or glitches. For us, we haven't had problems with crashing or freezing. It's been working well for the most part.

I can't speak to the scalability. I've never attempted to scale and therefore don't have a sense of how well the solution would take to it.

We have about 30 engineers that work with the solution currently. I'm not sure, however, if there are any plans to increase usage in the future.

The support wasn't the best. We weren't too satisfied with the level of service we were given.

The initial setup was very easy and straightforward. It was not complex. We do, however, use the basic functionality and therefore we don't really get into much complexity during the implementation.

The deployment itself is rather quick and we were able to get everything sorted in about one day.

The pricing isn't too bad. Right now, we find the cost to be manageable.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a special business relationship with Fortinet.

We're a development company. We sometimes use the cloud, however, we're open to other deployment models as well.

I've found the solution to be very good. Overall, I would rate it nine out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Lenos Jacob
Head of Customer Success at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Straightforward to setup, good support, and offers good visability

• "The most valuable features are the possibility of having one fabric for switching on security."
  • "I would like to see a more intuitive dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators, and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

The primary use case of this solution is as a firewall, with advanced capability features for sandboxing, for preventing ransomware and other related threats.

What is most valuable?

They have the feature where the fabric and the security fabric can be extended. That gives us visibility as a single pane of logs for many of the activities.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a more intuitive dashboard.

Technical support can improve in knowledge sharing and they can implement better.

The dashboard appearance needs to be more refined. It has to be smoother and more customer-friendly.

As the cloud is more prominent and more are moving towards the cloud, people are used to certain ease of doing things, and less complicated.

I understand that a firewall is a technical product, but we can try to make it a better customer experience which will increase usability with good results.

I have been working with this solution for three years.

Fortinet FortiGate is a stable solution. We have not experienced any issues.

It's a scalable product.

Technical support is fairly good. We are able to get our message through, they look into our issues and provide us with a solution without any hassle.

I would rate technical support a seven out of ten.

To be better, they would need responsive pre-set activities to be more refined. They need to be in a position to give more modular solutions or more pre-defined solutions that are present.

We did not have any problems with the implementation.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The Indian market is different than the European and American markets. When you compare, they need to be a bit more aggressive on pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We would recommend this firewall at any given point in time.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Miguel Ortiz
Security Solutions Architect at Verizon Communications
Reseller
Good VPN and DDoS capabilities with a low total cost of ownership

• "Virtual Domains (VDOMs) are a feature that we found valuable."
  • "To the best of my knowledge, Fortinet does not have a CASB solution and Fortinet does not have a Zero trust solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using manual router failover that can be configured on the Fortinet security appliance’s second network interface to provide network edge redundancy if the primary managed router fails. If the edge router fails, traffic can be moved to the security appliance with a simple cable swap.

We are looking for a fully redundant solution with automatic failover between both Fortinet Security appliances. I am currently looking at battle card information between Fortinet and Zscaler. I have to do a competitive analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

The low cost of ownership was a benefit with all of the features we wanted.

Preconfigured images have been developed for quick deployment. However, if we need a custom policy or have to include an existing policy then that can be accommodated as well.

What is most valuable?

Virtual Domains (VDOMs) are a feature that we found valuable.

We found the Firewall, VPN, Application Control, IPS, Fortiguard Web filtering, anti-botnet, FortiGuard, Anti Spam Wireless LAN controller, WAN optimization, vulnerability assessment, and endpoint control all to be valuable.

Fortinet certifications include NSS Labs for NGFW, firewall, IPS, SSL, antivirus, and antispam.

Fortinet provides a consolidated security platform for the market place and certifications with NSS labs prove their security assurance.

What needs improvement?

To the best of my knowledge, Fortinet does not have a CASB solution and Fortinet does not have a Zero trust solution. Fortinet claims to do everything Zscaler is capable of and I'm looking for a comparison between the supported features.

Fortinet VPN and DDoS capabilities are great, yet we need to provide a solution that enables CASB and integration to the cloud.

We have been using FortiGate for three years.

Fortinet is very easy to service and set up.

Fortinet is the least expensive solution.

We are comparing the features of Zscaler vs. Fortinet. We are trying to determine what features Zscaler has over Fortinet and vice versa.

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet was initially scoped as 25 rules for small, 50 for medium, and 100 for large. We need to incorporate more rules but there would be additional professional services or staging services. We are looking to incorporate the cloud access with the Fortinet UTM solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Verizon is a reseller of both Zscaler and Fortinet.
Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.