Microsoft Azure OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Infrastructure as a Service Clouds. It is most often compared to Oracle Cloud Platform: Microsoft Azure vs Oracle Cloud Platform

What is Microsoft Azure?

Windows Azure is Microsoft's cloud platform where developers can create, deploy, and maintain their apps. This cloud application platform allows developers to concentrate on the actual applications, while it takes care of all the elements behind the apps.

Windows Azure offers open across multiple frameworks,languages, and tools. It is fully scalable, localized in that it is hosted globally in many datacenters, and has widespread capabilities are, catering for all elements of application development, deployment, and management.

Azure is comprised of several different service modules,including Infrastructure; Web; Mobile; Dev & Test; Big Data; Media;Storage, Backup & Recovery; and Identity & Access Management.

Microsoft Azure is also known as Windows Azure, Azure, MS Azure.

Microsoft Azure Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Microsoft Azure Customers

BMW, Toyota, easyJet, NBC Sports, HarperCollins, Aviva, TalkTalk Business, Avanade, and Telenor.

Microsoft Azure Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure pricing:
  • "Pricing of Microsoft Azure services depends on the build of what you prepare to deploy."
  • "It is important to consider ROI when looking at the cost of a subscription."
  • "It's a metered environment, and it's pay-as-you-go. That's the big challenge with a metered environment."
  • "It is operational expenditure (OPEX). There is no cost upfront. When you start using it, you have to pay the charges. Initially, the cost is less, but after you start using it more and more, the cost will go higher. It is a little bit costly, but that is okay because you get better resources. You also get better support in terms of how you create the resources. Documentation is available, and the SLAs are met."

MT
Principal Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
This helps us meet multiple requirements other PaaS solutions do not but there is a lot of room for improvement

What is our primary use case?

I work with our enterprise architecture. In my network, there are almost 400 total applications. I have been working here for almost six months on a network migration and in those six months, I have been working with many of those applications that have been included with the involvement of Azure in the migration. We are migrating everything from the old network to a new architecture. There are multiple teams that I work with and people work with me throughout the organization. I review all the target architectures and the deployment and everything that comes along with the pieces of the… more »

• "It is a flexible solution that is straightforward to use."
  • "Stability can suffer in the context of a large architecture."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Azure as a solution because it is a popular product by a major brand and it is very easy to use. I think those people I would recommend it to should normally be those who understand the cloud and the advantages and disadvantages. I use it for a lot of things and I do not see any problems. I love it now as a solution so I would recommend it. But if I have a different experience with another very large migration project using a different product, I would have to compare Azure with that. I may get more comfortable with the other product for reasons I have not…
OmarJimenez
Future Datacenter Consultant: Microsoft Azure Cloud. at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Great environment assessment tools and monitoring features with pretty good scalability

What is our primary use case?

The solution is basically a platform as a service for web applications, virtual machines, Azure identity, et cetera. My day-to-day is to migrate servers using Mover or some other app to access on-premises data centers. We then use Azure Migrate to move the servers in order to take advantage of the new functionalities and things like that.

• "The user interface is very nice and makes everything easy to use."
  • "Support could be improved. If you pay for a higher plan, it's okay, however, the lower plans don't offer as good of a service experience."

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller and a Microsoft Gold partner. We are a CSP, a Cloud Solution Provider. We offer managed services to our customers. We are moving data centers to Azure, however, we are a managed service provider. We have access to the customer's environment in order to pull analytics data to help them with consulting services, and things like that. My basic advice to those considering the solution is that planning is essential. Microsoft does a good job of advising their customers at the outset to ensure they get what they need, however, it's helpful to go in and understand deeply what it is…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SS
Information Technology Consultant at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Extremely scalable with the capability to build an environment in minutes and offers good automation

What is our primary use case?

I primarily used the solution for hypothetical cases. I used the solution to look at the 2019 active directory environment, some remote SQL storage, and storage access from on-premises to the cloud.

• "The product scales extremely well."
  • "They need to make storage easy and offer more interconnectivity between solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I basically used the solution to study. I used a few different deployment models. I made an on-prem environment, Hyper-V environment, on my laptop and I connected it to the cloud. I'd advise those considering the solution to not put all of their eggs in one basket. By that, I mean, it's a good idea to go hybrid and not full cloud. Going hybrid covers that network loss that you could suffer if you lose the network. If you lost a data center or a region, you could still have your on-prem server running an image of the cloud onsite. I'd give the solution an eight out of ten. I haven't had a…
IW
Cloud Architect at a legal firm with 10,001+ employees
A classic solution in jeopardy of losing its flexibility due to becoming SaaS

What is our primary use case?

I work for a Naval Shipyard. We build fighter ships for fighter aircraft. The Navy is our sponsor. Everything that we do is Navy or Navy-related. A lot of what we do is classified; however, I can say that we do some robotic AI work. Microsoft is our corporate authentication piece, so everything has to authenticate to Microsoft Azure. Everything in the whole entire company has to authenticate there. Even if you're building something, you have to be leading up to the point where it's going to authenticate to Microsoft. They are the vendor of choice, as far as authentication, but they're not the… more »

• "If you're interested in going with Microsoft, my advice would be to do it. Everybody's using Microsoft."
  • "The support, the cost, the way they have the tiers, this could all be improved."

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in going with Microsoft, my advice would be to do it. Everybody's using Microsoft. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. The problem is that I'm an old Microsoft engineer. I like to build it the way I want to build it. I don't want it to be SaaS. I liked the fact that you could build your servers in the AWS environment and build out the servers the way you want. They're actually taking away a lot of the applications. More and more companies are switching to SaaS or IAS, etc. Now, the structure is going towards SaaS. I think I…
RL
Enterprise Architect at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A scalable cloud computing service with valuable automation features

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are basically cost agility and efficiency.

• "I think Azure's level of automation to achieve efficiency or agility is valuable. I also like the change capability cadence, the showback capabilities, and understanding what our costs are."
  • "We like that they have the new capabilities, but sometimes they're deprecating capabilities faster than we can handle. If we had to improve it, we would want to stay on some of these older capabilities a bit longer."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give potential users would be to focus on their cost management skills and metering skills. It's all about managing your consumption. You've got to understand your consumption patterns and then learn how to manage consumption patterns going forward. It's a really good product. In terms of leading hyperscalers, they offer very competitive features, functions, and rates compared to AWS and Google. They continue to advance their technical capabilities as rapidly or more rapidly than the other two hyperscalers. So, I would rate Microsoft Azure very high. On a scale from one to…
DB
Sr Solutions Architect at System Soft Technologies, LLC
Information protection is great as is the ability to provide temporary and secure access to vendors

What is our primary use case?

The product is being used for document sharing and archiving. The company wants their customers to be able to pull certain documents that they put on file. The idea is that through active directory B2B, they will offer access to the different files and customers will be able to pull the files they need from the server. The company uses information protection to make sure that only the right people have access to the right files. We are integrators, mainly on the software side. We are partners with Microsoft Azure and I'm a senior solution architect.

• "Good information protection feature."
  • "Could be more user friendly; initial setup is difficult to understand."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend anyone wanting to implement this solution to carry out background homework on active directory, on information access management (IAM), and then understand the licensing before you deploy. That aside, it's pretty straightforward. I've learned that setting up secure documents doesn't have to be difficult as long as you take into account those caveats of understanding your licensing and active directory. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
KR
Information Technology Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to add on services, relatively stable, and very scalable

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used to migrate data to the cloud. They have a few different ways that this can happen. You can use the public cloud or private cloud, for example. Or you can use a hybrid as well. If you want to add some services, they have that capability to do that. Even if you want to improve your network, and you want to add your storage, or you want to maybe improve the speed of your infrastructure, they have that capability.

• "Microsoft offers free courses and an exam on their products. Many of my colleagues who use Microsoft Azure take advantage of those free courses to help them learn about the solution in depth."
  • "It would be nice if there was an on-premises version of the solution, and it wasn't just cloud-based."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. I work as a partner with Microsoft. We're using the latest version of the solution at this time. I would recommend the solution to others. I'd rate it nine out of ten overall.
AK
Sr.Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Very scalable, no upfront expenses, fast time to market, and maximum uptime for our services

What is our primary use case?

The existing infrastructure of our customers is on-prem. We will be migrating or moving from on-prem to Microsoft Azure cloud.

• "Its scalability is valuable. Depending on our requirements, we can add as many virtual machines as we want. We are able to get high availability for services. Services are always available, and they have the maximum uptime. If there is any issue with one of the services, another service is always available. It is pay-as-you-go. You don't have to spend any money upfront. You use the service and pay after one month or a couple of hours of use."
  • "For deploying multiple resources in a big number, such as in hundreds, we need a streamlined process and more user-friendly scrips. The scripts have to be more user-friendly, and they should also supply some standard templates to deploy multiple resources at a time. Currently, it is very easy to deploy a couple of resources, but if you want to deploy multiple resources, it becomes complex. The material that they provide for integration with an existing on-prem data center is complex. They have to make them user-friendly. The scripts related to resource management need to be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

Companies are now starting to switch over to Azure, and before doing any kind of migration, they need to plan each and everything from scratch. They should have a Microsoft consultant or somebody from Microsoft so that they can plan well before using Azure. Otherwise, they will not be aware of where they are spending and how they can reduce the spending. They would also not know whether their security compliances are being met and whether their network is being fully utilized or having some issues. Proper planning has to be done before using Azure. I would rate Microsoft Azure an eight out of…
See 120 more Microsoft Azure Reviews