QV
IT Infrastructure managerInformation an Communication Services Manager at a agriculture with 5,001-10,000 employees
Great load balancing feature, secure and stable

• "Good load balancing feature."
  • "We have an issue with hotel guest vouchers."

What is our primary use case?

We've used this solution for the guest portal for our client and we also use it to secure the network of our firm. I am the IT infrastructure manager and we are customers of Fortinet.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that we don't have to use our IP address and that it roams. I also like the load balancing feature which allows you to attach several internet connections and load balance.

What needs improvement?

We have an issue with the license when it expires because we're unable to use the computers. We are in the hotel industry and there's an issue with vouchers when guests come in wanting to use them.

I've been using this solution for five years.

It's a stable solution. We had some issues after we upgraded but on the whole it's stable.

We don't have scalability requirements so I can't comment.

We had some issues with the local support, particularly with regard to purchasing the subscription. It took a very long time and at one point the license had expired and it took a while to sort out.

The initial setup is simple and doesn't take much time.

This is an affordable solution.

FortiGate is the most effective solution for us and it's a cheaper option to Check Point or Palo Alto which we looked at. They are both very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

VD
Information Security at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Great web tutor and automated rules by schedule features

• "The web tutor and automatic rules by schedule are good features."
  • "They've become quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for the UTM it offers and the access to VPN. We have branches in Rio, Singapore and the UK. I'm an information security manager and we are customers of Fortinet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for me are the web tutor and the automated rules by schedule - the VPN itself.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet is huge in today's market and they've become quite expensive. I think there are products at the same level as Fortinet, but with better prices. They've changed their subscription plan and are now forcing companies to subscribe 24/7.

I've been using the solution for around five years.

We never had any issues or problems related to stability.

There are other products on the market that are a little better than FortiGate in terms of scalability, but in general it's a good solution. We have about 200 users in the company.

We didn't need to contact technical support very much. We had a local partner and if there were problems we contacted them directly.

The initial setup was straightforward. We were implementing on a large project and it took a weekend to completely deploy with all the features, connections and everything.

What other advice do I have?

They have very good documentation and if you've had experience with other products I'm pretty sure that you'd be able to deploy just by reading the documentation.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DO
System Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Plenty of features, good quality hardware, and reliable

• "There are lots of features and most of them are deployed for internet security. Users are protected if they accidentally go to some malicious sites."
  • "The way everything is set up could be easier. Currently, people need a lot of experience and knowledge to administer it and to link it to devices."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is recommended for medium-sized and enterprise businesses that want their sensitive information secured.

What is most valuable?

There are lots of features and most of them are deployed for internet security. Users are protected if they accidentally go to some malicious sites.

What needs improvement?

The way everything is set up could be easier. Currently, people need a lot of experience and knowledge to administer it and to link it to devices.

I have been using the solution for approximately four years.

The solution is very reliable.

My colleagues have easily switched licenses and features for the device. There was not any complication, it was really intuitive.

Technical support agents are really responsive. They are a small company, but they are providing high-quality technical support every time we contact them.

The initial set up is complicated.

The price for the device and software is high. However, the solution is of good quality and has a lot of features. Licensing is on a yearly basis, it can also be purchased for a couple of years ahead. For example, for a single year or three years. If you purchase a license for a longer period you receive a discount or some type of credit.

What other advice do I have?

We are recommending this solution to help increase the possibilities of securing internal systems of companies against intrusions.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate an eight out of ten.

MC
System ADM at a recreational facilities/services company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, with a quota to monitor and control user access

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our Firewall. FortiGate is a service, and because of that, I don't use it very much. The equipment is for the operator that monitors who is on the internet, nothing more.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our productivity because we can control the people who go on the internet, and we control their access to social networks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is Quota. It allows the user to go where they want to go and to use the internet.

What needs improvement?

The price could be improved. In the next release, I would like to see the interface simplified to be more user-friendly.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our Firewall.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price could be improved.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for approximately six years.

It's a stable solution. It works for us.

This is not an area fully explored. It has been sufficient for what we need.

We have 700 users in our organization who are using this solution. We don't have plans to increase our usage at this time.

We have not needed any technical support for the Fortinet FortiGate service.

The initial set up was not something that I was concerned with.

The price could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool to control users.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate an eight out of ten.

Thameem Ansari
Senior solution architect at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Flexible to use and easy to set up

• "It is very flexible to use."
  • "It is stable, but its stability can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The typical next-generation firewall use case is to restrict access to the users by using a firewall.

What is most valuable?

It is very flexible to use.

What needs improvement?

It is stable, but its stability can be improved.

I have been using this solution for maybe four or five years.

Its stability is just okay. It should be better.

The scalability of the device is limited.

Technical support is okay. They could be more knowledgeable and faster.

I was using Sophos. We switched because it was very unstable in terms of both software and hardware. I found a lot of vulnerabilities. Even though they provide a lot of features for a minimum cost, these features don't do what they are supposed to do.

The initial setup was easy. The deployment duration depends on the situation. I have done the installation in one to three days.

I installed it myself. You just need one technical guy to maintain and manage the firewall. It is a small product for 200 to 500 users.

It has a competitive price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We plan to continue using it. Even though it has a few stability issues, its price is competitive.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate an eight out of ten.

MR
Junior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable and straightforward to deploy, but technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and FortiGate is one of the security products that we implement for our customers.

What is most valuable?

This is an easy solution to deploy.

What needs improvement?

Technical support needs to be improved.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for almost two years.

Stability-wise, FortiGate is good. We plan to continue working with it in the future.

FortiGate is a scalable product and our customer has approximately 2,000 users.

The customer support is expensive. We have had difficulties with technical support from…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

This is an easy solution to deploy.

What needs improvement?

Technical support needs to be improved.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for almost two years.

FortiGate is a scalable product and our customer has approximately 2,000 users.

The customer support is expensive.

We have had difficulties with technical support from Fortinet.

I also have experience with Cisco, and FortiGate is the cheaper solution.

The installation is straightforward and it took about two months for us to deploy for our last customer.

Some customers have this deployed on-premises, whereas others have a cloud-based deployment. The choice depends on the environment.

We have an in-house team to deploy this product for our customers. We also give them technical support. Relationships with our customers are very important.

The price of FortiGate support is too expensive.

We try to help our customers evaluate and choose the best solution for them. Sometimes, they implement Cisco products.

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet FortiGate is a firewall product that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

MaheshPatel
Sr. Corporate Marketing Executive at Amity Infosoft Pvt. Ltd.
Reseller
Improved our organization through single pane of glass management

• "Anti-Spam web content filterinG."

What is our primary use case?

VPN Over 3 Location Across India and We Get SD-Wan + UTM from Fortinet and Final got Solution SDWAN as well as UTM for Every Location

How has it helped my organization?

• Single pane of glass management
    • Easy GUI for monitors
    • Logical Network Diagram from GUI
    • Physical Network Diagram from GUI

What is most valuable?

FortiGate is really strong in the following:

• UTM
    • IPS
    • Antivirus
    • App control
    • AntiBotnet
    • Anti-Spam
    • Web content filtering
    • IOC (indicator of Compromise)
    • Web Application Firewall
    • Vulnebarity Management
    • FortiView
    • L3 routing

What needs improvement?

Need to Improvement in Reporting

We have been using it for the last nine years.

Stability is fine. I rebooted after 755 Days from the date of installation.

Scalability is Fine.

Partner support is very good.

FortiGuard Service is also good with the push method update.

We were previously using SOPHOS.

Easy by WebGUI and also mobile app.

We have implemented in-house.

Excellent ROI, due to virus spambot intrusion free network.

It's a little bit higher than Cyberoam but the security is More higher compared to the other vendor.

Sophos, Check Point, and SonicWall.

What other advice do I have?

Buy FortiGate for a hassle free network management and excellent ROI.

Vandy Va
    Head Of IT Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Has a good payment function for applications but configuring and management is not easy

• "The payment function for applications is good."
    • "Difficult to add or define, and not that easy to configure and manage."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for a data center firewall. I've been using Fortigate but I'm also currently evaluating Cisco and Check Point. We are customers of Fortinet and I'm in IT infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

I like the payment function for applications.

What needs improvement?

It's difficult to add or define, and it's not that easy to configure and manage. We're looking for something more flexible for the long term. I also find that the performance is limited in comparison to other solutions.

I've been using this solution for three years.

The product is stable.

The solution is scalable but when you do scale, it limits the performance. We have over 1,000 users in our company and four people who deal with the maintenance of all our solutions.

Technical support is acceptable, and they're good in terms of local support and global support. If they cannot resolve the issue they will pass us to another level of support.

I previously had experience with CheckPoint, Cisco, and Palo Alto. I would rate Palo Alto as the best firewall in the world.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward.

This product could be a little cheaper although compared to other similar solutions, it's more reasonably priced.

Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.