Tjeerd Saijoen
CEO at Rufusforyou
Reseller
An easy-to-install solution with weak integration capabilities

• "If you look in the APM sector, it is a very nice package to install."
  • "The flexibility when it comes to integrating with other tools is very low."

What is our primary use case?

Our network and security managers used this solution. They had many problems with it because of the injection.

What is most valuable?

If you look in the APM sector, it is a very nice package to install. It's very easy to install. It's also locked up. You can not do a lot of things yourself.

What needs improvement?

We were planning to use it to assess things from Jira, but after we installed Dynatrace, Jira was not working anymore because of the injections that were put in Jira — we could not integrate with Jira.

The flexibility when it comes to integrating with other tools is very low.

We have not used it for a long time. We had problems with it so we used it for about six months and then we decided to throw it out the door.

It's both scalable and stable. We've never had an issue.

There is room for improvement, support-wise. We have a lot of experience in many different areas — I worked for years in the IT industry. I missed in-depth knowledge of audit tools. They know Dynatrace very well, but when it comes to solving problems, for example, in PeopleSoft, they don't know anything about PeopleSoft — that's what's causing the problem in my opinion. You need to know the tools to able to resolve the problems.

Yes, we had IBM Tivoli in place. We still use Tivoli — they were running at the same time. We wanted to compare the results from both tools.

APM is nice for application performance, but there are a lot more problems you need to resolve. You need a helicopter overview of the total environment. That's what we were missing from Dynatrace.

We stayed with the IBM solution (Netcool) but combined it with Riverbed. Netcool is a new tool that can do everything.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We implemented it ourselves.

The pricing is a concern because the price of Dynatrace depends on how much memory is in a system. Our customers have systems with over 300 84 gigabytes of memory. In addition, you have to pay the head price, too.

What other advice do I have?

If you're not working within real big enterprise environments, then it's a nice tool to implement; however, if you have a huge assignment enterprise, then I think Dynatrace is not suitable and would be expensive.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of six.

JT
Application Performance Analyst at K2 - Labs Development
Helps to improve code efficiency and has quicker performance analysis

• "It helps to improve code efficiency and has quicker performance analysis."
  • "It could be more affordable and therefore, more widely used by including more features like DEM as part of licensing cost rather than an additional expense."

What is our primary use case?

Used to baseline and compare performance regression tests in development and to troubleshoot performance problems experienced by customers using our application in production. We monitor both on-prem and cloud environments during testing in Agile sprints as well as applying the tool in live production environments with permission.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps to improve code efficiency and has quicker performance analysis. It is possible to shift left with performance testing and analysis by implementing Dynatrace as a performance check/gateway in CI/CD pipelines with fully customizable alerts, filters and performance baselining as quality controls.

What is most valuable?

Automatic root cause analysis and automatic performance baseline features remove the manual effort and time to do so. Synthetic monitoring which enables you to monitor user experience from all parts of the globe to your application host. This has been invaluable in pointing out that slow web traffic is related to network problems in certain countries rather than actual web server performance. The ability to take memory dumps from hosts at will is also very handy for analyzing memory dumps during memory leak detection. Diagnostics tools like CPU analysis, Exception analysis, Top database transactions etc. is also very useful. The ability to split different monitored applications into unique Management Zones each with custom dashboards makes for easy tracking over complicated landscapes.

What needs improvement?

It could be more affordable and therefore, more widely used by including more features like DEM as part of licensing cost rather than an additional expense. The DEM is one fantastic tool to monitor traffic hot spots across the globe which enables one to identify user experience trends from all parts of the globe. This is very handy indeed however it comes as an additional feature with additional licensing costs. Would be really welcome if that is included out of the box.

We have been using a combined usage of Dynatrace Appmon and Dynatrace OneAgent for five years.

It's very stable.

Highly scalable.

20 years exerience in application performance testing and analysis.

Easy.

In-house

Our ROI is saving time in profiling and helping customers being successful at using our product.

Make 100% certain you understand the cost and limitations of HUs versus traditional monitoring Agents.

We also evaluated Datadog and Application Insights.

Hybrid Cloud

Learn what your peers think about Dynatrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
OK
Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
OneAgent monitoring, easy to set up, and you get an immediate response to web chat support

• "I like the full-stack agents, the Oneagents, and the futures dynamic."
  • "I would like to see income monitoring for the servers and infrastructure monitoring."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our customers. Our customers are enterprise companies. We have several customers who are in automotive, finance and telecommunications which is the biggest one.

What is most valuable?

I like the full-stack agents, the OneAgent, and the futures dynamic.

It is using a Kubernetes container-base.

It is quite easy for our consultants to set up, even with it taking two or three days for an on-premises installation.

What needs improvement?

Moving from a traditional filo functional APM to an integrated One stack agent is an area that needs improvement. They have simplified the installation process, the integrated monitoring, and the correlations.

The downside is that it is very expensive in terms of the price range.

The full-stack agent only covers the infrastructure monitoring, but the fields do not cover network monitoring. Once they have network monitoring, with full-stack capabilities, it will be complete.

I have been working closely with this solution for approximately a year.

Technical support is good. They provide a webchat that responds almost immediately.

In terms of ticketing, with a formal inquiry, they do not have any severities for immediate support, even though it is promised by them to respond within four hours.

With their web chat support, you can ask several questions or inquiries and get information immediately.

We are also working with IBM.

We have several products. We used to have CA APM, we also work with SolarWind APM, eG Innovations APM, and System Center (SCOMs) APM.

That is the product range that we used to work intensively.

We prefer Dynatrace.

The initial setup is quite easy.

We have had several deployments that have been fast and on-premises. After the setup, it can almost be immediately used.

The on-premises version can take up to three days.

It's an Open-Source platform.

The price range is quite high. It's the highest compared to the other top APM products that are available.

They only deliver on a subscription model.

What other advice do I have?

Dynatrace is a good product. Some of the things to be considered in Dynatrace are compatibility, support in terms of new technologies, and there are many features that are good in Dynatrace.

They have a good AI correlation but it still requires humans to interpret the data and follow up with the advice of the root cause analysis.

AS
Associate Director, Application Performance Management Solution Design & Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
OneAgent platform that is scalable, stable, easy to install, and has good support

• "We like the on-premises platform and the horizontal scalability."
  • "They could also, develop an observability platform where you could have the ability to inject events, locks, and traces."

What is our primary use case?

In the six months that we were using Dynatrace, it was a proof of concept.

It's used for full-stack monitoring, automated instrumentation, APM, and byte code injections, as well as infrastructure performance monitoring and the virtualization layer.

What is most valuable?

We really liked the OneAgent technology automated instrumentation. It is impressive, better than the competitors, AppDynamics.

We like the on-premises platform and the horizontal scalability.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, other than the price being reduced, I would like to see some improvements in open telemetry support, the open standards support.

They could also develop an observability platform where you could have the ability to inject events, locks, and traces.

We have been using Dynatrace for six months.

We used the Dynatrace managed service. It was the latest version when we used it.

The stability was fine. We did not encounter any issues. It was working as designed and expected.

It's a scalable solution with a true cluster platform that can be expanded. It works very well.

We have 200 users in our organization who are using it.

We are satisfied with the technical support.

We were using AppDynamics and CA APM in the past.

It was a straightforward installation.

It took two to three days to configure and do the proof of concept.

We had a team of two or three to deploy this solution.

We completed the installation ourselves.

Financially, Dynatrace was a lot more expensive than AppDynamics.

Our business case wouldn't resolve, which is why we decided to renew the licenses with AppDynamics.

Dynatrace should reduce their pricing. It should be cheaper.

We are no longer using Dynatrace because it was too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

If the price were reduced then we would use this solution again.

For those who are interested in using this product, we would recommend it.

Bacha Khoperia
Senior System Administrator at Public Service Development Agency
A stable and scalable solution that is easy to use for application monitoring and easy to set up

• "It is really comfortable and easy to use for application monitoring. We are able to see and go deep into the problem. We didn't have any issues with this product."
  • "Its pricing could be better. Dynatrace has an option to monitor the end users to see what they are doing, but it required a separate license and had an additional cost. It was coming out to be expensive, because of which we didn't use the feature."

What is our primary use case?

We use Dynatrace for monitoring channels like mobile banking and internet banking.

How has it helped my organization?

It is being used in a commercial organization for monitoring two high priority services. If you are changing some PCs or doing some updates, it provides some responses. It has been very useful for us.

What is most valuable?

It is really comfortable and easy to use for application monitoring. We are able to see and go deep into the problem. We didn't have any issues with this product.

What needs improvement?

Its pricing could be better. Dynatrace has an option to monitor the end users to see what they are doing, but it required a separate license and had an additional cost. It was coming out to be expensive, because of which we didn't use the feature.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We are currently using it only for four channels, but we want to add more servers. Next year, we may extend the licensing for eight more servers.

We never had a problem, and we never had to create a case with Dynatrace. The company from which we buy this product also helps us in using it in our organization. We don't have support problems.

The initial setup was really easy. We had the first testing environment in just two days. We tested how the agents work, and it was easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. In Georgia, it is already very popular, and many companies are using it for applications and external channels.

I would rate Dynatrace a nine out of ten.

Samir Aciardi
Cloud Engineer at Clearsale
A perfect solution for monitoring and identifying root causes with excellent support, stability, and scalability

• "Its monitoring and key purpose capabilities are the most valuable. It provides the root cause of problems and helps peers join the war room."
  • "Dashboards and monitoring capabilities can be improved for monitoring applications in Azure. In Azure, it would be cool to be able to monitor network consumption as well as flow communication."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to discover the root cause of any problem. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its monitoring and key purpose capabilities are the most valuable. It provides the root cause of problems and helps peers join the war room.

What needs improvement?

Dashboards and monitoring capabilities can be improved for monitoring applications in Azure. In Azure, it would be cool to be able to monitor network consumption as well as flow communication.

I have been using this solution for three months.

It has excellent stability.

It has excellent scalability. We have more than 2,000 users.

Their technical support is excellent.

We also use other solutions, such as Datadog, Zabbix. Dynatrace is better than other solutions. It is a very powerful technology and has better integration.

The initial setup was very easy for us. The installation and configuration of the application and the dashboard took around 31 hours.

We implemented it on our own. We have five people for its maintenance.

We have a three-year contract. We have 30 licenses for the full stack and 3 licenses for the DEM unit.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. We plan to keep using it.

I would rate Dynatrace a ten out of ten. It is perfect.

Other
Krishnan Swaminathan
Chief Delivery & Wellness Officer at Bahwan CyberTek
Good user monitoring capability and support, and it is reasonably priced but needs to be more user-friendly

• "They have a feature that allows you to monitor the user, and we are able to create a VIP customer."
  • "They could have a better user interface, better automation, better support for cloud-based, and SaaS applications."

What is our primary use case?

We are in IT services. We implement and provide support to our clients.

What is most valuable?

Normally when you are doing application monitoring, you are only trying to look for the high priority applications. The reality is if you are a CIO or have a CEO or another C executive who is trying to use an application, even though it's not a high priority from the perspective of the overall organization, being a VIP user, whatever we are trying to do with the non-critical application also becomes a critical activity.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be more user-friendly.

Nowadays, everybody is going to SaaS or the Cloud.

Historically these products started on-premises, but now obviously they start with a data center.

Dynatrace is evolving but it has a bit of catching up to do.

We have been familiar with Dynatrace for approximately a year. One of our clients is using this solution.

Technical support is fine. We have not had any issues.

We have also worked with AppDynamics.

I think that the price is reasonable.

As IT service providers, we are always looking to explore other solutions that may be suitable for our clients, that might be better than Dynatrace.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dynatrace a seven out of ten.

IM
Managing Director with 51-200 employees
Scalable, with good appliance monitoring and analysis features

• "In my experience, Dynatrace is scalable."
  • "The usability is worse than it used to be."

What is our primary use case?

We use Dynatrace for application monitoring in production and we use it in Huawei testing sites for analyzing the performance.

What needs improvement?

The usability is worse than it used to be. They had a new Source Dynatrace and it didn't go as well as they had expected or hoped for in terms of usability. It would be beneficial to test some other features.

If the installation was improved, that would be helpful.

I have been using Dynatrace for three years.

We are always using the latest version.

There have been some issues with the stability of Dynatrace. It doesn't work in all cases. There are seven different applications being monitored and there was an issue with one of them.

In my experience, Dynatrace is scalable.

We have 100 users in our organization.

I have contacted technical support. Unfortunately, it took quite a while.

The technical support could be faster.

I have only installed the basics. I know that it is easier than it was in the past, but it hasn't been that great.

I completed the installation myself.

We have one dedicated person to deploy and maintain this solution.

It's expensive. It could be cheaper.

I don't have all of the contract details, but I believe that it is a continuous license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it to large enterprise companies. It may be too expensive for smaller businesses.

I would rate Dynatrace a nine out of ten.

Download our free Dynatrace Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.