VO
Technical Lead-Infrastructure Operations at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Autopilot is a great bonus as is the real-time feature

• "Remote Wipe and Autopilot is one of the best features."
  • "Lacking ability to leverage more iOS device management internally."

What is our primary use case?

The use case for this solution varies depending on the user's requirement. Some are only interested in MDM, while others are interested in managing Windows plus Mac. It really depends. We are partners and provide on-prem, cloud and hybrid services to our customers. I'm tech lead infrastructure operations.

What is most valuable?

Lately I've been working on the Remote Wipe and Autopilot. Autopilot is one of the best features because we can use it during remote migration. It especially helps in this pandemic situation where we don't need any end-user computing engineer support. If someone wants to remix a machine, we can initiate it remotely.

What needs improvement?

An improvement would be if we were able to leverage more iOS device management internally. My goal is to manage all the tools in one centralized tool. Intune does 30 percent of Mac management, but if it could have complete management including patching and automating for Mac devices, that would be good.

I've been using this solution for three years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

I have been trying to contact technical support but haven't been able to reach anyone. I have a couple of questions to which I haven't been able to get any answers.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The cost is fair but it would be helpful if they would segregate the licenses. There are a lot of features that many of our customers don't need but have to pay for because it comes as a bundle package and we're unable to exclude anything that is not necessary.

I also work with Jamf Pro but you can't compare the two because Jamf Pro doesn't have real-time features and it doesn't do most of the things that Intune does.

What other advice do I have?

If a customer is looking for a macOS solution, I would for sure recommend Jamf Pro. If it is for Windows and macOS in a combined environment, then I would recommend Intune for managing it. The consideration is based on the customer's macOS family, based on how many users they have. If they have 100 users, then we can still manage it through Intune. If it's a complex environment, for sure we'd need Jamf Pro.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

TS
Network Manager, Enterprise at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Good for compliance and setting policies, but needs to be simplified

• "Compliance and the policies that can be set are the most valuable features."
  • "It should be simplified. I've worked with many different mobile device management solutions, and Intune is one of the more complex ones. It could be more simplified, and some of it is related to the wording that is being used, such as a configuration profile versus a policy. They really should have had different names to make it less confusing."

What is most valuable?

Compliance and the policies that can be set are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

It should be simplified. I've worked with many different mobile device management solutions, and Intune is one of the more complex ones. It could be more simplified, and some of it is related to the wording that is being used, such as a configuration profile versus a policy. They really should have had different names to make it less confusing.

I haven't really seen any negative on that yet.

Tech support is pretty decent for Microsoft. A colleague of mine had previously talked to them about Intune. As a partner, we also get counseling time with them. We get advisory services with them where we can speak back and forth with them on projects. We can ask them how would we implement it and what are the pros and cons. Sometimes, they came up with things that we weren't even thinking about or they confirmed what we were finding. I was on a call earlier this week, but it wasn't specific to Intune in this case. We found out something was not possible, and they confirmed it for us, which actually saved us hours of additional research. As far as I know, the advisory is only for partners.

What other advice do I have?

One of the pieces of advice is to become very familiar with the cloud environment. In general, always think in the big picture, not just in the isolated issue or item that you want to accomplish. That's because Intune or Azure, in general, is just so over-encompassing. You really have to think about the big picture and not just about the simple project that you're trying to focus on. Otherwise, it will come back to bite you if you didn't plan it right.

There are some MDMs out there that are simpler and easier, perhaps even better to use. It also depends on the application. It depends on if you've got all Windows devices, all Apple devices, or all Android devices. It also depends on if you have a combination. If you've got all Apple devices, there are a couple of products out there that are probably the best MDM, but they won't help you at all with Windows or Android because they're not designed for that. Intune is trying to be all-inclusive to everything. In some ways, that's an Achilles heel too.

I would rate Intune a seven out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ArturDrozd
Cloud & Security Technology at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Cost-effective and easy to use, but the configuration should be simplified

• "The most valuable feature for us is the security, including risk analysis and patch management."
  • "The configuration could be better by consolidating options and making it simpler."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Intune to manage both mobile devices and PC devices. I deploy applications and manage the security landscape.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the security, including risk analysis and patch management. The management is very important for us.

What needs improvement?

The configuration could be better by consolidating options and making it simpler. I would like to have one option in one place that corresponds to one feature, which I can check off and move onto the next one. As it is now, there are a lot of options. For example, when configuring security, I find that it is too much because you have to configure one task in one place, then switch and it is against in another place, and so forth.

In the future, I would like to see support for security and compliance management. I would also like to see iOS management options.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for five years.

This is a stable product.

Being a cloud-based solution, it is very easy to scale.

We have approximately 30,000 users.

I have contacted the Microsoft technical support lots of times. It is okay and I am satisfied with it.

We did not use a different solution for the same purpose before implementing Intune.

The initial setup was simple and it took us about two days to deploy it.

Intune only supports mobile devices in the cloud version. Because a number of my clients have both PCs and mobile devices, I deployed it in a hybrid model.

I am responsible for configuration and deployment, and sometimes maintenance. Our help desk also handles the maintenance.

The price of Intune is often included as part of a bundle with other Microsoft licenses, which makes it somewhat cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Intune is cost-effective and easy to use, so I can recommend it. That said, it is not perfect, so I think that they can improve a lot of things.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Abdul Khaliq
Information Technology Solutions Architect at Injazat
A cloud-based management tool with a useful device management feature

• "It has a useful device management feature."
  • "It would be better if I could integrate it with my core group policy. I would like to have a group policy in my current environment, which has strict control, but those things are still missing. Although it has maximum compliance and security, it's not available on-premise."

What is most valuable?

It has a useful device management feature.

What needs improvement?

I guess they have been working a lot on the current features, but the active directory core features like group policy management are still missing. It would be better if I could integrate it with my core group policy.

I would like to have a group policy in my current environment, which has strict control, but those things are still missing. Although it has maximum compliance and security, it's not available on-premise.

Integration with other products could also be better. If I want to integrate with AirWatch, I have to do a lot of manual stuff and a lot of middleware changes. Technical support could also be better.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for the last three years.

The support is not very good. It's very poor. At least at implementation time, Microsoft should support or should have a team who can support instantly or rapidly. But the process remains the same for the support, and I have to call, and I have to wait for four to eight hours, especially if I'm migrating from AirWatch, Mobility, or some other applications.

AirWatch is a bit complicated, especially during a disaster or when something happens. Their technical support is very poor, and Intune is far better.

The initial setup is easy. We can complete the Intune implementation in one hour, but for the base configuration, we require Microsoft support. Because at the end of the day, it's a cloud product, and we don't have many resources on it.

The price is reasonable, but they should lower it a bit to make it more competitive. It's cheaper than AirWatch and other products, but I still feel like Microsoft can make a base version or with Exchange online or a la carte only Intune version which will be useful. A customer who doesn't want to go full-fledged E3 or E5 can take out or consume an Intune solution only for their purpose, and we want to target that customer.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Intune a nine.

VC
CEO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Effective user system management, highly secure, and reliable

• "By using Microsoft Intune we can control which websites the users can go to and it provides a secure environment for our employees using their laptops that are having access from home. We have installed Intune to control the user's environment minimizing the chances of any hacking."
  • "The installation is very easy. However, to be able to configure it you will need special knowledge, such as training or self-studies to have a proper level of security. There are many settings one has to understand before being able to implement Microsoft Intune."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Intune is a cloud-based solution, but it is installed on local desktops. It is part of Office 365 and because people are working from home it enables us to make the desktops more secure.

What is most valuable?

By using Microsoft Intune we can control which websites the users can go to and it provides a secure environment for our employees using their laptops that are having access from home.  We have installed Intune to control the user's environment minimizing the chances of any hacking.

Microsoft Intune is secure and integrates well with other Microsoft solutions.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for a couple of months.

Microsoft Intune is stable.

The solution is scalable since it is part of Office 365. Additionally, it is very scalable in the sense that you can have millions of users who are using it and check all the alerts that have been sent to the central system online. There you can check if any event of concern has occurred on any desktop on the online portal from Microsoft.

We have approximately 400 users and 500 devices using this solution.

We have not used technical support because we have a lot of employees with technical skills. However, if we do need to use technical support there is Microsoft partner support available.

The installation is very easy. However, to be able to configure it you will need special knowledge, such as training or self-studies to have a proper level of security. There are many settings one has to understand before being able to implement Microsoft Intune.

Microsoft Intune is very simple to install on a local desktop. You can use remote access and install the software. The configuring of the solution is done online on a portal and the policies are pushed to the desktop where Microsoft Intune is installed.

Microsoft Intune is moderately priced. There is a monthly license required to use the solution and it is approximately eight dollars per month.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft Intune an eight out of ten.

Fook Hwa Tan
Chief Quality Officer at Northwave
Is stable, scalable, easy to use, and easy to roll out with low impact on users

• "The central administration con dashboard is very easy to use and provides very good oversight on all that needs to be monitored."
  • "The pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have some security policies pushed to our laptops, and we use Microsoft Intune to mainly monitor if they are up to date. The reason why we use it is to keep the patch levels on par for our end points.

How has it helped my organization?

Now, we have an automated registered inventory of all our laptops, and we know exactly which software needs to be updated.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and easy to roll out with low impact on users.

It is stable and scalable as well.

Also, the central administration con dashboard is very easy to use and provides very good oversight on all that needs to be monitored.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

As for additional features, full integration with Microsoft Office 365 would be great.

We have been using Microsoft Intune for half a year or so.

It is a stable solution.

Microsoft Intune is a scalable solution, and we have about 142 users.

We've still got a few more end points to roll it out on, but our increase will be in functionality. Now, we're only looking at updates, but in principle, we can actually push security policies as well.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy to roll out.

Our own technical staff implemented it, and it took about one month.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise that you educate your staff first before rolling it out. Give them ample education and training on how to implement it and on how it's going to be used.

The biggest lesson I learned from using Microsoft Intune is that the central administration con dashboard is very easy to use and provides very good oversight on all we want to monitor.

I would rate Microsoft Intune at nine on a scale from one to ten because it's so easy to use and easy to rollout with low impact on users.

KittuNarayanan
Associate Director at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can be used to manage devices over the internet while ensuring their security

• "Internet-based access with security is what I have found to be most valuable. It is also a stable and scalable solution."
  • "For an existing customer who has an SCCM, it would need to be upgraded to an MECM first before I can introduce Microsoft Intune."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for proposing solutions to customers and for co-management of the end-user devices, as well as for unified endpoint management. We also use it for mobile device management.

What is most valuable?

Internet-based access with security is what I have found to be most valuable.

It is also a stable and scalable solution. We have not had any issues with technical support as well.

The initial setup is straightforward too.

What needs improvement?

Currently, for a new customer or when a device refresh occurs, I can introduce Microsoft Intune as a unified endpoint management solution. However, for an existing customer who has an SCCM it would need to be upgraded to an MECM first before I can introduce Microsoft Intune.

Microsoft even recommends it as a co-management solution because even if I need to go for UVM as a unified endpoint, I need to rebuild all the missions, which is not practical. So, they need to look into it and provide an easy and flexible moment to UEM.

I've been dealing with Microsoft Intune for at least fours years.

Stability-wise, it is good and stable.

It has very good scalability.

We have had no issues with technical support.

The initial setup is easy. Deployment usually takes around eight weeks of time, including pilot testing. We do requirement gathering, designing, and building, so it takes us a minimum of eight weeks.

What other advice do I have?

From a solution perspective, I always recommend that you go for it. From a scalability aspect and on managing the devices over the internet and ensuring that the security of the devices for customers is always taken into account, we always recommend to Microsoft Intune.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at nine.

NJ
Senior Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Provides functionality for data protection on one's laptop and desktop

• "As the solution is a software as a service, the scalability is unlimited."
  • "It would be great to see on-premises mailboxes and for the solution to have geofencing capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

The solution affords data protection on mobile device management. It also provides functionality for data protection on one's laptop and desktop. But, this requires a different ecosystem for the provision of full data protection. A person can utilize this if he has a cloud proxy and something in his infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

MM and MDM are two useful features that we employ.

What needs improvement?

It would be great to see on-premises mailboxes and for the solution to have geofencing capabilities.

As it is a next generation product, the patching abilities should also be addressed.

We have been using Microsoft Intune for the last three or four years.

As the solution is a software as a service, the scalability is unlimited.

We are satisfied with the partner and community support of Microsoft.

The initial setup can be a bit complex, although this ultimately depends on the requirements of the business. If a proper framework is established then the solution is simpler to deploy.

Moreover, the company culture impacts the complexity of the deployment. There are times when we must provide guides or that user training is required. When deploying in the developer community, in which the participants are tech savvy, the process will be easier. Conversely, when doing so in a non-developer community, this process can take awhile.

The licensing costs we leave up to the customer and these vary from one to another. This is because it depends on whether or not the customer will opt for an open license enterprise agreement.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is solely cloud-based.

We work with medium and enterprise businesses.

I rate Microsoft Intune as an eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: integrator
Download our free Microsoft Intune Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.