Sonia Nijjar
System Engineer II at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
A scalable solution to easily lockdown applications on mobile devices

• "I like how Microsoft Intune lets me lock down the email profile and make it accessible only on certain devices."
  • "I'm still playing around with it and haven't had any issues with the product yet, but support can definitely be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft Intune to manage iPhone devices that we currently deploy to the end-users, and I manage all that. Right now, we're running close to about 60 devices.

But eventually, what we want to do is go ahead and enroll the Windows platform on that as well because there's only one license per user that can deploy up to five devices. That is going to be my next migration roadmap. We're going to be managing laptops through it as well. So it would be Windows 10 platform along with the iPhones.

What is most valuable?

I like how Microsoft Intune lets me lock down the email profile and make it accessible only on certain devices. I also like how one user license allows up to five devices.

What needs improvement?

I'm still playing around with it and haven't had any issues with the product yet, but support can definitely be improved.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for about eight months.

I would say that it's a stable solution.

It's definitely scalable because one single-user license can allow up to five devices to be added. We're going to be rolling some laptops out, and we can definitely work with either an Android or an iPhone. It doesn't matter which device.

It's scalable to that point, and the fact that only one user license will allow up to five devices, I think that's something that we would be looking to do, and we're definitely happy with it.

I've dealt with Microsoft way too many times, and needless to say, I'm not too fond of Microsoft support most of the time. I've always had a better experience with Workspace ONE and VMware, and they're very good with their support. Microsoft support can definitely use a lot of improvement.

With Apple Business Management, we can pre-deploy everything, and we can manage everything on the phones with the lockdown. With Workspace ONE, I couldn't lock down the email profile and make it accessible only on certain devices.

Especially with Office 365, this became the biggest issue because we couldn't lock down the profiles per device space. When I worked with VMware, I worked with Microsoft Office for a couple of weeks continuously to figure out a solution and couldn't find one.

That's when we decided to go with Microsoft Intune management because we could lock it down to just those devices. Otherwise, it was locked, and our tenant is a government tenant, and we don't allow any external access to our tenant.

That was the issue I was having with Workspace ONE. Workspace One couldn't integrate Office 365 applications the way I wanted it to.

The initial setup was straightforward. I actually prefer Microsoft Intune over VMware Workplace ONE because it's a bit more complicated. The setup was also easy because I've worked with Intune before.

It's not a server license. It's an end-user license. Because it's an end-user subscription and it's on a monthly basis, and because we're a government tenant and have a lot more scalability and users, we use it monthly.

We work with the subscription rather than a server license. I think it's economical this way because we don't have to have a server license for that, and I think that works in our favor.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely say that you need to work with Apple Business Manager first. If you don't set up that account first, you will run into some issues, especially if you're doing a managed profiles on it.

Just make sure you do your homework before you get started because there are a lot of prerequisites. If you miss them and you don't do it, then you run into issues, and then you're literally recreating the same work you've already done.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Intune an eight.

Ahmad Zuhdi
Presales System Engineer at PT. Mastersystem
A cloud-based mobile device management solution with a good conditional access feature

• "I like that we can implement conditional access."
  • "It would be better if they can reduce the cost of the license."

What is our primary use case?

I work for Mastersystem Infotama who is a Microsoft partner. I am an engineer, and I deploy Microsoft Intune in several companies. Our customers use Intune for their mobile device management. We also use Intune to protect devices accessing the application's corporate data. First, you must be compliant with the same criteria. If users connect with the corporate IP address, they only connect with username and password. But if they connect from a coffee shop IP address or IP addresses that aren't corporate, they will have to engage in multi-factor authentication.

What is most valuable?

I like that we can implement conditional access. Microsoft has conditional access for mobile device management, and we can categorize it as a corporate application or a personal application. We can protect it so users cannot copy from the corporate application to the personal application, but users can copy from the personal application to the corporate application.

We can also make one file with different permission for different people. The name of the feature is Microsoft Azure Information Protection. We can configure it to help the user work from home. They can download the file, and they can operate this file in another place, but the corporate organization still protects it.

We can also protect user access from a mobile phone. They cannot save the file to internal storage for the mobile phone. They only can save the file to OneDrive or SharePoint drive.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if Microsoft can reduce the cost of the license. as we know the Intune device subscription is licensed per device at a cost of $2 a month. but for the best to enhanced security and feature we must added add-on license or buy/upgrade to bundling license such as M365E5.

Microsoft Intune is a core product, and it's very stable

Scalability is good. It can adopt Android and iOS and manage macOS. We couldn't support macOS two years ago, but now we can.

Technical support is good. We get help from Microsoft support. For Microsoft Intune, if we buy the license, we can get support for free. We can create tickets for the problems. We can also report the problem in the Microsoft portal.

Microsoft Intune is essentially software as a service for mobile device management. To configure Microsoft Intune, we only have to register the domain name and register the DNS. We can log in to enroll the device with Microsoft Intune. After we register the DNS and the domain name, we configure the policies. All policies like user access and permissions. After that, the admin can send the license to every user.

The configuration takes one to five days. But it takes a long time to educate the users on how they can use it. This is because some things change after we implement Intune. Users may complain that they can't do what they did before, but it's better from a security perspective.

Microsoft will maintain it. The customer only maintains the policy and the license.

The price could be better. Microsoft Intune pricing is based on the number of users. Every user license is for 15 devices. consists of 5 devices for PC (Windows or Mac), 5 tablets, and 5 mobile phones (Android and iOS).

My customers already know and use Microsoft, so they adopted Intune. They use Office 365 for secure collaboration between organizations. Microsoft is the preferred choice and has user confidence to work together securely.

MobileIron has two types of licenses. One is a SaaS-based model, and they provide support, and the other is a license for the on-premise solution. Microsoft Intune offers only a cloud solution.

What other advice do I have?

If a customer already uses a Microsoft solution like Microsoft Office, or an email solution like Microsoft Exchange, it's better to use Microsoft Intune. But if they want an on-premise solution, they can choose another solution like  Mobile Iron or Airwatch solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Intune a nine.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TP
IT Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, highly scalable and reliable

• "The solution is easy to use."
  • "The solution could improve its flexibility."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Intune for match management for the more than 1,000 computers we have in our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using Microsoft Intune we were having trouble when people were not coming to the office and they were working from remote locations. We did not have any control over their devices. Since the introduction of Microsoft Intune, we have had the problem completely taken care of.

Right after we started using Microsoft Intune we were stuck with this pandemic of COVID-19, and 100% of the users were working from home. It was a good thing we started using it at that time, we were able to do the patch management even though 100% of the workforce were sitting at home.

We have a lot of on-premise server policies which we were struggling with because users get authenticated on the company network, but some elements would not take effect. However, with the implementation of Microsoft Intune, we do not have that problem anymore because the user only needs to be connected to the internet. They will get all the policies that we configure on a global scale.

These are the main areas that have changed the way we do administration tasks on the devices. Additionally, we have control over the applications, such as Mobile Application Management (MAM), we can control how the user can share the company data which we did not before. They could previously install a certain email application on their phone and then they could share it with anyone, but now we have the control; we can restrict it and we can even restrict the applications that they can use. We can stop them from sharing things on WhatsApp. We can only apply limits to the Microsoft platforms, such as Teams and Outlook.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve its flexibility.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for one year.

Microsoft Intune is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 1,200 users using the solution and for the operators or managers using the solution, we have approximately 15.

The support is satisfactory.

I have used ManageEngine Desktop Central and SCCM. When comparing SCCM to Microsoft Intune, when we used SCCM we had more control and visibility on what we deployed. There are certain cases where you do not want to deploy something. For example, there are security updates or quality updates that could have bugs or glitches that you see around the world. Another example is, every second Tuesday Microsoft patches will be released and you hear that some of them can have bugs or glitches, we can take them off the list and not proceed with that particular patch. This was possible in SCCM because you can select whatever patch you want before deployment. However, in Microsoft Intune that is not possible because Microsoft releases it across the world as one data piece. You do not have control over whether to select it or not, we have to accept it.

ManageEngine Desktop Central is very similar to SCCM, you can select what updates or patches you want. If you do not want one patch you do not have to select it.

We migrated all the services to Microsoft platform cloud architecture. We went with Intune for the patch management, but we do have ManageEngine Desktop Central, which is capable of doing patch management.

The installation of Microsoft Intune was not difficult, it was smooth. Once it was set up it was up and running, we only had to configure the policies. Integrating was easy with Active Directory.

I did the implementation of the solution myself. We have a team of four to five that do the deployment of the solution.

There is a license needed to use the solution and we are on an annual license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft Intune an eight out of ten.

PK
Technical Lead at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Very stable, very effective in protecting our users' data, but lacks in terms of reporting, analytics, automation, and support

• "I can reach devices or computers over the internet. I don't need to worry about the network connectivity between the offices. I can manage any device. That is the most important part."
  • "The most important thing is reporting. They should improve their reporting. They should give a free hand to users. In SCCM, I can create my own reports. For example, in SCCM, I can create an inventory report for my PC or for all PCs, but in Intune, we don't have an option to create any report. Microsoft claims that Intune is a successor of SCCM, but SCCM is more powerful than Intune. So, they should develop Intune more and make it equivalent to SCCM. Then, their product will be great in the market."

What is our primary use case?

I am an IT support engineer. I take care of all IT projects in my organization. I have implemented Intune and onboarded thousands of devices over Intune. I'm not an end-user. I am supporting our employees with IT policies.

What is most valuable?

I can reach devices or computers over the internet. I don't need to worry about the network connectivity between the offices. I can manage any device. That is the most important part.

The Mobile Application Management (MAM) policy is also valuable. I can control applications, and I can secure applications by using the MAM policy. It is very effective and very helpful in protecting our users' data on mobile devices such as iPhones, Android phones, etc. I can apply policies, and I can protect user data.

I can also deploy the software and applications and do configurations. Windows autopilot is there. It is like self-provisioning on employees' computers. That is also an important part.

What needs improvement?

The most important thing is reporting. They should improve their reporting. They should give a free hand to users. In SCCM, I can create my own reports. For example, in SCCM, I can create an inventory report for my PC or for all PCs, but in Intune, we don't have an option to create any report. Microsoft claims that Intune is a successor of SCCM, but SCCM is more powerful than Intune. So, they should develop Intune more and make it equivalent to SCCM. Then, their product will be great in the market.

If I want to deploy an application, I cannot add multiple schedules. I can add only one schedule, and I need to rely on that. Adding multiple schedules over a period of time is not possible at this time.

I cannot evaluate any setting before deploying anything. In SCCM, we have the Compliance Baseline feature. If I want to check any service or anything else, I can do that, but in Intune, that is not available. There are very few compliance policies. They say whether your device is compliant or not, but if they don't provide enough and better compliance policies, why should I be compliant with those policies? They should give more options for the compliance policies so that we can choose something better, and we can make our devices comply with those policies.

It lacks in terms of analytics. Analytics and all such things are not good, which again comes down to the reporting part. It should be better in terms of analytics and reporting.

It also lacks in terms of automation. If we want to automate some of the things, we need to spend more time on automation. Other tools in the market are giving better automation graphically. So, they can work on that part.

Their support should also be improved. They don't know about their own product.

I have been using this solution for the last six months.

It is very stable. So, whatever features they provide are working great. There are no problems with those features.

My experience with them was very bad. They don't know about their own product. I know better than them by going through their articles and other resources. When I ask them anything, they come up with silly answers. They are making me feel frustrated. I have had a very bad experience with their support.

Its initial setup is very easy. We don't need to deploy any servers anywhere. With just a few clicks, we can set up Intune. We just need to set the MDM authority, and we need to set the automatic enrollment. That's it.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the mobile device management tools are giving the same facility. I don't have experience with VMware Workspace ONE, but I have been reading about it. VMware Workspace ONE also gives similar features in a slightly different way, but the objective of all such tools is the same.

I would rate Microsoft Intune a five out of 10 because they are still developing it.

DavidTaylor
Desktop Systems Architect at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good dashboards, fair pricing, and great support

• "The dashboards, the security, and the customization capabilities work very well for us."
  • "It would be helpful if there was proactive remediation."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for remote workforce systems that are not connected to the VPN, to flexibility deploy software, and operate system upgrades and policies, as well as pushing scripts to the devices. Pretty much just about anything that we can do in Intune, we're going to be doing. If we're not doing it already, we will be doing it.

What is most valuable?

Right now, pushing out software and policies is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The pricing and support are great.

The dashboards, the security, and the customization capabilities work very well for us.

Everything is so tightly integrated with the on-premise solution.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what is missing on the solution, I can't really think of anything right off the top of my head. It's doing everything we need it to do.

It would be helpful if there was proactive remediation.

In terms of some of the reporting, I find that it takes too long for some of the reports to display actual data.

We started in February using Intune on an actual production project. We had used it on a very limited basis as a testing bed several years ago, however, it wasn't a mature product back then.

The stability is great. We haven't had any issues in that regard. We don't have bugs or glitches. It doesn't freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is very good. If you need to expand the solution, you can.

It's a management system, so every single endpoint across the enterprise has Intune connectivity. I would say 100% of our users are basically on it. We're managing all of our internal resources through Intune and the on-premise solution configuration manager. We've got upwards of 8,000 employees currently.

The support has been excellent. We're quite satisfied with the level of service provided.

The initial setup is not complex. It's relatively straightforward.

Deployment was basically a three-day engagement.

We had some assistance from Microsoft. A Microsoft engineer came on-site to assist us over the course of the deployment.

We're not paying for Intune due to the integration with Configuration Manager. If you own Configuration Manager, you own Intune and vice versa. If you own Intune, you own Configuration Manager or the on-premise solution. As far as how much Configuration Manager costs, I'm not exactly sure. We set that up a long time ago and I just do not recall the cost on that.

What other advice do I have?

Our company does not have a business relationship with the vendor. We're simply customers.

We're using the very latest version of the solution. We're using it with Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, and we're running a 2006 build. With Intune, since it's the SaaS model, it's whatever version is available in the cloud.

My advice to other organizations considering the solution would be to be patient. Some of the reporting, for example, takes up to 24 hours before it is actually displayed in the console, depending on a number of endpoints you're trying to manage.

The other recommendation would be is be prepared to switch your way of thinking around deploying policies through Intune. The policies in Intune are similar to GPOs, but there is a difference. There is a very, very distinct difference between those policies and the equivalent of the policy and the configuration as a baseline. They're similar in nature, but they're very different. You have to kind-of switch your method of thinking.

I would say I'm very, very pleased with the solution. Even with the delayed reporting, I would give it probably a solid nine out of ten.

Ayesha Imtiaz
Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good protection policies, documentation, and scalability, but needs more group policies and better reporting, stability, and support

• "Its protection policies are most valuable. It protects mobile devices as well as individual apps. It is pretty scalable, and its documentation is also pretty good. It is also pretty straightforward to deploy."
  • "They need to add more group policies. Intune currently does not have many group policies that you can deploy. Its reporting, which is very limited at the moment, also needs improvement. It will be great if they can add report customization. Its stability needs to be improved. Sometimes, when you register a device in Intune, it doesn't show up instantly on the engine portal on the admin side. They need to provide better support for complicated issues. They also have a long turnaround time."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for mobile device management. We use it for mobile phones and even PCs. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its protection policies are most valuable. It protects mobile devices as well as individual apps.

It is pretty scalable, and its documentation is also pretty good. It is also pretty straightforward to deploy.

What needs improvement?

They need to add more group policies. I know that they are already working on it, but this is something that I would like them to do quicker. Intune currently does not have many group policies that you can deploy. It is quite limited in terms of group policies. For example, if I want to disable the password manager on my browser, I can get support in Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Edge, but not with Firefox. It would be ideal if they can add some of these things.

Its reporting, which is very limited at the moment, also needs improvement. I can see basic information, such as how many devices are enrolled, but I can't get customized information. It will be great if they can add report customization.

Its stability needs to be improved. Sometimes, when you register a device in Intune, it doesn't show up instantly on the engine portal on the admin side. There are sync issues between the admin side and the user side.

They need to provide better support for complicated issues. They also have a long turnaround time for resolution in regards to overall escalation.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It needs improvement in terms of stability. Sometimes, when you register a device in Intune, it doesn't show up instantly on the engine portal on the admin side. There are sync issues between the admin side and the user side. It is not very stable. Sometimes, it works instantly, and sometimes, something goes wrong, and you get stuck there. It is not consistent.

It is pretty scalable because you can also integrate on-premises stuff. You can also integrate it with SCCM.

When I contact technical support, I normally find the junior engineers to be not that good. They're just good with the basic issues. If there is something complex, you have to escalate the case, but they take a lot of time to escalate it. After the escalation, they are able to fix the issue, but the overall time they take to solve an issue is too much. Sometimes, the solution is very simple, but the process of escalation takes too long.

I find it pretty straightforward, which could be because I have been working on this solution for three years. It mostly involves clicking the Next button. It will also depend on your requirements and policies, but it is generally straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft documentation is a very good place to start. They have done a great job for beginners who want to deploy Intune in their organization. They have done a good job in describing different scenarios in the documentation. I would advise starting with the documentation and doing some certification as well.

I would rate Microsoft Intune a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
MichelTimp
CHTO at Timp-iT
Keeps integrity of standard deployments, scalable, and straightforward installation

• "The most valuable features are the ones that make sure that the deployment is of a standard operating system and the Zero Touch deployment, which is very useful. This allows users to have an out of box experience."
  • "There is improvement needed in integrating with the installed Office solutions versions, such as Office 2019. The Office 365 integrates without a problem."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for the deployment of the Windows 10 laptops and devices, and mobile device management of Android and iOS devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ones that make sure that the deployment is of a standard operating system and the Zero Touch deployment, which is very useful. This allows users to have an out of box experience.

What needs improvement?

There is improvement needed in integrating with the installed Office solutions versions, such as Office 2019. The Office 365 integrates fine.

While using the solution, you have to test and validate a lot. This is not really a solution issue but more of a configuration issue but still worthy of noting.

We have experienced an issue while deploying a Windows 10 machine, once you get the user profile applications installed, it does not always integrate well with third-party multi-factor authentication solutions. This is something that can be improved in the future.

I have been using the solution for the last year.

The solution is reliable. However, it depends on the stability of your network and the internet connectivity.

I have not had the chance to fully test the scalability because, although it is an enterprise solution, the organizations that I am working for tend not to have a large-scale, full-blown deployment at once of all the Windows 10 or mobile devices.

We plan to increase the usage of the solution. We have a number of my customers that are just starting with the solution, one is only doing the Windows 10 devices, the other one is only doing mobile device management. We have some clients that have it installed but it is not being fully used yet.

The installation was straightforward.

There is a license needed for this solution and it is either included in one of the enterprise license agreements. Microsoft licensing is a mathematical institute, it could be quite complex. We tend to ask specialized organizations to research what the most profitable way it would be for us to use licenses in the organizations.

We did evaluate other solutions before we selected this one.

What other advice do I have?

Those who want to implement this solution have to ask themselves a few questions.
How do you introduce an additional security layer within my organization? If it is concerning the devices that you are using? Think big, act small, start with the smaller issues that you are having and make sure that the bigger picture stays within reach. Start with either mobile device management, or either Windows 10 deployment on laptops and PCs.

Make sure that you also have security governance because otherwise, you can introduce millions and millions of features and options but it still has to be a good user experience for the people that have to use these devices. If you fully block and fully restrict the devices, then it will not be a good user experience for the people that are actually in the field. There are actions that have to be done due to security and also by means of user experience optimization and security.

I rate Microsoft Intune an eight out of ten.

AO
Group IT Executive at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Hopes of using this product as a remote access solution are stalled because of roll out issues

• "If the product works, remote access will be a benefit. To this point we have not had reason to have confidence in achieving that access."
  • "The difficulty of the the roll out is surprisingly difficult considering this product is supposed to be an integrated part of the 365 suite."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we are rolling the product out because we want to be able to have remote access and control over our desktops and laptops from external locations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the product when it is in production is the basic thing it was made to do. We want to be able to allow access to various applications remotely which we can not otherwise do with remote workers.

What needs improvement?

This type of question may be premature because we have just started rolling it out now. We have not had a chance to work with it to capacity at this stage. I think, so far the implementation is all a bit shaky and should be better planned and better supported. The deployment seems to not be as simple as what I would have hoped that it would be considering it is a Microsoft product.

When it is fully rolled out, we will see where the other shortcomings actually are. However, this difficulty in rolling the product out is a significant stumbling block.

We just started testing the product several months ago. The technical team is working toward trying to roll it out to production in about the month. As that is the case, we are not really using it yet in production. We have got only about half-a-dozen of the 4,000 projected users working with it currently.

Again we have not really tested and deployed the product broadly across the company at this stage. But it is exactly because we have not seen the kind of stability and performance we were expecting that we have not completed the roll out.

If we can not seem to get even half a dozen users working with the product in a way we consider stable, the scalability is in question. It should not be.

As far as the set up, we only have the first half-a-dozen technical people on the product just to do a pilot. We have had issues with it. This is the reason we have not even deployed it for the users' space yet to deploy to a larger test group. I would expect the deployment would be a bit easier. That could eventually be a changing factor in what we do moving forward.

I have rolled our company onto a 365 E5 licensing scheme. We are not on E3 anymore so we do not need to. With an E3 license, you would have to consider licensing the product.

We did not really look at any other competition. We are a Microsoft 365 E5 customer and the product promises the capabilities that we need and is available without additional cost. It just made sense to try to use this part of the suite.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate Microsoft Intune as about a six. I am not totally impressed with the complexity of the rollout.

Download our free Microsoft Intune Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.