Microsoft Intune OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Intune is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. It is most often compared to VMware Workspace ONE: Microsoft Intune vs VMware Workspace ONE

What is Microsoft Intune?

Intune is a cloud-based service in the enterprise mobility management (EMM) space that helps enable your workforce to be productive while keeping your corporate data protected. With Intune, you can:

• Manage the mobile devices your workforce uses to access company data.
  • Manage the mobile apps your workforce uses.
  • Protect your company information by helping to control the way your workforce accesses and shares it.
  • Ensure devices and apps are compliant with company security requirements.

Microsoft Intune is also known as Intune, MS Intune.

Microsoft Intune Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Intune Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Microsoft Intune Customers

Mitchells and Buzzers, Callaway

Microsoft Intune Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Intune pricing:
  • "The pricing for Microsoft Intune is reasonable. Our clients are satisfied."
  • "Licensing depends on how you are providing support to your enterprise, whether it's device-based or user-based."
  • "The price of Intune is included with the license for Office 365, so we don't have to pay anything extra for it."
  • "They have categorized the licenses according to the size of the business. So, if it's a smaller organization, we can choose the license accordingly. If it's a big organization, then we can choose accordingly. Everything is clearly mentioned, and we can decide. It's suitable for all kinds of infrastructure, and that's very goo"
  • "We work with the subscription rather than a server license. I think it's economical this way because we don't have to have a server license for that, and I think that works in our favor."

Microsoft Intune Reviews

SK
Associate Architect-Information Security at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Unified endpoint management that has the flexibility of stand-alone components

• "This product offers an alternative solution to other UEM (Unified Endpoint Management) solutions."
  • "Maturity makes it a stable product."
  • "The reporting needs to be a bit more interactive."

What is our primary use case?

We are VMware and Microsoft partners, so we offer services around their products.

We are using Intune internally but we are leveraging it for our customers as well. That is a different story. One part of Intune is within our company, but we are also providing services around Intune and Workspace One for our customers.

For us, Intune is on the public cloud. For our clients, it depends on the requirements and it varies from customer to customer. Some clients' requirements are deployed in private cloud mode or the hybrid setup. It depends. Requirements differ from industry to industry. If a company is BFSI (Banking, Financial Services, and Insurance), then they will be looking for a private cloud solution. If it is something which is not BFSI or maybe some industrial interest, they might go with the public cloud.

In the end, most of our instances are in the public cloud unless there is some compliance requirement. Otherwise, the accounts are mostly in the public cloud to conform to regulations.

Intune is used essentially to facilitate the ability of enterprise organizations to manage their endpoints. It is for end-user computing or UEM (Unified Endpoint Management) solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the major advantages of using Intune is for our ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certification. We have to meet requirements for ISO 27001 and 27002 and part of that is that we need to have a proper control mechanism for endpoints and the users who are using those endpoints. The other requirement is that we need to manage the workforce. We have to manage their time to understand how long they have been working, how long their device was on, when they were working, et cetera. So we use some other products that compliment Intune to gather the data on that.

For example, we have something called Time Doctor. We use it to monitor how long people have been working. We get reports that detail how long their devices have been on. Then there are different ways we can leverage these results and statistics. For example, we can compare the uptime of the device and uptime of Time Doctor. With that, we can understand how long an employee was working on something, but how much more time the machine was up in addition to the work period. That shows the period of time that he or she was not using Time Doctor.

The other thing is we can remotely access a device. For example, say we have to do some troubleshooting because a user is having an issue. We can remotely log in via Intune to troubleshoot the issue, as long as the device is accessible. Obviously, that can only happen if there is no issue with the internet and connectivity and services. But we can remotely access the device and troubleshoot the issue securely.

Those are some of the different use cases.

What is most valuable?

I guess in our company we are using most of the features in Intune. What we use it for is to control the endpoints. We publish some selected applications and the end-users are only able to download and install those applications. They are not allowed to install or use any other applications other than what we provide. We do compliance checking. We run assessments periodically on the endpoints using Intune, and Intune generates reports. Sometimes we need those reports to qualify for our ISO certifications.

It is a similar thing for customers as well. There is a different requirement but it is a similar idea. For example, if we are engaged with an oil and gas company, they have back-office stations and point-of-sale solutions. In this case, those are Windows systems. What they used to do is they had to manage those solutions manually. They had a contract with some third party. The third-party would go on the sites if there was an issue or something, and maintenance and delivery were all manual. They did not have any EMS (Endpoint Management Solution) at all. The only thing they had was something called a radiant configuration management server. That was only used for configuration purposes, not for maintenance or other troubleshooting.

The concern and the requirement over delivery was raised because of COVID. No one was able to go to the sites to do the troubleshooting, maintenance, and delivery. The only solution that they had was to engage with us to deploy these solutions on their endpoints. They did not all go with Intune, some went with Workspace One, which is also a UEM solution. So they wanted us to deploy UEM on AWS public cloud, then connect it, wire their MPLS (Multi-Protocol Label Switching) network to the end-point spots and box devices in order to manage them.

What needs improvement?

The generic answer to what can be improved is that I hope that the reporting needs to be a bit more interactive.

In our company, we have been using Intune for the past three years.

I think Intune has been in the market for a long time now. That maturity makes it pretty much stable because it has been through so many iterations.

Until now, we did not have any concern with respect to scalability within whatever we have done either for our organization or for our clients. We have done installations for bigger companies, for smaller workforces within bigger companies, but not for the larger endpoints. We do not know how well it scales in every direction and if scaling will cause any problems. We have not come across those things.

In our organization, we probably have 250 to 300 people who are using the product. We will probably increase that usage in the future, but it depends. We were planning to introduce Microsoft ATP with Intune for advanced threat protection, which compliments the security part. Because Intune does not have advanced threat protection capabilities on its own this resolves that issue. There may be other considerations in the future that influence the importance of Intune to what we need it for and how we proceed.

We are Microsoft partners and we have a different support model with Microsoft than a typical client will. We have not had any issues with our support team and they have worked well with us up to this point. We have a different channel than the partners who need to communicate with Microsoft another way.

It is a tricky thing to answer exactly what I have used that either was prior to or a substitution for Intune. That depends on different things and factors. First of all, Workspace One is definitely highly scalable, that I know. Workspace One also has a lot of integration options wherein we can have a lot of peripheral tools. Workspace One actually started with only UEM, but it is now not limited to UEM only.

Intune, is only a UEM. So Workspace One has one integration as UEM, but it has many other things. Apart from that, it has Workspace One Intelligence, it has Workspace One Assist, et cetera. There are four different parts that can be integrated with Workspace One and they can work together for a highly scalable, highly secure, and highly analytical solution.

Microsoft also has solutions. It is just that they are different solutions implemented in a different way. For example, ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) Microsoft is for advanced threat protection. WAD is for virtual desktops. They do not have the same type of tight integrations as Workspace One. All of these Microsoft products work separately. In Workspace One, all the products compliment each other and all the products can be combined more like modules under Workspace One. They can push their findings to Workspace One Intelligence where all data intelligence can be done. Auto remediation can be done. We can get findings from VMware because now Workspace One security is there to make sure that this is secure under the umbrella. VMware Carbon Black is also the same in that it can send its findings to Workspace One Intelligence. So the integration is the part that is handled differently. Workspace One has many features. Microsoft also has those features. It is just that it is a different way to orchestrate. In Microsoft, it is not under one umbrella. In VMware, that is under one umbrella, which is Workspace One.

The pros and cons are different because both approaches have their own advantages and disadvantages. Both have solutions for each of the functions. For example, each has advanced threat protection and all those capabilities. If you stay working with that family of solutions, you do not have a problem.

Now say, for example, a company went with Workspace One because they wanted to leverage UEM. They adopted some other modules as well with it to create solutions for problems or needs that they want to solve. They have to have Workspace One for this solution and they can not work with it separately. That might be a cost factor because they can not work with one tool only, they have to make the license for two products because they do not work separately.

For Microsoft, since the products are completely separate, customers can choose which one to go with and only use that. They can go with only one product, or they can add any of the others. They do not need to have the central component to bring them together.

So that might be an advantage or disadvantage in using one product or the other depending on the use case.

We did not experience any complexity in the initial deployment and there was no problem with the installation, I do not think. The complexity definitely depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I do not remember exactly because I do not directly deal with deployment anymore. I am actually leading it. We have a team that deploys the product. I do not look over their shoulder to know how much time it takes exactly and what factors it requires for successful deployment.

We did the deployment by ourselves without the help of consultants or vendors, that I know. We are system integrators. We have the capabilities to do things for customers. We did it ourselves. The only thing is, we have a separate team for the Microsoft product installations. Especially for something like Microsoft Intune, we need to have a special expertise. Something called Microsoft Windows, virtual desktops, all of that needs someone to install it who is intimate with the application. Microsoft Azure is something that can be used for different Microsoft technologies and solutions. We have a different team that we will put on the implementation of these products depending on the requirements.

The pricing for Microsoft Intune is reasonable. Our clients are satisfied.

What other advice do I have?

If someone is looking to have a more integrated result, they are looking for many other things like EDR (Enhanced Data Detection and Response). It is probably better to go with Workspace One because they have that under one banner. Obviously, if there is something under one banner, the integrations are simple, they are seamless, and they complement each other.

I do not think I will have a good answer for what advice to give because technically I have not used Intune myself for some time now. I have a team that works under me for this. I am at an architect-level position now. My perspective reflects that.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Intune as an eight at least if you are only talking about a UEM solution. Personally, I am not very concerned about the reporting part, so I will consider it at eight. But if someone is looking for extensive reporting detail that is easy to understand. Interactive reporting that will give them better-tuned results, then obviously the rating might go down.

The only thing which I see that can be done to raise this product from an eight is to package Intune as a product under one umbrella. If that were to happen, it covers the whole of end-user computing and security solutions.

At the moment, these are two separate things when using Intune. There may be another way to accomplish this under the one umbrella if you go with Intune. For example, if there is an add-on within Intune to leverage containerized security, auto containment, and all those things. This would be a more flexible solution if that were the case. At the moment, Intune is not required to be installed as a client. As a client in the system, it can communicate with servers and do some auto containments, endpoint detection, and response. If there was a separate solution that could be added as a paid solution to create the umbrella, you have created both solutions simultaneously.

The main reason this problem came into the picture was because of this COVID pandemic. IT teams and security teams do not go well together normally. There has to be one solution which can offer both. It can be for both IT architects, IT technical support, and security support. That is the solution that can be leveraged for both security and end-user computing. It is simple.

Amit Srivastava
Architect Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Works great with Windows but could be improved from a mobile infrastructure point of view

• "For Windows services, there are multiple options within Intune to modernize it to be more internet-facing and dynamic."
  • "Regarding mobile devices, Intune is good, but there are other services that I would say are ahead of Intune from an administration and reporting point of view."

How has it helped my organization?

This solution is on the cloud. What is required currently by our organization is an internet-facing device. The challenges with on-premise have a lot to do with this pandemic. This is why we've seen Intune with the MDM background grow so fast — because we don't have any on-prem limitations. On the cloud, you can manage everything. You can push policies, maintain patches, and maintain security because everything interacts on the cloud. A VPN is not required. In the legacy method, you need to use a VPN for anything and everything. This increases costs.

What is most valuable?

For Windows services, there are multiple options within Intune to modernize it to be more internet-facing and dynamic. Intune also provides us with a lot of flexibility to manage Windows-specific devices.

Mobile-wise, I like the MAM feature. It provides us with more control over the application identity levels. When combined with Azure, it provides us with multiple opportunities to design and construct a solution that meets a BYOD or CYOD model.

What needs improvement?

Regarding mobile devices, Intune is good, but there are other services that I would say are ahead of Intune from an administration and reporting point of view. These are a few things that could be improved from a mobile infrastructure point of view.

From a reporting point of view, it could use some work. If I need to push a profile, it's a challenge with Intune because first I have to go ahead, remove a user, then add him back; only then does it allow me to push or sync. If it synchronizes, it exits on a cloud-based synchronization time. With AirWatch, there is a function where you can push a profile directly on a device.

Overall, Intune has improved from MDM. They have become EMM and now they're moving towards Unified Endpoint Manager. They're just beginning to compete in the market from a mobile point of view, but regarding Windows, they're great.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for more than five years.

I'd say it's 99% stable. Azure being in the background has impacted it a bit, but overall, it's stable.

Currently, Intune is on track to exceed SCCM. In the near future, most companies will be using Intune. Currently, roughly 25% to 30% of companies use Intune. The rest of them, 40% to 50%, are still using SCCM and trying to evolve old solutions — this will change. This whole management model will completely change into a hybrid Intune model or a complete Intune model.

The vendor ships the machine directly to you. All you need to do is connect it to the internet. It takes around 30 minutes or 40 minutes depending on the configuration. After that, you're ready to go. Post setup, if you need anything, you can simply go to the built-in Intune company portal and shop from there. This saved us a lot of time.

Still, the initial setup was not straightforward. When we initially started with Windows, there were a lot of open items. There were a lot of things which were not there. Obviously, we couldn't just move a company directly from on-prem to cloud. There is complexity, there are some legacy procedures that we had to follow. At that point in time, Intune was not ready, but currently, there are a lot of options that can fulfill your security requirements, your network requirements, your application requirements, user accessibility requirements, and the user experience. All of these things are pretty much in the place now. To start with, it was not this way.

When I started using this solution, it took me roughly one year and three months to understand how to build it, to do due diligence, etc. Now, I can migrate an organization within 13 days.

Implementation is a complete team effort. You have to understand a company from a network point of view, a security point of view, a compliance point of view, and a GDPR and HR point of view. These things take time to analyze; it's still maturing but it's a little bit better than what we had before. Now, after I have interacted with an organization, I can get it up and running within 15 or 16 days.

I never got a complete picture regarding how much we've saved thanks to this solution. Still, I think it's very significant. We stopped using a lot of services because we didn't need them anymore. We don't need a lot of resources — we don't need to procure them. We don't need a VPN solution, plus, shipping is all taken care of.

I started my journey with AirWatch. It was primarily an MDM solution. According to Gartner, AirWatch and Microsoft are currently neck-and-neck. From an organization requirement point of view, regarding MDM, I'd say AirWatch is a step ahead of Intune.

For the last four years, I've only used Intune. I don't know how AirWatch has improved over the last four years. Still, simple things, like pushing a profile are much easier with AirWatch compared to Intune. From a UI point of view, it's really easy for an admin to go ahead and work using AirWatch. From a deployment point of view, there are multiple options for retaining user data.

What other advice do I have?

As long as it will not primarily be used for banking or security purposes, I would recommend Intune. If you work in a banking environment and are looking for a high-security solution, then I would recommend VMware, AirWatch, or Jamf. As I said, Intune is still developing. Maybe this will change after another year, but currently, regarding banking and security, AirWatch is a step ahead when it comes to mobile infrastructure policy.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Intune a rating of seven.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SM
System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Great patching for Windows, but not for MacOS

• "Application deployment and keeping the devices secure no matter where they are, by having this cloud solution — that has been great."
  • "There needs to be more support for Mac operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Intune for application deployment and for some of their security policies and end-devices policies. We also use it for patching. Patches for Windows 10 devices and MacOs, we're still figuring out what to do because we don't have many options on Intune for Mac operating systems. Patching and looking for OS deployment as well. Operating system deployment.

Within our organization, there are roughly 150 users, using this solution.

We use Microsoft Intune on a daily basis. What Microsoft does, is it releases patches every month. The device hash reports to Microsoft Azure Intune. If you want it to receive patches or policies, which you have created on Intune and you have deployed, then the device will receive the policies and patches only if it's online and connected to the internet. Whenever the device is online and connected to the internet, it's connected to Intune. You don't have to worry about having an additional agent or anything on your devices.

What is most valuable?

Patching for Windows in operating systems is great. Most organizations are going remote now due to this pandemic, so patching is one of the most feasible solutions we can think of — patching end-user devices. Application deployment and keeping the devices secure no matter where they are, by having this cloud solution — that has been great. Deploying the security policies to the devices.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be more support for Mac operating systems. Support for patching, because we have very few, or minimal options from Intune for patching Mac operating system.

In the next release, I would like to see better compatibility for Mac operating systems — that would be really helpful. Also, if the support for Mac was as flexible as it is for Windows, that would be really appreciated.

Personally, I have been using this solution for the past 13 months.

I haven't experienced any issues relating to stability.

We have spoken to the technical support on a few occasions. They have only ever provided us with minimal information.

We used to use a SCCM or System Center Configuration Manager tool; it was also provided by Microsoft, but it's an off-prem tool. You need an on-prem setup and a server operating system and everything. On that server operating system, you can install this tool and start using it. We also used another tool called Automox, which was a patching tool. It's only meant for patching devices, different operating systems, Linux operating system, Windows, Mac operating system; however, it didn't have support for mobile devices.

The initial setup is a very simple process. You don't have to do anything on on-prem. Since it's a solution from Azure, it's a software service. You just have to buy the subscription. You just need to have the license in place and then you can just start using it. There is not much setup involved. If you want to integrate your Azure solution with your on-prem solutions, then you have to do a bit of integration.

If you're going with standalone Intune, you don't have to think of setting up anything. You can just use it, pay for whatever your problems are, find a solution for that, and start using it — that's all. You don't have to worry about the setup for standalone Intune.

All maintenance is handled by the vendor.

Licensing depends on how you are providing support to your enterprise, whether it's device-based or user-based. If you're providing device-based support, you need to buy a device pertaining license. If you're providing support for users, then you have to go with user licenses. If are integrating Intune with FSCM, which is an on-prem tool, then the same scenario comes in either devices or users.

If you are providing support only for devices, like device-based policies, with Intune, there's a type of policy that allows you to deploy to either the devices or users. If you're looking for a solution where only devices can receive it, rather than users, in that case, you need to purchase only one license for Intune — I'm talking about integrating Intune with FSCM. You only need to purchase one license. Since you have already purchased FSCM on-prem, Microsoft has that flexibility; you can extend those licenses with the devices as well when you're integrating the devices with Intune. I don't know about the pricing, but I know about the licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend Microsoft Intune. Currently, I would definitely recommend any cloud solution. Most organizations were actually using on-prem solutions for managing their enterprise devices. Now, since everything is remote, people are confused. How can they manage their devices the same as they were before this pandemic? If they find Intune very pricey, they can go with another cloud solution. Intune it's very user-friendly. You just have a screen and console and you can just go in and start deploying anything. All you need are the user guides, which are fully-available with Intune.

Intune is a very good cloud solution for managing devices. They could actually make it better by putting everything together, in one place, like other MDM solutions are doing. If you compare Intune with VMware, VMware also has an MDM solution called AirWatch. Intune should compare itself with other MDM solutions and try to bring up those features as well. For right now, I would just say it's a very good solution for managing remote devices.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of six.

SM
CEO & Founder at Marco Capital Holdings
Stable with great integration into Microsoft 365 but needs better UI

• "I would say the biggest benefit is the single-pane view. There's no jumping around multiple UI's to do your overall management."
  • "There's quite a lot of development that they can do within their Intune dashboard. I think there are too many lines hyperlinked to move you around. Others, in contrast, give you a simple dashboard and an intuitive administrative walkthrough."

What is our primary use case?

Typically, for customers that tend to come from a transportation logistics background, it's essentially free or the TCO is literally non-existent. It's a good fit for our resume offerings. Anywhere between 50 to 200 users is a typical use case that we see, where they're leveraging the product for low subscription costs.

What is most valuable?

Its overall integration into Microsoft 365 is great.

I would say the biggest benefit is the single-pane view. There's no jumping around multiple UI's to do your overall management. Linkage to a single pane is probably the best benefit.

I'm looking at it in comparison to other EMMs and there are better EMMs out there. It's still for me at an MBM stage, as it's addressing other areas that make up EMM, however, if you put it in comparison to others, for instance, the overall experience is better. We get OL and DM and we get in the mobile threat detection. We get in a lot of other things into that EMM.

What needs improvement?

Intune, in their port description, for me is still pretty infantile. I will say in the next 18 months to two years, they'll start becoming a bit more major, I hope.

It's pretty straightforward to implement as long as you've got a Microsoft subscription. However, it's kind-of convoluted how they explain it and what you are paying for. Obviously, we know that the more money you pay, the more features you get. I think that they can lay it out a little bit better, sometimes it's pretty hard to follow what their offering actually is.

The solution looks too technical. Even though it is a technical feature, it comes across as too technical to navigate through. They can certainly work on the overall dashboad and the layout, to simplify everything.

They can do a lot more with Enterprise Firmware over here to give it full support.

Coming from a Samsung perspective, they need to comprehensively support the Android provisioning methods.

I’ve been using the solution for three years now.

From a stability perspective yes, it's very stable. The SLA that Microsoft gives around their network, the cloud service offering, makes it very stable.

It's highly scalable. Anything that's in the cloud should come with scale, and in this case definitely a highly scalable option.

I'm not sure, in total, how many people are actually on the solution. With Samsung, there's no preferred EMM solution in place. Most of it tends to come down to local/regional preference. Each region's location has its own mobile provider or EMM provider. We don't manage Intune for ourselves or for customers. Therefore, within the business, I would say it's less than 5%. As I say, we have our own solution. Nobody's going to use Intune within Samsung and we have our own EMM. Therefore, I don't forsee us increasing usage.

As we're consultants, we never rely upon a specific Microsoft consultancy to resolve anything and we clear our own testbed issues. We've very rarely been in contact with Microsoft's technical support. We're more engaged with Microsoft from a strategic partner level or in partnership as regards to our EMM offering. We have all the expertise we need in-house.

The solution is cloud-oriented. As long as you have a valid Microsoft Enterprise Subscription, it's all subscription-driven. From an installation or deployment perspective, it's pretty quick and pretty straightforward. It's not complex. As long as you paid for at least a standard enterprise subscription.

Where I am with Samsung, we're pre-sales. This is the customer's OMS. We're engaging with customers that have these environments in place, to then obviously bolt in our Samsung cloud solutions port. Obviously, we become consultancy on our cloud solutions. However, more so you have the engineering aspects of that.

For my area of business, we have a yearly subscription, which provides us with Intune capabilities within our test labs. It is negligible. It's pennies compared to our growth target. It's very affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I'm typically an Azure consultant. Therefore, anything on the Azure platform now obviously includes Intune from an EMM perspective.

We use a multitude of versions. I can't tell the specific numbers. We use many as we have to constantly compare against different customer environments. We have test labs that have multi-versions as well.

Predominantly, our deployment models are on the cloud. There's literally no call for on-premise at all, apart from network connectors.

I would advise users to consider the solution on a use case by use case. I personally work in a Samsung Android environment and there's a lot more feature support in other EMMs. Therefore, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. In the next 18 to 24 months, I hope that severe changes are made as Microsoft establishes itself more.

Overall, I would rate it at a seven out of ten. There's still a lot of room for improvement in how they deliver. Their products and features are pretty good, and they serve the need. They probably just need to work on their explanation and probably the layout and UI quite a bit more.

KG
Engineering Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Helpful autopilot feature saves us time but the reporting needs to be improved

• "The most important thing for me is the autopilot feature."
  • "I would like to see the ability to deploy custom packages as a Windows 64-bit package, as opposed to the Windows 32-bit, which is the only one available now."

What is our primary use case?

Intune is a cloud-based solution for MDM and endpoint management.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing for me is the autopilot feature. Other products have this capability but they have to first integrate with Azure. Because Intune is a Microsoft product, you don't have to do anything explicitly to get this feature working properly.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft really needs to improve the reporting in Intune. It doesn't come anywhere close to VMware Workspace when it comes to their reports. I am sure that Microsoft will improve but at the moment, they are underperforming in terms of reporting.

There is a feature called dynamic groups, which populates users and computers based on a query that is written, and it runs at some interval. I would like to see this updated more frequently so that the users don't have to fair for too long before computers appear in the group.

I would like to see the ability to deploy custom packages as a Windows 64-bit package, as opposed to the Windows 32-bit, which is the only one available now. Although it can run in 64-bit mode, I would like to see this supported natively.

I have been working with Microsoft Intune for about two years. I have changed companies since that time and we are now evaluating Intune for use in my new organization.

Intune is a stable product and it has improved a lot over the past year. This is something that Microsoft is always working on, and I think that it will continue to improve.

We have not had the chance to test scalability. We will have the real results when it is put into the field.

I have not been directly in contact with the support for Intune. Rather, when I have needed assistance, I went through a partner channel.

I set up Intune without any assistance.

We are currently evaluating both Microsoft Intune and VMware Workspace, and we will choose the one that best suits our use cases. Our plan is to implement one of these products in a couple of months.

One of the conditions is that we have to make sure that it supports all of the devices that we have in the enterprise. For example, we have Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices that need support.

Second, we need to have the autopilot experience for the users running under Windows. If somebody joins the company and they are provided with a laptop then we need to have it set up correctly. Normally, when it ships from a vendor such as Dell, Lenovo, or HP, it will come with their software pre-installed. Given the current situation with employees working at home, the laptop ships directly to where they live. At this point, with autopilot, they should be able to log in using their cloud credentials as soon as the device is switched on.

Once logged in, all of the details will be picked up from Azure, including the policies, updates, and other mandatory software such as Skype, Zoom, and Microsoft Office. Essentially, it eliminates all of the laptop setup and configuration that used to happen inside the organization.

Intune supports autopilot natively through Azure, and VMware Workspace is on par with this as well.

Next, it should have good reporting features. All products are able to generate reports, but we should be able to customize them in the way that we want.

We also have to have good security, where we can push all of the security configuration and policies that our organization has. This will differ based on the department. For example, security in banking or finance will be different from the security in manufacturing.

Finally, we should be able to deploy applications all over the cloud.

I think that in comparison, VMware Workspace is a more mature product than those offered by competing vendors. It has been developed very intelligently. The UI is good, with fancy graphics. They also have Smart Groups, and a different way of deploying applications, which are very good features.

VMware Workspace also has a slight advantage over Intune when it comes to managing multiple hierarchies. Intune does not support this type of structure, where you can have sublevels. For example, I can have a root-level like Europe with sublevels such as the UK, Germany, and France.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product depends on your environment, requirements, and use cases. If you have a reporting-extensive company, for example, then you may need to look for other products. Similarly, if you are a multi-hierarchy organization with a presence around the globe, then Intune may disappoint you.

Given all of the factors and things to consider, including features and cost, I would say that Intune has a slight edge over competing products.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Douglas Rodrigues
Senior Information Security Analyst at PicPay
Great for our update needs, operating system version updates, and security policy enforcement

• "Great for software update needs, operating system version updates, and security policy enforcement."
  • "Some enrollment features could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior information security analyst and a customer of Intune.

How has it helped my organization?

Before having Intune, we didn't have the capability to have computers wiped. I couldn't manage the operating system from a central location and wasn't able to deploy policies and verify software updates. It's helped with software update needs, operating system version update needs, and security policy enforcement.

What is most valuable?

The support is excellent for this solution and the configurations are a good feature.

What needs improvement?

There are some enrollment features that could be improved, possibly some other tools that do almost the same job with alternative ways to enroll the device. Intune doesn't have those features. Additionally, I think they could try to invest more on macOS devices making it more manageable, and making the management more accurate. A solution like Jamf, for example, gives you the greatest capability - more capability on management, on policy enforcement, wiping devices, locking devices, and many other things. This is the main reason I'm not using Intune for all the contractors now and the reason we're planning to have Jamf implemented at the beginning of 2021.

If they could improve the support on the macOS devices, it would be great. Then we wouldn't need to buy Jamf. I'm not sure it's possible because of the relationship the enterprise has with Apple, but if they could improve the macOS management, that would be great.

I've been using this solution for about two years.

The solution is very stable, we don't have any problems with the platform itself. We had a problem a few weeks ago with the whole Azure provider system which affected not only Intune, but most Microsoft services. This was the biggest problem I've had with Intune, no problems with the platform or instabilities.

I'm not able to scale because of the issues with macOS management. We really have some needs here that Jamf Pro covers more efficiently than Intune does. We are trying to work it to have Intune on Mac systems, but we need to install something extra to make that work. We were looking for a more transparent tool in order to get this enrollment done by a central console, and not have to install other tools on the computers. Jamf does that, so we essentially don't need to install any kind of tool. You just need to enroll your device using a URL and it's done. Scalability in relation to the entire Windows or Android or iPhone environments can be done without a problem. We have around 2000 computers. In my previous job we had 55,000 PCs, and they were all Windows.

We had four analysts working on implementation and we now have two people dealing with day-to-day maintenance. For now, we won't continue installing Intune on macOS. We'll just keep them on Windows, Android, and iPhone and we'll go through the macOS with Jamf Pro.

With Microsoft, everything is on the community and easily accessible. Jamf Pro also provides a very, very, good support team. They have engineers, and depending on the support you buy or the support agreement you make with them, you can have a personal engineer working with you 24/7. Both tools have very good support teams.

It's really simple to implement Intune. Everything is already deployed on the cloud and you get everything you need. If you have a Windows 10, you can perform this connection from the Windows control panel and it's quite easy. We are now working to get the Android and iOS cell phones enrolled as well. We are on a pilot right now for macOS. Computers running macOS are already in a pilot period. We're just verifying that everything works well. We're also proceeding with the implementation for the macOS computers as well. Deployment took one or two weeks and I did it myself.

In Brazil, we need a partner to get a license. The partner communicates with Microsoft and provides us with the license. We have a monthly contract which is paid annually and we have a three-year contract with Intune.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a complete Windows workstation environment, Intune is fine. But if you have a mixed environment like I do, running Windows and Mac, Jamf Pro is the best tool to manage an Apple environment. The reason we chose Jamf is because it integrates to Intune. In a single panel you can have all the inventory you need, either from Mac computers or Windows computers, because they send the information to the Intune platform. This was the main reason we chose Jamf.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

UA
Solution Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
A cloud-based mobile device management solution with a useful Windows Auto-Enrollment feature

• "I like that it's very good and very simple. I found that we just needed to have a proper subscription for an Intune tenant, and from the subscription, if we have the right role assigned, like the global admin role or the owner role, we can use Microsoft cloud resources. With the help of that, we can do many things like setting up Microsoft Intune in the cloud to create our virtual machines. All these can be done, and the steps are very simple. I really liked it. I like features like Windows Auto-Enrollment. I like it very much because whenever you supply it to the end-user, it will be ready to use immediately. The end-user only needs to provide the user credentials, and then they are good to go. I also really like Cloud PC, which was recently launched on Azure."
  • "The documentation about the custom image setup could be better. Although Microsoft provides the steps to configure Intune or set up or deploy Intune, it doesn't have much information related to custom images. If you ask, "how can we deploy the custom image?" There is no information. The steps they mention ask you to connect to your on-premises environment or create your own image on the cloud itself once there is connectivity. But I needed to go to multiple websites to get all this information. I had to figure out how to upload the custom image if you want to use the on-premise custom image for Cloud PC. If you have the proper subscription, you must have the right access, like global admin or owner. Then you can add your custom image to that. There are no steps mentioned over there. Microsoft Intune doesn't have Chrome browser support. I would like to have that support because they will want it if we pitch the product to clients."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Intune to manage mobile devices or tablets, or Windows devices from anywhere. Intune is the best solution through which we can completely manage mobile devices and Windows devices. There are two options for that. We can manage or directly control the whole mobile device and provide security at the application level—for example, MDM and MAM.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's very good and very simple. I found that we just needed to have a proper subscription for an Intune tenant, and from the subscription, if we have the right role assigned, like the global admin role or the owner role, we can use Microsoft cloud resources. With the help of that, we can do many things like setting up Microsoft Intune in the cloud to create our virtual machines. All these can be done, and the steps are very simple. I really liked it.

I like features like Windows Auto-Enrollment. I like it very much because whenever you supply it to the end-user, it will be ready to use immediately. The end-user only needs to provide the user credentials, and then they are good to go. I also really like Cloud PC, which was recently launched on Azure.

What needs improvement?

The documentation about the custom image setup could be better. Although Microsoft provides the steps to configure Intune or set up or deploy Intune, it doesn't have much information related to custom images.

If you ask, "how can we deploy the custom image?" There is no information. The steps they mention ask you to connect to your on-premises environment or create your own image on the cloud itself once there is connectivity. But I needed to go to multiple websites to get all this information. I had to figure out how to upload the custom image if you want to use the on-premise custom image for Cloud PC. If you have the proper subscription, you must have the right access, like global admin or owner. Then you can add your custom image to that. There are no steps mentioned over there.

I have been working with Microsoft Intune for over four years.

It's definitely a reliable solution. They are also providing real-time security, and that's very good.

It's easy to scale up, and that's one of the major highlights of this particular product.

The initial setup is straightforward. To set it all up, we need to connect to the OEM and then provide all the hash information and more. Everything should be pre-configured on the laptop, and then the user is good to go.

We implemented this solution. Maintenance completely depends on us. It depends on what service we want. We have to decide if we want to manage it on our own or whether Microsoft should manage everything. We can decide that. We can deploy applications through the management console. If you don't want to take care of its backend, everything can be managed through Microsoft. That's very good, and I think it's very simple.

They have categorized the licenses according to the size of the business. So, if it's a smaller organization, we can choose the license accordingly. If it's a big organization, then we can choose accordingly. Everything is clearly mentioned, and we can decide. It's suitable for all kinds of infrastructure, and that's very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that Intune is a very good product and everything is cloud-based. If you want, you can use it as a pay-as-a-service. That is also very good, and it provides a very simple unified platform to manage everything from the single management console. It also provides a report for many things like how many end-users are using it and what applications they are using. We get a very good report, and we can manage it very well.

Along with mobile device management, you can also use it for Windows management. Microsoft has combined Microsoft Endpoint Manager, Microsoft Configuration Manager, and Microsoft Intune into a single console.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Intune an eight.

Sonia Nijjar
System Engineer II at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
A scalable solution to easily lockdown applications on mobile devices

• "I like how Microsoft Intune lets me lock down the email profile and make it accessible only on certain devices."
  • "I'm still playing around with it and haven't had any issues with the product yet, but support can definitely be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft Intune to manage iPhone devices that we currently deploy to the end-users, and I manage all that. Right now, we're running close to about 60 devices.

But eventually, what we want to do is go ahead and enroll the Windows platform on that as well because there's only one license per user that can deploy up to five devices. That is going to be my next migration roadmap. We're going to be managing laptops through it as well. So it would be Windows 10 platform along with the iPhones.

What is most valuable?

I like how Microsoft Intune lets me lock down the email profile and make it accessible only on certain devices. I also like how one user license allows up to five devices.

What needs improvement?

I'm still playing around with it and haven't had any issues with the product yet, but support can definitely be improved.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for about eight months.

I would say that it's a stable solution.

It's definitely scalable because one single-user license can allow up to five devices to be added. We're going to be rolling some laptops out, and we can definitely work with either an Android or an iPhone. It doesn't matter which device.

It's scalable to that point, and the fact that only one user license will allow up to five devices, I think that's something that we would be looking to do, and we're definitely happy with it.

I've dealt with Microsoft way too many times, and needless to say, I'm not too fond of Microsoft support most of the time. I've always had a better experience with Workspace ONE and VMware, and they're very good with their support. Microsoft support can definitely use a lot of improvement.

With Apple Business Management, we can pre-deploy everything, and we can manage everything on the phones with the lockdown. With Workspace ONE, I couldn't lock down the email profile and make it accessible only on certain devices.

Especially with Office 365, this became the biggest issue because we couldn't lock down the profiles per device space. When I worked with VMware, I worked with Microsoft Office for a couple of weeks continuously to figure out a solution and couldn't find one.

That's when we decided to go with Microsoft Intune management because we could lock it down to just those devices. Otherwise, it was locked, and our tenant is a government tenant, and we don't allow any external access to our tenant.

That was the issue I was having with Workspace ONE. Workspace One couldn't integrate Office 365 applications the way I wanted it to.

The initial setup was straightforward. I actually prefer Microsoft Intune over VMware Workplace ONE because it's a bit more complicated. The setup was also easy because I've worked with Intune before.

It's not a server license. It's an end-user license. Because it's an end-user subscription and it's on a monthly basis, and because we're a government tenant and have a lot more scalability and users, we use it monthly.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely say that you need to work with Apple Business Manager first. If you don't set up that account first, you will run into some issues, especially if you're doing a managed profiles on it.

Just make sure you do your homework before you get started because there are a lot of prerequisites. If you miss them and you don't do it, then you run into issues, and then you're literally recreating the same work you've already done.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Intune an eight.

Download our free Microsoft Intune Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.