NS
Director IT Strategic Initiatives and PMO at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Offers the right picture in terms of the dollar amount being spent on each and every project

• "The solution's time-tracking abilities are one of the strong points. The only challenge is enabling it to the minute-level task. It's not at a project level but it's at an organization level. If I want it to be at a higher level as compared to some of the other projects where I want it to go to the nth level of a task for the time reporting, I cannot control it at a project level but it's controllable at an organization level. That's the only big challenge that I have."
  • "The integration with some of these other tools that we use, like the Azure DevOps needs improvement. I heard there are few things coming within Planview or PPM Pro itself, but I think it's still future dated. These integrations are key for us from an organizational perspective."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for capacity management, resource management, and time tracking.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, a lot of activities were done using Microsoft Excel and they had to be recreated. There were a lot of formulas and stuff like that, with a lot of manual work that resulted in a lot of errors. With PPM Pro, we don't get any errors in terms of the calculations. We get the right picture in terms of the dollar amount being spent on each and every project.

It helps from a historical perspective. In 2020, we sometimes go back and refer to 2017 for some of the projects or some of the work that was done.

What is most valuable?

Based on our usage, capacity management and resource management are the salient features. The challenge that we have in terms of managing the portfolio is arriving at the different projects within a portfolio and ensuring that the capacity what we have meets the need. When we do the portfolio planning, the tool helps us a lot in doing so, and from the reporting perspective, it provides a good overview of where time is spent as compared to what was planned, which I feel is key for a standard project and portfolio management.

PPM Pro enables us to create usable project templates that reflect our project management lifecycle. I think it works beautifully for the waterfall-based project, though Agile-based implementations have challenges in defining such templates. The level of detail is a bit different when it comes to Agile as compared to waterfall projects.

We have customized the templates for our needs, based on our definition of waterfall and Agile. If it is a waterfall template, then you're defining your activities, you're defining your time, and the schedule. So when people report back to these specific tasks or a specific area, the time gets captured according to the phase and work that they have been doing. This works out pretty well when you take a report and compare it to say, "Okay. Where are you? What was planned?" If the design was planned for 1,000 hours of work we can see how much we have spent, where we are, and how much more is needed. It is pretty well documented.

Once the task gets completed or closed, you can't expect people to go back and report any time on it, so it's locked from that particular perspective. In terms of the Agile template, it's a different thought process altogether, specifically when a project might use different teams to work on the same project. It becomes a bit challenging, because two teams might do the work at two different times, and you may still want to keep the task open for a longer duration. It's a bit of a challenge and we are learning what the optimal way of moving forward with the Agile process is.

Because most of these Agile teams work with the task breakdown or they plan with Azure DevOps, we have a whole gamut of activity that breaks down within the Azure Boards stating the Epic's features and the task level detail. With PPM Pro, we define a high-level Epic or a feature so that the team can report the hours. There's a bit of duplication of effort there because the team has to update their activities on Azure, as well as come back and do the time reporting in PPM Pro. One of the initiatives that we have engaged with Planview is to see how to integrate both the tools.

It only takes a few minutes to create a new project. It's just a copy and paste to create a template.

In terms of the task management features, based on the parameter of the project, we have the standard tasks being defined. They would have been mostly waterfall-based projects. Then we do the phase-wise tasks, the initiation, elaboration, construction, warranty, kind of a thing. But if you take a modified Agile project then the task is derived based on the higher level Epics. It has brought a positive impact to the project management process, mostly in terms of planning financial controls or budgeting process. We rely on the tool itself to let us know the overall plan, as well as the dollar amount that is forecasted and spent.

The solution's time-tracking abilities are one of the strong points. The only challenge is enabling it to the minute-level task. It's not at a project level but it's at an organization level. If  I want it to be at a higher level as compared to some of the other projects where I want it to go to the nth level of a task for the time reporting, I cannot control it at a project level but it's controllable at an organization level. That's the only big challenge that I have.

The leveling of time reporting is centrally controlled as compared to the control at a project level. For example, if I create a task and I create a task as a phase of initiation, elaboration, or construction and if I enable the time reporting to be at a task level, these tasks would be seen by the timesheet report by the user, to say that this project has an initiation task assigned to him and he can report the task. But if there are multiple levels of those tasks, it has a folder with three or four tasks. If the time tracking is enabled at a task level, the number of steps that you would have defined in your task shows everything to all the users.

It provides managers the insight they need to empower decision-making. When we look at our portfolio and when we want to work around either increasing or reducing that portfolio, we do use a lot of what-if analysis. That helps us in making very meaningful decisions to say whether we would be switching or investing in something else, whether that would be working on a specific system or diverting diverse posts to a different system, which would have a better return on investment.

What needs improvement?

We're looking forward to the new dashboards and some of the capabilities.

I have been using PPM Pro for five years.

It is stable. It has matured a lot since the time it was called Innotas. I find the solution to be stable and robust.

We have around 200 users in my company, including portfolio managers, project managers, and two admin.

We are at an optimum level right now so we don't anticipate more users at this point in time.

Support has been great. Last year we engaged with Planview to help us with some of the apps that we've been doing, specifically in terms of the forecasting, and how to manage the contingency. We did have one of the consultants engaged and working with us, but unfortunately, it was not of much help. In most of these cases, I think consultants revert to saying, "Okay. We are coming with the new financial tab and the functionality." So our problem didn't get resolved at that point in time last year. But we are hoping that the new features that are being rolled over right now will help us in what we are looking for.

I would rate their support a four out of five. There are gaps in some of the work they do but they are responsive and knowledgable.

When we purchased it, it was still called Innotas. The organization hired a PMO manager who had worked in a different organization and he had experience working with Innotas.

We use MS Project and MS Teams. We never looked at any integration with PPM Pro, since we worked the process to a different aspect of work. Microsoft and PPM Pro are two different things. From the project management perspective, you can't do any time tracking in Project, and you can't do any capacity management across your portfolio. PPM Pro is focused on complex projects.

The initial setup requires some work to be done, but it was not complex. You have to setup the organization, have customized reports, and customization. It was more of a standard process, but it was not so straightforward.

From the PMO perspective, I've written off 30 to 40% of the effort from my PM constitutes to a good amount of savings at the end of the day.

We have different models, some are user-based, some are a license for all the tools underneath it. It's a different combination and capacity based on the user's needs. It is optimally priced.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have a very clear understanding of what your requirements are, the use cases that you want to implement, and what is that you would like to develop in the tool. Based on that, you need to ensure to put the right configurations in place so that the right kind of data can be populated. Doing a thorough analysis of that requirement is key for putting up the right design and right configuration for the tool.

I would rate PPM Pro an eight out of ten. There are still features that the product needs to deliver. The standard project management, in terms of the capacity of the use cases related to the portfolio, capacity, refills, time-tracking, is all good. Other features that are key from a project at a portfolio perspective in terms of auto-calculation, managing contingencies at a project level and the portfolio level need improvement.

Saumya Singh
Developer at Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
Has great customization capabilities and has good project management, reporting, dashboards, and time management features

• "PPM Pro absolutely enables us to create reusable project templates that reflect our project management lifecycle. We had a good customer session on this, where a team utilizes portfolio management and project management of the tool very intensively. We follow all of the templates but having said that, we have so many divisions and we have so many users and project managers utilizing the tools. They have a different bunch of templates. We're not just following one or two templates. We have a number of templates that the teams are using."
  • "I think PPM Pro is going to release a resource self-service admin which is going to duplicate the standard groups. I think that will help us a lot because right now a standard group has their own permission and we don't know what permission is getting out to the users. After the resource self-service admin will be in place, I think we will be in a much better position in terms of the formation profile."

What is our primary use case?

We have a multitude of divisions, big, small, and cross-functional. We have five different groups who use PPM Pro and they have their own instances. Within one, there are five or four different divisions and they all have different uses for utilizing PPM Pro. Some of them use it to manage staff, some use it for direct staffing and we have a process in place to segregate those processes or the approach they're using. It's huge. As technical support, I support all of those five instances with my team. There are two other members of our IT team.

How has it helped my organization?

PPM Pro is cross-functional. When I started, one of the instances was a mess because people had a different approach or different mechanism in place. For example, they were just going ahead and creating available fields for projects without anyone's permission. We did an event where we established that only the admin should be able to create the available fields. For example, if you're creating a field under one division, the nomenclature should be BID completion methods. We established that process. After that was established, it took a while when we changed the whole approach, and now we are able to utilize it more effectively. Only the admins have the access to create the available fields. We also put the description and when it was created by the field so that we have clarity on those fields as to when they were created.

After we utilized that approach, we are in a much, much better position. Earlier, it was around 4,000 available fields that I could check. It was reduced after the cleanup by 20%. We are in a much better position right now than we were before.

PPM Pro absolutely provides managers the insight they need to empower decision-making. Especially with project managers, we focus a lot on the permissions. We don't give permission to everybody to edit anything on a project. Even if you know you're a project manager, only the project manager or the admin has all kinds of necessary access to the projects. Not everybody on the team or on the staffing can edit it. Once we established that approach, it has helped the project managers a lot in executing a successful project.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are project management, reporting, dashboards, and time management. In terms of reporting and dashboards, we have stakeholders who are really interested in how the R&D business users are doing. They are interested in knowing which projects their resources are allocated to and what the resource allocation looks like.

They're also interested in the financial summary, how the resources are involved in the financial aspect of the tool or in the division. I think every division has different reporting and dashboard users. There are different kinds of users who use them very differently. Reporting and dashboards are one feature that we really use a lot. We have a huge team of Power BI and PPM Pro integrates really well with Power BI.

PPM Pro absolutely enables us to create reusable project templates that reflect our project management lifecycle. We had a good customer session on this, where a team utilizes portfolio management and project management of the tool very intensively. We follow all of the templates but having said that, we have so many divisions and we have so many users and project managers utilizing the tools. They have a different bunch of templates. We're not just following one or two templates. We have a number of templates that the teams are using.

It doesn't even take a minute to create a project using PPM Pro. It's very quick.

The process of building a team within a project depends, it varies from different person to person or different project managers and how they want to utilize it. I think the most important thing is the staffing person. Resource workbench and staffing are the two most utilized features under project management.

There is a feature under the project where you can add team members. We have the permission profiles which give the team members permission to edit or modify the information on the project. For example, if you're adding a resource as a team member of the project, you give that permission to the team member and you can also limit that to the permission providers. If you don't want that team member to be able to edit the key information on the project, you just give them the view-only permission.

The task management features are really good. A few of the divisions are using the time management part of PPM Pro very intensively. They use timesheets and allocate hours.

PPM Pro for viewing projects and timelines is absolutely great because we have the task view and we have the spreadsheet editor. You can view projects, both the status of the project, what we're doing, and what the timeline target date is. We usually build out a report and then a dashboard and then view it collectively as a team, as a division, or as a group.

What needs improvement?

When I joined this team, I was really interested in the dashboard because earlier there were only four or five kinds of dashboards available and now we can create 14 or 15 different kinds of visualization reports and dashboards. That was an area for improvement, if you would have asked me last year. But since then, we have the reports and dashboards coming out or already available in our Sandbox. Because of that, we were using Power BI a lot, but I think now that we have different regulations, different reporting features, and dashboard features in our PPM Pro, we have enough to do a lot of stuff in the instance itself rather than using different tools.

Under projects, there are available themes that you can create based on your convenience that are limited only to the admins and project managers. That was the approach we have utilized from last year to this year, and that has helped us a lot. Also, we are very focused on utilizing the permission matrix and we utilize the standard groups a lot.

I joined as a technical support lead for PPM Pro in 2019. Within the organization at Thermo Fisher, we have been using PPM Pro since 2015.

We don't have any stability issues. It's good.

Scalability is great.

We have 1,026 full users and time and entry users for one instance. We have five other instances so we have close to about 2,500 users. Every division under the group has their own admin. If we have five divisions in one instance, we have an admin for each division but we also have IT teams, which I am part of. We are a team of three people, me along with two of my colleagues and we take care of all the admin needs for those five groups and for those five divisions. If somebody wants resource or user access for PPM Pro for a particular division, only the division admin or IT admin can do that. We are the IT admins and then we have the division level admin.

R&D users use it immensely. They use it for timesheet management, reporting, dashboards, and project management.

I use their technical support all the time and they're absolutely great. A few of them aren't.

I also use the community forum where I just go and ask questions. With community discussions, I just go and ask questions and they are capitalized in terms of financial management or portfolio management.

If I see a bug or an issue or something I am not able to do under my admin capabilities, then I reach out to the customer care support. They're pretty responsive.

We also use Micro Focus PPM for project management in our organization and we are trying to migrate all the users from that to PPM Pro. We see the value to it and we have a huge team working on that migration.

I think some divisions also use Microsoft Project.

What other advice do I have?

A project management tool can be this intuitive and this customizable. PPM Pro has great customization capability, which makes it suitable for any product or any business. It has scalability, flexibility, and customization. I can customize it the way I want, especially for the projects or the permission analytics. I think it has an intuitive interface and customization capabilities.

If you have a cross-management team or a bigger team that has great project management capabilities go for PPM Pro. If you're also into reporting, dashboards, and visualization, I think PPM Pro is a great tool. It has great customization capabilities and is very flexible.

I would rate PPM Pro an eight out of ten. It's highly customizable and flexible. That makes it a little bit difficult also because we have a lot of divisions and a lot of users who are utilizing PPM Pro and they go ahead and customize something based on their liking, but the other divisions don't like it. Then it becomes a little bit of a challenge. You have to call a committee and establish a process that is the process everybody is going to utilize. That makes it a little bit difficult. The customization is good but also a little bit difficult. That's where those two points are lacking. Otherwise, it's great.

Learn what your peers think about Planview PPM Pro. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Dawn McClure
IT Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Helped to reduce project delays but it should have the ability to integrate tasks with Microsoft Outlook

• "I liked the dashboards because I need to report out on tasks completed in the last two weeks, tasks scheduled for the next two weeks, what the risks and health are. What I've been able to do is create reports based on that and then put those reports into a dashboard. The old reporting was clunky, but the beta reports got better. But then I couldn't add the beta reports to the dashboards so now they released the new beta dashboards and it works great. It does everything I need to do."
  • "I would like to schedule reports. I would like to be able to schedule a report and every Monday it sends that report to these people. That circumvents having to give them a license. It's just a way of saying "Okay, this is what's going on this week," and it just happens. I don't have to worry about it."

What is our primary use case?

We use PPM Pro for our PMO office for projects that are over a hundred hours externally, $20,000 external budget, or big projects like our SD-WAN rollout. I have a project plan that has 876 tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

PPM Pro is forcing us to put everything in one place because everything was SharePoint, Excel, Microsoft project. We have a Projectplace and we have LeanKit, so we're trying to set boundaries around what goes into LeanKit versus what goes into Planview. Projectplace was bought by our marketing department. I don't even know what they're doing with it, but at some point, it's going to force us to assess how they're using it. I don't want three tools. I either want an Agile tool or I want the full PPM Pro. It's forcing us to grow up.

We're getting to the point where it provides managers with the insight that they need to empower decision making. We have portfolios set up and we're recording our first executive report soon.

It has helped to reduce project delays because we had some issues at one of our rollouts and had to back out. I was able to because of the way I had my tasks set up and predecessors, I was able to easily move out the dates without having to do a lot of changes. It's been reduced project delays by at least 25%.

What is most valuable?

PPM Pro enables us to create reusable project templates that reflect our project management lifecycle. I manage most of the ServiceNow projects. I have a ServiceNow template. We buy a lot of companies so anytime I bring on a new company, I just put in the ServiceNow template and I know every task I need to do to accurately onboard that company.

It doesn't take terribly long in PPM Pro to create a project but if I don't know the tasks, that's the longest part. Building tasks is the longest part.

I had a little confusion with how the licensing worked for building a team within a project. I was giving everybody a full license, but our administrator gave us a sit-down and said we can't give everybody a full license, we had to give them a timesheet license.

I personally haven't used the time tracking. We're not that mature yet. Our PMO just started in March, so we've had to develop a charter, recruit the members, make sure we know what the CEO expects from us. We've been managing projects at the same time building the organization so we haven't really gotten into the time management or the resource feature yet.

Its ability for viewing projects and timelines is pretty good. I have no complaints about the Gantt view or anything.

It has helped us to increase the number of projects in my organization by 50%. We actually have an intake process in ServiceNow that if you want to request a project, you have to request it in ServiceNow. It notifies the PMO team. We review it and either approve or reject it. If it's approved, then it goes to our steering committee and every two weeks the steering committee assesses which projects we're going to take.

What needs improvement?

My gripe was with the dashboards and Planview fixed that so I'm happy with it.

I would like to schedule reports. I would like to be able to schedule a report and every Monday it sends that report to these people. That circumvents having to give them a license. It's just a way of saying "Okay, this is what's going on this week," and it just happens. I don't have to worry about it.

The only complaint that I have about the test management features is that I would like to be able to copy and paste as you can in Excel or Project. That's the hardest thing for me. I know how to do it now, but I just really want to do control C, control V. The other thing I'm looking for, which I haven't found from any of the sponsors is that I want to integrate the tasks with Microsoft Outlook. Because right now, I have to open up my task list, and then I have to add it to my calendar. I would be really interested in a way to integrate your tasks with your calendar.

I haven't noticed any issues with stability.

From a scalability point of view, it's not so much the platform as the cost of the license that is limiting.

We have close to 200 users. Some of the users are global service, delivery manager, project managers, finance, we have a service desk, infrastructure team, and networking team.

There are roughly 20,000 people in the organization and we have roughly 200 people on the tool. That demonstrates the scope of who's using it. It's mostly folks at our corporate office and IT folks at two of our other companies. Carlisle is made up of four divisions and each division has multiple companies under it. It's a company of companies.

I haven't contacted technical support but the admin has. Support has been responsive and knowledgeable.

I have used Microsoft Solutions like MS Project or MS Planner and Teams. With those tools, you have the ability to add it to your calendar. I think that's the one thing that's missing from PPM Pro.

From the portfolio standpoint, Microsoft isn't as good. It's easy from a Planview perspective. You go in and you can either do it from the project level or you could do it from the portfolio level. It goes both ways. It's pretty easy and you can do bulk edits and bulk deletes. It's pretty flexible.

Projectplace was used by our marketing team. I know some folks were using MS Project, some people were using SharePoint, some people were using Planner, and some people were using Excel. They're being phased out now.

I wasn't part of the team when they implemented but I don't think the seup took a long time. They started it back in December and then I joined in March. By the time I joined it was up and running.

My company worked with Planview for the deployment. Two staff were involved from our end.

We only have one person for management and they elected me to be her backup. I'm an IT project manager.

We are able to clearly project the number of dollars that the PML is responsible for and we'd never had visibility into that before.

Bulk volume discounts are a little better. Right now we have to buy in lots of 20 at $200 a license. That's a little steep. For example, with ServiceNow, I pay $48 a seat for a license.

Planview, ServiceNow, Microsoft were the three contenders.

The Gartner Quadrant is always a factor and price is a factor. But the fact that our marketing team went out and bought Projectplace on their own, it drove the company in that direction. We weren't going to win any battles getting them onto something else.

Everyone has their advantages and disadvantages. Within this project, the copy and paste feature and being able to link it to our calendar was their forte. ServiceNow, you could easily build dashboards and schedule reports. To me, that was their forte. With Planview, the portfolio was the best out of the three. It was a toss-up for me, but now that I'm on it and they're making changes to the dashboards, that was one biggest thing.

What other advice do I have?

Always try stuff in the sandbox before you try it in production.

My advice would be to definitely have a charter built. You need to know their processes before they start using the tool. Don't think of the tool as a way to build your internal processes. Have your processes in place before you start using the tool. The reason I say that is because we had people creating a business sponsor when it should have been a project manager. Then, we had project managers that really should have been team members. We had a lot of cleanups to deal with after we got everything in there. I helped document how projects should be entered, how fast should we set up the naming scheme for things. We had a lot of back and forth about what the costs were and how to get the cost onto the portfolio. Know what you want to get out of the tool and know your processes before you put anything into it.

I would rate PPM Pro a seven out of ten because of the little glitches that can be worked out like the copy and paste feature and scheduling reports to run and adding it to the calendar.

Microsoft Azure
Mike
Senior Project Manager at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to get to data in the system when doing searches with custom filters

• "PPM Pro provides managers the insight they need to empower decision-making. The data is always in the tool. It's just making sure people are using it correctly. We track the requests as they come in. We track our demand by each of our teams within IT and then estimate that effort so that we can see if we are getting a lot of requests to certain teams. We check the demand versus capacity as those items come in."
  • "Reporting and dashboards need improvement. I know they're doing a major revamp of that. We're really looking forward to that because that's something that is really being requested by our customers to give them better visibility, reporting, and dashboards that are easier to understand."

What is our primary use case?

We use PPM Pro within our IT department to manage enhancement requests that are small, medium, and large.

How has it helped my organization?

Our request process for how our users request enhancements from IT has been the driver for us. We have a lot of people coming in to request enhancements who are using Planview and we customize those fields as we see fit. For example, if you're in a pandemic, you need to track different things on those requests. It's easy to add those fields to build a report on those fields which has been a nice feature for us.

PPM Pro provides managers the insight they need to empower decision-making. The data is always in the tool. It's just making sure people are using it correctly. We track the requests as they come in. We track our demand by each of our teams within IT and then estimate that effort so that we can see if we are getting a lot of requests to certain teams. We check the demand versus capacity as those items come in. Then as we plan out the coming year, we're doing a lot of that demand versus capacity and also looking back at historical data. We check how many hours it took us the last time we did something similar. That's where the tool has been helpful for us.

It has also helped us to reduce project delays. I wasn't here before the tool. When I came on, the tool had already been in place, but I think our utilization of the tool has changed a bit. I think it will be changing again based on the enhancements that are coming out as well. Overall, we've seen some improvement and I think we'll see more.

What is most valuable?

I really enjoy how easy it is to get to data in the system like when doing searches with custom filters. EasyBuild reports are one of the best features, it gets what people want to look for.

We have several templates that we use in the system depending on the type of projects that we have. That really quickens the pace of getting tasks set up for a project.

It only takes minutes to set up a project in PPM Pro. We use the templates and then just put in the details for it, so it doesn't take too long to set it up.

The process for building teams within a project goes pretty smoothly. I find it pretty easy to use. You can build your team at different levels, either at the overall project level or by building it up through the task level. It has good flexibility.

This flexibility really does help our project management process because every project is unique and we have different kinds of project processes or techniques that we use and the way we structure the project may be different. It's nice to have that flexibility in the tool to be able to handle that.

Overall, its time-tracking abilities are good. One of the things we've looked at is potentially Projectplace to help out our users with their timesheets. It would be nice to be able to track more while we're in the work rather than having to go to a separate timesheet. From a timesheet perspective, it works fine.

PPM Pro is good for viewing projects and timelines. Some of the items that they're working on will make that even better and I know those are hopefully coming out in the near future. The whole timeline view and the ability to select and show what you want to have on a timeline will be a really nice visual component for showing a project.

What needs improvement?

They're looking at moving the spreadsheet editor into other areas of the system. Those have been key updates. They're not available on all the screens yet and all the locations of the system but that will be a nice add-on when they get that because we can have one screen, but when we go to the next screen, that won't have the same editor.

It hasn't increased the number of projects in our organization because that's more based on the demand of our customers internally, rather than the tool. It really hasn't changed our throughput overall with projects.

I have been using PPM Pro for over four years.

Overall, we've had very few reportable issues on PPM Pro so we've only had to submit a few tickets. I usually submit the tickets within Planview, so I know personally that we've only had to submit a few over the last couple of years and that speaks to the stability quite a bit.

It's definitely very scalable. We've seen growth in our business. I know we've seen a lot more users using it for requests. As our governance structure has changed over the last couple of years, we've used it quite differently and scaled it to a lot of different users and a lot of different uses. It's done just fine.

We have our request users who are submitting requests for enhancement-type items. There are over 6,000 request users. Then for full users, these would be folks who are doing more than just requests, they might be tracking time, working in this system, providing updates, or doing approvals. For those types of things, we have over 250 users.

For maintenance, we have several of our project managers, including myself, that are administrators of the system.

PPM Pro is being used quite broadly in our IT department and for requests coming into our IT department. We use it for all of our enhancements as well as projects. It has a 100% adoption rate. We have to use it. That is our IT tool for tracking time and handling new requests. We use it all the time with IT.

What we've used of their technical support has been good. We hit some technical issues with an API that we utilize and we got the right people on the phone with us to work through it and get it resolved. Overall, we've had a good experience with their technical support.

I've used MS Project at previous employers. Compared to Microsoft Project, PPM Pro is quite a bit different. We used Project previously just as a standalone to build a project, put in our tasks, do our work breakdown structure, and that was it. We didn't use it for a server or enterprise base where we did any capacity, demand planning, or intake like we did in PPM Pro. We do enjoy that functionality, that there's a lot more going on in PPM Pro and a lot more use cases that we can use it for. It's served us well, and we're looking forward to seeing what else we can do with it.

I was not involved in our initial setup. We are moving to the new request process, which is a pretty major revamp for us and I am involved in that. That work is currently underway.

For the revamp, we have a lot of historical data and custom fields in the system, so there's a little bit more thought process we have to do around what we set up in the new request process and then how we migrate or what data we migrate over to that new process. And then also communicating that out to our request users, which we have a couple of thousand of, and making sure that they're aware of the updates that we're doing to it. I'd say it's a little bit complex just moving into the revamp, but I think overall the help we've gotten from Planview has been really helpful in mitigating some of that.

I'm really not familiar with the pricing structure that we have. We do like the fact that we have all those requests users for the licensing. Our default for our users across the enterprise is to set them up as request users so that anybody can submit a request to IT. The fact that those requests users are a free license is definitely a key item for us.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to have multiple administrators involved in your teams. Learn about the capabilities of the tools so you use it to its fullest. Involve other areas in developing those processes and procedures around it so you can get buy-in and utilization.

Solutions always have a lot of capability. It's really how you use the solution and then how you show the value to the main users of the solution as well, so that they have that buy-in and that they're not working around the system, but rather working in the system. That gives you the best data for tracking, and it gives you the best utilization and reporting capability across the board if you have that buy-in and utilization.

I would rate PPM Pro an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
Shantel Lutz
Global Applications Functional Lead at Carlisle Companies Incorporated
Provides managers the insight that they need to empower decision-making

• "The reporting and dashboards are the most valuable features. For most of what we're using it for almost all of it is pretty valuable to us."
  • "The reporting has room for improvement. I know it's all in the revamping all the time with it, but there are things that I know my PMOs don't like. For instance, they want a pie chart and I think it's a bug in the system. I've been working with somebody on it, but then she thought it was because they were trying to look at negative values, which a pie chart doesn't do, but little things like that quite haven't gotten to what we need as far as reporting, but I think it's on the roadmap."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for IT project management. We're slowly rolling it out to all of our divisions. We have six divisions and some of our divisions are using it to start with IT projects M&A and then I have one division that's using it for a little more than just IT projects.

We have 60 users right now and eventually, we'll be probably close to 150. Our initial release for our divisions was going to be back in April, but we had COVID hit and a couple of our divisions had to have a reduction in their workforce. There's additional training going on. I've got one group that's going to go live by the end of this month and that's going to be another about 30 people.

There are PMOs that manage their projects, but as far as supporting the application, it's just me. Right now it's full-time maintenance only because I'm the one that has to work with all the divisions to get everything set up as far as what they want to see in their grid and their details. I do all the training and if there's a field that they need that Planview doesn't have I'll create a UDF. It's full time, but it's not like where there are issues all the time. It's still just rolling it out to the division.

What is most valuable?

One of our M&A projects are acquisitions.

I don't want to say that they do enable us to create reusable project templates that reflect our project management lifecycle because some of our IT PMOs that are using it, I don't know if they're creating templates and stuff yet to go that far. I am planning to utilize it in the future.

The time it takes to create a new project in PPM Pro depends on how many tasks are within the project. Currently, I have one group that has 191 tasks. That took them a while to put in. The biggest downfall right now for us is loading all the tasks in there. Some of them are not using Projectplace so they can't import from it.

The average time it takes to create a project is ten to forty minutes. Before PPM Pro it would have taken five minutes. A lot of our employees have Microsoft Project. On the PMO side, one of their concerns is that it takes them a little bit longer to input a project and tasks than it would in Microsoft Project. I have a couple of PMOs who are still on the fence, just because of the amount of time it takes them to put in projects compared to Microsoft Project. With Microsoft, you can copy and paste because Microsoft Project is basically Excel. That's about the most that I've heard their biggest complaint is that you can't just copy and paste into it and you copy task and things like that from Project. I've got one PMO who isn't hip on Planview, just because she can create a project in her task and project within five minutes and it takes a little bit longer in PPM Pro to do that.

The process for building a team within a project using PPM Pro is easy.

I only have one division that is using timesheets right now and we're still testing out in our sandbox site, but so far everything seems to be working great for what we want to do for time tracking. I think there's one little concern, and we're testing that out next weekend, but I think we'll be fine on it.

We've tried a couple of the different settings for the time cards and what projects they can charge time to. It comes back to that they want them to only be able to see the tasks that they're assigned to, but they can see everything now. If a task is in the future, they can still add time to it and they don't want them to be able to add time to it. Just a mistake-proof type thing is the biggest thing.

PPM Pro provides managers the insight that they need to empower decision-making. So far I've gotten good feedback from our PMOs who report and things like that. I would say that's a plus, that's a good thing for us.

I'm not really running any projects and taking feedback, from what I hear so far it has helped us to reduce project delays. It has also helped to increase the number of projects within our organization.

What needs improvement?

I have been using PPM Pro for a year and a half.

The stability is pretty good. I haven't had any issues.

We have plans to eventually scale it up. Eventually we want to start using the request and the what-ifs, right now we're not using those. We'll probably do so mid-next year.

Technical support is absolutely great. Anytime that I have to actually submit in a ticket, I have a resolution usually within that same day. They're great. Everybody at Planview is great to work with. All the ones that I deal with are great.

We just had to up our license by 25 because with the original quantity that we had it turns out where a lot of people think that their employees need full user licenses and now that they realize the cost of what it is per year per user, they've scaled back and well. That's a big thing with the license type is getting everybody to understand that not everybody needs a full user license. Other than that, it's fine. It would be great if we had something that was less than a full user, but a little bit more than a time user.

Cost-wise, it seems within reason, but I don't know what other applications cost is to see if it's compatible or within the range of what other applications are charging for their licenses and things like that.

What other advice do I have?

Overall it's been a great tool to use as far as project management.

They like the tool. I have a couple of PMOs who like MS Project but they're given the PPM Pro. I have other PMOs that love PPM Pro. It's just a matter of taking time to get used to when they're used to MS Project.

PPM Pro is a great tool and you can get it to your needs for the most part. There's not an application out there that you're ever going to find that's going to fit your needs 100%. You can only get the application to your status that far and then you have to adapt to its status as well but overall, it's a great tool. I would support it. I would hype it up to have people use it.

I would rate PPM Pro an eight out of ten in terms of the overall application, what it supports, what it can do, and for me, a project that I have only took me a couple of minutes only because I have a couple of tasks, but for me, this was the first project management application I've ever dealt with. It's fine for me. Especially since I only have to support it and not do projects.

TH
Program Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reports and dashboards allow us to have more flexibility but it is lacking the ability to edit items in bulk and save drafts

• "PPM Pro is really great at the portfolio level like seeing what projects are in flight versus complete, or maybe not started. The portfolio level view is good for stage-gate management specifically."
  • "It takes more time than it should to create a new project because we can't bulk edit things very easily. That is definitely an area that has room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for research and development projects.

How has it helped my organization?

PPM Pro is really great at the portfolio level like seeing what projects are in flight versus complete, or maybe not started. The portfolio level view is good for stage-gate management specifically.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Projects
  • Portfolios
  • Reports
  • Dashboards

We track all of our development projects in the system so it's good to have visibility across multiple projects instead of just having Microsoft projects being used on local computers. And then the reports and dashboards allow us to have more flexibility or more consolidated views for different types of users.

It enables us to create reusable project templates that reflect our project management life cycle. It has made our project management process a lot less manual.

PPM Pro is good for viewing projects and timelines. You can see a Gantt Chart, but again, there's no visual, so we have to export the project and get a visual or use an office timeline or other forms of a timeline visual. That's a really manual process.

To an extent, it provides managers the insight they need to empower decision-making. The lack of robust resource planning is not good and that's difficult to manage.

It has helped to reduce project delays by roughly one to three months.

It doesn't help us to increase the number of projects in my company but that's not a bad thing because we were doing too many before.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have the ability to edit items in bulk and save drafts. It's one or nothing. You can't save drafts.

Another area of improvement is the system's slow for projects with more than 600 line items.

There is also no timeline visual, it's only a Gantt Chart.

Resource management and planning are difficult at the headcount level. In the next release, I would like to have better scenario planning for resources and portfolios.

The process for building a team within a project is manual and difficult. The system doesn't provide recommendations. Creating a new project can take a week.

I also find their task management features to be poor because we don't have the ability to bulk edit or scenario plan. You can't save drafts. The spreadsheet editor doesn't allow you to edit all of the fields, only a subset of fields. And the spreadsheet editor is the recommended workaround solution, but it's not robust.

I have been using Planview PPM Pro for about two and a half years.

Stability is not great. We often find a lot of issues and the timeframe for issue resolution is longer than is ideal or to be expected.

I am neutral about the scalability. That's not something we really have spent too much time diving into.

I would rate their technical support a six out of ten. It's slow. Oftentimes it would be faster to just speak with somebody in the technical team, not an account manager. I would give their technical team an eight out of ten.

The initial setup was straightforward. We had a really good implementation team but unfortunately, our account manager who started with us is no longer with Planview.

It was really fast, it took around a month. We had a full project plan for it that we worked with Planview on creating.

Three hundred people in our company work on PPM Pro. You could call them the development team, project managers, portfolio managers, executive leadership managers, and cross-functional teams. It's just myself and a partner who work on the maintenance.

In terms of the number of projects that we use PPM Pro for, it's adapted 70% and we do have plans to increase usage.

I have seen ROI but I don't know the amount.

We also looked at CA Technologies and Daptiv.

The fully integrated solution that PPM Pro said they had between PPM Pro and Projectplace was not a true statement after implementation. So we've been working with them on making that happen. Other platforms were very stale and out of date. The visuals that we were shown for PPM Pro were actually, Enterprise One, not PPM Pro, so that was a bit misleading.

We also use Microsoft solutions for project management. They are doing far better than Planview is doing right now.

For individual projects, I would give a nine out of 10 for Microsoft versus Planview being a six or seven out of 10. And then for portfolio analysis, it doesn't really provide much of an option there. Planview has got that, PPM Pro is better in that regard.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to know your business case and make sure you test that in the sandbox environment.

The biggest lesson I have learned is that the current editing capabilities and the task list are really difficult and arduous and that it's much easier to build out a project plan in Microsoft Project first and then upload it once it's completely finalized. So it's not really somewhere to build a project.

I would rate Planview PPM Pro a six out of ten.

GabrielMorales
VP of PMO at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Attentive customer service

• "Daptiv is a project management tool, so it's pretty straightforward. The ability to manage projects and programs has been beneficial for us."
  • "The resource management tab is clunky, inefficient, and slow. And from a portfolio manager perspective, it would be nice if there were an easier way to view enterprise-wide resourcing to manage my team more effectively."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Daptiv for project portfolio management.

How has it helped my organization?

The company finally has software to track projects. We didn't have that before that. So now we're able to measure and track our projects at a portfolio level. It has substantially improved our ability to meet deadlines.

What is most valuable?

Daptiv is a project management tool, so it's pretty straightforward. The ability to manage projects and programs has been beneficial for us.

What needs improvement?

The resource management tab is clunky, inefficient, and slow. And from a portfolio manager perspective, it would be nice if there were an easier way to view enterprise-wide resourcing to manage my team more effectively. Still, looking into other teams, I had to build my own tools.

The company has been using Daptiv for about two years, but I've only been with the company for a little over a year.

I think Daptiv is a stable platform. We've had some performance issues every once in a while but nothing noteworthy.

We're a small outfit. We don't have a lot of people logging in at once, so I don't think we're a good use case for that. Our entire IT department has fewer than 200 people, and I'd say we have like 30 people tops in the system. They're resource managers for the most part. I've got six project managers that are in there regularly. Then there are other people who are not within the PMO doing some project management. They go in and do some updates maybe once a week. It's very few people, and it's mostly my team that's using the platform. So it's a tiny group who are heavy users. We're constantly trying to get people to log in. It's not that extensive, but I'd like to try and make it as extensive as possible.

Our Daptiv admin mostly handles support, so I haven't had much personal experience with that. However, I will say that we've had a good relationship with Planview customer service. I heard it was somewhat of a disaster before we got a dedicated customer service representative. Our client manager has been great. I don't know who her predecessors were, but my predecessor was on the verge of trying to switch solutions. That's how bad it was. So I've had an extremely good experience.

Daptiv was deployed before I joined the company, so I don't know anything about the installation. As far as maintenance goes, we have one person who is our data analyst and Daptiv administrator, but outside of that, we don't require anyone else to maintain the solution. Since it is SaaS, we only have to do a few housekeeping tasks on our end, such as people management and resource management. For instance, adding or removing user accounts when people join or leave the company. Other than that, there is just a yearly project cleanup maintenance.

Our current license is from 2019 to 2022. So for that three-year subscription, it was $60,000 for the subscription, users, platform, and connections. Then there were some add-ons. Connecting to some of our other systems like HR for that period cost us around $12,000. And then for customer service, we paid $18,000 for three years, so $6,000 a year. There were also some additional fees, including $35 annually for portfolio management and $60 for the license renewal.

What other advice do I have?

I'd give Daptiv an eight out of 10. So much of your relationship with your partners is through your client partner, and ours has been fantastic. The sales guy who is assigned to me has also been extremely helpful. Their customer service is great, and the project management tool itself is helpful.

I had previously been doing a lot of this stuff manually. When I was a consultant, I used Excel on a project-to-project basis. This is the first time I've used a project management tool since 2009, when I used HP's solution. God only knows who owns that now. So I think it's a good tool. I like it. And Planview listens. They're trying to move forward. My concern is now that another company has acquired Daptiv, will I have to move to another solution sooner than later?

For anyone thinking about implementing Daptiv, I would say don't make the mistakes this company has made. There's no need to customize anything. Keep your customizations to a minimum if it's nothing new. I can't emphasize that enough. The less customization, the better.

The company can only help me so much because of the customization they did. Just don't customize. Customize only if it's absolutely something you'll need in the future. Don't look into the past. Because I wasn't here for the implementation, I really can't complain about the implementation partner or the tool's limitations. However, I'm kind of hamstrung with all these customizations.

I would also suggest enabling the tracking of actuals. For someone ungodly reason, my predecessor and her boss decided not to turn on the tracking of actuals, and it's the bane of my existence. It means flying blind as to what people are actually working on versus just estimates.