Planview LeanKit Overview

Planview LeanKit is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps: Planview LeanKit vs Microsoft Azure DevOps

What is Planview LeanKit?

Planview LeanKit enables engineering teams across all levels of the organization with a visual work delivery tool to apply Lean management principles to their work, helping them work smarter and deliver faster.

Planview LeanKit is also known as LeanKit.

Planview LeanKit Buyer's Guide

Download the Planview LeanKit Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Planview LeanKit Customers

REA Group, Thompson Reuters

Planview LeanKit Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Planview LeanKit pricing:
  • "In general, Planview's cost structure is reasonable. You get quite a lot of functionality for the license cost that you get."

Derrick Johnson
Application Analyst at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
Sep 27, 2020
Much more easy and flexible to get customizations done to make your board look how you want

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using LeanKit as a task tracking tool for all of our teams. Since COVID hit, we just wanted to use it to see where our teams are on their work, see where they need help, and also to keep track of how long specific projects are taking. We also use it to make sure our employees are not being overloaded with any work. We're still early in our organization of actually adopting it. We transitioned to LeanKit from JIRA. We wanted to find a way to cut costs. We realized that we can use both, but since they're both task tracking tools, we wanted to just utilize the one. Third-party… more »

• "My team specifically uses our board for all of our Remedy tickets that come in. We had a card for every ticket that we get, and we're able to add the link to that specific ticket there.If I'm out of office, for example, and someone else needs to work a ticket or someone is being contacted to work on a ticket, I don't have to sign on it. Someone else can easily access that ticket because I put the link in there. It's nice. It has a lot of great functionality in there."
  • "The ability to report on customizable fields and third-party extensions needs improvement. I'd like to see more of those being able to be used. I don't know how that works for Planview, but just getting a little bit more added there would be nice."

What other advice do I have?

As an administrator, it's nice that we can have other users manage their boards. Just because the standard has always been JIRA, times change and new applications show up and change is good. My advice would be to rely on a board administrator. You don't have to do everything yourself and set templates. I think templates will help make the transition a little better. That way other teams can collaborate more efficiently. I would rate LeanKit an eight out of ten. Once we get the third-party integration and the customizable reporting my grade would raise a little bit.
HP
reviewer1485132
Manufacturing Manager, Capital COE at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 2, 2021
A highly collaborative tool where everybody can see things in one place

What is our primary use case?

We have a unique use case. Normally, people use LeanKit to track agile development in IT. However, we use the product to track our savings on capital projects.

• "Using the tool seems to save time versus trying to do things in a regular manner. It is highly collaborative; everybody can see things in one place. It is a highly functional, but pretty simple tool. That is hard to find: A tool that has a lot of functions, but is also simple."
  • "The integration with the Enterprise One product is probably an area for improvement. It's not really broken. It's just that it is such a handy tool and a great way to visually manage things. There is a very limited hookup/integration between Enterprise One, which is the master Planview tool, and LeanKit. While they are looking at this on their roadmap, it definitely needs to happen. There is a lot of opportunity there."

What other advice do I have?

Listen to what the technical folks at Planview are telling you. They are probably right. Don't try to do anything that the tool isn't meant to do in some way. It is definitely a SaaS and nothing that can be customized. It can be configured, but it is what it is. We use all three of Planview products. We use LeanKit, Projectplace and Enterprise One. I was actually prepared to talk about Enterprise One, which I think has more opportunities. LeanKit is so simple and easy; it's just a simple tool. Their Enterprise One tool is a much bigger, older tool that has some more opportunities for…
Learn what your peers think about Planview LeanKit. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,892 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Beth Noser
Applications Analyst at University of Kansas Medical Center
Sep 16, 2020
With everything in one location, we can determine if teams can take on more workload or have roadblocks

What is our primary use case?

We're using LeanKit for our IT teams right now, but we're hoping to utilize it enterprise-wide. We're using it for Kanban boards and methods to help with our lean and Agile workflows.

• "We use the board and card hierarchies in terms of sprints so that we can see if we have cross-functional teams that are working on the same projects together, especially when projects have dependencies. The parent-child relationship within cards is really nice so that we can see what kind of dependencies there are when we're trying to get projects finished."
  • "Being able to track actual time on cards or sprints, instead of using just the planned start and stop date, would also be useful. I would like to see something like JIRA has with actual sprint starts and stops."

What other advice do I have?

When you're trying to decide on a solution like LeanKit, important things to look out for are reporting, and the customizability or flexibility within the product. Those are really helpful to individual teams. The biggest lesson I have learned from using this solution is that you can really be creative with your Agile process and make your to-do list seem easier to tackle.
JackCaine
Agile Delivery Lead at Eliassen
Nov 12, 2019
Makes work visible so everyone know where things are

What is our primary use case?

We do it to make work visible on one board in the area of sales and transformations on another. I am just a user. I do not administrate it nor do I manage it. I do not set anything up for it. I am just opening up cards. Our clients use LeanKit heavily. I have seen it at Walmart, for example.

• "It makes work visible, so everybody knows where everything is. It uses Kanban, and that makes work visible."
  • "I do not know what it can do in the area of scrum. Maybe it has that functionality. I have never tried to set it up. You think of LeanKit from the perspective of Kanban. I don't know if there is a template for scrum, a scaled agile framework, or any of those scaling frameworks."

What other advice do I have?

Training documentation was originally provided by my company during the onboarding process. They gave us the links and a user guide. I did not watch any videos. I am an agile coach and trainer, so I teach Kanban. I have administered other systems. When you think of LeanKit, you think of Kanban. You don't think of anything else. Maybe it is because it has the word has lean in it. I would rate the product as a 10 out of 10. What it does, it does well. It is fine for Kanban.