JE
Manager Cyber Security (Technical) at a government with 11-50 employees
Good as a general anti-virus but needs more depth and sophistication

• "The general anti-virus on offer is the solution's most valuable aspect."
  • "We're actually looking to upgrade to more sophisticated ADL products. We need a more sophisticated endpoint. We need to have the ability to automate those instant response processes."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our endpoints. We do occasionally use it for some servers as well.

What is most valuable?

The general anti-virus on offer is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

We're actually looking to upgrade to more sophisticated ADL products. We need a more sophisticated endpoint. We need to have the ability to automate those instant response processes.

I've been using the solution for about a decade. It's been about ten years at least.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches. We find it to be very reliable at all times.

We have between one and 2,000 users on the solution at any given time.

We haven't needed to scale up in the past few years, so I can't speak to its ability to do so.

We have a separate team in-house that handles tickets, therefore, I've never been directly in touch with technical support myself. I can't speak to the level of service they provide.

Since I have been working at the organization, the company has always used Trend Micro. I don't know if they used anything else prior to that. That said, we use a number of other services as security in depth. We have other gateways and firewalls and a bunch of other items that we use.

I wasn't part of the team that implemented the solution. I wouldn't be able to say if it was complex or straightforward.

It's pretty low-maintenance. We do continuous updates and we also update the backend security appliance that goes with it, which probably happens three or four times a year.

The costs of the service fluctuate for us; I can't really say how much it costs our organization in general. I do know that it's not expensive. cost-wise, it's on the lower end of the spectrum. The licensing we have is all-inclusive; there aren't any extra costs involved. If we decide to stay with Trend Micro and upgrade to a better service, we'll be paying a higher price.

We're currently looking for another solution that may be a bit more sophisticated than Trend Micro, so we are currently evaluating other options. We're down to two or three other vendors. Those we've looked at include an upgraded Trend product, Microsoft Defender ATP, XDR, Crowdstrike and MacAfee.

Some of the other products give the capability of virtual sandboxing, endpoint threat detection, automated response, that kind of service.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Trend Micro. We're using the latest version of the solution.

OfficeScan offers basic anti-virus security, but if you're looking for more advanced security features, you really need to look at more sophisticated and modern services.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten.

BobenGeorge
Sr.Customer Engineer- Projects at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Provides good reports, affording control and a birds-eye view of what's transpiring

• "We have found the reports to be most valuable."
  • "Whether the license is monthly or annual depends on the deal of the company."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a central server so that clients may be deployed on their PCs.

We use it for client endpoint purposes.

What is most valuable?

We have found the reports to be most valuable. Apex Central provides good reports, affording control and a birds-eye view of what's transpiring.

What needs improvement?

The endpoints should be addressed. Occasionally, certain driver versions, such as the original PC drivers and the ones that are HP, would read something as an external threat and this would cause us problems. In reality, these were nothing more than false alarms. In a big environment, this presented an issue at the time. The issue was, in fact, internal and not external, such as that originating from a driver, like a graphics card driver, or a DLL file. Alarms were going off in all our PC's and this was a problem we encountered with a major customer of ours. However, a patch was released and the problem was dealt with.

The support could also be better.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that the solution is not user friendly, but some of the patches are creating problems, such as those of the driver that we are struggling to trace out.

I have been using the solution for the past three years.

So far the product has proven stable and implementable.

The solution is scalable and I plan to continue to use it in the future.

The technical support and the extent of its knowledge should be worked on.

The installation is very cool. It is so nice.

It took 20, perhaps 40, minutes.

The technical team needed for the deployment and maintenance can vary. It depends on the company's environment, or the project or contract involved. I am not referring to the 20 permanent users I mentioned but to the customers, the clients. The number may be 18, it may be 15. It varies.

It used to be that the customer had to pay for licensing fees. Sometimes he dealt directly deal with our company and at other times with that of Trend Micro, which would have dealings with us.

Whether the license is monthly or annual depends on the deal of the company. When a company is international it may have a global contract that would be relevant. Otherwise, the deal may vary according to the country or partner involved.

What other advice do I have?

Trend Micro Apex One is a good product, with the inclusion of more features.

Some projects will involve the implementation of the solution and others will be upgraded versions from OfficeScan to Trend Micro Apex One or Apex Central. Our control manager has switched to Apex Central. Sometimes a small company will be involved and at other times the implementations.

The solution is both cloud-based and on-premises.

We have around 20 customers using the solution.

I rate trend Micro Apex One as an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Apex One. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sumanth Reddy
Solutions Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good protection, good ability to detect ransomware and malware, and competitive pricing

• "Its ability to detect ransomware and malware is the most valuable. Its protection is also good."
  • "The portal is a little bit slow in loading. The cloud portal or management control should be a little faster. There seems to be a lot of load on their servers over there. Maybe they are using one server for multiple customers. It would be great if they can increase server performance in the cloud. Its technical support and reporting can be improved. There is no proper reporting, and there is no PDF or things like that. They should include detailed reporting. An attack happened at a client's site, but we couldn't get the report on the same day. We were unable to provide a detailed report to our client. We approached the technical support, and even they didn't give proper answers. They need to improve the reporting capabilities, or the technical team should support us in providing these reports. They should include reporting in the solution. They should also insert sandbox analysis in Apex One."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for protecting our endpoints. Both Apex One and Worry-Free Services are cloud-based services.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been detecting the management activities and quarantining them so that the continuity of our business is maintained. We had a ransomware attack, and Trend Micro was there to stop the attack, and we are still in business.

What is most valuable?

Its ability to detect ransomware and malware is the most valuable. Its protection is also good.

What needs improvement?

The portal is a little bit slow in loading. The cloud portal or management control should be a little faster. There seems to be a lot of load on their servers over there. Maybe they are using one server for multiple customers. It would be great if they can increase server performance in the cloud.

Its technical support and reporting can be improved. There is no proper reporting, and there is no PDF or things like that. They should include detailed reporting. An attack happened at a client's site, but we couldn't get the report on the same day. We were unable to provide a detailed report to our client. We approached the technical support, and even they didn't give proper answers. They need to improve the reporting capabilities, or the technical team should support us in providing these reports. They should include reporting in the solution.

They should also insert sandbox analysis in Apex One.

I have been using this solution for more than a year.

It has good stability.

Its scalability is good. We can scale it. We just need the licenses. In my company, we have 20 users, but we have also deployed it for our clients. We have plans to sell it more to our clients.

It is scalable for on-premises versions, but we need to do a few things to our database. For on-premises versions, we need to improve server performance as well.

Technical support should be improved. It is not as good as the other products. We had to generate a report on one of the attacks that happened, and they weren't much responsive.

The cloud services are straightforward, but the on-premises version of Apex One is not straightforward. It is a complex installation of Apex One.

The deployment duration varies. We have to first prepare all the prerequisites, which takes a lot of time. Overall, the installation takes up to two days. For a large enterprise, the deployment would take one to two days.

We are an integrator, so we implemented it ourselves.

Its pricing was good. It is very competitive with all the other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to install and implement this solution. It is a good solution. For every solution, there'll be pros and cons.

I would rate Trend Micro Apex One an eight out of ten.

Vikas Ingle
Infrastructure and security Lead at a program development consultancy with 201-500 employees
Reasonably priced, good anti-malware, stable, and scalable

• "Along with the anti-malware, it has a built-in device control and DLP."
  • "It should have a single agent as competitors are offering."

What is most valuable?

It's a good product. The software is good.

We have not been faced with any issues as far as antivirus, or anti-malware is concerned.

Along with the anti-malware, it has a built-in device control and DLP. We have been using that and found it to be very useful.

Previously, we were using OfficeScan and now it is Apex Central. The Smart Scan feature and the update frequency have improved. The antivirus updates used to be once or twice a day, now it's in real-time. Every two hours there is a new definition or there is a new pack, which is a good thing.

We also like that it has Advanced Threat Protection because it is a good feature.

What needs improvement?

The driving force behind Trend Micro is not wanting two different agents on the same machine. If the cloud proxy could be on the same agent, it would increase our footprint on the client machine. Instead of running two agents, we think it would be better to run a single one.

The only concern that I have is with Trend Micro not having Cloud Proxy integrated into the same agent and the same console.

They have two different products, Cloud Proxy, and Anti-malware with DLP, which the only reason we are considering replacing it.

It should have a single agent, as competitors are offering.

We have been using Trend Micro Apex One for four and a half years.

Presently, the version we are using is Apex Central.

This product is quite stable.

Trend Micro Apex One is very much scalable.

We have 1,000 licenses.

Before Trend Micro, we were using McAfee.

We switched because of the price difference. There is a huge price difference between Trend Micro and McAfee.

Our local partners deployed this solution.

We are not required to buy new licenses. The existing licenses will expire and we have to renew the license.

The issue is that we have requested a web proxy, cloud proxy feature, but the cloud proxy, with Trend Micro, has a different console, it's a different agent.

But I understand other competitors like CrowdStrike and Sophos, have a single agent for anti-malware that includes the DLP, the device control, and the cloud proxy.

The price for Trend Micro is reasonable.

Because it is time for renewal, I have been evaluating other solutions to see if I should stay with Trend Micro or if I should replace it. We are evaluating products such as Crowdstrike, Sophos, and Cloud Proxy, but the prices are quite high.

What other advice do I have?

The product is very good. It's stable, and if you are not looking for a cloud based proxy then you should go for Trend Micro. The pricing is very good, but Cloud proxy pricing is very high.

I would rate Trend Micro Apex One a nine out of ten.

WG
System Engineer at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good technical support with the capability to scale and offers real-time scanning

• "The solution offers good community support."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution could be simplified a bit."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is an endpoint antivirus. We primarily use it for endpoint security and protection.

Most of the customer requirements are just to have endpoint security - and something that is not just pattern-based or signature-based. They want to have protection with zero-day attacks and suspicious malware alerts.

What is most valuable?

Their real-time scan feature is excellent. It's proactively scanning every movement within the machine or the workstation. It's a very nice security feature.

The solution is largely stable.

The initial setup can be pretty straightforward.

The technical support is good. They have local techs that can assist. We don't have to worry about time zones, et cetera.

The solution offers good community support.

What needs improvement?

Trend Micro's reporting is lacking in a lot of ways. Right now, I have some customers that want the report to be customized, and we're having trouble with the customization of the reports in general. They need to make the features more flexible to meet the needs of clients. It's far too difficult to customize right now.

It would be ideal if the solution could be simplified a bit.

The product needs to execute faster. It's an aspect that can be improved upon in future releases.

I've been working with the solution over the last 12 months at least.

The stability, for the most part, is very good. There are a few bigs and fixes here and there, however, that is typical of most software. It's not something that stops it from being reliable.

We largely handle enterprise implementations.

I'm satisfied with the level of support we get. Their support is good since they have local support here in the Philippines. They are knowledgeable and responsive, and it's nice to have local help.

The initial setup is straightforward, as long as the setup of the customer is also straightforward. There could be some complexities involved. It depends on the current setup or network set up of the customers.

I don't have the visibility in terms of pricing. It's not an aspect of the solution I concern with. I can't speak to the licensing costs or how often the company needs to pay.

It actually competes with McAfee and Symantec. They are our direct competitors.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers of Trend Micro.

We're using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number.

We use various deployment models, including on-premises and cloud.

In general, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. Our customers, for the most part, have been quite happy with the solution and its level of security.

JK
Technology and Information Systems Manager at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
No down time for updates because of the cloud; work stations can be updated externally

• "No down time in terms of the backend having to be updated because it's on cloud."
  • "Some of the updates still require a complete reboot of the system."

What is our primary use case?

We have been a Trend client for some time and we looked at this product as the next evolution. We had servers on-prem to manage our Trend install and we went with the Apex One real-time monitoring solution. Being cloud-based meant we didn't have to worry about upgrading the backend servers. We could also be sure that the regular disk came down to the components and that they will update properly on each one of our devices. We are customers of Trend and I'm the manager of our company.

What is most valuable?

The nice thing about this product is that there is no down time in terms of the backend having to be updated because of the cloud, so it's basically real time and the work stations can be updated externally as well. It doesn't require people being connected to the net, like our nomadic users. The client goes out and pulls the necessary updates directly from the cloud.

What needs improvement?

From the client perspective, there are situations where some of the updates still require a complete reboot of the system and the problem there is from an end user perspective. We have to make sure, particularly with people who work remotely, that they actually are rebooting their machines and not just putting them to sleep. If the updates didn't require rebooting that would make a big difference.

I'd like to see a single back pane between the end points as well as on the service side of things. I know they're working on that at the present time and it will be great when it's done.

We've been using this solution for some time.

The stability is good and there's a better capture rate in terms of reporting as well, because now you get to see all your machines in and out of your network.

It's a very scalable solultion, more so now that it's not dependent on my back end.

We use the support and find them quite good. I have someone who deals with the tickets that arise out of Apex One. We have set up a system where anytime there's an issue, virus or whatever, the back end will let us know what was done on a particular machine and it can be validated once the process is complete. We get notifications into our ticketing system if any work has been done. The support for implementation is also good, and they're very responsive. If you have an issue with any kind of malware, they help with that too.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

GF
Infraestructura & Seguridad TI at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
DLP feature is useful for our environment and we also get good support, but it needs a lighter agent that doesn't impact the performance

• "DLP is a solid feature in the product. I like it very much. It is very useful in our environment. It is also a very stable solution. Their support is also very good."
  • "Trend Micro should make the agent lighter. When we run the scanning process, it consumes a lot of memory, and the performance is degraded. It is very invasive. It could be lighter. When we used Symantec, we didn't have this problem when we ran our scanning process. It worked like a charm. On the endpoints, it didn't feel like that the process is running, whereas, in Trend Micro Apex One, we can feel that the endpoint is running slow. Sometimes it even hangs. Scanning should be faster."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as an antivirus solution. We are testing the Data Loss Prevention feature, but basically, we are using it for our endpoints in a segmented network. There is not so much traffic to the internet.

What is most valuable?

DLP is a solid feature in the product. I like it very much. It is very useful in our environment.

It is also a very stable solution. Their support is also very good.

What needs improvement?

Trend Micro should make the agent lighter. When we run the scanning process, it consumes a lot of memory, and the performance is degraded. It is very invasive. It could be lighter. When we used Symantec, we didn't have this problem when we ran our scanning process. It worked like a charm. On the endpoints, it didn't feel like that the process is running, whereas, in Trend Micro Apex One, we can feel that the endpoint is running slow. Sometimes it even hangs. Scanning should be faster.

I have been using this solution for around three months.

It is very stable.

It should be easy to scale. We have 40,000 subscriptions.

We are using the support from our region, and they provide very good support. They have very well-trained people.

We are migrating next week from Symantec Endpoint Protection to Trend Micro. We are part of a corporation that has offices in many countries of South America. We signed an agreement with Trend Micro, and that's why we are switching to Trend Micro.

The initial setup was straightforward. It takes a day to configure the server for configuration policies and other such stuff. For the deployment of the endpoints, it can take 15 days to set it up at the workplace.

Our IT department has around two people working on IT infrastructure and security. Those are the required people.

We have a yearly subscription. Our subscription includes all solutions of Apex One, such as endpoint protection, DLP, and ransomware protection. We are paying around $30 for each.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Apex One has to make some changes to the scanning process. That's a negative point, but on the other hand, we get good support that responds almost immediately to our requests.

I would rate Trend Micro Apex One a seven out of ten.

Other
MP
Senior Manager Information Security at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
An easy initial setup with good technical support and great security

• "Technical support is quite knowledgeable and helpful."
  • "The solution could use signatureless detection."

What is our primary use case?

Trend Micro Apex One is a nine-point security solution from Trend Micro. We primarily use the solution for all of the scanning of our endpoint devices.

What is most valuable?

Trend Micro ensures the number of signatures is updated on time. If you have updated versions of signatures, they are built into the database quickly without wasting time.

If you don't update your database in real-time, the problem is there can be zero-day exploits. Hackers or malicious attacks might get through. Trend Micro in that sense is a very good product as it allows us to have access to the database all the time. The security is excellent. That is the most valuable aspect.

Technical support is quite knowledgeable and helpful.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use signatureless detection.

The EDR capabilities should be built into the solution. In my opinion, the native endpoint product should have the capability of EDR also. The product should be capable of actually building some behavior-based analytics so that it can actually detect signature lists.

I've been using the solution for about three months. However, I had been using a previous version of the solution, known as Office Scan, for the last two or three years or so.

The solution is scalable.

We currently have 2,000 users on the solution.

We intend to increase usage in the future.

We've reached out to technical support in the past and we've always gotten the help we needed. We're satisfied with the level of support we receive.

We didn't previously use a different solution. We've always used Trend Micro.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward.

The deployment doesn't take much time, however, it depends on the size of the organization. It's very slow to deploy the product to multiple clients. If your organization has a 10,000 user base, sit will take longer than if you have a 2,000 user base. It just varies according to the number of machines to which it will actually be deployed.

We have about 2,000 users and we have a team of three or four people that handle maintenance.

I am the security manager on the end solution security team in the organization. The deployment was actually done by the IT team within my team. We didn't need the assistance of consultants or integrators.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at a nine. It's been very good. We've been happy with the results so far.

Download our free Trend Micro Apex One Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.