Wesley Lee
Senior Product Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great customization, good stability, and very good documentation

• "The setup is fairly easy."
  • "There are some drivers that are not there encoded, however, I thought that was pretty normal. They could be more comprehensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an operating system.

What is most valuable?

The customization of the solution is its most valuable aspect.

The solution offers good documentation.

The setup is fairly easy.

The solution's pricing is overall pretty good.

What needs improvement?

Right now, the solution is working quite well for us. I can't think of a feature that is lacking.

I've been using the product only for about a few months at this point.

The solution is stable. It's reliable. We don't seem to have any issues with bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze

We've never tried to scale the solution. I wouldn't be able to comment on its scalability.

We have 30 to 40 people on the solution currently.

We never really contact technical support. Typically, if we face issues, we try to handle it in house by ourselves. There is pretty good documentation available, and in that sense, we're satisfied with the level of information we can find to help us navigate the solution.

The initial setup was not complex. It was quite straightforward. However, we don't use it in any complicated way.

Deployment is very fast. It only takes about an hour or so to set up.

The pricing of the solution is pretty fair.

What other advice do I have?

We're on the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution to other users.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

AJ
Human Resources Manager at a outsourcing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, with good support, but the integration could be simplified

• "I like that everything is in the command line. It is really helpful."
  • "At times, it can be complex when we are trying to integrate or when we are trying to set up some features."

What is most valuable?

I like that everything is in the command line. It is really helpful.

What needs improvement?

Recently, we experienced a problem with the integration with DAD where it was not syncing.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for four or five years.

We are working with the latest version.

This solution is stable. It runs smoothly in our environment and we have not been faced with any issues using it.

It's a scalable product.

We have support, but only use it on rare occasions.

They respond well to customer care.

When we raise a ticket with them, they reply to the emails. For example, if they have a tag for a particular issue they will respond to you within four hours.

We only connect with technical support when we have an issue.

As I am from IT security, there are some type-overs required. I need to use Kali Linux.

I have also tried some penetration testing tools, which is testing that is better done using Kali Linux tools.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It takes a couple of hours to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently evaluating different software solutions that we can deploy in our environment. Some that we are considering are CrowdStrike and Microsoft Defender ATP.

We are looking at the options and the features that offer us the best endpoint protection.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Dimitris Iracleous
Lead Technical Instructor at codehub
Is stable and flexible

• "Ubuntu Linux is flexible because it has a lot of new features, so you can use it without any problems."
  • "You have to do a lot of configurations yourself. It is not very user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

It can be used to write an application that is for all kinds of users to operate as an independent application.

What is most valuable?

It is a stable, open source solution as well.

What needs improvement?

You have to do a lot of configurations yourself. It is not very user friendly, but if you wanted to be a technical person, you may use it. However, you may still have a lot of difficulty with the configuration.

They could make more automations for the average user.

I've been using it for 6 months.

I have never had problems with stability.

The installation is straightforward, but you have to study beforehand. It isn't as straightforward as Windows is. You have to know some things you have to do.

It took about two hours, but it could be higher than that because we had to check for things. We didn't need a lot of reboots as compared with Windows, but I had to decide a lot of technical things during the installation.

It's an open source solution, but you can make donations if you'd like to.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Ubuntu Linux at eight and would recommend it to those would like to implement it.

For average users, I would recommend Windows because it's the system most people use. If they are gamers, they will not find any game applications, as Ubuntu Linux is mostly for developers.

TM
Systems Engineer at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Flexible, secure, easy to install, and there is good community support

• "There are several manuals online that are free and available to help you."
  • "The repository needs to be kept up to date all of the time."

What is our primary use case?

Ubuntu is mainly required for work services, your domain name services, and internet public-facing services.

What is most valuable?

It is flexible. It's the best of both worlds.

It's secure.

There is a lot of content available online that can help you, if you have an issue. There is good community support to help you with any issues you may encounter.

There are several manuals online that are free and available to help you.

What needs improvement?

The repository needs improvement.

The repository needs to be kept up to date all of the time.

With my previous employment, I have used Ubuntu Linux for approximately five years.

It is not currently being used but has been used within the last year.

We were not using the latest version. It was between version 16.4 and 18.4.

It's a stable solution.

I use a mix of different solutions, two of which are Ubuntu Linux and CentOS.

The initial setup is straightforward and it is only ten minutes maximum to deploy.

We have one engineer to maintain this solution. It is not complex. It's something you install, configure, and walk away from.

We did not use a consultant, we completed the installation ourselves.

We don't pay any fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, and it works quite well.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten.

JW
Forensic Technology Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Less virus prone, highly stable, and free

• "Some of the main features of this solution are it is less prone to viruses since most viruses are written for Microsoft software, and it is easy to use."
  • "They can keep improving the solution's ability to be adopted by users by adding features, such as better tutorials and integration into the system."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution as an operating system.

What is most valuable?

Some of the main features of this solution are it is less prone to viruses since most viruses are written for Microsoft software, and it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, from a user perspective, they should allow the integration of Microsoft Office or other business solutions. There are free tools available but I think these solutions would allow for better business adoption.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

I have used Apple OS, Microsoft Window, and most recently started using Linux Mint.

The installation is easy and it takes approximately one hour.

One of the benefits is you can have a dual boot of your system to allow both Ubuntu Linux and Microsoft Windows to be used.

I did the implementation of the solution myself.

This solution is free.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others it is very stable.

I rate Ubuntu Linux an eight out of ten.

HG
Director of Linux Platform Software Institute at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Security is the main advantage when using this solution

• "The security is very good."
  • "The user interface needs to be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for Ubuntu is as a Linux operating system.

What is most valuable?

The security features are what I find most valuable. It is very secure by default.

What needs improvement?

I think that the Ubuntu user interface should be improved. It could be simplified. We have not seen any real improvement in the last kernel, which we expected to happen with the latest release.

But the user interface should be improved because it is not very user-friendly.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for five years.

The product is stable. We do not have problems with downtime.

We have hundreds of people using the solution and we do not see a problem with scalability. Most of these people are end-users. I think six of those people are administrators to help to maintain the product.

The technical support is okay. We do not have to get in touch with them often but when you need them the support is there.

I think that the initial setup was easy.

It is not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend Linux Ubuntu. It is a good solution.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst andten is the best, I would rate the product as an eight-out-of-ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: distributor
TL
Head of Security at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Open source, configurable, robust, and free

• "Some of the highlighted valuable features are that is based on Linux, configurable, functional, and robust."
  • "Better integration between the interface of the software and the operating system itself would be a benefit in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for internal application deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Our SmartVista solution is based on Debian Linux, that is really similar to Ubuntu.

What is most valuable?

Some of the highlighted valuable features are that is based on Linux, configurable, functional, and robust.

What needs improvement?

Test automation and application maintenance could be improved.

I have been using the solution for 17 years.

The solution is stable, it is based on 20 years of history.

I have found it to be scalable.

The solution is open source and has no technical support.

Yes, Red Hat 4, SuSe 6.3, . . . .fro the 90s. Because of functionality and easier management

It is a free product.

What other advice do I have?

Since I have been using the solution for a long time I have used many version. Currently, I use 20.04, and previously versions 18.04 and 16.04. I would advise others to trust in open source solutions, they are really configurable and do not give up too early.

I would recommend this product.

I rate Ubuntu Linux an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

LE
Head, Information Systems and Technology at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Free and open source enterprise solution

• "For us, OpenStack is awesome. We want something that will be much simpler than a broad and complicated solution."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, I would say management and storage. Mostly, the storage mechanism."

What is our primary use case?

We pretty much use it to run everything that we have at the moment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say management and storage. Mostly, the storage mechanism. There have been some subsequent versions that have improved on this. But I'm talking about the version that we are currently running. We are aware that there have been some subsequent versions that have addressed this challenge.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux between six and 10 years, and I joined the company about three years ago.

In terms of stability, it has been very stable.

Because the version we are running is the community version, we are on our own. We rely on information available in the community to address support cases. I heard that there was going to be some training at some point. For now, we pretty much manage it by ourselves. But we've not really had any cause for support. Because of how very broad the solution is, you need some substantial budgets to be able to manage it.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would rate Ubuntu Linux an eight.

Off the top of my head, I would advise to check out the management of the storage.

Also, the UI can always be improved.

Private Cloud