Ubuntu Linux Overview

Ubuntu Linux is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top OpenStack tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Linux: Ubuntu Linux vs Oracle Linux

What is Ubuntu Linux?
Super-fast, easy to use and free, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktops, netbooks and servers around the world.

Ubuntu Linux is also known as Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Linux Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubuntu Linux Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Ubuntu Linux Customers
Samsung, eBay, AT&T, Walmart, Cisco, Time Warner Cable, Bloomberg, Best Buy, Dell, Intel, Microsoft, Ericsson, Orange, Wells Fargo

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Ubuntu Linux pricing:
  • "It is also manageable and financially affordable."
  • "It is open source, so it is free. There is no licensing fee."

ImanDarabi
CTO at GreenWeb
Many good automation features

What is our primary use case?

I use Ubuntu Linux for server administration and to manage network traffic. I set up a Linux server and router with all traffic through ease. I could limit the band rate limits of users in university. These are the main use cases. I also used Ubuntu with ZoneMinder Software. It's open-source software and we use about 700 CCTV cameras, which are IP-based. We deployed this on our servers for use on our own two operating systems. Other use cases include using it with the base cloud. I set up an openness patch on the Ubuntu Operating System. I'm familiar with Bash Scripting, Python Scripting, and… more »

• "There are many good automation features in Ubuntu."
  • "Management monitoring and interface could be better."

What other advice do I have?

Ubuntu has improved driver support and the installation of Ubuntu is really fast and easy. I recommend it to everyone. I would recommend Ubuntu over any other operating system. Ubuntu is useful for a variety of challenges, and issues. I would rate Ubuntu as 9 out of 10. It has good support and can be deployed on a cloud such as OpenStack. Ubuntu thinks about its customers and really helps them to achieve what they want. The freely available support resources of Ubuntu are really good. The good use of documentation and community forums are the major things that Ubuntu has succeeded. Ubuntu has…
Buddy Parker
Founder at Element Flux
Provides flexibility and freedom to do whatever you need to do and is highly stable and resilient

What is our primary use case?

I use it for everything. I literally use it for any activity that I would do on a computer. I use it for writing code, browsing the web, shopping, and streaming videos and music. I also use it for graphics editing and testing.

• "There is a lot of freedom and flexibility to install it really quickly. It is just very powerful in the sense that it doesn't take up as many resources to run as some of the other operating systems. It is open source, so it is free. There is no licensing fee. There is flexibility and freedom to do whatever you need to do. If you are familiar with the command line, you can jump on the command line and configure almost any part of the operating system that you want. If you are not comfortable with the command line, the graphical user interface has really improved ever since I started using Linux back in high school. It is really very simple to manage your settings and other things. You can also try out multiple desktop environments. As a matter of fact, on one of my laptops, I have installed five different desktop environments, and I can switch between them. If you don't like one, you can easily just install another one with a few commands, and you have got a whole new desktop right there, whereas, in Microsoft Windows or a Mac, you are just stuck with whatever they give you, and you have to wait until they sell you something else."
  • "Like most Linux systems, they can just keep increasing support in Ubuntu for hardware systems. They can increase the number of drivers so that Ubuntu can work on more hardware. They have been improving greatly, but they can definitely keep doing that."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if you want a good resilient system, flexibility, and control over your operating system. You can upgrade without having to pay or even turning off the computer. You don't need to shut it down and install upgrades. You can literally upgrade to a newer distribution while using the computer for the most part. I would rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten because there is always room for growth.
Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Stephen Murcott
System Administrator at j5 Software South Africa
A stable, user-friendly solution that has good standardization, visualization, and package management

What is our primary use case?

We're using Ubuntu in a number of different ways and I even have a server for the main controller that's running Ubuntu so that people can authenticate and do various other things internally. I started using Linux a very long time ago and it wasn't Ubuntu. Ubuntu just happened to be the friendliest, nicest solution out there. It is also the easiest to sell to other people. One of the things I like about this solution is that you can leave it without having to boot into a rescue mode at one of your servers. You don't have to change permissions or go through nightmarish scenarios to solve… more »

• "I think Ubuntu's main strength, as opposed to using the other Linuxes, has been its ability to encourage user feedback."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to know what you really want. Ubuntu can be customized to exactly those functions. Depending on how you want to scale, for example, you might want to look at microservers, architecture, and how to connect it all up. And have your Ubuntu servers as small nodes or even containers. The solution offers many options, so if you're starting with Linux or Ubuntu, I would start with playing around in virtual machine space, seeing how the package management works, write some scripts, getting to know a little Bash. The solution is very secure and there is a lot of…
    MahdiBahmani
    Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
    Has a simple interface and it's easy to use but it is lacking enterprise features

What is our primary use case?

Some of my customers use Red Hat, some of them use Debian, and some of them use Ubuntu. Ubuntu is popular for ordinary customers and some of our clients use Ubuntu. I have experience with most main distributions, such as SUSE, Ubuntu, Red Hat, CentOS, and Debian.

• "Ubuntu has a good interface, it is easier to use than other distribution such as CentOS or Red Hat. It's suitable for beginners who want to start learning Linux. It has a simple interface and it's easy to use."
    • "Ubuntu should create some specific features, like Red Hat. Red Hat has provided many features for open-source, like FreeIPA."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.
    KS
    Computer Manager at a university with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to scale and update with good scalability

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it for a file server and for MySQL servers. Those are my primary uses.

• "You can scale the solution quite well."
    • "The solution has a bit of a learning curve. It's not too high, however, you do need to understand the solution to deploy it and work with it effectively."

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the solution more for myself. I'm just an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with Linux. I'm using the latest stable version. If they publish a stable version and then they publish an experimental option, I won't use it. I'll stick with the stable option. It's not something that you run on the cloud. It's what's behind cloud services. I've got an Ubuntu machine at home that I use regularly, but it is also my MySQL server and a file server, all in one box. FileMaker, I know very well and MySQL, I'm learning quickly. Linux, I'm a beginner admin on it. I'm not in a position…
    Mukesh Regmi
    Co-Founder- Operation & Digital technology transformation at Cloudtreez
    Good interface and pretty stable but the initial setup can be difficult

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use it in my day to day work to test my products. There are a lot of open-source tools on the market, and I need this product to have something to deploy them on.

• "They have provided a new interface, which is great."
    • "You need a lot of bandwidth during the initial setup in order to pull from the repository. Without good bandwidth, you'll get cut off and the implementation will fail."

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend the solution. It's very popular among developers. It's worked quite well for us. Of course, solutions like Red Hat and CentOS also have good capabilities. For us, however, Unbuntu is the best. Overall, I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It offers me basically everything I need and has worked well for our team.
    LD
    Director Lean Infrastructure at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Easy installation without too much configuration; lacking support for graphic drivers

What is our primary use case?

I'm a customer of Ubuntu Linux and work as director lead infrastructure.

• "Doesn't require significant manual configuration."
    • "Could be better support for graphic drivers and support from the hardware lenders."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Ubuntu for any user looking to try Linux for the first time. And I believe that most of the things they need would be just working out of the box. I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.
    AA
    Operations Manager at a retailer with 201-500 employees
    Good user interface and a straightforward setup but have not used it long enough to really gauge its usefulness

• "The solution has a very good graphical user interface."
    • "After only a week of using the solution, we haven't really found any limitations or missing features."

What other advice do I have?

We've just installed Ubuntu very recently. I'm just trying to see how it is right now. We have it installed on Windows 10 Pro. While we use the on-premises version, we're very interested in exploring the cloud. I'm not sure just yet if I would recommend the product to others simply due to the fact that I've basically just started using it. I need at least a month of working on it in order to be able to tell if it works how we hope it will and if I would recommend it to others. Right now, I would recommend the solution at a six out of ten. I need more time to really analyze it properly.
    See 37 more Ubuntu Linux Reviews
    Download our free Ubuntu Linux Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.