Ashish Jaiswal
Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A stable tool with good monitoring features and support portal

• "This is a stable product and we definitely plan to continue using it in the future."
  • "More native support for other hardware is needed because having to install various extensions and perform extra setup for different devices is really challenging, and not as easy or straightforward as it is in other products."

What is our primary use case?

We work in the banking industry and we deal with business transactions, including responses for the users. We capture all of the traffic in our AppDynamics platform. It is a really good application tool.

What is most valuable?

Application monitoring is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We have been working with AppDynamics for almost two and a half years.

AppDynamics is really scalable. We have a private server on-premises and we haven't had any trouble with scaling. We have more than 1,000 people who are using it.

We use the support portal whenever we face an issue or any kind of problem, then we create a ticket and they assist us.

I am an IT monitoring specialist and I work with similar tools like Geneos and Splunk.

Geneos is straightforward and has different options for infrastructure monitoring. For example, if you have other hardware or memory, then these things are basic. With AppDynamics, these things require that we use extensions, follow the steps, and do the extra setup. These things are really challenging and it's not that easy to handle, the way it is with Geneos.

The people we know who are using Geneos are really happy with it and they think once or twice before moving to AppDynamics. In our case, we have moved to AppDynamics.

The initial setup is straightforward. We downloaded it from the AppDynamics resources, and they had already mentioned the installation steps. We followed the directions and it was easy to handle. It probably took about 30 minutes.

Although we deployed on-premises, we are planning on migrating to the cloud.

Initially, we had a consultant for the installation. Now, we do all of the upgrades by ourselves. We manage it with a team of four people.

The people who work on it are from my team, as well as from production and from pre-sales.

What other advice do I have?

This is absolutely a product that I would recommend to other users. I can see a lot of people are interested in using AppDynamics.

ES
Regional Director (CEER) at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Easy to gain visibility, effective root cause discovery, and highly scalable

• "It is easy to gain visibility into complex environments with AppDynamics. It has the ability to combine operation information of the environment and business information with strong business IQ support."
  • "The solution could improve by covering more technologies. For example, it does support .NET Core applications. However, it could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We are using AppDynamics for application management.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to gain visibility into complex environments with AppDynamics. It has the ability to combine operation information of the environment and business information with strong business IQ support.

The solution makes it easy to find the root cause of the problems and provided the visualization of data. It is really simple, useful, and intuitive.

It enables integration with other systems very easily. It can monitor applications of different technologies as well as manage log files.

It has a lot of capabilities and the solution features function well overall.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by covering more technologies. For example, it does support .NET Core applications. However, it could be a bit better. Additionally, there are some outdated technologies which are not covered out of the box with this solution, such as C++ which is old technology. They can be monitored but it takes a bit more effort. They have done a decent job but they could improve.

I have used AppDynamics for approximately seven years.

It is highly scalable. You can go from a small deployment into tens of thousands of nodes to monitor an application.

We provide support for this solution. We are the biggest AppDynamics partner in Europe, we have approximately 60 experts.

We work closely with research and development. They are quite quick and flexible when it comes to helping and supporting. We are quite satisfied. When we come from the field directly, we do not need months or weeks to fix issues that we have found or to implement new features. They have been excellent.

I am more in the pre-sales department, I am not that technical, but I do understand and know the basics. The installation difficulty depends on a variety of factors. it can be simple. Out of the box, it is already quite simple. However, there are tons of specifics that you need to know, but it is not overly difficult for typical environments. The software can add another layer of difficulty. Overall the difficulty is dependant on the environment.

For those who appreciate the value and had issues with the visibility of the performance of their applications, then the pricing is good. For somebody who does not need it, it can be pricey, but overall, it is worth the money which it costs.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AppDynamics a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about AppDynamics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MM
Senior Performance Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good documentation, easy to install, and provides valuable metrics we use for budgeting

• "AppDynamics is easy to implement if you follow the documentation, and the documentation that they provide is good."
  • "The agent deployment could be simplified by, for example, adding a GUI."

What is our primary use case?

We deployed our agents on the cloud for a Kubernetes application. We get the hardware details from the Azure and AWS monitoring. We import those matrices into AppDynamics and we see all of those details, along with our application performance detail, within the AppDynamics solution.

We are not using machine agents because we are making use of the Azure Monitoring and get the matrices from there.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the application performance. We have details such as CPU utilization and memory utilization, which we make use of to finalize the amount of CPU power or memory that we should allocate to our ports.

AppDynamics is easy to implement if you follow the documentation, and the documentation that they provide is good.

What needs improvement?

The agent deployment could be simplified by, for example, adding a GUI.

Correlation should be improved.

End-user monitoring should provide options for data collection, including using a JavaScript file or using a network request in the case of a mobile application.

It should automatically upload the mapping file.

I have been using AppDynamics for a few months.

This seems like a stable product and we plan to continue using it.

AppDynamics is scalable.

I would say that the support is 50/50. It is not very fast and there is definitely room for improvement in terms of support.

When we were installing it for the first time, it took us some time and we had some issues. One issue we faced was because we deployed all of the agents on all of the ports together. This created some problems, so the next time, we deployed it one by one. This is the process recommended by AppDynamics but somehow, we missed that part.

After that, it was stable and it continued working without any issues.

For the whole application, we were able to deploy in less than two hours.

We deployed it ourselves, although we had a consultant available online who was available for assistance. We didn't face any issues, other than deploying all of them at one time.

One technical person who has the details and information on the ports should be present. They need to know all of the commands that are used to deploy the agents.

MP
Head of IT Operations at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Reduces incidents and improves critical application uptime, but the SaaS environment is not stable

• "After a major incident, root cause analysis is conducted and, most of the time, we understand what caused the incident and how it can be prevented from happening again."
  • "The worst part is that the AppDynamics SaaS Environment has a lot of downtimes, and AppDynamics, despite our efforts, does not give us any feedback on these downtimes/incidents."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to help reduce incidents in our production environment by providing usage and performance metrics, application dependencies like databases, .net services, caching, and much more.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped us to reduce the number of incidents in our Production environment and improve the performance of applications.

The uptime of our critical applications went up, and it has enabled us to set new SLA metrics.

What is most valuable?

This solution makes it fast and easy to diagnose performance issues and exceptions/errors in application coding.

The Web Dashboards are also very useful and sometimes can really prevent incidents before they happen.

What needs improvement?

Upgrading application and machine agents on a large scale is a nightmare; we cannot push upgrades through the platform, meaning, manual upgrades each time a new major release is out. Each time we have a new major release, we need to do a Rollout.

The Mobile AppDynamics app is a "Thing of the Past". AppDynamics should evolve the features presented by it; redesign it. Dashboards are impossible to read, and drilling down issues through it is impossible.

Update: 04/2021 (4 years using AppD)

We still face outages in out SaaS controller... The feedback we get about each outage is really limited, and especially without sharing any improvement plan.

We have been using this solution for more than two years.

04/2021 Update (four years using AppD)

Poor stability of the SaaS environment.

Scaling this solution is fast and user-friendly.

Support for agent problems is accurate and fast.

Support for SaaS solution stability is very poor.

Setup was fast and straightforward.

We used a vendor partner team for our deployment, and we found them to be very skilled.

We have seen ROI in less than twelve months.

Tjeerd Saijoen
CEO at Rufusforyou
Reseller
Gives you a lot of room to develop, but automation should improve

• "The AppDyniamics technical support is good. We haven't had any problems with them. They answer very quickly."
  • "An area that has room for improvement on the CR and ERP would be the addition of monitoring of the internal solution. For example, you can monitor the day-to-day and everything in the transactions with AppDynamics, but there's also a lot going on in the kernel itself that you cannot monitor. The automation needs to improve as well. As it stands, a lot of customization needs to happen before you can use AppDynamics."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for AppDynamics is helping customers with performance problems and applications.

What is most valuable?

What I found is that there is a lot of room to develop things in it and to connect to other tools like IBM.

What needs improvement?

We have been using AppDynamics for four years.

AppDynamics is scalable for medium-sized companies, but it is more difficult for enterprise companies.

The AppDyniamics technical support is good. We haven't had any problems with them. They answer very quickly.

The initial setup was not really straightforward, but it was also not complex.

We handled the implementation in-house. The installation is not really an issue. You can install AppDynamics in an hour, but the configuration takes a long time before you have everything configured.

Return on investment for most tools takes a long time. Even then, I don't know if it's really the tools giving you a return on investment. Tools point to a problem, but they don't point to a solution. Your engineer needs to come up with a solution.

When deciding whether or not to go with AppDynamics, first take a look at what you need to monitor and what the value of the monitoring is. There are a lot of things that an organization may need to monitor, like, for example, if I have the power system on, I may need to monitor the microcode and the window system. However, AppDynanics doesn't monitor these kinds of things. There still need to be a lot of patches implemented in order to improve performance. Also, these tools give a false positive that the performance is wrong, but then only adjust one parameter in the microcode.

Yes, IBM APM, and Dynatrace

Abdulrahman Kazamel
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
User-friendly dashboard, and the Business Journey feature is helpful

• "The features that I like best are the dashboard and Business Journey."
  • "AppDynamics is dealing with a lot of products and technologies, so we need to have clear documentation."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and I am a presales engineer. AppDynamics is one of the products that we implement for our clients and have experience with.

At this time, I'm using it for training purposes, for the team.

What is most valuable?

The features that I like best are the dashboard and Business Journey.

What needs improvement?

The community support needs to be a little bit better.

In the future, I would like to see the inclusion of better programming language options. This would allow for wider use, and make it more versatile.

I have been working with AppDynamics for about nine months.

AppDynamics is stable and we haven't faced any bugs.

As we are not an AppDynamics end-user, our experience with technical support is different. At the same time, from a support perspective, I have dealt with the AppDynamics community. I would say that support from the community is good enough, although it is not amazing. I think that community support needs to be a little better.

We did not work with another similar solution prior to AppDynamics. We are a Cisco partner, so we keep moving forward with the same technology.

The first time I deployed AppDynamics wasn't very easy because I didn't have much experience with Linux. However, aside from the Linux-related issues, I found it totally easy.

The deployment is really quick, taking just two or three days. However, we need more time for configuration. If the deployment is good then the configuration will take about one more week.

We do the implementation in-house. We have three people who are working with it.

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics is a good product and I totally recommend it. Once you feel that you have the full journey for your end-users and you are tracking them, it's awesome. Overall, I am very happy with this product.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

YS
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
user friendly, broad feature range, and stable

• "AppDynamics has a very broad range of supported technologies, and it's user-friendly. It looks nice, and it's easy to sell the solution to the stakeholders when we can visualize how the website is working. For example, where we have any problems through visual analytics."
  • "The end-user experience is not really good because we can't catch all of the transactions. We only can catch the full stack of flow transactions, but I think that this is caused by the technology they use. If they will catch every transaction, it will cause a very big load on the performance of applications. The monitoring of all transactions needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use of this AppDynamics is to monitor customer applications, such as web applications. For example, to monitor the availability of online stores, and to figure out whether we have any problems.

What is most valuable?

AppDynamics has a very broad range of supported technologies, and it's user-friendly. It looks nice, and it's easy to sell the solution to the stakeholders when we can visualize how the website is working. For example, where we have any problems through visual analytics.

What needs improvement?

I have been using AppDynamics for approximately eight years.

The solution has been stable in my experience.

The solution is scalable. AppDynamics has been flexible enough for what I use it for.

I have not contacted support. We have only used our local distributors, and they have been good.

I have used an older version of Dynatrace previously.

The solution is easy to deploy if you know what you are doing. It was simple for me.

The price of AppDynamics could be reduced in my region.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others that want to implement this solution is to have a test environment, and then go to production. Sometimes it requires tuning of the software and restarting services a couple of times,  it's better to make all of these changes on a test environment, and then to move to production.

I have been using AppDynamics for approximately eight out of ten.

CY
Service Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalable, good performance monitoring, and excellent for enterprise-level organizations

• "It's good for a larger scale deployment such as what my company is working on."
  • "The initial setup could be easier."

What is most valuable?

The product is good for the enterprise SAS application performance monitoring. It's good for a larger scale deployment such as what my company is working on.

The solution is scalable.

What needs improvement?

The solution is complex.

We'd like the solution to offer more AI features.

The initial setup could be easier.

They need to improve the infrastructure and make it less complex. There are too many modules and components.

It would be helpful if the product had local support in our area.

We acquired the solution last year after we did a bit of research on its capabilities. We've been using it for a few months so far.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's a good product for large-scale projects and enterprises.

We don't have AppDynamics local support in my area. We only have a partner in my region, which is not really AppDynamics. In terms of the whole implementation, the experience, I wonder if the experience is good enough. I suspect a direct connection with AppDynamics might be better. If they had a product team in my region we might be better off.

The initial setup is not easy or straightforward. It's quite complex. You really need to have local support.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with AppDynamics.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been happy with its capabilities over the time we have used it.

I would recommend the solution, even with all of the complexity that it brings. However, I would advise new users or companies considering the product to make sure they have local support.

Download our free AppDynamics Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.