AppDynamics Overview

AppDynamics is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile APM tools. It is most often compared to Dynatrace: AppDynamics vs Dynatrace

What is AppDynamics?

AppDynamics is the Application Intelligence company. With AppDynamics, enterprises have real-time insights into application performance, user performance and business performance so they can move faster in an increasingly sophisticated, software-driven world. AppDynamics’ integrated suite of applications is built on its innovative, enterprise-grade App iQ Platform that enables its customers to make faster decisions that enhance customer engagement and improve operational and business performance. AppDynamics is uniquely positioned to enable enterprises to accelerate their digital transformations by actively monitoring, analyzing and optimizing complex application environments at scale.

AppDynamics is also known as AppD, AppDynamics APM.

AppDynamics Buyer's Guide

Download the AppDynamics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

AppDynamics Customers

Cisco, Sony, Nasdaq, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, Edmunds.com, Puma, Fox News, DirecTV, Pizza Hut, T-Systems, Cornell University, OpenTable, BITMARCK, Green Mountain Power, Care.com, Overstock, Paddy Power, eHarmony, Kraft, The Motley Fool, The Container Store, and more

See more customers

AppDynamics Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AppDynamics pricing:
  • "We do not have any issues with the price."

AppDynamics Reviews

Sid Roy
Vice President - Operations & Client Support at Scicom Infrastructure Services
May 6, 2020
We've had experience using Dynatrace, CA & Gomez but AppDynamics excels in terms of implementation, footprint & overhead.

What is our primary use case?

Extensive use cases, dozens of primary and secondary use cases ranging from core application monitoring at the global level to micro level performance analysis at the transaction level. AppD provides the ability to also manage total interactions at the web/mobile browser level, the database and core infrastructure including server level and L4 network.

• "Despite dozens of deployments across hundreds of applications- we have yet to see a case where AD is negatively impacting application execution or functionality."
  • "Additional support for NextGen mobile platforms also needs to be high in the roadmap prioritizations"

What other advice do I have?

Basically, you can't over-speak importance of deployment, configuration and infrastructure footprint because what happens is that people get excited when they see the output of various products (such as Dynatrace or CA Wiley). They say, "wow, it's very powerful, we've never had visibility, we're going to implement at all costs." Then they buy the solution and they realize they need 5X the amount of servers, a lot of storage, experts to manage it, etc.
AnandYadav
Sr Technical Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Dec 29, 2020
Provides a lot of insights, helps to track down a lot of issues, and works well out of the box

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for performance management. We are using its latest version. Right now, we are in the adoption stage. We are going through the training process, and slowly we will start using it. Initially, a team of 50 people will be using AppDynamics. Our goal is that all teams use AppDynamics so that we can benefit from it.

• "From the performance management side, I like everything from business transaction work to tracking. On the database side, we can get a lot of insights from the database. On the server monitoring side, it helped us a lot to find out some of the issues on the VM side because VMs were creating a little trouble for us."
  • "At this time, we don't have much visibility on the virtual environment, monitoring, and all other things. We have visibility only for database monitoring, and we have noticed performance impact when deploying database agents on the database server. We got to know this from AppDynamics support also that we should not deploy database agents from the database server. When agents are deployed on the same server and the database is monitored from there, we are not getting database server metrics. Therefore, we don't have those insights, and sometimes, we struggle because of that. They can improve this functionality so that we do not have a performance impact, and we can deploy anywhere. This would help us a lot. In terms of end-user monitoring, currently, it is not working for us because there are some complexities. It is a little complicated, and it takes a little bit of time to understand where you need to make changes. It would be very helpful if they can provide some template designs for end-user monitoring. When our servers are running on VMs, we don't get many insights from the VM side. I don't know whether it is possible to have visibility beyond the database, server, and application and whether there are some features where we can deploy AppDynamics on VMs as well. Such functionality would give us more control over storage, VM, OS, and database. It will also provide complete visibility of our hardware and software."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very much recommended tool. It is a really good and helpful tool for productivity. I would rate AppDynamics a nine out of ten. I love this tool, and I don't have any issues with this tool.
Find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Dynatrace, Broadcom and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: February 2021.
465,058 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1192215
Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Dec 17, 2020
A stable tool with good monitoring features and support portal

What is our primary use case?

We work in the banking industry and we deal with business transactions, including responses for the users. We capture all of the traffic in our AppDynamics platform. It is a really good application tool.

• "This is a stable product and we definitely plan to continue using it in the future."
  • "More native support for other hardware is needed because having to install various extensions and perform extra setup for different devices is really challenging, and not as easy or straightforward as it is in other products."

What other advice do I have?

This is absolutely a product that I would recommend to other users. I can see a lot of people are interested in using AppDynamics. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1463868
Senior Performance Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 13, 2021
Good documentation, easy to install, and provides valuable metrics we use for budgeting

What is our primary use case?

We deployed our agents on the cloud for a Kubernetes application. We get the hardware details from the Azure and AWS monitoring. We import those matrices into AppDynamics and we see all of those details, along with our application performance detail, within the AppDynamics solution. We are not using machine agents because we are making use of the Azure Monitoring and get the matrices from there.

• "AppDynamics is easy to implement if you follow the documentation, and the documentation that they provide is good."
  • "The agent deployment could be simplified by, for example, adding a GUI."

Abdulrahman Kazamel
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Nov 17, 2020
User-friendly dashboard, and the Business Journey feature is helpful

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and I am a presales engineer. AppDynamics is one of the products that we implement for our clients and have experience with. At this time, I'm using it for training purposes, for the team.

• "The features that I like best are the dashboard and Business Journey."
  • "AppDynamics is dealing with a lot of products and technologies, so we need to have clear documentation."

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics is a good product and I totally recommend it. Once you feel that you have the full journey for your end-users and you are tracking them, it's awesome. Overall, I am very happy with this product. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Marcos Pestana
IT Service and Infrastructure Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Aug 6, 2019
Reduces incidents and improves critical application uptime, but the SaaS environment is not stable

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to help reduce incidents in our production environment by providing usage and performance metrics, application dependencies like databases, net services, caching, and much more.

• "After a major incident, root cause analysis is conducted and, most of the time, we understand what caused the incident and how it can be prevented from happening again."
  • "The worst part is that the AppDynamics SaaS Environment has a lot of downtimes, and AppDynamics, despite our efforts, does not give us any feedback on these downtimes/incidents."
reviewer1497948
Associate Director, Application Performance Management Solution Design & Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Feb 11, 2021
Priced well, but the stability, scalability and support need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use AppDynamics in our company. I am the IT product manager, who is responsible for the design of the solution. We use this solution for application performance monitoring, byte code injection, and user experience monitoring, infrastructure, and database performance monitoring.

• "In 2014 and 2015, AppDynamics was one of the best products on the market."
  • "They need to improve the consolidation of agents for the agent's installation process."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution depending on what the use case is. If you want the latest, state of the art, including cloud-native monitoring and docker containers, I would recommend Kubernetes. I would rate AppDynamics a six out of ten.
reviewer1469784
Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Dec 29, 2020
Easy to use and install, with good instrumentation for performance testing, and good alerting

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for performance testing and transaction tracing.

• "The most valuable feature is the flow map."
  • "I would like to see more artificial intelligence and machine learning brought in to monitor the statement and payment sum issues we have."

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend this solution for others who are interested in using it for the alerting mechanism. Also, if they wanted to have more clarity regarding the application and the transactions that are stored, this product works well. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 4 more AppDynamics Reviews
Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Dynatrace, Broadcom, and more!