Office 365 Overview

Office 365 is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Content Collaboration Platforms. It is most often compared to Atlassian Confluence: Office 365 vs Atlassian Confluence

What is Office 365?

Office 365 is more than just Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. It provides powerful services like business-class email, online storage, and teamwork solutions that you can access from anywhere. Bring teams and resources together with solutions like Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business that make working together more productive and enjoyable regardless of where participants are located. Easily implement security and privacy controls to help protect business data and devices against malicious threats and help you meet your compliance obligations. Automatic updates ensure your employees will always have the latest features and security updates.

Office 365 is also known as Microsoft Office 365, Office 365 Enterprise, Office 365 Enterprise E1, Office 365 Enterprise E3, Office 365 Enterprise E5, Office 365 ProPlus, Office 365 Business, Office 365 Business Essentials, Office 365 Business Premium, Office 365 F1.

Office 365 Buyer's Guide

Download the Office 365 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Office 365 Customers

Me & the Bees Lemonade

Office 365 Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Office 365 pricing:
  • "The pricing is high and has actually caused us to limit the number of licenses we purchase due to budgeting."

Law Biddle
Vice President IT Services at Allegient Defense Inc
Great vulnerability insights, offers very impressive cash savings, and offers great information security tools

What is our primary use case?

We're using Microsoft Defender for endpoints. We went that route as we did have an IT service provider, however, they were very expensive. When we did a corporate merge at the beginning of 2019, we decided that we were going to go to Office 365 and do a one-stop-shop. We didn't want to have the on-prem equipment to maintain. In our last solution, we were limited as to what we could do for, for example, email addresses for the entire company, which were about 80 people. It was very costly to do that. Therefore, we only had our program managers and our site leads with email addresses. When we… more »

• "There are all sorts of really good tools for use on the information security side that allow us to make sure that our people are doing business and doing business right."
  • "It seems like every other week when we log into the administrative portals, it doesn't matter which one, it could be the active directory portal, it could be the exchange admin center or SharePoint admin center, it seems like Microsoft is consistently updating with new versions of the admin centers, which can be frustrating."

What other advice do I have?

We're an Office 365 shop. We do all of our stuff through Azure. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. If they were better on the administrative side, I'd likely rate them at a perfect ten out of ten.
Girish Vijay
Deputy Manager IT at Carl Bechem Lubricants India Pvt Ltd
The control aspects are top-notch, it could email quarantine details, block, and allow domains

What is our primary use case?

Email, Instant Messaging with Teams, Teams Video Conference & Mobile Outlook Application. Office 365 works very well with Microsoft Windows ECO system without any friction. Microsoft Teams video conference is a very good tool to have instant or scheduled video conferences, the quality of the video and audio is excellent but requires good internet bandwidth. As an email Admin, control aspects are top-notch, it could email quarantine details, block, allow domains, etc. especially Microsoft email filters (Spam, Malware, etc) with a basic standard subscription are on par with leaders in Email… more »

• "Quarantine email alerts to users to allow the email to their inbox (tricky but handy) - tricky if one doesn't have third-party email security, handy if one has got good third party email security)."
  • "Data protection and email security are almost the same for all the organizations, irrespective of their segment (SMB or enterprises), with standard subscription at least basic Data loss prevention and Advance threat protection can be enabled for SMB segments, it is available in enterprise version / Premium versions."

What other advice do I have?

Overall excellent product with great features, consider small and medium businesses to have at least basic ATP and DLP features.
Learn what your peers think about Office 365. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ZM
Head of Solutions Delivery (Systems) at a wellness & fitness company with 201-500 employees
A great all-in-one solution that's stable and has a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily for collaboration across teams. We use it to collaborate either via email or we use Teams quite a lot. For all of our meetings, we are now using Teams. Then we use the planner boards and things in Teams as well for keeping track of the work that we need to do.

• "It's nice that it's an all-in-one solution and everything is all in one place."
  • "The one big problem with the solution is if you are presenting in Teams and someone puts their hand up, you don't get a notification. If you are running a meeting and just presenting you don't know that people have their hands up and want to ask a question."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We do not have a partnership with Microsoft. I'm not sure which version of the solution we are currently using. I'd recommend this solution to other organizations. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Michael Ndwiga
IT Officer at Kim-Fay EA Ltd
A good, complete and secure suite of products for standard business tasks

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the product is for performing office tasks like word processing for critical business staff. I work with the product mostly from the administrative side but also have experience using the product itself.

• "The products are quite simple for the end-users to use, the up-time is very good, the product is practically maintenance-free, and the multi-layer security is excellent from the security standpoint."
  • "The online applications have limited functionality compared to the local applications."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to others who are looking into implementing Office 365 is that this solution is a good one for anybody needing a scalable, stable solution with good uptime. It is virtually a worry-free solution especially from the standpoint of IT administrators. On the scale from one to ten, with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate this product as a nine-out-of-ten. I would rate OneDrive as a nine as well.
Mostafa
System Administrator at Suez Canal Insurance
Review about Office 365 Enterprise
Office 365 is one of my most used applications. I love the way that I can leverage the Cloud capabilities of my Office applications to access from anywhere. I have access from my phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, etc., and it is always easy. Outlook is nice when I do not have access to laptop or phone (rare), and One Drive is my file collaboration solution. Although I like the functionality of One Drive, it can be frustrating if your IT team goes overboard on security. :) The single-sign-on we utilize at work keeps me signed in to all apps, and the applications load quickly and efficiently. Office 365 plus the 64-bit 2016 versions of the Office desktop applications is a great combination that I could not function without. I use Outlook, One Drive, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Yammer and Skype…
NS
Cloud Security Lead at a security firm with 1-10 employees
Extremely reliable with an all-encompassing suite of features

What is our primary use case?

My use case is mainly the email solution of Office 365. I use the exchange online for my emails, corporate emails. I use OneDrive for saving my data on the internet, and the other good features are Excel, Word and PowerPoint online, which allows me to create online documents. I also sometimes use Microsoft Teams within Office 365. We generally use Teams for our video conference meetings and presentation meetings. We also sometimes use SharePoint to share documents with people outside our organization. I am a cloud security lead and we are users of Office 365.

• "Reliable without any glitches."
  • "Could include integration with other single sign-on solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Moshe Golan
BI/Qlikview Architect at DataForce Ltd.
Great for building formulas, good integration with other apps, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for Excel, for analyzing data, and PowerPoint, for presentations.

• "The integration with other applications is pretty good."
  • "If two people update the same file, it causes issues."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft customer. We don't have a business relationship with them. I believe I'm using the 2019 version of the solution. While this version is on-premise, it's my understanding that the organization is testing the cloud version for future deployment. I would certainly recommend this product to others. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Giancarlo Proença
User
Multi-user editing and integration with OneDrive brings better focus and efficiency

What is our primary use case?

Our team is comprised of five people in a small consultant firm. Office 365 allows for all team members to work on the same files at the same time on OneDrive while using the market standards (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) for file editing and creation. We've experimented with free options, but there is no point of trying to work in a file format that is different from that of our clients. That's the main reason that led us to Office 365. All of our workstations are Windows 10 and Office runs perfectly.

• "The most valuable feature is the integration with OneDrive, which has allowed us, a small business, easy access to a cloud environment, with no need to back up the data from five different computers."
  • "Integration between Outlook calendar and Google Calendar would be a good improvement since many of our team use Android phones and personal Gmail accounts as their main calendar application."

What other advice do I have?

If you need, reach out to MS support. They were really helpful in setting things up for our team.
See 9 more Office 365 Reviews