CF
Cloud Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
A robust cloud solution that's intuitive, user-friendly, and cost-effective

• "Amazon AWS is user-friendly and intuitive."
  • "The pricing structure can be improved and made more straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

There are different use cases. I have worked on backup and recovery, migrations, created new user accounts from scratch, security and compliance, PCI DSS compliance, and CIS benchmark compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

We are dependent on AWS 100%, and it has definitely improved our organization.

What is most valuable?

It isn't easy to choose a feature as it all depends. For example, there might be a feature for a specific use case. Amazon has many use cases and many deployment types. But overall, Amazon AWS is user-friendly and intuitive. It's also quite secure. The interface is okay and integrates well with other products.

What needs improvement?

The pricing structure can be improved and made more straightforward. There are so many options, and you have to make several choices before confirming the final cost.

I have used Amazon AWS for about four years.

AWS is the most scalable and reliable cloud computing solution out there.

Tech support is amazing.

The initial setup for Amazon AWS is straightforward.

Amazon AWS is really cost-effective. But the number of choices that you have to make can make the pricing very difficult. You have so many options, so it can be quite difficult to get into pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential AWS customers to get the right training for the right solution. The training is, for the most part, pretty easy. It's easier than having a private data center.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS a ten.

ES
Regional Business Manager - North Latam - Public Sector - Amazon Web Services (AWS) at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Offers a very valuable machine learning service

• "Machine learning is a valuable feature."
  • "The solution could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We advise our clients on using AWS services. It has many applications; in health care with regard to patient medical history. Some use it for hosting, SAP and V-ware. Those are the most common uses for our clients. We are resellers and I'm the operations director.

What is most valuable?

I think machine learning is one of the most used and most valuable services, especially in scientific research. The solution is evolving all the time.

What needs improvement?

Some of the services are hard to use so I think a more user-friendly interface would be helpful.

The solution is stable.

The solution is very scalable.

Amazon offers different support plans. We have enterprise support and they generally get back to us within half an hour. The escalation process is very fast, because they know that there is a critical platform involved. They generally offer a high level of support.

The initial setup is not too complex but it's not straightforward either, somewhere in the middle. In terms of deployment time, it can be anywhere between a few minutes and a week, depending on what you need.

What other advice do I have?

Training is critical before implementing the solution. There are very good AWS certifications like the certified practitioner, and there's a lot of free training on the AWS webpage that customers can use. Most of the training is hands-on so you can experience how things would be done in a work environment. AWS recently deployed 100 free courses on amazon.com to help people better understand their products. I would recommend looking at those.

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AT
Senior Vice President Information Technology at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Issue-free with good performance and a relatively simple setup

• "It's very stable and the performance is good."
  • "The solution can get to be a little expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for our core applications and our core infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The product offers a lot of functionality.

Our vendor who provides us a specific core application uses AWS and it's just simple for us if we use it too.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The solution has been issue-free. It's very stable and the performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution can get to be a little expensive.

I've been using the solution for a year and a half.

The product is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. The performance is good.

We have about 100 users on the solution right now.

Technical support is good. We have had no issues with them. We are satisfied with their service.

We also use Microsoft Azure.

The initial implementation process is pretty simple and easy. It's not complex or overly difficult. A company shouldn't have any issues with the deployment process.

The costs could always be lowered.

How often we pay can vary, depending on the exact service. We pay, for example, both yearly and monthly.

What other advice do I have?

As a cloud-based solution, we are using the latest version all the time.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

AshokPolapragada
Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
An on-demand cloud computing platform with a useful storage feature, but the price could be better

• "I like the storage, all the codes like Lambda and Amazon EMR."
  • "The price could be better."

What is most valuable?

I like the storage, all the codes like Lambda and Amazon EMR.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better.

I have been working with Amazon AWS for seven to eight years.

Amazon AWS is a stable solution.

Amazon AWS is scalable. Scalability has been good for us.

I didn't take part in the initial setup on a very hands-on level. However, I hear from my architects and the development team that it's straightforward.

It could be cheaper, and Amazon could also be more transparent with its pricing. I would first expect any product vendor to give me the utmost transparency on pricing information. There shouldn't be any hidden costs.

Their service offerings have a bit of segmentation, and they focus more on SMBs. They brought them onto the cloud and encouraged them to use solutions on the cloud. But strategically, they should probably improve that and offer some credits.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users to use Azure if they want more stability, but I always warn about the costs. That's why I don't bring infrastructure to the business, and I find the customers with their own environment. There are multiple portions, and it's not straightforward for anybody to do. That's the bad side of it, but anybody can prepare.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS a seven.

Private Cloud

FM
Corporate IT Applications Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Robust, easy straightforward, and works well for our e-commerce solution

• "The stability is magnificent, it's spectacular."
  • "When you are first starting, the initial setup can be a bit complex, but it gets easier after that."

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon AWS as an IaaS Cloud for our e-commerce sites.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of the stability and scalability AWS provides, our team can now focus on how to engage and delight our customers instead of constantly being fixing production issues.

What is most valuable?

We have not had any problems at all.

In the 4 years that we have been using  IaaS services from Amazon, we have not had any issues.

It's a great IaaS cloud. They are the leaders. No cloud provider can match Amazon right now.

Other providers are improving year over year, but Amazon is still ahead at least two years.

What needs improvement?

Working with AWS requieres your organization to invest in training your team to better use and take advantaje of all that AWS has to offer.

We have been using this solution for 4 years.

AWS provides without a doubt the most mature and stable IaaS cloud in the market.

We have thousands of customers who are going to our websites to purchase goods and it takes a matter of minutes to scale the infrastructure both horizontally or vertically.

Great services, assistance and response time from the AWS team

It depends on how complex is the architecture of the solution to be deployed, in our case because Magento is sort of "native" for AWS it has been straightforward.

We implement through a vendor team specialized implementing and managing Magento on AWS

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon AWS a ten out of ten.

HimanshuTejwani
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Plenty of services, simple to understand, with significant support

What is our primary use case?

There are different services, approximately 150 of them, this solution can provide. There are a few services I most commonly use. I am using it for the virtual servers, Lightsail which are lightweight virtual servers, and a simple storage service which is called S3.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features I have found to be the virtual server is easy to understand, a secure environment, and AWS has a fast community for finding solutions to problems you might be facing.

I have been using the solution for three years.

We have approximately 15 users using the solution in my organization.

What is most valuable?

I have been using the solution for three years.

We have approximately 15 users using the solution in my organization.

The scalability of the solution all depends on the services that you are using. It is very easy to scale in the cloud if you want to launch multiple servers and if you want to vertically or horizontally scale up the servers. It can support many environments such as Windows and Linux.

The support is fast at responding and resolving issues.

I have used Microsoft Azure and DigitalOcean previously.

The solution is an on-demand service. There is a monthly billing requirement which is for the virtual machines we currently use.

The solution is expensive compared to other providers because you need many of the services and it can add up fast.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to others and I plan to use the solution in the future.

I rate Amazon AWS a ten out of ten.

CS
Arquiteto de Soluções at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A complete cloud infrastructure solution with many valuable features and great scalability and stability

• "It has several valuable features, but the load balancer, auto-scaling, and RDS database are the main ones. It is a complete cloud infrastructure solution."
  • "In terms of technical features, I don't see anything missing. The only two points in favor of other providers are the price and local support. The main problem that we see here in Brazil is the price. It is much more expensive than any other cloud provider. Their local support can also be better. We get more support from some of the other providers here in Brazil as compared to AWS."

What is our primary use case?

We have migrated on-premises infrastructure for a customer to the AWS cloud with different workloads, such as Windows, Linux, Oracle, and SQL Server. It is a public and hybrid cloud deployment.

What is most valuable?

It has several valuable features, but the load balancer, auto-scaling, and RDS database are the main ones. It is a complete cloud infrastructure solution.

What needs improvement?

Their local support can also be better. We get more support from some of the other providers here in Brazil as compared to AWS.

It is very stable. There are no problems with its stability.

Its scalability is perfect and great. We have around 300 users.

Their technical support is okay, but it can be better. This is something for which there is room for improvement. We get more support from some of the other providers as compared to AWS.

It had medium complexity. It was not too complex, but it is never simple to migrate to the cloud. It took three months.

Several people were involved in its deployment. We had 13 people in total. There were about eight people from our side and maybe five people from the customer side.

It is much more expensive than any other cloud provider.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten.

GG
Founder & Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Intuitive, reliable, and easy and quick to deploy

• "It is intuitive, easy to deploy, and rather quick to deploy and set up. There are a number of native services in the ecosystem. These services are built into the cloud and are mature enough to support you in many ways."
  • "Amazon still has room for improvement in terms of being more mature on the monitoring side and in terms of the native capabilities. Amazon should get their services portfolio stronger on OEM-based workloads such as Microsoft and Oracle. There are a lot of areas that still do not have offerings, so there is room to grow. I would be happy if they bring more maturity to the monitoring capabilities and SaaS offerings. They are strong on Infrastructure as a Service, but they are not mature on SaaS."

What is most valuable?

It is intuitive, easy to deploy, and rather quick to deploy and set up. There are a number of native services in the ecosystem. These services are built into the cloud and are mature enough to support you in many ways.

It is relatively secure and definitely reliable for uptime.

What needs improvement?

Amazon still has room for improvement in terms of being more mature on the monitoring side and in terms of the native capabilities. Amazon should get their services portfolio stronger on OEM-based workloads such as Microsoft and Oracle. There are a lot of areas that still do not have offerings, so there is room to grow. I would be happy if they bring more maturity to the monitoring capabilities and SaaS offerings. They are strong on Infrastructure as a Service, but they are not mature on SaaS.

Amazon is not at all a partner-friendly company. Support from Amazon is not at all good as a partner.

We are a technology consulting and managed services company. For our customers, we've been designing solutions on Amazon Cloud for almost seven years.

It has been stable so far.

It is scalable.

Support from Amazon is not at all good as a partner. We wouldn't lose sleep by not working with them as a partner, but we would continue to work on that technology. It is not at all a partner-friendly company.

It is easy to deploy. You can quickly deploy and set it up.

What other advice do I have?

Considering the product, support, service, and maturity, I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of 10.

Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.