AA
Founder at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Easy to sue, simple to install, and offers good scalability

• "The pricing aspect of the product is pretty reasonable. It's not overly expensive."
  • "The usability of the solution could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for web hosting.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The stability of the product is great.

We have found the scalability to be very good.

Installing the solution isn't a difficult process. It's easy.

What needs improvement?

The usability of the solution could be a bit better.

I've been using the solution for about one year. It hasn't been that long.

The performance of the solution is good. It's stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so quite easily.

We have three people using the solution currently.

I've never actually reached out to technical support. Therefore I can't speak to how good they are at assisting clients.

We find the initial setup to be pretty straightforward. It's not overly difficult or complex.

The amount of time it takes to deploy the solution differs from company to company. However, if you would just like to just set up a server, it only takes about ten minutes.

I handled the installation myself. I did not need any integrator or consultant assistance. It was all done in-house.

The pricing of the product isn't overly expensive. It's basically set up as a pay-as-you-go. Therefore you're only paying for what you need and use.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We have been quite happy with the solution and its capabilities.

I would recommend it to other users and other organizations.

KK
Staff Engineer at Commonwealth Bank
Aligns well with Agile and DevOps practices to help deliver applications faster to market

• "There are a lot of features that I really like including ease of deployment, ease of build and release, and also that it is heavily focused on a PaaS or SaaS model."
  • "One of the problems that I have seen is that some of the products are not as mature as others."

What is our primary use case?

We provide services to clients using Amazon AWS and I've also used it for our own applications.

How has it helped my organization?

AWS aligns very well with agile and DevOps practices, as well as and cloud-native principles like infrastructure as code. In short, it helps me deliver my product faster to market.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features that I really like including ease of deployment, ease of build and release, and also that it is heavily focused on a PaaS or SaaS model. All I have to worry about is my application and not about the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems that I have seen is that some of the products are not as mature as others. For example, their API Gateway is not as mature as Kong, and their version control system is not at mature as GitHub. It's the same thing with their databases like DynamoDB, which is not as mature as MongoDB. Once we have equality in products between on-premises and cloud, this system will be a very good proposition.

I have been working with Amazon AWS for about five years.

As the majority of products on AWS are PaaS or SaaS offerings, scalability is not a big concern. For some of the services, you have to give them notice if you want to scale them beyond certain limits.

I have been in contact with technical support and they are quite good at responding.

The initial setup is not complex. In fact, I would say that it is relatively easy.

The time required for deployment depends on which products are selected. Some take minutes, whereas others can take hours.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering AWS is to try exploring and use it. I think that it will save you a lot of time.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SB
Senior Architect, Technology Transformation Group at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use with good performance and good technical support

• "The product is nice and stable. Its performance is great."
  • "The solution could offer better integration capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

Web developers use the solution for application building, modernization, cloud transformation, new development, and budget solutions. It has a wide variety of use cases.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The product is nice and stable. Its performance is great.

The technical support has been good.

What needs improvement?

The solution could offer better integration capabilities.

The pricing is a bit high. It's an aspect they could improve upon.

I don't use it in my current organization. I used to use it in my earlier organization. In fact, I don't really use it, however, we used to consult on it. I've been a consultant for about a year or so.

The product is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is great.

At my organization, there are around 100 users on the solution.

Technical support has been good. I have not heard of any customer complaints. It's my understanding that they are helpful and responsive and users are satisfied with their level of service.

I was not a part of the installation process. I cannot speak to how easy or difficult the implementation was. I have no visibility on that aspect. I'm not sure what the makeup of the technical team was or how many people were used to deploy it.

The price of the solution can get expensive. They could work to lower it for their clients.

Those that use the licensing do need to pay a fee. It can be paid on a yearly or monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I've worked as a consultant.

We've been quite pleased with its capabilities. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend the product to other users or companies.

GS
Product Owner for AWS and DevOps at Sunlight Financial
Stable and priced well, but technical support needs to be more proactive

• "Amazon AWS is very stable."
  • "They should implement the command shell by default. As it is now, to open the console, you have to download the command application."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in our company and for our clients' companies.

What is most valuable?

I like the IAM, the directory, and the storage.

What needs improvement?

They should implement the command shell by default. As it is now, to open the console, you have to download the command application. When you compare with GCP, they have the command shell inbuilt.

It would make it more seamless for the administrator to include this. There are times where the machine is not connecting and you can't wait for the RDP because you have to create them quickly.

Building a shell directly from the console is a good solution. This is missing by default. there are ways that it can be done and integrated.

I have been working with Amazon AWS for six years.

Amazon AWS is very stable.

It is a scalable solution, but you can only scale-out. You can't scale up.

We have approximately 200 users in our company who are using it.

Technical support could be improved, they could be better. We don't get SLA with AWS.

They give us a specific time for a solution but they don't advise further. We have to check to see if the issue has been resolved. There should be an automatic email to notify us that the issue has been resolved, by default.

The need to work on proactiveness.

I also work with GCP and with Azure.

The initial setup is easy. It is not complex.

We have a team of 50 people who maintain all of our solutions. It's spread across the team to run 24/7.

The pricing is one of the best in the segment.

They have actually reduced their prices, with the exception of the MLD which has increased.

It's by design itself.

They have placed the pricing well for a reduced market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon AWS a seven out of ten.

TG
Vice President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A cloud computing platform that's easy to use, but the price could be better

• "I like that it's easy to use."
  • "They could lower the cost. The setup could also be easier."

What is our primary use case?

We use AWS for product development, testing, and storage management.

How has it helped my organization?

AWS has improved our organization by driving efficiency in our product development cycles.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

They could lower the cost. The setup could also be easier.

I've been using Amazon AWS for about five years.

AWS is fairly stable. There are always some issues, but not much.

AWS scales fine most of the time. It's just expensive.

We've used Azure, we've used Google Cloud, we've used DigitalOcean, and we used SoftLayer. We're primarily using AWS because 75% or 80% of people use AWS, and we want our product to run optimized on AWS.

The initial setup is relative. It's easier than others, but it could always be easier.

It's expensive. It costs you an arm and a leg. It's just about your expertise to do it on-prem versus in the cloud. I think it's more cost-effective to do it on-prem, but not everybody has a lab or the capital equipment budget to staff a lab. So, they are defaulting to using a service.

That's the trade-off. If you're going to scale, most of the time, people are going to build it in-house. To get development started and to get things moving quickly, the cloud providers offer a valuable service. The biggest charge is for storage, moving data back and forth, and the ingress and egress charges.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that there's a learning curve, but it definitely works.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS a solid seven.

AT
Regional Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Easy to set up with good stability and the capability to scale

• "The stability of the solution is very good."
  • "The pricing of AWS is very unclear. They make it quite confusing."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to deploy our systems in the Cloud. It could be virtual machines, containers, and servers as well.

What is most valuable?

We've been using EasyTune for elastic computing and it has been very helpful. It's the feature we're using the most right now.

In general, the solution works quite well.

The product is very easy to set up.

The stability of the solution is very good.

The solution scales well.

Overall, the solution is quite complete. There aren't any missing features.

What needs improvement?

The cost management is too complex right now.

The pricing of AWS is very unclear. They make it quite confusing. They need to make the cost structure easier to understand.

We've been using the solution for two years or so at this point. It's been a couple of years.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is quite scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so relatively easily.

We have around 50 or so users on the solution currently.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's very easy. The setup is straightforward.

Being on the cloud, the deployment is very fast. It only takes a few minutes.

The pricing is confusing. Sometimes there are hidden charges.

What other advice do I have?

We are AWS partners.

We're always using the latest version of the solution. As a cloud-based solution, it constantly updates itself to the latest version.

I'd advise users considering the solution that they really need to understand the costs and how they work with AWS. At some point, it can get confusing and it can lead to companies dealing with hidden charges.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. If it wasn't for cost management, I would rate it higher.

Safalya Mitra
Vice President - Services at Locuz Enterprise Solutions Ltd
Scalable as per the needs, quite stable, and priced based on the actual consumption of resources

• "It is highly available and on-demand. So, you can scale up and scale down whenever required."
  • "They're really good on the business computing side, but there are other services where they can do really well. They can improve the data analytics platform and the data warehousing platform."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for hosting some of our workloads. We offer managed services for our customers, mostly in the space of security in managed IT services, and some of these workloads are hosted on AWS.

What is most valuable?

Another thing that really attracts us is the pricing, which is based on the actual consumption of resources, and that's what really helps us.

What needs improvement?

They're really good on the business computing side, but there are other services where they can do really well. They can improve the data analytics platform and the data warehousing platform.

Its pricing can be simplified a little bit more.

I have been using this solution for more than three years.

It is quite stable. We did not find any challenge in the reliability of the platform.

We do contact their tech support, and we get the help whenever it is required. We are pretty much satisfied with them.

It was not too complex. We are very straightforward and not too complex in terms of our infrastructure.

Its pricing can be simplified a little bit more. Even though they have been reducing it, I still believe they can do better as compared to GCP, Google Cloud.

What other advice do I have?

We advise people to go on AWS. We also do a readiness assessment for our customers. We do a kind of a TCO analysis for our customers, and depending on the use case, workload, and pricing model, we advise our customers. We do it for AWS, Azure, and GCP. I would expect customers to do the same thing. They should do a proper analysis because it depends on what workloads they want to move to the cloud. Based on that, they should select a hyperscaler.

I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of 10.

Pankaj Kankar
Chief Operating Officer at FarEye Digital Logistics
Solid solution that offers a wide variety of features

• "The main feature that I like the most is the variety of solutions that it provides. It provides some analysis, business information and more. It provides a wide variety of services."
  • "One area that could be improved is in data management. They could improve on the data side. For example, I see others with better cloud services and larger data computing capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

It is on the public cloud and we are using it for multiple purposes, including data storage and production.

What is most valuable?

The main feature that I like the most is the variety of solutions that it provides. It provides some analysis, business information and more. It provides a wide variety of services.

What needs improvement?

One area that could be improved is in data management. They could improve on the data side. For example, I see others with better cloud services and larger data computing capabilities.

We have been using Amazon AWS around four or five years now.

We use it as a customer.

I think the scalability on the computer side is good, not too much of a challenge. It is sometimes on the database side where we encounter challenges on the scalability. Sometimes it is not easy to scale beyond that point and we get a scalability error on the computer.

We have around 10 people working on it who do the maintenance, automation, and monitoring.

I would say support is average.

A lot of times I would prefer a better turnaround time in terms of the response we're getting, it should be faster. Often we have to wait a long time before the problem is solved. So it is generally a very poor product resolution.

My initial setup was quite straightforward.

I implemented it myself with one other person.

What other advice do I have?

I would say to somebody who is moving to the cloud that it is very easy to start with. At the same time it is also important to make sure they have a very strong partner or a very strong team in-house.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Amazon AWS an eight on product and technology. But overall I would rate them seven if I include services and support.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.