VG
Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, with a variety of setup options and good technical support

• "The support is always very helpful and responsive."
  • "The setup process can be a bit complex."

What is most valuable?

We are fine with the performance and everything they offer.

They are the market leader, therefore we don't have any problems or complaints as of now.

The support is always very helpful and responsive.

The solution is very flexible. It offers a variety of setups.

The stability is good.

What needs improvement?

While we get some performance issues from time to time, we get very good support from the Oracle support team, and those issues are sorted out.

The setup process can be a bit complex. You will want to have someone on-side that can help you navigate the process.

I've been working with the solution for 20 years.

For the most part, the performance is good and it offers good stability. There aren't really bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

It's a market leader in RDBMS. It is quite good, compared to other RDBMS such as Db2, SQL Server, or PostgreSQL.

Technical support has been great. As part of operations, people just get some issues, sometimes, however, there might be different reasons for that that may not be related to Oracle itself. Overall we are fine with all the services it offers.

This is a very, very vast database, and it offers a lot of architecture. We can go for grid architecture or rack architecture. We can go for the long architecture or we can go with a simple standalone database. Depending on what an organization wants, we can adapt. However, the implementation also depends on what you want or your organization wants. If you're looking for very complex data centers, for example, having one of the primary databases running in London, and your secondary database or DR site running in Singapore, and both are running on a different rack, you can do that, however, the setup process will be unique to you. There isn't a standard time it takes. It offers a lot of flexibility. Obviously, if you go for the high scalability, high availability, all those features, which are provided by Oracle, then it becomes slightly complex, and we need a dedicated team to handle all those setups.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the requirement of RDBMS and if you're posting logs there, then, I would suggest that you should go for Oracle. It all depends on your organization's technology roadmap. If a company is more inclined towards Microsoft technology, and they're inclined to Azure cloud, then probably they should go with an SQL Server. However, if they're inclined towards AWS or if they don't have any such consent, and if their costing allows, then Oracle is the best bet.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

KG
Associate Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Good performance, good security, and user-friendly

• "It is user-friendly. Its performance and security are also very good. There are 300 million records for our one-year data, and we can easily query this data. You can use Oracle Database as a source for easily integrating with different databases and applications. It supports Java platforms and other applications very well. It works with SAP products better than Microsoft SQL Server."
  • "It should have more monitoring features. There should be features to be able to analyze the performance with a query. In Microsoft SQL Server, when you are running any stored procedure, if you want to analyze the performance, you just run the query analyzer. You can easily find out that something is missing in a joint condition, or clustering needs to be added because of a delay. I can't find such features in Oracle Database. They should be added."

What is our primary use case?

We have started using it recently, and I don't have any use cases as of now. We are just taking the data from Oracle Database and pushing it to the further layers. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is user-friendly. Its performance and security are also very good. There are 300 million records for our one-year data, and we can easily query this data.

You can use Oracle Database as a source for easily integrating with different databases and applications. It supports Java platforms and other applications very well. It works with SAP products better than Microsoft SQL Server.

What needs improvement?

It should have more monitoring features. There should be features to be able to analyze the performance with a query. In Microsoft SQL Server, when you are running any stored procedure, if you want to analyze the performance, you just run the query analyzer. You can easily find out that something is missing in a joint condition, or clustering needs to be added because of a delay. I can't find such features in Oracle Database. They should be added.

I have been using Oracle Database for the past three months.

It is stable.

It is scalable. Currently, about 30 people are using it. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

We have never interacted with them. We are just taking the data from Oracle Database and pushing it to the further layers. We don't find any issues over there, and technical support isn't needed as such.

It was pre-installed. We were given virtual machines for our team, and we are able to just access it through them. We get the user id and password, and we just install that ODBC driver and easily connect to it.

We don't have any rights to install such solutions. We just raise a request for installation. We don't have any authority to install or configure anything. For its deployment and maintenance, there is no need for a technical team because it is pre-installed, and we just use it. No support is required for this, and there is no need for a technical team.

It was purchased by our client. It might have been a one-time payment. It doesn't seem to be very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Everything is good in Oracle Database. It is very good performance-wise, and that's the reason most people prefer Oracle Database.

I would rate Oracle Database a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AG
Delivery Head IT & IS at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
It provides scalability, stability, reliability, performance, and security

• "Scalability, reliability, and performance are what we are getting with this solution. It is highly scalable and has very good performance. It also has in-built monitoring and optimized optimizer. It is quite stable and secure. When it comes to integration, you can integrate it with other tools as well. However, we have been using Oracle Database within our own premises. So, it is kind of difficult for us to basically do a kind of integration with the outside software. We prefer to do things within our own premises."
  • "There are SQL plan flips that are happening with version 12c. We would basically like to have the next version wherein we don't see such plan flips because they create performance issues. There are quite a lot of features that I would like to see, but this is the main one for now."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using it for software. We have a lot of software applications that are connected to this database.

What is most valuable?

Scalability, reliability, and performance are what we are getting with this solution. It is highly scalable and has very good performance. It also has in-built monitoring and optimized optimizer.

What needs improvement?

There are SQL plan flips that are happening with version 12c. We would basically like to have the next version wherein we don't see such plan flips because they create performance issues. There are quite a lot of features that I would like to see, but this is the main one for now.

It has been over 20 years since we have been using Oracle Database.

It is absolutely stable.

It is highly scalable. It is scalable to the best of our needs. We have around 10,000 to 12,000 users.

We have three levels of technical support. The L1 level support is in-house. For L2 level support, we have an infrastructure team. For L3 level support, we have a contract with Oracle, and whenever we need it, we get their input.

We have been using Oracle since the time I have been working in this organization. I am not sure what was used previously. I am aware of 20 years, which is quite a long time.

It was very easy to install. It takes around two hours. This is a production database, so there have been a lot of validations. We do a lot of pre validations and post validations.

For these kinds of installations, we have an infrastructure team. We have people here who do the installation. We have four trained Oracle Database administrators.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. Oracle is already an established product. It doesn't depend on my recommendation.

We will keep using this solution because we need to keep our data within our premises for our business model. As of now, we have no plans to go to the cloud and use any of the cloud services.

I would rate Oracle Database a nine out of ten.

NM
Oracle Application Database Administrator at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great data replication with good scalability and a straightforward setup

• "You can scale the solution without any issues."
  • "The solution is very, very expensive. This keeps it as a niche product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for Oracle E-Business suites. It's the database for ERP.

What is most valuable?

The data replication is the most valuable aspects of the solution. We've got Oracle Data Guard set up and we've got two sites - one in Johannesburg and one in Cape Town. We do data replication every 30 minutes from one site to the other.

The initial setup is straightforward.

You can scale the solution without any issues.

The great thing about the solution is that it comes with pretty much everything. SQL Developer is part of it, and you can scale databases from 20 users to 50,000 users. It's actually a very solid database.

What needs improvement?

The listener could be improved. The listener could be far more easily configurable. If you want to change ports or add a fail-over listener, it could be a little bit more seamless.

The solution is very, very expensive. This keeps it as a niche product.

I've been using Oracle for 15 or 20 years. It's been well over a decade and maybe as much as two. It's been a while.

The solution can really scale if you need it to. We've scaled it up a few times in the environment and we've never had any issue. From that point of view, everything seems to be good.

We have about 2,500 users on the solution.

We've been in touch with Oracle on a daily basis. We just moved to another version. They really helped us. They were helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of support we receive.

The initial setup is not complex. it's very straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation process. It's very easy.

We have our own team that handles the maintenance as necessary.

It's really expensive, however, that's what makes Oracle a niche player. It's not something every company can have its own. It's for the elite, it's for the prestige. It's for the ones who really do good business.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users.

Recently, we've upgraded EBS to a later version.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. That said, it all depends on what you're trying to support. I use it in conjunction with their EBS, so, for me, it's the perfect fit. You can't split it anyway. Oracle EBS only works with an Oracle Database.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten overall.

VM
Oracle DBA at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Performance tuning feature provides useful hints and indexing

• "I love the performance tuning feature of Oracle Database because it provides hints and indexing, which are very valuable. Some of its other valuable features are its rack, record key vaults, and backup compression."
  • "Oracle is very expensive. So if I suggest Oracle to a client, they'll often say it's too costly."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Database in cases where there is a high volume of transactions and to improve the performance for high availability. We're an IBR company, so we're working mostly with call centers.

What is most valuable?

I love the performance tuning feature of Oracle Database because it provides hints and indexing, which are very valuable. Some of its other valuable features are its rack, record key vaults, and backup compression.

What needs improvement?

I'm familiar with various DevOps technologies and how GoogLeNet is working. With GoogLeNet, you can upgrade the application in real-time without downtime. This feature is currently not available in Oracle. If we can do everything in the database without downtime, that would be beneficial for the users.

I've been using Oracle Database for more than eight years.

If you get Oracle Database set up right the first time, it'll run many years without any errors. There are no problems with the database itself, but if it isn't configured correctly or you execute something incorrectly, that can cause a problem. If we use a database in the application and there is a problem, we can quickly fix it.

We can quickly and easily scale Oracle Database.

Oracle technical support is wonderful. We've had no problem with that.

The Oracle Database setup is not complex. The rack setup used to require a lot of specialized knowledge about how to set it up, but it has been simplified. For deployment, we create and execute, which takes about three to four hours.

We were able to handle the deployment through an in-house team. And every two or three months, Oracle releases new security patches and bug fixes. So we check if it's relevant to our product and apply it. We have around six to seven database services, so we manage it when it is released.

Oracle is very expensive. So if I suggest Oracle to a client, they'll often say it's too costly.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Oracle Database 10 out of 10. I would recommend it. I've worked on many database solutions, like MySQL Server and Sybase, and Oracle is the best based on my experience. If you are considering implementing Oracle Database, I suggest thoroughly reading all the documentation first. Then, figure out a strategy for implementing it and all of the software you'll need. Before you start the setup, you should have full knowledge of the process.

MR
Senior Database Administrator Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Straightforward to install, stable, and scalable

• "Oracle is a stable product and we plan to continue implementing it."
  • "The cost needs to be reduced because right now, all of our customers are asking us about how they can migrate to any open-source database."

What is our primary use case?

I support the backend and administration tasks for the databases in my organization, and for our clients, and Oracle is one of the products that I work with. The tasks I perform are things like creating the database and then maintaining it. I do not work with specific use cases but rather, provide support for them.

All of our databases are accessed remotely and are hosted on Linux servers. It is not always easy to manage, considering things like the firewalls that are in place, so we have our own scripts for this.

What needs improvement?

The cost needs to be reduced because right now, all of our customers are asking us about how they can migrate to any open-source database. This is a very common question and I have been checking our ability to migrate, as well as the tools that we have for doing so, to a product like PostgreSQL.

Oracle is an RDBMS, although most of our customers are now moving towards Big Data. There are open-source databases and you don't need a schema. You can store whatever you want. I would like Oracle to do more for Big Data in the future.

I have been using Oracle Database for more than 12 years.

Oracle is a stable product and we plan to continue implementing it.

This is a scalable solution.

We deal with many database products including Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and others.

The installation is straightforward. We have both on-premises and cloud-based deployments.

The amount of time required for deployment depends on whether it is a single instance. This time of installation may take 30 minutes. Our installation scripts make it easy to do.

We handle all of the administration tasks including implementation, installation, daily operation, as well as backup and recovery procedures.

In some cases, we have to provide high availability for our customers. Some of them may already have a cluster, so we would implement it. We also provide technical support to them.

We are a team of 10 database administrators.

This is an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

This is certainly a product that I recommend for large enterprises. However, for smaller companies, we can use an open-source database. That said, if you need something that is highly available and scalable then you have to choose Oracle Database.

Hybrid Cloud
YL
Lead - Cloud Engineering at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A good default database that is easy to use and offers very good technical support

• "The solution is extremely stable."
  • "The pricing of the product could be better. It's too expensive right now. They need to bring down the cost."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for multiple applications. The solution can hold a lot of applications.

What is most valuable?

It's been one of the best databases for us. We really enjoy its capabilities.

The product is very easy to use. Users have no problem navigating it and using it.

The solution is extremely stable. It's pretty much issue-free so far.

You can expand it easily. It's scalable.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The deployment is easy.

It's a good default database. Many Windows applications also work on Oracle.

Technical support is very helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal with the product could introduce more security features. It would make the solution that much better.

We've been using the solution for a few years now. We have a good amount of experience at this point.

The solution offers excellent stability. Its performance is very reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very good. It's basically been issue-free.

The solution is very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease.

We have about ten users on the solution currently.

We've reached out to technical support in the past. They've been very helpful and knowledgeable. We've contacted them very rarely, however, when we have reached out they have been responsive. We're very satisfied with their level of service. They are quite good.

The initial setup is not complex or difficult. It's very straightforward and easy to implement. A company shouldn't have too many issues with the process.

We have a team of two that are able to handle the deployment and maintenance aspects. You don't need a lot of people to watch over it.

If the solution was less expensive, they would get man more clients. The pricing can be an issue for many.

What other advice do I have?

We always use the on-premises deployment model. We never use cloud-based deployment models.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. We are quite happy with the capabilities. It's a very, very good database.

Florent NOPOUDEM
Senior Database Administrator at ITGStore
A stable and scalable solution which is easy to install and offers great support

• "Optimization of databases, RAC, Data Guard Replication with Data Guard and RAC Database are the best features."
  • "There is a new version of Oracle and Database Firewall, version 20, for which I would be interested in receiving training."

What is our primary use case?

For the Database solution, I'm working with the 12c version. For Security Solution, I'm working with Oracle based Audit Vault and Database Firewall, versions 12 and 20.

We use the solution in Cameroon, where I reside, for payroll purposes.

What is most valuable?

Optimization of databases, RAC, Data Guard Replication with Data Guard and RAC Database are the best features. The solution offers many features. We try to tailor the deployment to the needs of the company involved. Some need replication, others optimization and still others, RAC.

What needs improvement?

There is a new version of Oracle and Database Firewall, version 20, for which I would be interested in receiving training. For the moment, training is not an option. Having the time to undertake this does not pose an issue for me, as I would speak with my supervisor to allot the requisite time.

I have been using Oracle Database for nearly four or five years.

The solution is stable.

The version of the solution being employed today is definitely scalable.

We work as a partner company with Oracle and have a representative in our region to whom we can appeal directly for collaboratively resolving any issues which may arise with our clients.

We are satisfied with the support. While we don't encounter issues on a daily basis, there has not been a single time that we have failed to resolve one when it has arisen.

The installation does not take long. They have provided a simplified edition on the hardware and database of the latest version of Oracle Database Appliance, a product I have recently installed. It is quite user friendly and makes things easier than has been the case in the last five years. With the improved installation, the solution is now easy to install.

The licensing costs are on a yearly basis, although I am a technicican and am not involved in this process. This is in someone else's purview.

What other advice do I have?

In NFC Cameroon the solution is deployed on-premises. When it comes to Oracle Database, certain companies are deployed on-cloud and others on-premises. We have yet to deploy on cloud.

We have many clients, ranging from medium sized to very large. We have assisted more than ten clients in implementing the solution in our data center.

I rate Oracle Database as an eight out of ten.