Michel Timp
Enterprise Architect | Founder Timp-iT at Timp-iT
Works great on any kind of platform

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is the ability to work everywhere on every kind of device, because I'm a Mac addict and actually it's quite good on the Mac."
  • "Sometimes it is quite hard to get a grasp on what features are going to be available at what time. For instance, we had to wait for a very long time on the breakout rules in Teams. There is a roadmap and there are also some blog posts, but you never know when you're going to get it. So it would be preferable to get it more in advance."

What is our primary use case?

Interestingly, for one of my customers it is a hybrid model. With several others, it's on-premise and some of them are moving towards cloud only.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, sometimes it is quite hard to get a grasp on what features are going to be available at what time. For instance, we had to wait for a very long time on the breakout rules in Teams. There is a roadmap and there are also some blog posts, but you never know when you're going to get it. So it would be preferable to get it more in advance.

Because it is such a large suite of applications, it would be beneficial to have less overlap. So for instance, you have the Power Platform and you have all kinds of applications that you can use. But there's also the Teams Platform, which has an overlap with Kaizala, and Kaizala is not developed anymore. So that would be something to think about.

The other feature that could be improved is the management of the Waffle, the start menu of Office 365. It is quite limited in how you can manage that menu. Some of my customers want to use it as a portal from a SharePoint perspective and they want to have some application files in there. They don't want the whole feature set. Waffle management could be better.

I have been using Microsoft 365 Business for about five or six years. I only started my company last February, so from my company perspective, it's only been a year. But I do have experience with Office 365 for many years now.

In terms of stability, I haven't found any limitations, accept at the beginning of the COVID-19 period. Initiation of OneDrive and SharePoint was kind of tardy because of the massive use of Teams at that moment. So Microsoft kind of scaled down and that was noticeable, but that's basically it and it was fixed.

I was in contact with technical support because my hosting provider could not find the problem. Microsoft contacted me directly within a matter of one hour or so, the issue was detected and it was solved within the next hour. So that was okay.

I am absolutely satisfied with Microsoft technical support.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

It is a fair price but sometimes the licensing can be quite complex. In that case you have to fly in a license expert, but I think for small businesses it's very cost efficient. It would be beneficial if was be a non-profit license model for healthcare organizations. In this case, they tend to just use a limited amount of functionality in the Microsoft 365 because of the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Business 365 is to go use it. It is a brilliant service delivery solution for small businesses as well as for larger businesses that don't want to be responsible anymore for their on-premise environment because if that should fail there is a loss of information and a loss of productivity, which they cannot afford.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Microsoft 365 Business an eight.

Hybrid Cloud
MK
Deputy Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable with good dashboards and an easy initial setup

• "The stability of the product is excellent."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for email.

What is most valuable?

The solution's dashboard is its most valuable aspect.

The product is very user-friendly in general. It's not complicated to use. They've made everything very easy and intuitive.

The product is very direct. Having the application on the phone, downloading it to your mobile device, makes it also easier to connect to your email, to receive an email, and of course, send emails. Since it's on your device, you can use it remotely and have access to everything you need.

The product is very secure. It's safe to use and Microsoft offers good security to protect its users.

The stability of the product is excellent.

You can scale the solution if you need to.

The initial setup is not a complicated process. The cloud makes it very easy.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be better. They should work to make the costs more competitive.

In the off-chance there is a shutdown, it would be ideal if Microsoft provided some sort of alternative in order for businesses to keep functioning while the situation is dealt with. Even if it is down for ten minutes across an organization, it could prove costly.

I'm not sure how long I've been using the solution. IT had it installed on my device. I've likely been using the solution for one year.

The product is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable.

The solution scales well. Of course, you can add more users whenever you need to. For example, if someone has an account, you can just add new users to it. If you are a company of 50, you may originally purchase 50 licenses. However, if you add 10 more employees, you can buy additional, licenses for 10 people. It's very easy to expand.

Currently, we have about 50 users, more or less, in our organization.

I've used Gmail in the past, however, I find the Microsoft product to be much more refined.

The initial installation is not complicated. It's in the cloud, and therefore, it's mainly, for example, just creating a user account. On one side, the account is created, then the order is just to add in user information. That's it. There's nothing to install. It's more like creating accounts for the users. Automatically, they will receive an email to alert them an account has been created for them. After that, they can start using it.

It wouldn't take more than a day to finish setting everything up.

You only need one person to deploy the solution.

The maintenance is minimal. You would only need about one person to manage it.

The solution could be cheaper and more reasonably priced.

We pay for our licenses on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user of the product. I don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'm using the latest version of the solution.

I would recommend that everyone downloads the mobile application, as it makes it so easy to access and use.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft 365 Business. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CM
Lead Business Analyst at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with good integration capabilities and an easy to use interface

• "The solution is stable."
  • "It would be ideal if there were fewer features. I'd like it better if it had a watered-down version where you didn't have to have all of this extra stuff included."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for documents and email.

What is most valuable?

I've used Microsoft for the last maybe 25 years to 30 years. I just use it due to the fact that that's what we're using at work. I have no choice. That's what we're using. Overall, over the years, I've been happy to use it. After so long, I've grown comfortable with the interface and how it works.

The solution is stable.

The solution has amazing integration, however, I never use that aspect.

What needs improvement?

I've used the solution for so long, I am very comfortable with it. I don't recall feeling anything was missing in terms of features or capabilities.

It would be ideal if there were fewer features. I'd like it better if it had a watered-down version where you didn't have to have all of this stuff included. It would just be easier to find the things that you use all the time if that were the case. For example, it has a lot of mail features I have no need for.

I've been using the solution for years. It's been a while. I'm not sure of the exact amount of time. It might be as much as 25 to 30 years, at least as far as using Microsoft is concerned.

The product is stable. There are no bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. In general, it's reliable and the performance is good. I have no complaints.

I can't speak to the scalability. It's not something I handle directly or make decisions around. I've never tried to scale the solution. It's simply on my laptop and I work on it. That's about the extent of my involvement.

We have an organization of 8,000 people. Likely, everyone in the company is using it to some extent.

While I am not a decision-maker in the company, it's likely we will continue to keep using the product.

I've never reached out to technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

IT deploys the solution for us, the users. I'm not sure how the initial setup happened.

When I received the laptop, the solution was already installed and ready to go.

I can't speak to what type of maintenance is needed if any. it's not an aspect of the solution I handle.

Our IT team handled the implementation process.

I don't pay for the solution directly. Likely, my employer does. I don't deal with the pricing or licensing aspects of the solution.

I'm not sure if our organization looked at any other options before choosing this solution. I'm not a part of that decision-making process.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using. I don't know the version number off-hand.

I'd recommend this solution to other organizations. I'd rate it ten out of ten. It's worked well for me and I'm very comfortable with the product.

RB
Software Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Very stable, easy to use, and simple to implement

• "We've found the solution to be quite stable."
  • "It would be ideal if the licenses covered more devices. It would be nice if one license, for example, allowed a user to have it on at least five devices."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it in our company for business purposes. It's mandated that we use it. Our company uses it primarily for the Microsoft Office Suite - including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. It is used for everyday work in the office.

What is most valuable?

We have found One Note and One Drive to be very useful applications.

The solution is very easy to use and is designed to be very user-friendly.

We've found the solution to be quite stable.

The scalability is good. It's been sufficient for our office needs.

The initial setup is extremely simple and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution could provide us with more storage. It's always good to have more space available if we need it.

It would be ideal if the licenses covered more devices. It would be nice if one license, for example, allowed a user to access it from at least five devices.

Microsoft should add Visio to their business suite and not have it as a separate application.

I've been using the solution for at least two years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution, over, has been very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance has been reliable.

The solution can scale well. It is my understanding that we have one terabyte of storage and I'm not yet filling it up completely. It's sufficient enough for us in terms of size and scope.

We have about 200 users on the solution currently.

We likely will expand the usage. If we add employees, we will add them to the solution. As the business grows, our use of this product likely will too.

I've never been in touch with Microsoft's technical support. We have our own in-house IT engineers, and, if we run into any issues, we call them.

That said, there haven't been any issues with this product and therefore technical support hasn't really been required.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It's very easy and quite straightforward.

You just need an internet connection, a working account, and that's it. It's very fast to deploy.

I set the solution up myself. I did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant. It was very easy to handle without outside professional help.

The solution offers different licensing options. My understanding is that they have a lifetime license as well. Although I use this solution through my company, if I were to purchase it myself, I would likely choose to go with a lifetime license.

What other advice do I have?

Our company provides us with Office 365 and I am using it on my phone, on my tablet, and on my laptop. I use the company account.

I'd rate the solution, on a scale from one to ten, at a nine. There isn't any other solution on the market currently that can compare to it or compete with it.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

SH
IT Strategy, Management Consulting, Training and Development at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
A user-friendly and complete tool, easy to install, and help is available online

• "It is a complete tool."
  • "With such a complete tool, it may be difficult for a beginner to use without help."

What is our primary use case?

You can use Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access, which is a database.

You can make frequent presentations to customers, and create invoices.

What is most valuable?

Excel is a very powerful tool. I can create a lot of data in Microsoft Excel and then use it and extract the data in any analytics platform.

It is a complete tool. It gives me every kind of feature that I want. It's quite good.

When you talk about ease of use, it's relative. I have been using Microsoft products for a long time. I have grown with it and the product has grown with me. I feel comfortable. But, for someone with no background in IT that doesn't have the dexterity to play with the IT tools, they may find it difficult to use.

When you get used to it, it's like picking up a paper and a pen and drafting it. You can use many more features. A paper and pen are used to exemplify simplicity.

When using PowerPoint, I want to create a very illustrative presentation. I can draw many pictures globally with several designs. It's flexible. After preparing the presentation, I can preview the form and share it with people.

It's very user-friendly.

I can use this product from five devices. I can use it from my mobile, and I have two laptops. I can access it from any one of my devices, even if I am commuting or in another country, I can access all of my documents.

Microsoft OneNote is also included. I can create my shopping list, or go on a trip, and make all of my notes accessible on all devices.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft 365 Business for between four and five years.

It is a stable solution.

It's a scalable product. Most people in our organization use it.

We have approximately 50 users, maybe more.

With all Microsoft products, online help is available.

I have not had the need to contact technical support. I have not had any issues.

The initial setup was nothing at all. It was no effort.

It was very easy and very comfortable to complete.

Microsoft 365 has multiple packages. I use the auxiliary version. We can deploy all of them in 10 to 15 minutes maximum, but it depends on the internet speed as well.

I completed the deployment and implementation myself. It doesn't require any help.

It could be a little less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

You have the option of 1TB storage per user, or you can keep it on your desktop or laptop.

I can create documents in Microsoft Office and fill them in PDF. I use Adobe quite extensively. Between them, I don't need anything.

There is no other alternative, except maybe Google.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this product and I recommend it to others.

HimanshuTejwani
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good security, scales well, and offers good integration capabilities

• "The best thing about the product is the ecosystem of it. As most of our users are using Windows and it's a product of Microsoft, we find we get amazing performance."
  • "The user interface could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its various applications, including Excel and Teams.

What is most valuable?

We like that it's a cloud-based solution that we can work with like a desktop application.

We really like it as a productivity tool. We get a lot of really great applications such as Excel, OneNote, Teams, and more. These types of tools are quite helpful to our day-to-day.

The best thing about the product is the ecosystem of it. As most of our users are using Windows and it's a product of Microsoft, we find we get amazing performance.

The integration between the apps is great. It's awesome that it's so interconnected even between users to make sharing easy.

The solution scales well.

There's good security on offer.

We've found the product to be quite stable so far.

What needs improvement?

I haven't encountered any issues with the solution so far.

The user interface could be a bit better.

I've been using the solution for about three to four months at this point. It hasn't been too long.

The stability has been very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable. The performance on offer is good.

The scalability of the solution is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease.

Everyone in our organization is using the product. That's around 13,000 users.

We may increase usage in the future.

I haven't faced any issues that required a call to technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are, having never dealt with them directly.

I didn't handle the installation personally. It was managed by our IT team. As I didn't participate in the process, I can't speak to how easy or difficult it was, or what the deployment process entailed. I'm not sure how long it took.

It's my understanding that a single person can handle the deployment process.

Our company has an IT team that can handle the process in-house. We do not need the assistance of an integrator or a consultant.

There is a license that you need to purchase in order to use the product.

I've taken a look at Google Suite, which is very similar to Office 365. While Microsoft is a paid product, Google does offer some of its services for free, therefore, it might make for a good option for a startup, for example. Microsoft Office is a better product and it integrates more completely with companies that use a lot of Microsoft within their business. Google doesn't integrate.

What other advice do I have?

We are Microsoft customers and end-users.

The solution really does meet all of our requirements, and we've found that it's an improvement on just Outlook.

Overall, the product has been amazing. I would rate it at a ten out of ten.

KH
Data Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and inexpensive with great collaboration capabilities

• "The product has good pricing. It's quite inexpensive."
  • "The customization after the initial setup can take a while."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using it for our office.

We are using it for email as well. Our Outlook email is on Office 365.

We also use the other items that come with Office. It's great for task managers, schedulers, and has great document sharing software. We use Sharepoint.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it is a great product. So far, we are enjoying it.

In Office 365, the collaboration part whereby you can actually type your document on your machine, then upload or save it onto your Office 365, and share it with anyone that you want. You can actually edit it in real-time. That's one of the great strengths of Office 365.

The solution is very stable.

The solution scales well.

The product has good pricing. It's quite inexpensive.

What needs improvement?

We haven't used the solution for very long just yet. I can't say that I have come across missing features or faults in its design.

The customization after the initial setup can take a while.

The solution could always be cheaper, as we like to pay the least amount possible.

As long as the solution continues to add new features and grow out the offering, we will be very happy.

I've been using the solution for about a month or so now. It hasn't been that long. It's still quite new.

The stability has been good so far. It does not crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches that I have experienced. it's reliable. The performance has been quite good.

The scalability of the product is quite good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease.

We have roughly 2,500 users on the solution currently.

Even though we have only used the solution for about a month or so, we have been in touch with technical support and we have found Microsoft to be helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with their level of service so far.

I didn't directly participate in the initial setup and therefore can't speak to how easy or difficult the product was to install. Microsoft handled it for the most part. We, however, did the work of customizing it on our end. For us, the customization and configuration took us a few days. It was more than a week. It took some time.

The technical team that deals directly with the product is a team of about ten or so people.

The installation was mostly handled by Microsoft.

I'm not quite clear on the financials. I'm just too technical, and I don't work directly with billing and payments. But I think from what we have seen so far, it's been quite cheap.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's been very capable so far, and we enjoy the real-time file sharing and editing aspects.

I'd recommend this product to other organizations and users.

Pawan Mendiratta
Head of infrastructure and security at New Delhi Television Ltd
Good features, good integrity and confidentiality, and no need to manage anything

• "Feature-wise, everything is okay. We are getting the latest version of the application. You also don't need to manage anything. Everything is running at the backend. The best part is that even if there is a failure in the on-prem active directory, users can still access mails. You can configure MFA easily and protect the mailboxes. Integrity and confidentiality are there. In this aspect, I am very happy with Microsoft."
  • "The security features and the engine they are using are not good enough. They are not able to protect you from phishing attacks, which is the biggest drawback of this solution. We have been getting phishing emails, and I have been chasing Microsoft every single day. In terms of configuration, all the controls that they have recommended are in place, but we are still getting a lot of phishing emails. I would like to see a feature that allows us to share a folder from an online archive, which is a sort of mailbox attached to the primary mailbox. Currently, you can share folders, contacts, and calendars only in the primary mailbox. You can't share any folder or other things from the online archive. The limit of the primary mailbox is 50 GB, whereas the online archive is unlimited, so it would be useful if we can share a folder from the online archive."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for emails.

What is most valuable?

Feature-wise, everything is okay. We are getting the latest version of the application. You also don't need to manage anything. Everything is running at the backend.

The best part is that even if there is a failure in the on-prem active directory, users can still access mails. You can configure MFA easily and protect the mailboxes. Integrity and confidentiality are there. In this aspect, I am very happy with Microsoft.

What needs improvement?

The security features and the engine they are using are not good enough. They are not able to protect you from phishing attacks, which is the biggest drawback of this solution. We have been getting phishing emails, and I have been chasing Microsoft every single day. In terms of configuration, all the controls that they have recommended are in place, but we are still getting a lot of phishing emails.

I would like to see a feature that allows us to share a folder from an online archive, which is a sort of mailbox attached to the primary mailbox. Currently, you can share folders, contacts, and calendars only in the primary mailbox. You can't share any folder or other things from the online archive. The limit of the primary mailbox is 50 GB, whereas the online archive is unlimited, so it would be useful if we can share a folder from the online archive.

I have been using this solution for more than six years.

I interact with them on a regular basis. There are certain cases that we opened two years back, and they are still pending. To enable MFA for a specific user, the admin has to be a global admin. If you want to enable or disable MFA, you have to reach out to the global admin, and we are just waiting for this feature to be enabled.

We moved to this solution because running Exchange Server on-prem is more expensive than moving to the cloud. We don't need to bother about backup, storage, or other things. In on-prem, you have limited storage, and you need to have a team of at least 15 people maintaining Exchange Server for backup, AD, and other things.

If you go with Microsoft, they will give you 80 GB in advance and all those kinds of features. They will also keep asking you to go from E1 to E2, E2 to E3, and now E5. Their prices are high, but as long as the organization is happy to pay and your emails are working seamlessly, it shouldn't be an issue.

We are now evaluating Cisco Email Security, which is better than Microsoft. Google is also there, which can save you some money, but I personally don't like Google's Gmail for business.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go for it undoubtedly. I have been using Microsoft products for more than 30 years, and it is my favorite email solution.

I would rate Microsoft 365 Business a nine out of ten.