AlienVault Review
Activity alarms and events contain a plethora of useful and very descriptive data

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of AlienVault is as a SIEM tool.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has streamlined productivity by having all the information in one place. It has really helped eliminate a lot of manual work because its automation is pretty robust and important. It puts everything in one place for me.

It is also helping us get HITRUST certified, which is a certification we need for New York State. So this tool is a requirement, and it's going to help us stand out with New York State.

What is most valuable?

It's hard to pick just one valuable feature for this product. I like everything the product has to offer. The dashboards are very descriptive and contain just the right amount of information. The activity alarms and events contain a plethora of data that is very descriptive and useful.

Vulnerability scans, IDS  scans, asset scans. It's pretty much the whole USM Anywhere tool. Everything in here is pretty important. It gives you all the vulnerabilities of your assets. It goes through and it actually shows you the software on there, if it's missing patches, the operating system.

Overall, I find that this product is amazing.

What needs improvement?

Honestly, the product itself is great. The only room for improvement I can mention is the initial installation procedures. I found that the online installation instructions for the product were missing important details, they lacked necessary steps. The product itself is fine.

Less than one year.

I encountered some stability issues only because of a lack of knowledge regarding my network equipment and because AlienVault support was also not familiar with it. As long as you follow the recommendations for system requirements, there shouldn't be any issues.

No issues with scalability. We're only a company of 50 people, so I haven't had any issues whatsoever yet.

Technical support is very helpful. They know their product. The one person I used was very responsive. He actually called me, checked in with me, to make sure the issue we did once have was fixed, and that I was satisfied. I really appreciated his perseverance.

It would help if they knew more about different network hardware. I realize that there are so many different types that it is next to impossible to know all network equipment and its compatibility with their product.

The initial setup procedures were definitely missing some key steps. They need to keep in mind that not everyone is an expert on network equipment and perhaps be more descriptive and provide more details. That would have been helpful.

I think they look at it as if you're a very knowledgeable person. I hate saying the word "dumb," but they need to dumb it down a little bit and think about all the types of people they need to hit, not just the people who have been doing networking for 20 years. They need to keep in mind that there are people who are just out of college or who are not as
knowledgeable. They need to keep in mind that all walks of life need to be considered.

I just hope that AlienVault realizes that they need their instructions to be a little bit more detailed and descriptive. Through the troubleshooting I did with them, they realized that there were issues, and they put in a request to update their instructions.

So far, I feel the product's pricing is a good value. The technology is decent. You get what you pay for. I think it's fair.

I did look at other options but I don't recall which ones. We were vetting for a while, but this one came highly recommended by a company we use locally for pen and vulnerability testing. They recommended AlienVault because they've seen it used in the area and they liked it a lot. We vetted it and said, "The heck with it. We're going with them."

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. Just get it.

1 Comment

Tami AndrewsVendor

thank you for your feedback & review of AlienVault and USM.

13 August 18