AT&T AlienVault USM Review

Allows for log management, vulnerability scanning, and file integrity monitoring.​

What is most valuable?

It's a single solution that is meeting the needs of multiple of my PCI compliance objectives.

How has it helped my organization?

I was able to replace our log management solution with this product. A single server that allows for log management, vulnerability scanning, and file integrity monitoring.

What needs improvement?

The alarms section of the USM is very robust, yet I still find myself having to look back through the events to find more details. It would be nice if I could navigate straight to the event from the alarm.

I've been using it for six months.

I had a renegade plugin that was installed by the company who helped me with the initial setup. The plugin was missing a command to rotate logs and would fill my hard drives capacity to full quickly. Fortunately AlienVault support identified the problem and reported the issue to the designers. I opted to not run that plugin anymore, and probably still will not trust it even after the rotate function is fixed.

I have the ability to scale out further from where I am if necessary, so I have not had any scalability problems.

10/10

We did not previously have many of the systems that AlienVault offers. We switched to get a robust single solution.

The initial setup is both straightforward and complex. You can get the system up and running without any outside help but you will be missing out on many of the finer detailed features if you go that route. I appreciated getting professional setup help as I do not have enough time to dedicate to just learning USM. I also attended the five day training which was very valuable.

Speak with a rep to get the correct design. AlienVault will scale depending on the size of your environment but the licensing gets tricky when you get away from the single unified console.

I was not able to find any other tool that was able to meet as many needs as I the AlienVault USM. I spent the entire trial testing AlienVault to make sure it would suit my needs.

What other advice do I have?

Use AlienVault's free trial of the USM. They will help you get the system installed which is very helpful to make sure you get test best test possible.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
author avatarTami Andrews

Thanks Trevor for the review & updated comments.