AT&T AlienVault USM Review

We already used a lot of the open source products in this suite. This brought them all under one roof and allowed one person do all the work.

What is most valuable?

The SIEM and intrusion detection.

How has it helped my organization?

We already used a lot of the open source products in this suite but they were too cumbersome for our IT team to handle. This brought them all under one roof and allowed one person to do what 10 could not in a few hours a day.

What needs improvement?

They need to be faster in developing custom plugins.

We've been using it for six months.

We've had no issues so far and the product works great.

We have not scaled it yet but it handles our entire environment without a problem.

4/10 - they need to provide faster responses to emails.

We previously used Splunk for SIEM.

It is a complex product, but a lot less complex than the products it's built on like Snort and Splunk.

Get the Virtual Appliance and build the unit yourself. The software is the valuable piece as AlienVault is not a hardware builder and the machine they sell is fine but you could build better yourself for much less.

We also looked at Solarwinds SIEM and network monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

Go slow and get everything into your SIEM so you can do some really neat correlations and alerts.

More AT&T AlienVault USM reviews from users