AT&T AlienVault USM Review

What is our primary use case?

We use AlienVault to collect all mission-critical logs and to pull data directly from G Suite. It provides our small IT operation with an easy-to-use tool to assess our security operations.

How has it helped my organization?

Before AlienVault, we had no central log collection tool of any kind, let alone security monitoring. AlienVault provides us with a very easy to use, central spot to view log files, and take appropriate action. It allows our small team the ability to take cybersecurity seriously.

What is most valuable?

The fact that AlienVault is several tools in one is most valuable to our small team. We can collect logs, and also actively scan our network for vulnerabilities all from one tool.

What needs improvement?

Long-term I'm genuinely concerned about AT&T's ownership of AlienVault. I have never had a good relationship with AT&T in +15 years, and fear they will destroy this good product.

Concerned long-term, due to AT&T.

It is very scalable, just ask them to increase the amount of storage.

Tech support has been a bit slow lately, and the level-1 techs do not have all the power they should have.

Before AlienVault we had nothing. We learned about AlienVault through a company we contracted to do a full vulnerability assessment. They used AlienVault, so I felt like if it was good enough for them, then we should be using it.

Very simple, just follow their directions step-by-step and you will be fine.

I did the implementation myself. Their documentation made it easy.

I'd push them for pricing. I sense the best time to negotiate with them is in June as the fiscal year ends.

We found other tools to be out of reach for our small department, so we did not seriously look at others.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful with AT&T, make sure you are confident the tool will be what you expect throughout the life of your contract. Make sure AT&T isn't going to change anything on you suddenly.

1 Comment
Tami AndrewsVendor

thank you for your feedback!

03 January 19