Avaya Wireless [EOL] Review

Reporting issues are slow and painful and it needs a controller

What is our primary use case?

We use it for shop with 22 APs with an 8 feet high ceiling.

How has it helped my organization?

1. Avaya wireless was sold to Extreme three years ago with all LAN gears.

2. The advanced APs are working correctly. The low-end APs aren’t working correctly. After three months of troubleshooting and four patches, we ended up replacing the APs at our own expense.

3. Lesson learned: select a brand with a controller. Avaya claims that their AP with an embedded controller makes the central controller obsolete. With our controller, deployment is more difficult as roaming between AP relies on device thresholds. Android, iOS, Dell PC, Spectralink barcode readers all have different Decibel thresholds ranging from 72 DB to 104db. A controller watches mobile devices as they move and instruct the nonoptimal AP not to talk to the device.

What is most valuable?

The powerful radio is the most valuable feature. The WOS makes management and troubleshooting easier.

What needs improvement?

A controller is needed.  I would like to see Extreme as a migration program on their AP that uses a controller.

Avaya's APs were OEM with firmware provided by another firm. Reporting issues were slow and painful.

5 years

The higher-end APs are stable. But without a controller, devices some time choose not to connect to the best AP.

AP can register hundreds of devices.

The vendor team spent more than 100 hours of on-site working on all issues for 8 weeks. They successfully completed the project to our satisfaction.

We previously used Motorola 802.11b with a controller. It was retired and unsupported. Newer 802.11a devices could not be used.

We were using Avaya and Nortel IP phones. We were hopeful that supporting Avaya Wireless IP phone over Avaya Wireless AP would be simpler. We also replaced the LAN switch.

Extremely difficult.

We implemented it through the vendor team. The product was newly introduced. Neither vendor or vendor support had the required experience and product knowledge.

We added it to replace the low-end APs with the high-end ones. The price tripled. Avaya sold the product to Extreme after 18 months. We’ll to switch again.

The product is too expensive and does not provide small enterprises with any advantages.  There are many licenses required. Even a management license is required to use the wireless orchestration software.

What other advice do I have?

Avoid it.