AWS Cost Management Review

Good reporting helps us to budget properly, but it needs to be simpler for non-technical users

What is our primary use case?

We have all of our virtual machines on AWS, so we use the AWS Cost Management tool to track our spending. It helps us to understand our bill.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution did not allow us to design the budget for each project internally. In any case, we have gained an understanding of the cost of common resources for each of our projects. But we are looking at different market solutions such as CloudHealth or Cloudability.

What is most valuable?

All of the reporting features are good, as they allow us to track monthly expenses.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to be easier for non-technical people to understand their budget. Some people from Business or from Finance do not find the tool easy enough to use. By comparison, there are other tools that make it easier to involve the entire team because they are dedicated solely to the financial aspect. Essentially, I want a platform that is easily accessible by everybody in the company and that is not the case with the tools from AWS.

I would like to have a better and easier accessibility using SSO.

We need finer-grained control over the roles and policies for users, specifying their permissions as to what they can look at.

We have been using the AWS Cost Management tool for two months.
It is this solution that give us trusted data.

This is a stable solution. It has been in development for a number of years and has matured.

This is a SaaS solution and it is scalable.

I have not been in touch with technical support. Instead, we rely on our in-house expertise.

We did not use a similar solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is time-consuming. For external Tier of solutions, we have to configure roles and policies, an s3 bucket with Costs Usage and Report (CUR) for handling all of the resources that we manage. These include read-only permission for some users and roles. In our company, we have a lot of accounts. I use Terraform to assist with this process instead of doing it all manually.

We have three people in my team, but there is a group of up to ten people who will have to deal with FinOps issues.

One last thing without good AWS resource tagging and compliance, It will be impossible for you to have a detailed view on costs

This is the de facto solution, so we did not evaluate other products before choosing it. However, we are currently searching for another solution because there are a lot of missing things that we need. For example, we want something simple that has one single point for login. We would also like something that is easier for non-technical people to use.

It would be helpful to have a feature that helps to write a budget. For example, you supply a budget of $10,000 and it will show you what you can do with that over a period of time. It would allow you to find cost-savings based on the resources that you need.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)