AWS Firewall Manager Review

Has good centrally managed rules and good central orchestration

What is our primary use case?

We use the publication firewalls to manage all these rules and the group view. It's for all the GDPR rules for the publication firewalls rules. In every department each day we discuss the GDPR calls, or we'll have acquired rules. Some of the rules can be copies of the all the existing rules plus a few nuances that each has.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the centrally managed rule. I also like the central orchestration.

What needs improvement?

The logging needs improvement. The Firewall Manager logs are fine but when it comes to the actual logs for the firewall, that's where there is a problem. Enabling and configuring the logging is not that straightforward.

I have been using AWS Firewall Manager for two years.

It's stable.

We never had any issues that we needed to contact technical support. We never had to open any tickets for Firewall Manager. For other solutions that we have used Fortinet support for they do their bit, then they give us documentation, and they'll give us the support we require.

The initial setup was straightforward. The time it takes to deploy depends. I do all the manual deployments. The rules for the group vary. Most things are manual, we do not use any templates or anything. Simple rules require two to three weeks. I think that's pretty normal with any new solution. After the rules and groups are set, then it's easy to replicate.

What other advice do I have?

I would say if you have three or four deployments in your environment, then use Firewall Manager. If you have one and want your deployments to grow further in numbers I would always advise to go for Firewall Manager. When we do a neck to neck comparison it's all different.

My recommendation to go with Firewall Manager depends. I feel that when it comes to firewall protection, I would always prefer AWS. If you're looking for full-fledged network firewall capabilities, obviously go for AWS Firewall.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.