BlueCat DNS Edge Review

Highly scalable but doesn't provide us with the visibility we need

What is our primary use case?

It's our DNS server. We have thousands of users. We're a university with over 70,000 students. The medical school alone has roughly eight to ten thousand users.

How has it helped my organization?

It's always good to have something on the window, right in front of you instead of recording on your subnets, routers, and devices. It's also easy to set up and configure, too.

What is most valuable?

It allows us to easily monitor our subnets and routers.

What needs improvement?

A more graphical user interface would be a benefit. It would be nice if I could click on a subnet and it would show me all of my links and everything. It seems pretty binary in the sense that it was just a little more advanced in the spreadsheet. A dashboard would be good.

It would be nice if within that dashboard I could click on a subnet and it would tell me my yellow, red, and green access. If it could show me graphically, what's up and down on that, subnet, that would be great.

I have been using this solution for one year.

BlueCat DNS Edge is quite stable.

We have thousands of users, including three dozen subnets — major subnets within subnets. On one subnet, we can have up to three to four dozen within a subnet. The tier is pretty deep; it goes into a class B or a class C range. Scalability-wise, it's pretty good.

I have never had to contact technical support.

I used to work in military contracting. There, we just used whatever the military provided us with. I forget the name of the solution.

The solution I used to use when I worked for the military was more graphical-based. It was a typology of our whole network; it had red, green, yellow, and blue ratings for our connections.

It had more of an in-depth graphical interface that allowed us to see our entire structure. It had more of a graphical user interface that allowed us to analyze our connection status. BlueCat DNS Edge doesn't allow us to do that.

This solution is very easy to set up and configure.

I was not involved with the pricing of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of six.

Find out what your peers are saying about BlueCat, Palo Alto Networks, F5 and others in Domain Name System (DNS) Security. Updated: June 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.