Check Point Virtual Systems Review

The product is stable but we had issues when we had really old hardware that had a less than stable OS.

What is most valuable?

The ability to host multiple virtual systems, categorize them based on their function and importance and the ease of use with which these can be deployed.

How has it helped my organization?

We do not need to keep provisioning hardware each time there is a requirement for a new firewall. Having a physical server capable of hosting many virtuals and also provide performance and redundancy is a big benefit and hence our preference for VSX.

What needs improvement?

Each new version does offer a new set of features plus also incorporates bug fixes identified during the life cycle of the previous product. Hence, this product keeps on maturing as newer versions are released.

More than 15 years.

Not from a product point of view. The critical aspect here is proper planning, performing several dry runs and identifying potential issues to the best possible extent. It's really about planning and testing prior to implementing.

No, because we keep on top of our installations. We maintain them by performing routine maintenance, and hot-fix applications. Stability wise the product is stable but we had issues when we had really old hardware that had a less than stable OS.

No issues encountered.

Excellent – the vendor always supports us and is very proactive. We have excellent relations with the vendor.

Definitely excellent. It’s a pleasure to talk with the tech support people and know they fully understand the issues – this gives us a sense of comfort.

No previous solution used.

It was simple. That is because the solution is architectured and designed from the ground up and the relevant teams were involved from the beginning.

We did an in-house implementation.

Cannot give exact figures but we have made a lot of saving by implementing this product in our organization.

We were clear on our options – no we did not choose any other options save for the most important ones.

What other advice do I have?

Think of VSX as similar to VMware ESX solution. It will, in the long run, save a lot of money with the return it gives to the company. It is easy to maintain by a capable support team and can easily fit within the network where there is a requirement.

1 Comment

author avatar

We have found VSX solutions to have lot of issues in our customers networks... Also hard troubleshooting and some anomalies are common. More than one customer feel safer with phisical Check Point appliances rather than VSX and decided to roll-back after some time of use (12 months of production). I can't raccomend this product, if you're looking to firewall instance virtualization, look further and you can find more mature solutions.