Cohesity SpanFS Review

An integrated solution with good snapshot capabilities, stability, and scalability

What is our primary use case?

It is used as a storage repository for SQL backups, and we also do some S3 repositories.

What is most valuable?

It has snapshot capabilities. We take advantage of those.

What needs improvement?

Its read performance can be improved. It is just slow in comparison to other file systems, but a lot of it also has to do with the fact that they have a limited number of spindles under each node.

I have been using this solution for a year and a half.

Its stability has been good.

They are very simple, and they expand.

They are good. They may have been stretched a little bit recently, and they have been a little bit slower to react than normal, but generally, they are good.

We switched over to it because it is an integrated solution that includes DataProtect and the platform. It has other use cases for enterprise search and can also do things like antivirus.

It is pretty simple to set up right out of the box. Within a few minutes, you are up and running. It is very simple.

I won't talk about specific numbers, but it is a little hard to compare it to other products out there because there is nobody out there that does exactly what they do. If you are just comparing it to another NAS box, it is probably going to look higher, but that's an unfair comparison because it does things that a NAS box can't do.

What other advice do I have?

SpanFS is Cohesity. It is not a separate product. SpanFS is DataPlatform. I would recommend Cohesity to anybody. There is a constant chain of feature releases and capabilities that they're adding on a regular basis.

I would recommend Cohesity SpanFS an eight out of ten.

6.5.1