Continuum Command Review

Easy-to-use interface, simple integration, and good ROI

What is our primary use case?

We are a 100% services company. We don't give any software. Our clients are MSPs who are using Continuum, ConnectWise, LabTech, or Kaseya and want to monitor and manage these servers and desktops and take care of assets for their own customers. For example, you're going to be an MSP and you purchased Continuum for your customers, but you don't have the resources or the skills to make the most out of it. We use our experience and knowledge of Continuum and help you set up things and manage your customers. We run everything behind the scene. We are the people who work on the Continuum tickets and help them.

How has it helped my organization?

We do not use any specific application but according to me the idea behind building this software is to ensure that it is easier for MSPs to use. Let's say that I'm going to be an MSP. I go and buy Continuum for my own clients, and I deploy it on ten servers. They are also monitored and managed by Continuum behind the scenes. If I have to give access to the customer, I can actually give the customer portal to them, and they can use the same portal.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is the first valuable feature. The integration is the second valuable feature. The integration that you are doing with the products needs to be very certain. There shouldn't be any glitches. There are different software out there that will give you an option called scripting and ask you to do a hundred different things to set up a script for a particular customer. With Continuum, everything is done a single way. You just select the clients, script, and machine, and then you just go and deploy.

The best part of Continuum is that it is not just a software company. It is a pure services company. It is an RMM software; it isn't used as a PSA. The software is just a part of the service offering. This is the difference between all other service providers out there and Continuum. Continuum is basically providing services. Continuum doesn't sell the software.

What needs improvement?

They may include support for vaulting, where you can actually document the entire infrastructure, including servers, desktops, networks, passwords, maps, diagrams, and customer information. Continuum has integrated everything, and you have to use a PSA. Continuum has a ticketing system and an RMM. They could integrate the functionality for IT documentation. An MSP would want everything into one tool. Existing users with Connectwise PSA may not need it since they have entire things already documented under their own portal and assets mapped against it.

I have been working with Continuum for 15 years.

The agents are quite stable. Most of the time, everything runs behind the scenes. The MSP agent does not have to bother much.

It needs maintenance only a few times. You can send an advance broadcast to your customers to let them know. There is a database that runs behind the scenes, and this database needs some sort of maintenance. When that happens, you can send a broadcast, maybe 15 or 20 days, in advance.

It is scalable because it is SaaS. The MSP does not have to worry about the number of seats to buy, the software to buy, and sizing. There is no issue with the sizing, and if there is no issue with the sizing, there is no issue with scalability.

They have different service plans for customers. They have care, manage, and monitor plans. They also have different service plans for desktops.

They provide support through chat, phone, and email. If you need support, you can activate the chat support any time during the day because they are available 24/7. They will remotely take control of your machine and start working with you. I would rate their technical support a seven out of ten. At times, it becomes difficult for them to work remotely. A few times, we had communication issues, but as far as the resolution and technical things are concerned, I don't see any issues with them.

I have worked with ConnectWise Automate, and we also have customers who are using Datto, Nable and much more.. According to me Continuum is a service driven company. They don't just hand out the tool to you, and you can go on your own. As far as Datto is concerned, they have a decent enough user interface. Datto is integrating everything and perhaps doing the same thing that Continuum did in the past. They also have a SaaS model, but they are still a product company.

There is also a difference in the price. If you work with Datto, they will only give you a product. You have to configure everything. You also need to monitor it on your own and put your team to manage the service and everything else. Continuum doesn't offer any such product. It is a pure services company.

I have also worked with LabTech. It is easier but requires a lot of configuration. I don't find it to be user friendly. The console and the user interface are a bit tricky. People who are used to using a web interface would have thought time. Ofcourse, they have training and hands on as well.

It is a Saas-based solution. You don't have to deploy anything. Clients have their own portal. You just have to get a login from them, and you can create your sites and start deploying agents in the first hour. The deployment takes two minutes. Their engine is very smart. Unlike other RMM providers where you have to decide whether it's going to be a DNS server, DHCP server, or something else, Continuum has something called smart monitoring. Continuum will try and learn on its own that it is going to be an exchange server. It will actually configure the monitoring based on it.

We help MSP's set it up including our years of experience and knowledge. We are people who help them make most out of it.

We've seen a lot of MSPs who have grown by using Continuum. I really do not see any challenges working with this solution. It has been something that most MSPs prefer, even if it is going to be a bit costlier. They pay a good amount per agent per month, but they don't mind it because it is going to save a lot of labor work for them.

Everything is available with a single click. Of course, you get a lot of tickets because when the monitor gets configured, it will be sending you tickets, but once you have a proper plan, there is nothing else that you have left.

I have a partner or customer with whom we've been working since 2010 or 2011. They were a 4-person company, and now they are a 25-person to 30-person company. It was possible because they had a process that aligned more or less towards what Continuum does. By using Continuum, their life got much easier because they have accessibility from anywhere.

It has a pay-as-you-go model. They don't have any minimum, maximum, or such sorts of commitments with any of their partners or customers. I don't believe they have any restrictions about using a specific number of agents. You don't have to use 100 agents or 200 agents to work with this.

They may have a lock-in period of three months, during which you cannot switch a service plan, which is fine.

Like I mentioned we are RMM Independent services company.

What other advice do I have?

There's a race between a lot of service providers or RMM providers out there. They give a lot of options for MSPs, including lowering the cost. MSPs need to understand their offerings and the needs of their customers. If they are a company with more or less five to ten people and they want to focus more on the customer-facing part instead of actually working on the server and desktops, I would say Continuum is the best solution for them because they won't be paying money per agent per month.

With other RMMs, you will save money as far as the product is concerned, but you also need to spend time. Your team members need to work on each and every server and identify the issues that are happening. It is like a circle. You pay less for the software, but then put your own people to service, or you pay more for the service and get what you are really looking for.

My advice is to first understand whether your customers are ready to pay for such services and whether there will be thorough monitoring and management on a 24/7 basis. If yes, then for the initial stage, Continuum is the best solution to go for. If you're going to be managing 100, 200, 500, or so machines, then perhaps Continuum is the best way to start off. If you're going to be a very large MSP, such as someone who is managing more than 5,000 or 10,000 assets, it is a different story altogether.

Continuum also provides resources. As an MSP, if you are using Continuum, and you want someone to take care of your day-to-day activities and be a part of your company, Continuum can help you with your operations.

Continuum has been improving this solution continuously. They are getting customer feedback through every event and channel. They have technical account managers who go to the customers, understand the requirements, and get them rolled into their own product development team. The feature perhaps goes to the beta phase, and then it is launched.

I would rate Continuum an eight out of ten. As far as the IT documentation part is concerned, they may have been working on it, and we may get something out soon. Apart from that, I don't see any issues with the product itself.

Find out what your peers are saying about ConnectWise, SolarWinds, Kaseya and others in Remote Monitoring and Management Software. Updated: January 2021.
456,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.