Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks Review

Good GUI, however lacks features overall and tends to eat memory

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our endpoint server and endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

There aren't many features we find valuable on the solution.

They have a new GUI which is just fantastic.

What needs improvement?

The solution eats memory of the computer, unlike anything I've ever seen. It eats more memory than Chrome.

I have a lot of users that are eating my memory each hour every day and it's causing us problems. We have to go and buy more memory for each computer. When you have a lot of computers like we do, is not a very good situation.

Some of the computers are only using 4 GB of memory, so if you put aside the differences, most only have some Chrome, some internet, and Office and that's it. And yet, the memory is getting eaten.

If someone catches something like malware, or something else, I want to know if the file was spread to other machines and what the target was. I want to be able to get ahead of the spread. This solution doesn't do enough to protect us against these types of vulnerabilities or to give us much information about the spread. The tool really does need some more reverse engineering features.

There's an overall lack of features.

The initial setup could use improvement. Currently, I must go to each machine and deploy everything manually. We are in 2020, not in 1980. It seems like such a dated way of doing large deployments.

I've been using the solution for a year and a half.

When I was experimenting with stability early on, I did run into issues when testing the solution in the sandbox.

Eventually, it catches one of the executive files and if you go to the management section of the solution and you release this file, it takes seven or eight tries to do it. You need to keep trying, again and again, using the same procedures to release the file for usage. That was in the beginning and we still have this issue, even though they made a new GUI for management. It's still not resolved.

We have several hundred users.

I had some issues initially in the sandbox when I was testing scalability.

I have reached out to technical support in the past. I find dealing with them is like talking to a wall. They aren't terrible, however, you don't really get any guidance. They ask over and over to get us to send them dump files and we do over and over. After all of the back and forth, nothing is really resolved to our satisfaction. You're paying for their services, and you don't get the level of service you would expect. It's a pain point.

The initial setup was not complex. It was very straightforward.

The deployment did take a lot of time due to the fact that we had seven hundred computers.

What other advice do I have?

We simply use the solution as a customer.

I would not recommend the solution. I'd advise other companies to rather go with Palo Alto's firewall as a better option. I've already advised others not to touch it. It's not worth it at all to even consider using it.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten. Their new GUI is very nice, however, as a professional service, it's lacking in a lot of areas.

More Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks reviews from users