Dell EMC SC Series Review

Many features like a snapshot, replication, on-the-file RAID levels, and mix-and-match files

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for daily business and normal IT operations. We also use it for replication of one system to another system. We also use it for the hostings for HANA virtualization. Those kinds of replications and IT applications. We use a hybrid version.

What is most valuable?

It had a lot of integration and supported all the platforms, so I was happy with what they were offering. The biggest selling point was when the vendor upgraded it. Dell upgraded the software licenses sold with that. Whenever the hardware is end-of-life, we could upgrade the controller or add a new disk or whatever. There was no lifecycle of three years or five years. We could carry on just by upgrading. It had many features, like a snapshot, replication, on-the-file RAID levels, mix-and-match files, those kinds of things.

What needs improvement?

Dell could improve the upgrading process. It was the lifecycle that made it very short. You'd upgrade the disk, and in eight, nine months, it would be obsolete. They cancelled an enhancement that included an all-flash unit. This would have improved the product.

We had worked with this product from Compellent's days before Dell bought them over, so I'll presume from 2006.

We never had a single crash with this product. It was just fine.

The support was excellent. We had this storage for a while and server monitoring from Compellent.

Any IT company can do it. It's straightforward.

Pricing is market-related and is flexible for the solution. Pricing depends on varying life cycles.

What other advice do I have?

We're trying to move some people across to some other storage solutions because this product is at end-of-life. I would give this product 10 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
More Dell EMC SC Series reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with HPE Nimble Storage
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC SC Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,975 professionals have used our research since 2012.