Dell EMC Unity Review

It is scalable and supports small environments and larger deployments.

What is most valuable?

• Fiber channel connectivity
  • Fast cache features
  • Support of VVOLS
  • 10GB NICs
  • Support of high performance and rapid provisioning/expansion options
  • Deployment time is quick from unboxing to setup
  • Scalable
  • Supports both small environments and larger deployments
  • Supports hosts connected via fiber channel directly to the unit without the need for fabric switches

How has it helped my organization?

Unity 300 is now the go-to storage device we use as we virtualize our infrastructure.

The SAN currently exceeds our requirements in terms of performance. We have estimated for 30% growth per year for three years. The configuration purchased had storage capacity and performance to match these requirements.

EMC provided a slightly alternative solution using all-flash negating all disk I/O, latency, and contention issues. We have seen a huge performance increase due to all-flash that is beyond what was anticipated. In three years, when the storage is close to its limits capacity-wise, performance will be greater than necessary.

What needs improvement?

The SAN provided by EMC exceeded our expectations. The only room for improvement I can see would be a faster leader time and lower cost. However, even with the lead time we had (which was approximately 10 days at the time of order) and cost we are very satisfied with the product.

I have used EMC Unity since June, 2016.

We have not had any stability problems.

We have not had any scalability problems.

Technical support is excellent. They have rapid response teams, ESRs, and the EMC account managers are always available.

We had no previous SAN solution.

The initial setup was very simple and instructions were provided in both documents and video tutorials.

Licensing ranges from $20K plus for a decent configuration. AFA configurations start at about $25K.

We looked at multiple vendors including NetApp, HPE, IBM, and Nimble.

What other advice do I have?

There is currently a long lead time on 3TB SSD disks due to a shortage of materials in the USA.

1 visitor found this review helpful