Dell EMC Unity Review

Allows us more scalablility, as we don't have to overbuy a solution that can't scale out

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is block storage for healthcare IT.

It has performed very well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to be more scalable on the solution that we are buying, not having to overbuy a solution that we can't scale out.

What is most valuable?

The compression and deduplication which will be coming in version 4.3. With just those features, we will be reducing the amount of data and footprint on our hardware.

What needs improvement?

Among the biggest features that I wanted was deduplication, looking at the zeros coming in, in-line, and those will be available in version 4.3. There is nothing else I can think of at the moment.

Stability has been pretty rock solid for us. We actually did have one outage that was due to a bug in the code which caused the kernel to just run off on itself. It was a known bug. We probably should have been up on the newer code. We were a level behind. Although that bug was known, it caught us off guard.

Since then, we have had no issues with the stability. We have had 100 percent uptime.

Scalability is great, anywhere from upgrading the SPs to adding disks.

I would evaluate the technical support as doing pretty well. I have never really had an issue with Unity's support.

We were using a VNX solution, and the reinvestment was partially due to its age as well as support contract renewals.

When selecting a vendor, it often comes down to price, but we have been pretty much a Dell EMC customer for years. We look for their products, and it is traditionally pretty easy to move from product to product.

Very straightforward; simple. No Professional Services were needed on our install.

What other advice do I have?

I give it a 10 out of 10. I like it for what our application does.

I would recommend it.