Dell EMC Unity Review

Review about Dell EMC Unity

How has it helped my organization?

It helps our customers save money because it's at a price point where a lot of our customers can easily bring it in for different projects and it will also provide for DR. I find that the cost has really enabled them to do a little bit more with it.

What is most valuable?

It performs great. Customers really like it. I've had a lot of customers go from the previous platforms up to Unity. They've noticed better performance with it.

What they really like is the easy licensing now - Dell EMC has caught up to a lot of their competitors - based on not having to charge for everything, and they can get everything in one bundle.

Ease of management is one thing I get a lot of good feedback regarding as well.

The flexibility is also important. We still have a lot of customers that have a use case for non-flash, yet you can also build the flash version as well.

What needs improvement?

I would love to see more compatibility between the different platforms within Dell EMC's portfolio.

Stability is great. It has been very rock solid.

Now that they can do the controller upgrades, it's really helped them out a lot, and it'll help to be able to scale more. They're not just trapped into one model and, instead of having to do a lift and shift of all the data, they can now do head upgrades.

The support is still going through its growing pains right now, with the merger of the two organizations.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it an eight out of 10. It's very frustrating that it's not backward-compatible with the previous platforms, so it's a struggle for a lot of our customers. We can overcome it, but it's a hard conversation to have with them sometimes.

Go in open-minded. If you're used to the old VNX platforms you'll be pleasantly surprised.