Dell EMC Unity Review

Gives our customers simplicity, streamlines management

What is our primary use case?

Most of the systems are replacements for ancient VNXs. For most of the customers, we suggest they be replaced by Unity.

How has it helped my organization?

For our customers, the benefits are that it's not too expensive and it has almost all of the features from the beginning.

What is most valuable?

• Simplicity.
  • Ease of management.
  • It's still running on the ancient systems, so the customers know what they are getting.

What needs improvement?

I can't really think of any improvements for the next release.

The ease of installation, sometimes, for the customers, is not that positive because the customers think they can do it themselves. Sometimes that is a bit of an issue.

Very stable. Sometimes you can have issues, but they are usually solved with an upgrade of the system.

We have had two issues: replication between two Unity's, and when running several Snapshots on the Unity.

Scalability for us is not yet much of an issue because most of our customers are running on rather small systems.

Sometimes our customers use tech support but, generally, tech support is in order.

Setup is very straightforward. Compared to the VNXs, it's rather easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the Unity at eight out of 10, because of the ease of management compared to the ancient systems. For us, in Belgium, it is more small and medium businesses, so Unity is a good solution.

My advice is to choose the Unity.