Dell EMC Unity Review

There has been no downtime. It has built-in redundancy upon redundancy.

What is our primary use case?

It is for our production. We also have a second one for disaster recovery. We use it for our VMware storage.

It's done everything we need and we have had no issues.

How has it helped my organization?

Since we have gone virtual, we've been using the SAN and the speed on our servers has increased along with the time to reboot and time for maintenance. We have built in our company's backup redundancies and the SANs both have Unities with replication, which has benefited with speed and reliability.

What is most valuable?

• Speed
  • Reliability
  • Support

It is easy to manage overall. It is all web-based. It has a an easy, nice dashboard. I receive emails if there are issues. When there are any updates, I receive emails. I can either do them on my own, but normally I schedule them with Dell EMC and they remote in, then it's done.

What needs improvement?

If there's anything Dell EMC could do to get the same performance for a cheaper price, that would be great.

It's awesome. It hasn't missed a beat. We haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. Speed has been great. It does everything we need.

There has been no downtime. It has built-in redundancy upon redundancy, so I feel very confident with it.

I'm using 25% of the available space for that drive. I can scale it as far as money could spend, as far as I can tell.

Their support cases are all handed through the portal. The support contacts me when they need to do upgrades. It has been great. It's all very well-handled, scheduled, and performed.

It's all been email-based portal cases. When they schedule remote sessions, they're on time. They get the job done and have been helpful every time I've needed them. I give them an A+ for support.

We were not using anything previously. We had 15 physical servers previously, so we knew it was time to change. This was part of a VMware virtualization project with SAN for the storage, so it made sense for us to go physical to virtual and use EMC Dell.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The vendor implemented it and is knowledgeable.

By doing virtual and reducing our footprint of servers, we're definitely not pulling as much power as we were. The time savings of not having to do virtual reboots rather than physical reboots of boxes.

ROI probably has been more in time and uptime than in dollars saved. We have definitely had more uptime in the past year since we've been on this than we've had in previous years.

Dell EMC has a great portal for the licensing. It's very logical and easy to license.

We integrated it with VMware vSphere at no additional cost. As we moved into VMware vSphere, this is what we bought to go with it for our storage performance.

What other advice do I have?

When we were purchasing the product, we didn't have a capital budget for it. I sat down with my boss (the COO), and went over upcoming projects. We looked over the dollar values and if they fit. If it does fit, we do it. We went with the VAR that sold Dell EMC in our city and from there it was done. This made it very easy.

If it fits your budget, do it.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: brand and support reputation.