Dell EMC Unity Review

We look to update our datastores while operational, but we have had hardware issues

What is our primary use case?

We use it for ESXi data stores and performance seems to be okay so far. We've only had it a couple months. We have it integrated with VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are the stability and that we're able to contact Dell EMC support for a quick turnaround. We have a higher level of support. If we have issues, they generally get fixed quickly.

What is most valuable?

Our hope is that they stay up, online, and that we will be able to update them while the data stores are operational. That is why we picked them.

Once it is set up, it is definitely easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

We've got an ongoing issue with a Unity in which some power supply fans spin up. We've had a whole bunch of hardware changed as a result but I still have an open SR, which has been a struggle. It doesn't seem to affect performance but it's something that we're hoping the engineers can resolve.

We have also had some issues with an upgrade where we can't manage a device, after the upgrade. So we had to have a ticket in for that.

Less than one year.

The stability has been fine so far. We're good during normal operations.

In terms of scalability, the size is fine for the environment we have. We're usually at about half the capacity, so we have quite a bit more we can expand with. It's good.

In most situations, tech support works really well. If there are technical logs that they can diagnose and actually pull something out of, fantastic. If there aren't, if it's an abstract sort of issue, like the fan issues we're having, where they cycle every six minutes, it's taken me about six weeks.

They didn't believe me that the environment was not too hot. So they sent a technician out just to make sure that I could read the thermostat, that it was 68 degrees in our office. Then, they sent someone out to reseed each component, which I had already done. I didn't appreciate that part because I did some of those basics. I did exactly what they had said on the phone. The third time, they actually replaced some components and the fourth time they just sent the components to be replaced. It appeared to work, the fan issue did appear to go away, but it came back a couple of weeks later, after an update. I'm not sure if it's update-related, but it came back.

Because I've done the setup before with the VNXe version, it was straightforward. It's very similar to the VNXe.

Licensing has been quite difficult. It doesn't always auto-license. About half the time, when I provision one, I have to contact Service to get a license, or even go to our account manager to help get it straightened out.

What other advice do I have?

Study the configurations of what you need to use and ensure you understand what you're provisioning. The procurement process can be a little daunting because there are a lot of features and there are a lot of components that you'll get set up with but which you may not need.

When selecting a vendor, what's important for me are global, 24-hour support; being able to get things fixed. After that, price, because we'll probably buy a thousand of them over time.