Dell EMC Unity XT Review

Consolidates all our data in a unique 2U configuration

How has it helped my organization?

The storage solution has all our data from all systems, including our new ERP; the whole organization depends on the storage to work. All data is in one location.

What is most valuable?

Real Unified Storage (Block, File, VVols) in a unique 2U hardware.

What needs improvement?

LUN mask. The Host LUN ID is sequential by access in the hosts. When one LUN needs access by many hosts (for cluster purposes), in some cases the Host LUN ID remains different on each host. Storage groups or global IDs for LUNs could be a good solution for this.

No stablility issues.

No scalability issues.

Very good.

The initial setup was very simple.

The licensing process is very simple and it has many features. I can't talk about pricing because I'm in a technical position and I do not have access to costs.

Yes, we still have a VNX5400 (block), before it was at a production storage site, today it is at a disaster recovery site. The change from VNX to Unity was because of the build of the DR site, a new ERP implementation, and to update the storage technology.

Other storage solutions need additional hardware to support file storage and the integration sometimes fails; or they offer fewer features.

We were EMC partners for some time, now Dell EMC partners. Our choices are based in Dell EMC products because we understand that the EMC technology is better when it comes to storage solutions. Among the EMC storage options, the Unity is the best choice when we analyze price, scalability, performance and  features.

What other advice do I have?

The Dell EMC Unity is a small but powerful storage solution. With the "unified" concept it is possible get many features for less.

More Dell EMC Unity XT reviews from users