Dell EMC Unity XT Review

Has CloudIQ integration, but storage groups are no longer available

What is our primary use case?

We bought a couple of 450F and 650F to replace our ageing VNX family. The primary use case is for block storage, and VMware for our tier-2 applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Moving away from Java-based Unisphere to the HTML5 version of Unity is a huge improvement for our day-to-day management. We are still in the process of getting things in place, but at this stage, I can say the configuration is pretty straightforward and doesn't require additional training to learn the product.

Moving also from a hybrid to an all-flash array helped us to minimize footprints in our data centers. It's like two racks of VNX 8000 down to a quarter rack of Unity 650F.

What is most valuable?

• New HTML5 GUI: It's really fast and works well on your favorite browsers.
  • Data reduction: We haven't seen the actual benefits, but with this feature, we are expecting to gain maximum efficiency.
  • CloudIQ integration: This provides really useful data and analysis.

What needs improvement?

• Storage groups are no longer available in Unity so you will have some challenges if you managed quite a huge environment in provisioning perspective.
  • Domain management is also gone in Unity. This is not an issue if you are managing less than two of this, but in our case, we have a number of this array around the globe.
  • All models are limited up to two I/O modules per SP giving you fewer front-end ports compare to higher VNX models.
  • Unisphere Central is not so useful as we expect. This will provide a centralized management of our arrays, but it ends up giving you only some numbers and figures for you to report to your management.

Less than one year.

650F
More Dell EMC Unity XT reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC Unity XT. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,962 professionals have used our research since 2012.