Dell EMC Unity XT Review

Easy administration reduces our admin needs, resulting in less overhead

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data storage, for file.

How has it helped my organization?

When it comes to provisioning and management, the solution has reduced complexity because we combined several systems down into one. We're utilizing that technology to see what we have available for file, instead of multiple technologies, and trying to converge all of that together to understand what our capacity management meets are.

Also, Unity's are more easily administrated, so we need fewer people to do the administration. We have less overhead because of that.

What is most valuable?

We do replication and snapshotting. We're using that as a backup technology to leverage snapshotting.

What needs improvement?

We went to the PowerMax because of the needs that we have for the business. We're doing true enterprise-level storage. So we went from Unity to PowerMax to give us that tier that we were looking for.

It's stable. It works well.

We had a lot of different solutions. They were all piecemeal'ed. We have manufacturing sites in 80 countries and every site did their own thing until corporate brought it back in. That's when we started to go with Unity. And now we're making the transition to PowerMax.

We use Dell EMC because they're the premier player.

We used one of our premier partners to implement it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to take this solution. It does what it tells you it's going to do.

Instead of using multiple types of backup or file storage, we were trying to combine all of that into Unity. Now we're trying to refresh that again and go with the newer technology, the enterprise-level storage. Unity met our overall performance expectations for what it is, and then we obviously needed the enterprise level, so we're going with the PowerMax now.

I would rate Unity at eight out of ten. Any application or product has room for improvement. I don't see anything out there that's a ten. Unity is functional for what it needs to be.

More Dell EMC Unity XT reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, NetApp, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.