ELK Logstash Review

Good monitoring and behavior prediction; troubleshooting tool could be improved

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for application performance monitoring. We are customers of ELK.

What is most valuable?

This solution enables us to monitor application performance from Elasticsearch and we can predict some behaviors for applications using ELK. This product is distributed and scalable which is good for us.

What needs improvement?

The troubleshooting or diagnostic tool can be improved to provide a better understanding of internal behavior and how data is stored. It would also be helpful if they were to release the next version as a plugin or an extension, or as a JAR file, for the latest features. When releasing a new version they currently provide a new stack which means everything needs to be removed before the new version is installed.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The solution is generally stable, although with each new upgrade there is an adjustment period. They upgrade versions very regularly and it's hard to keep up. By the time my environment is stable with the previous versions, they are already bringing out a new version.

Scalability is very good with this product.

I'm not satisfied with technical support because whenever you raise a case, it goes to some random support person who asks questions about the architecture. It's a waste of time. I'm a platinum customer so each time I raise a request, it should go to a dedicated customer support representative who knows my case. It's very difficult when you work in a highly secure environment to get all the logs and send the logs to them each time.

The initial setup is easy, but as you begin using the more advanced features like security and authentication with an AM and LM, then it becomes a bit tricky.

Licensing costs are high, they charge based on the nodes and the RAM. If I purchase a license for a 64GB RAM node and then want to have 128GB RAM, I can't because it's not in the contract so I have to pay on top of that. They removed a feature that allows me to provide multiple disks for one node so if I now want to add an extra disk to the volume, I have to buy a license for one extra node. It's very unfair.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for an organization that doesn't require a highly secured environment, because they'll have to deal with the issues of VM upgrades and installations. If it's a highly secured environment like a bank, then I suggest ELK cloud instead of on-prem.

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

More ELK Logstash reviews from users
...who compared it with Graylog
Learn what your peers think about ELK Logstash. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.