EMC AppSync Review
If you want an automated way of replicating your Exchange, Oracle, or SQL servers, this is the product for you.

Valuable Features

It's integration with SQL and Exchange for VSS-based backup works perfectly, the agent is easy to install, the GUI is easy to navigate and debugging is easy to enable/disable.

I also like the way it has all the Navicli commands to do a Snap or a Clone on the EMC SAN arrays bundled so that no scripting is necessary.

It's integration with Recoverpoint is also very useful for DR failover testing.

Improvements to My Organization

It means that the manual database scripting for truncating of the transaction logs is no longer required as Replication Manager has the inbuilt scripts to do this for you. I find this invaluable.

Use of Solution

I have used this product for several years now with no complaint.

None...it's straightforward to install and configure.

Replication Manager is a mature product now so all stability issues have long been ironed out.

From my use of the product, I would only recommend Replication Manager is a small-scale environment replicating up to 50 Servers/FileSystems/Databases. It works great on it's interaction with Recoverpoint and the various EMC NAS/SAN arrays but it's limited for replicating large enterprise environments.

Very good.

Very good.

I have not used any other Product that compares like for like with Replication Manager (Backup products like CommVault cannot be compared in the same category as RM).

Very straightforward...just click next, next....The product assumes that you already have a good working knowledge of your environment from Virtual Infrastructure (need vCenter Server hostname and login) to your SAN array configuration and finally to the hosts you are replicating. The install and configuration of Replication Manager will ask for these details during the install to be able to populate the hosts, storage and Virtual Environment (Hyper-V or VMware) if it exists.

Implementation Team

Implemented in-house.

Other Solutions Considered

Due to my past experience with Replication Manager, I did not hesitate to use this product as it perfectly suited my requirements.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: EMC partner